As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @Drake kindly gifted it to me, so I tried out Depths of Fear :: Knossos (why the double-colon?) last night. Although misleadingly pitched as Theseus vs. minotaur, my first opponent was a lowly satyr.

Armed with a wooden stick, a toga and a pair of sandals, I ventured into the darkness. Almost immediately, the satyr spotted me. Cue several minutes of running for my life, culminating with me hiding in a cupboard. Yes, there are cupboards in the Labyrinth. (This part reminded me of Deadly Premonition. Good stuff!)

Once I collected my scattered wits, I devised a cunning plan to defeat the beast. I found a deep pit with spikes at the bottom, then intentionally provoked the beast. He charged and I fled, luring him to what I thought would be a spike-oriented death.

He did fall in the pit, but he became stuck with just his head poking up out of the top. The pit was clearly wide enough for him to go down, but he was just standing there on the empty air high above the spikes. Naturally I took this opportunity to beat him about the head with my trusty club.

While in the middle of applying a generous beatdown, the satyr suddenly vanished completely. He didn't fall down the hole. He just wasn't there anymore. I thought for a moment that I might be victorious...but no. He magically appeared somewhere else in Labyrinth, apparently no worse for wear. I confronted him, but going toe-to-toe with a satyr did not end well for me.

It was quite entertaining! There were also lots of bugs (which were also quite entertaining!)! I need to spend some more time with it to get a feel for things, but it seems pretty cool. Thanks @Drake!

Haha yes. Welcome to the magic of Depths of Fear. It's a sloppy game but it still works for me. You can feel the passion in it too. Kind of like how crazy shit happens in STALKER. It's the labyrinth, deal with it. The dev is pretty active on his Steam forum too and is very enthusiastic about supporting it. Hopefully that will lead to more fun for all. I found a cool item in my last session, a ball of twine. It left a glowing trail behind me that only I could see. It was a cool item with a useful mechanic that was straight from the myths. It's little things like that that make me smile when I'm playing the game. Or slaughtering skeletons that are stuck in the wall. Hey, it's the labyrinth. Just go with it.

Also you probably killed the Satyr, Heir. But unless you do it right he'll come back. Keep pressing ahead.

Drake on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bought ss on gog at full price, because I can Hope it creates a drive toward a sequel.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Last Express is also on sale, a game WAY ahead of its' time. Probably going to double dip if I can sell some cards.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    signature.png

I read about this games somewhat lackluster launch here.
    http://ggtriple.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/secrets-of-raetikon-dev-speaks-on-steams-game-dumping-pushing-indies-off-the-homepage/

It seemed to be combination of bad timing and a lack of effective marketing on the devs part to bring it to peoples attention.
    It got washed away from the new releases on the front page after a few minutes due to a wave or other releases at the same time.
    So maybe this giveaway will spur an extra sale or two.
    It certainly looks unique from what I've seen.

DaxterMax on
    Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    signature.png

I read about this games somewhat lackluster launch here.
    http://ggtriple.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/secrets-of-raetikon-dev-speaks-on-steams-game-dumping-pushing-indies-off-the-homepage/

It seemed to be combination of bad timing and a lack of effective marketing on the devs part to bring it to peoples attention.
    It got washed away from the new releases on the front page after a few minutes due to a wave or other releases at the same time.
    So maybe this giveaway will spur an extra sale or two.
    It certainly looks unique from what I've seen.

I love how 'everyone' whines about Greenlight not letting 'games that deserve it' onto Steam. Now that pretty much every game can make it on given its basically functional, thus allowing for 'games that deserve it' from just about any opinion to make it on, now people want better curation.

This just feels like an oh so wonderful example of being careful what you wish for, because they'll give it to you and you won't like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    So I notice Worms: Clan Wars is pretty cheap right now.

Firstly: Is it good?

Second: Would anyone be interested in multi-player shenanigans?

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So I notice Worms: Clan Wars is pretty cheap right now.

Firstly: Is it good?

Second: Would anyone be interested in multi-player shenanigans?

I have been up for playing a game of Worms since around 1998, when I first played Worms 2. However, I don't have any Worms games, so that is highly immaterial. ;)

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I think I own every Worms game but Clan Wars.

