As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I certainly think it's fun even if I want to beat the developer around the head with ideas like 'how to design an intuitive interface' or 'shit that no one needs to micromanage'.

That's pretty much classic Men of War right there.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I certainly think it's fun even if I want to beat the developer around the head with ideas like 'how to design an intuitive interface' or 'shit that no one needs to micromanage'.

That's pretty much classic Men of War right there.

Yeah, but it really doesn't excuse how in some places it's super simple (giving extra shells to tanks and repairing tanks is literally a one click operation) but in others it's super fiddly (ammo to squads off of bodies, re-fueling tanks).

It could really just use a few options that let me go 'okay AI, there's some corpses to loot, sort it out yourself'.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I don't have it on hand who gifted me Dungeon of the Endless, but I've been playing it the past few days and things are really starting to click. Without almost no tutorial there's been a lot of trial and error (it's early access) but I'm really starting to get a grip with it's systems and what to build when and where etc. It's unlike any strategy game I've played before. The difficulty is a lot like what I experienced with FTL where "normal" is only normal once you understand almost all of what's going on around you, so expect to flounder initially.

There are a lot of significant decisions to make before and after each time you open a door - the game really revolves around this aspect. Trying to get your guys to the exit with your lumbering crystal-bearer is also very nerve wracking as your food stocks dwindle with emergency healing.

I've managed to reach level 3 for the first time yesterday, and I can't wait to give it another crack tonight

steam_sig.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So I just noticed that some of my cards can make a badge, and now the badge collecting bug has sunk its fangs on me. God help me.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz arena shooter zzzzzzzzzzzzz as beesz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the 1970's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz funkadelic buzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    goddamnit What do you mean badges can be upgraded?!

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I know there are some people on here who love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I just read about the Lost Alpha mod and it sounds pretty awesome. I just bought STALKER:SoC so I haven't even tried the vanilla version yet but I would be interested to hear what the veteran players in this thread think of it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    UK-ians: A quick heads up - it looks like you can get the new Thief for £6.50 Here for the next ten hours or so.

If memory serves, it registers on Steam, though as far as I know this is for a physical copy rather than just the Steam code (boo!).

CroakerBC on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Dark Souls II has captured my heart and my mind. Help!

camo_sig2.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »

If it hasn't already, Stockholm Syndrome will set in soon. Embrace it.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can anyone speak to me about whether I want Fallen Enchantress, or Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes?
    Looks like Gamersgate has both on sale, but aside from knowing that both are at least similar, I don't know which would be a better purchase.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @CroakerBC you want legendary heroes.

It's FE + expansion.

Only get FE by itself if you don't want cool toys and forward compatibility.

Elvenshae on
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Berylline‌ for Tiny Bang Story, and for hosting all those giveaways!

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2014
    And who is to say he wants forward compatibility? It might be nice to know that something isn't going to sit on our backlog forever if we never get around to playing it ;)

On another note, I'm assuming since Child of Light isn't out yet, no one has any experience with it? I think it looks really nice (a bit of a Ni No Kuni vibe (a real shame that that game was limited to PS3 only)) and I just got a code from GMG for 20% off

EDIT: Apparently there is a whole thread for this game. And through that thread it turns out that the GMG version is uPlay only, no steam. Unfortunately that's almost like a dealbreaker for me. I hate having to remember which service each game is tied to (even though I know I could add it as a non-steam game)

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Suds wrote: »

I really shouldn't download Dark Souls 2, the backlog is too great. But all my friends are doing it...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    UK-ians: A quick heads up - it looks like you can get the new Thief for £6.50 Here for the next ten hours or so.

If memory serves, it registers on Steam, though as far as I know this is for a physical copy rather than just the Steam code (boo!).

Addendum: Thief is awful.

s7Imn5J.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Addendum: Thief is awful.
    I paid 25 bucks for it. It was on sale for 16 bucks like a day or two later. I regret the purchase.