I should fix that, then find other people to blow up. Worms is fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    A Dark Souls 2 mystery/system spoiler to perhaps save folks some time.
    Will spoiler what it's even about since I'm sure for some figuring this stuff out is a lot of the fun. But I would have liked to have had an answer to this back when I was doing it.
    It's regarding
    Lighting torches/sconces
    It doesn't appear to matter beyond providing light. I mean there's sometimes benefits to a place being lit up or not. But there's no like, special thing that'll happen for having lit every light in the tutorial area etc.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    How horrible, I keep forgetting these!

signature.png

signature.png

As a DayZ Bambi, I'm recommending that you enter this giveaway, win it, then PLEASE join me in game so I don't die from silly things so often!

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Even though I've not been around for a great deal of time, primarily to avoid spending money on games I won't play, @Kristmas Kthulhu‌ has been kind enough to gift me Silent Storm 2!

Apparently we K/Cthulhus need to stick together.

Thanks a lot, man!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Hooray new thread smell!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »

signature.png

signature.png

As a DayZ Bambi, I'm recommending that you enter this giveaway, win it, then PLEASE join me in game so I don't die from silly things so often!

I've been looking for people to play DayZ with. It's scary out there and I get paranoid when I play alone

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I've been away attempting to work on my backlog. After skimming through the thread I have come to the conclusion that I should look into Dark Souls 2 and add it to the list.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Ok, I have a question for Steam Dark Souls 2 players: I know the port is "better" than the last one...but how are the analog sticks?

I couldn't play DS1 on PC after the PS3 because the analog sticks seemed to be stuck digital so it was still an all or nothing situation, which is not conducive to the D. Souls games. So: are the analog sticks truly analog? I know my computer probably isn't good enough right now so I'm leaning towards PS3 anyway, but PC is my jam these days so if the analog stick thing is fixed I might wait for an upgrade or something and just get it cheap on PC later.

Otherwise I'm buying it on PS3....very soon, most likely.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Spring Cleaning Giveaway Winners

signature.png @slappybag

signature.png @Masume

signature.png @Svevin

signature.png @DaringDirk

signature.png @Talus9952

signature.png @slappybag

Congrats! Games will be sent out shortly!

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Am I losing my mind or is no one playing FRACT OSC? It's hard to discuss because I don't want a single trace spoiled, but I want to shout about it to someone.

Cold opening, no explanation. Exploring a world that breathes in subtractive synthesis - figuring out its rules and language to progress. It's tickling me in ways both Fez and Proteus did, and catering to my synthesiser fetish at the same time. This game is for me.

• Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Am I losing my mind or is no one playing FRACT OSC? It's hard to discuss because I don't want a single trace spoiled, but I want to shout about it to someone.

Cold opening, no explanation. Exploring a world that breathes in subtractive synthesis - figuring out its rules and language to progress. It's tickling me in ways both Fez and Proteus did, and catering to my synthesiser fetish at the same time. This game is for me.

It is beautiful. I love all the big, fat, buzzing synth sounds and the super colorful Tronscape. The place is huge too, with little puzzles and mysteries all over the place. And as you figure stuff out you unlock features in your own sequencing studio. It's pretty great and I've been meaning to say something about it, especially since @SniperGuy‌ was asking about it the other day. There's just too many awesome games to play. The last couple of weeks have been insane and Dark Souls 2 is sitting up there on top of everything.

It's really good, great for people who like puzzles, exploration and playing with synthesizers.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    @Berylline clearly has no respect for hobbit traditions and decided to send a gift my way. That's not how it works, you silly bunny!
    (Thanks for Memoria! <3 )

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Icemopper wrote: »

signature.png

signature.png

I've been looking for people to play DayZ with. It's scary out there and I get paranoid when I play alone

Absolutely terrifying at times. Open a door while scavenging an otherwise empty area? 2 Zombies waiting for you.

Finally get some gear and make it to a nice overlook? 3 guys are headed right to your position.

Yesterday, I was hanging out with a buddy, having a good time, getting some nice gear. We were climbing a ladder to get to a vantage point in the area. I'm going up first, and the moment my head peeks out from the hole in the ceiling, I see a guy crouching, with his gun pointed directly at my head. He shoots me, my buddy freaks out, and I start screaming over Steam chat to "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE."