The sound design just doesn't feel important to the gameplay or even mood with most of it being visual from what I can tell as of chapter 6. I am playing on master and the most frustrating thing is the lack of quicksave. Instead, you have to use these little closets around the level if you want to get a save before a checkpoint. The game's linearity really works against it and the feeling of a believable world. So far it is kind of boring.
    I found the asylum mission in Deadly Shadows to be scarier than the asylum mission in the new game.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how much I hate an enemy spawning right around the corner. It means you run into enemies that you couldn't see coming.

Couscous on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Child of Light releases tomorrow.

Oh god.

Child of Light or Dark Souls 2? Light or Dark? DARK OR LIGHT?

I am going to be so conflicted!

I'll probably just end up a paralyzed ball of indecision curled up the corner somewhere.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    So there I was minding my own business, when 3 slugs crawled across my metal desk with a weird scratching noise. It was @Scratchy‌ , that classhole got me with Metal Slug 3! Thank you so much!

steam_sig.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Steam guard isn't sending me emails. I'm getting nervous even if it's LOLTUESDAY.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I beat dark souls 2! WOO! TIME TO PLAY IT EVEN MORE IN NG+! HOLD MY CALLS.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I beat dark souls 2! WOO! TIME TO PLAY IT EVEN MORE IN NG+! HOLD MY CALLS.

Woo! The Shart Moles blew!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

Enter enter enter!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Kicked my power cord last night and corrupted something very precious in Bionic Dudes.

edit:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/295770/
    I have pined for this type of game and I'm curious what the verdict is.
    RPS had this to say.

The roguelike-like spirit has meandered across video games history for a few years now, turning old things new with a little roguelike RPG kick, and now it’s hit the unusual host of wonky ’90s shareware FPSs. Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike launched last Friday, looking and sounding like something from the dark corners of a 1996 cover disc but pleasing with procedural generation and oodles of items and stats crafting and all that.

A hearty launch discount brings it down to £3.49 on Steam and a demo’s that-a-way too.

It is a mid-’90s wonky shareware FPS, with garish crude monsters chasing you around a 2D plane in 3D space station corridors. Running-backwards and circle-strafing (and sometimes maddeningly snagging on walls), you shoot them until they fall over. Meshed in with this is a roguelike-like layer of finding new items with new stats and abilities, levelling up to unlock new perks, repairing items, and a persistent progression of collecting ‘intel’ to unlock new starting loadouts.

It’s tricky to demo a roguelike-like, and Rogue Shooter’s hides what would be the game’s lasting appeal. It doesn’t offer enough to get a taste for the variety of items and skills that make such things interesting, or to get far enough for deaths to inspire furious streams of cussing. It’s locked to the lowest difficulty too. Nor do we get to unlock different loadouts, which one imagines will present some interesting challenges. But we do get to shoot things, which is somewhat key to the game.

The retro vibe is a curious one. Shooting looks, sounds, and feels weak because hey, it’s retro. The monsters are an eclectic selection of wacky aliens and carnivorous plants and whatnot because hey, it’s retro. Levels are sprawls of intersecting corridors because hey, it’s retro and it’s an unimaginative procedural generation algorithm. The style didn’t click with me, though I am but a mewling babe so the nostalgia may tug at your heart more. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBNVy7SV9E

RoyceSraphim on
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    Child of Light releases tomorrow.

Oh god.

Child of Light or Dark Souls 2? Light or Dark? DARK OR LIGHT?

I am going to be so conflicted!

I'll probably just end up a paralyzed ball of indecision curled up the corner somewhere.

This is an easy one: Child of Light. Only play DS2 if you hate yourself.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I couldn't take it any more. I splurged on Endless Legend. I'm really glad I did. It's already a fun game to play if you are familiar with 4x games. Especially if you like Endless Space, you'll see a lot of the structure return. FIDS is intact for instance. and the UI is of course similar. The four available factions are really interesting and a good ways off the standard, beaten paths of fantasy. It's all tied into the other Endless games in terms of lore, so I expect the other factions to be just as entertaining. It's also gorgeous, I love the maps. It's great to see this resurgence in 4x gaming.

Drake on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Plowing through some of the backlog this week.

In Darksiders II, if I'm just entering the Psychameron... anyone has any idea how close to the end I am? I want to finish that to then move on to something else, perhaps Bioshock Infinite.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I couldn't take it any more. I splurged on Endless Legend. I'm really glad I did. It's already a fun game to play if you are familiar with 4x games. Especially if you like Endless Space, you'll see a lot of the structure return. FIDS is intact for instance. and the UI is of course similar. The four available factions are really interesting and a good ways off the standard, beaten paths of fantasy. It's all tied into the other Endless games in terms of lore, so I expect the other factions to be just as entertaining. It's also gorgeous, I love the maps. It's great to see this resurgence in 4x gaming.

Could you please elaborate a bit on it? Specially for those of us that never tried Endless Space. It sounds really awesome and I'm currently contemplating the Founder Pack (currently $27 on Gamefly with coupon APR20OFF, for those interested.)

Come on, sell me on it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Plowing through some of the backlog this week.

In Darksiders II, if I'm just entering the Psychameron... anyone has any idea how close to the end I am? I want to finish that to then move on to something else, perhaps Bioshock Infinite.

I think you're over half way. You have two worlds left after that one but they are much shorter in comparison.

Could you please elaborate a bit on it? Specially for those of us that never tried Endless Space. It sounds really awesome and I'm currently contemplating the Founder Pack (currently $27 on Gamefly with coupon APR20OFF, for those interested.)

Come on, sell me on it.

Just look for one of these on the box!

4lwimkjgoofl.png

steam_sig.png

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Too many damn good games always coming out.

We are truly in a golden age of PC gaming.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    But they told us PC gaming is dead!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Come on, sell me on it.

I still haven't played Endless Space myself (though I have it), but I have played some Endless Legend and a shit ton of Dungeons of the Endless soo....

Visually it's immediately going to remind people of Civ V, it's the same sort of hex based everything, and 'fog' outside of your immediate view. play wise it's a lot like that too, initially, with some stuff from other games thrown into the mix. Like, say, Shogun or even HoMM (more on that in a minute) you have a 'Hero' that you move around, instead of individual units, yet that hero has units under his command, and can participate in combat him/herself, more like HoMM. Like Civ V, there are other factions that have their own borders, who you can fight with, trade with, and even assimilate. They'll sometimes attack you, other times leave you alone, etc. There's 'unallied' factions you can assimilate and faction factions that are the other players/PC controlled players. You'll get quests from your own faction, discovered from ruins, and other places, so on top of the usual 'straight forward' (haha) goals of 4X games of winning, you'll have little things to do here and there too to keep your attention.

Combat is it's own thing, unlike Civ V where you individually control units on the field outside of any 'set' combat, when you enter combat in Endless Legend the game moves into a hex-based combat system that still takes place on the same map(but in a controlled area-ish) but you have more options similar to Heroes of Might and Magic, more than Civ V. You can then place individual units of said 'Army' where you want and control who they're going after each turn, and it's pretty tactical. It's not that it's a lot different than Civ V once combat starts, it's how that transition is handled and what that means for you. You don't have to manually get each unit where you want prior to combat and waste turns, you can just enter combat and then use combat to place them where you want (within reason and based on your hero skills), so there's a lot of less prep work on the map and the game gets to the fun faster (IMO anyway). Later you get a structure to hire more Heroes, but afaik you can set up 'armies' without a hero, or at least individual units; but heroes are quite powerful and you want them.

On the 4X side, there's what you'd expect, research, diplomacy, trade, upgrading cities, choosing where to build to take advantage of resources, etc etc. It's not breaking a lot of new ground there, but it does it well and understandably.

It's got a slick UI (that granted takes a bit of getting used to, maybe less so if you've played Endless Space?), great visuals that communicate well what you need, and all in all has an excellent foundation to be a great 4X. I mean, it already is quite good, but it is still early access and it shows. I've ran into a few bugs myself, some features don't seem to work how you'd expect (or not at all), and it really needs a tutorial put in (though there is now a full manual with the game, which helps a lot).