Really good times, all around.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    A big thanks to @Sumanai for Rabbit Hole 3D! I really love Alice in Wonderland, so I'll definitely be giving this a try soon! <3

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Ok, I have a question for Steam Dark Souls 2 players: I know the port is "better" than the last one...but how are the analog sticks?

I couldn't play DS1 on PC after the PS3 because the analog sticks seemed to be stuck digital so it was still an all or nothing situation

That's weird. I didn't have that problem at all in DS1 on PC. Either that, or I'm misunderstanding what you mean! But like - if I push up the stick a little bit, I walk slowly, push it up more and I run. (I'm misunderstanding, ain't I? lol)

Anyway, DS2 appears to behave exactly the same.

That said, after a fair bit of configuring and a fair bit of memorizing things, I have gotten KBAM controls working splendidly in DS2 and will probably not go back to controller. I say "memorizing" because just like DS1 all the on-screen prompts are XBOX prompts even if you're playing KBAM. This is annoying as hell, but I have better control (especially for maneuvers like jumping) so I can live with it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Mystery solved. Thanks @Dyvim Tvar for Iron Sky. I'm not sure if I should watch the movie first! With beer of course.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I appear to have been backstabbed while carefully prowling through dangerous places in Dark Souls 2.

millenium.jpg

Thanks @Scratchy! <3 I had heard some pretty positive stuff about this one and found the art appealing, so I look forward to checking it out! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    It very well could have been driver weirdness or something then, because yeah it was all digital: push the stick slightly, run full speed foward. The camera was awful with it as well, really hard to control.
    Not a huge loss or anything, I'm probably not going to bother trying again...pretty sure I have over 300 hours on the PS3 version. That probably helped with me being particularly sensitive to control weirdness too.

Sounds like I'm keeping my options open for now then. I don't absolutely need to play it right now (what is this weird feeling?!) so I'm just gonna keep my eyes peeled for future deals and see what happens.
    I'm predicting a willpower collapse around the time of my next paycheck, just watch. I am weak.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

I couldn't play DS1 on PC after the PS3 because the analog sticks seemed to be stuck digital so it was still an all or nothing situation, which is not conducive to the D. Souls games. So: are the analog sticks truly analog? I know my computer probably isn't good enough right now so I'm leaning towards PS3 anyway, but PC is my jam these days so if the analog stick thing is fixed I might wait for an upgrade or something and just get it cheap on PC later.

Get the Xbox 360 controller + wireless adapter and stop having troubles with PC games and controllers.

I tried a Logitech controller and the Dual Shock 2 via Bluetooth and both gave me headaches that simply weren't an issue with the 360 controller.

I get that maybe it's not your controller of choice, but I have not had one single issue using my 360 controller with ANY game... including games that are ancient and have direct input only. It's well supported, unlike the other options.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It very well could have been driver weirdness or something then, because yeah it was all digital: push the stick slightly, run full speed foward. The camera was awful with it as well, really hard to control.
    Not a huge loss or anything, I'm probably not going to bother trying again...pretty sure I have over 300 hours on the PS3 version. That probably helped with me being particularly sensitive to control weirdness too.

Sounds like I'm keeping my options open for now then. I don't absolutely need to play it right now (what is this weird feeling?!) so I'm just gonna keep my eyes peeled for future deals and see what happens.
    I'm predicting a willpower collapse around the time of my next paycheck, just watch. I am weak.

I'll say that I played dark souls on pc and ps3. On pc I used my dual shock 3 and scpds3 and it definitely (EDIT) was not digital. I was able to walk up behind guys no problem so it was either a controller issue or driver issue for you, I think.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Welp, I didn't anticipate this one. @iolo took advantage of his giftimmunity and sent me a mystery key. Well played, sir. Well played!
    The key ended up being Bioshock Infinite, woo! I've finally beaten Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den recently so this is perfect. Thank you! <3
    *Marks calendar for January 1st, 2015*

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I appear to have been backstabbed while carefully prowling through dangerous places in Dark Souls 2.

millenium.jpg

Thanks @Scratchy! <3 I had heard some pretty positive stuff about this one and found the art appealing, so I look forward to checking it out! <3
    I cant imagine it's actually any good, since it was made by the guy who made the laxius force games, which are all vile, awful games.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Big final tomorrow that decides my fate for the next year...I think I'm going to be sick. -,-

Thanks again to @Berylline for Really Big Sky who has graced me yet again with classiness and a Really Big Sky.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    I haven't checked out the Steam store in a while. I rebooted my computer, updated Steam, and most of the games in the "what's new" pop-up were early access. Most featured in the store were likewise more shovelware.

I am so glad I purchased a PS4. Steam is rapidly descending into a piece of shit.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Get the Xbox 360 controller + wireless adapter and stop having troubles with PC games and controllers.

I tried a Logitech controller and the Dual Shock 2 via Bluetooth and both gave me headaches that simply weren't an issue with the 360 controller.

I get that maybe it's not your controller of choice, but I have not had one single issue using my 360 controller with ANY game... including games that are ancient and have direct input only. It's well supported, unlike the other options.

Just get a wired 360 controller. It's cheaper and doesn't need batteries.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It has? Damn, I guess it must've gone all to shit in the several hours I've been playing dark souls and I haven't noticed it.

(I get the frustration of early access stuff clogging up the front page and the like, but saying steam is going to shit because of all the games that's going into the service is the craziest of hyperbole.)

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    I haven't checked out the Steam store in a while. I rebooted my computer, updated Steam, and most of the games in the "what's new" pop-up were early access. Most featured in the store were likewise more shovelware.

I am so glad I purchased a PS4. Steam is rapidly descending into a piece of shit.
    Because it offers more options? That seems silly. If anything, Steam's big picture mode and cheaper prices make me wonder if I really need either next gen console.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey everyone,

I've been a real slacker with the the holiday badges and stuff. School is winding down with just finals next and I get a little break before summer classes start. During that break I'll try to organize the badges and ship them off to Icy. There is not ETA on when Icy will have them loaded up since he is a busy man and this is not a pressing deal, so it'll happen when he gets to it. Once that set I can begin the process of awarding badgers and we're good.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I broke down and got that trading card bundle. Still waffling on whether or not to redeem all of the games, but in the meantime, here's some giveaways for those I already own.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Bad Hotel and To the Moon should include soundtracks, but I'm not sure if I can send them with? So assume I can't.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So I played more Men of War: Assault Squad 2.

The game is still overly fiddly (me and a friend spent a few minutes figuring out how to re-fuel our tanks from the supply truck) but absolutely has some great moments. Top moments from our last scenario where German armour defended against Russian tanks:

5) Shooting a shell through an open door of a house to hit the tank hiding in it's ruins

4) Shooting a shell through the thatched roof of a house to hit the tank hiding behind it

3) Shooting a shell through one tanks tracks and into the others hull

2) Discovering we had a mini flak cannon tank

1) cleaning up soviet tank crews with our flak buggy to a mentally playing theme of yakety sax.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So I played more Men of War: Assault Squad 2.

The game is still overly fiddly (me and a friend spent a few minutes figuring out how to re-fuel our tanks from the supply truck) but absolutely has some great moments. Top moments from our last scenario where German armour defended against Russian tanks:

5) Shooting a shell through an open door of a house to hit the tank hiding in it's ruins

4) Shooting a shell through the thatched roof of a house to hit the tank hiding behind it

3) Shooting a shell through one tanks tracks and into the others hull

2) Discovering we had a mini flak cannon tank

1) cleaning up soviet tank crews with our flak buggy to a mentally playing theme of yakety sax.

How does it stack up compared to Assault Squad 1? Because Assault Squad 1 was fantastic and the Men of War games since then have kinda been mediocre.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be able to say really. Not played any of the previous ones at all.

It's still very much a beta product though, it's missing Japan and Brits for forces for example and each sides skirmishes are only five missions long.

I certainly think it's fun even if I want to beat the developer around the head with ideas like 'how to design an intuitive interface' or 'shit that no one needs to micromanage'.

This discussion has been closed.