I had initially told people to hold off till we see its support, but I had personally bought the founders pack based on their excellent support of Dungeons of the Endless; but afterward I played it some more and once I got a grip on the systems better changed my recommendation to definitely buy now if you like the genre, like their unified universe and (possibly most importantly currently) are patient and understanding of the Early Access aspect of the game. This is not a shipped product, it needs a good amount of polish and work, but it is perfectly playable with a bit of a learning curve, and already is feature rich.

I know, I'm not @Drake but nyah :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

Come on, sell me on it.

You can conquer independent factions and absorb them into your empire, giving you access to their troops. So far I've encountered a race of Centaurs, some crazy fire worm things, a bunch of demon summoning burning skeletons and a bunch who call themselves the Sisters of Mercy. I've recently taken the sisters into my empire and I'll be able to field their troops in my armies.

Which brings me to the military system. You have one army per tile. An army has a certain amount of command points, and troops use these points up. You can mix and match troops up to your available point limit per army. Then you can assign a unique hero to lead this army around. The hero gains experience and levels up and has skill trees and stuff. When you get into combat with another army, the camera zooms into the area of the map that will be the battlefield. You then deploy your army, one unit per hex across a deployment area. When you are satisfied with your deployment you go into a targeting phase. So far this phase has been static with deployment determining who my units target. I either don't have the tech/units to affect this phase or it's totally likely I'm missing something. Anyway, once you are done with the targeting phase you hit the button and watch the battle resolve. Your dudes move around on the map seeking optimal positions while attacking their targets. It's pretty neat and if you like you can also auto resolve any battle to save time.

Really I've only barely scratched the surface but I'm already finding the game easy to get into and very engaging.

Drake on
    Shimshai wrote: »

If PC gaming is dead then I think everyone in this thread are unabashed necrophiliacs.

edited April 2014

Come on, sell me on it.

You can conquer independent factions and absorb them into your empire, giving you access to their troops. So far I've encountered a race of Centaurs, some crazy fire worm things, a bunch of demon summoning burning skeletons and a bunch who call themselves the Sisters of Mercy. I've recently taken the sisters into my empire and I'll be able to field their troops in my armies.

Which brings me to the military system. I you have one army per tile. An army has a certain amount of command points, and troops use these points up. You can mix and match troops up to your available point limit per army. Then you can assign a unique hero to lead this army around. The hero gains experience and levels up and has skill trees and stuff. When you get into combat with another army, the camera zooms into the area of the map that will be the battlefield. You then deploy your army, one unit per hex across a deployment area. When you are satisfied with your deployment you go into a targeting phase. So far this phase has been static with deployment determining who my units target. I either don't have the tech/units to affect this phase or it's totally likely I'm missing something. Anyway, once you are done with the targeting phase you hit the button and watch the battle resolve. Your dudes move around on the map seeking optimal positions while attacking their targets. It's pretty neat and if you like you can also auto resolve any battle to save time.

Really I've only barely scratched the surface but I'm already finding the game easy to get into and very engaging.

Click your hero, go to his page and click skills. I'm pretty sure there's some that change your deployment range and such.

EDIT: hrm, no, that's not it; at least with Broken anyway. There's research options to give more army options like bribe and such. I could move my units around when combat started and change targets and all that, not sure what option it was.

EDIT2: Oh, ok; I haven't figure out if there's any way yet to enhance it, but while you're still in the deployment phase you can move your units anywhere you have blue hexes (or I would assume whatever color you chose for your faction). There's a few presets for advance/back off, but you can do the manual movement by selecting the units and telling them where to go; do all this before clicking 'Ready'.

The Dude With Herpes on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No no no, it was "dead to them".

Like, they just didn't understand any more.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular

You bastard.

Endless Space is one of my favorite things ever, and I love Civ. This cannot end well for my wallet.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No no no, it was "dead to them".

Like, they just didn't understand any more.

Motherfucking Wasteland - a game that came out in 1988 - is on Steam/GOG.

PC gaming is essentially immortal.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    The Gutter eh..... Noooooope!

Super excited for child of light. I need something bright and colorful and it can't come soon enough.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.