As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[X-COM: Enemy Within LP] Do not stand at my grave and weep.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »
    12 days?

'twas but a fleshwound, commander. let me at 'em!

also that German chick gives me the creeps.

12 days...

do we get HBO?

The good doctor was quite insistent.

Never fear, all of the sick bays are monitored. If she comes at you with a scalpel, we'll have the MPs down there in five minutes, give or take. :P

edited April 2014
    XCOM CENTRAL- COMMANDER [redacted]'S OFFICE
    COMMANDER [redacted]'S PERSONAL RECORDINGS- SECURITY CLEARANCE XC/SCI REQUIRED- TIME INDEX 0950

Bradford: Sir, this is Central Officer Bradford.
    [redacted]: Go ahead, Bradford.
    Bradford: Sorry to disturb you, sir, but we've got a transmission from the Council.
    [redacted]: A bit early for them to be pestering us for status reports, isn't it? We haven't even finished out our first week since going live.
    Bradford: Nothing like that sir. Apparently they have a job for us.
    [redacted]: Is that so? I'll take it in my office.
    Bradford: Yes, sir, patching it through now.
    [redacted]: Let's see, here....
    CouncilCalling_zps00e00137.jpg

[redacted]:Yes, dammit, I know. Open the damned thing.
    UnceasingSerpent_zpsda76632d.jpg

[redacted]: Well, now. That sound's interesting. Bradford.
    Bradford: This is Bradford, sir.
    [redacted]: I believe Squad Leader Bogestrom is on rotation right now, correct?
    Bradford: That's right, sir.
    [redacted]:Have him and his squad prep for deployment. ET's fiddling with Russia's water supply; he's going to tell us why.
    Bradford: Yes, sir, paging now.

@Brogey‌ @Dead Legend@Romanian My Escutcheon@see317‌

OFFICIAL MISSION TRANSCRIPT-05/03/15
    OPERATION UNCEASING SERPENT- TIME INDEX 1115

Russia_zps3e7fdfc7.jpg

Bradford: Take a look at this image, squad. What do you see?
    Bogestrom: I see Russia, sir.
    Bradford: Very good Squad Leader. Do you also see how very close to XCOM Central Russia is?
    Bogestrom: I do, sir.
    Bradford: It would appear that the Xrays have decided to tamper with our next-door neighbor's water supply. This is unacceptable. Squad Leader Bogestrom, your team is being sent in to extract a package from this site in Russia. He will have intel vital to understanding what the Xenos are trying to do to our planet and our infrastructure. Incidental damage to the package is not preferred, but will be tolerated: loss of the package will not. If you find yourself under attack, you are authorized to eliminate all hostiles with prejudice: however, Doctors Vahlen and Shen will think kindly of you if you manage to return with any artifacts in a slightly less... exploded state than those delivered by your comrade, Officer Blythe.
    Bogestrom: Understood, sir.
    Bradford: Are there any questions?
    BogeysSquad_zpscc3e19be.jpg

Squad: No, sir.
    Bradford: Then get out there and recover that package.
    Squad: Yes, sir.
    Away_zps7da64d69.jpg

sarukun on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Sir! Permission to feel reassured that the rest of my squad are professionals, sir?

[IMG][/img]
    edited April 2014
    Sir! Permission to feel reassured that the rest of my squad are professionals, sir?

Your collegues in Brogey Squad are consummate professionals.

Your commander, however, is a nincompoop, and accidentally alt-f4'd out of his game and lost his progress.

Fortunately, your commander is a paranoid super-saver, and so had a save right at the beginning of the mission and played it over again, move-for-move.

sarukun on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I hope the Commander deems hailing Hydra as an appropriate show of solidarity.

[IMG][/img]
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Cut off one head, two more grow back.

Hah, the octopus is eating my little monkey's face, there.

edited April 2014
    OFFICIAL MISSION TRANSCRIPT-05/03/15 (cont.)
    OPERATION UNCEASING SERPENT- TIME INDEX 1247

1Approaching_zpseb600419.jpg

Bradford: We were in touch with Carlock until about 1225. He seemed uncomfortable with radio communication, and eventually signed off, despite our best efforts to keep him talking. You may find him in a panicked and paranoid state. We have only a general idea of his location, and according to satellite imagery, the Xrays have done a pretty good job of tearing the docks up looking for him. Any questions?

Bogestrom: Sir, no sir.

Bradford: Excellent. Your window for this operation is two hours, Mr. Bogestrom. We will maintain radio silence until the window expires, at which point you will have ten minutes to bug out or request extra time. Bradford out.
    2Touchdown_zps1a189821.jpg

Widerhallen: Mein Gott, de Rând, do your think those fatigues are loud enough?
    de Rând: Who is to say what spectrum the Xrays can see in? Perhaps I am testing a camo prototype for Dr. Vahlen.
    Isihlabani: If that is the new camo, I think I will take my chances without it.
    Bogestrom: That's enough, squad. Run the final checklist and get ready to go dark: LZ is ten minutes out.
    Squad: Sir.

[Record Missing]
    Recording Resumes- Time Index 1:57

Bogestrom:--can't believe we forgot to turn on the mics. Bradford's gonna eat me alive.
    de Rând: Relax, Squad Leader, I do not think CO Bradford is going to mourn the loss of an hour's worth of footage of Widerhallen managing to step in every guacamoled civilian corpse on this pier.
    Widerhallen: I am going to have Shen replace the glare filter on this helmet the moment we get back to Central. Ugh, it is seeping all the way down to my socks.
    Carlock: Look, I know you people probably see this all the time, but that was my unit out there.
    Bogestrom: That's enough chatter, squad. I'm sorry, Sergeant Carlock, but would you state your name and rank for the record please... again?
    Carlock: Sergeant Patrick Carlock, Russian Federation. Thank you again for finding me out here, Officer Bogestrom. I know I didn't make it easy for you.
    Bogestrom: Finding you wasn't so bad, Sergeant, it's getting out of here that worries me. I don't know if that bogey up there can't see the Skyranger or what, but the pilot looks like he's sticking to the schedule, thank God. That gives us a little less than an hour to get the hell out of here.
    3LZ_zpsc18f682d.jpg

Bogestrom: We keep this by the numbers, squad, until we make contact. First thing we need to do is get you out of the open, Sergeant Carlock.
    4Staging_zps288b4138.jpg

Bogestrom: Here's the breakdown. Isihlabani, you and I are going to recon the interior of the warehouse. Set up over there, and get ready to unload. de Rând, I want you to make sure nothing sneaks up on us from this side of the building. Once I give you the all-clear, Widerhaller, you're going to breach and secure the interior. Once we get the word from Widerhaller, Carlock will take up a position away from any windows. I want you in the darkest corner you can find, understood Sergeant?
    Carlock: I understand.
    Bogestrom: All right squad, move out.
    Squad: Sir.
    5Preparingtobreach_zps72d31958.jpg

Bogestrom: Anything, Isihlabani?
    Isihlabani: No sir, all points clear on my end.
    Bogestrom: Confirmed, no bogeys. Is Widerhallen clear to move, de Rând?
    de Rând: Clear, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Whenever you're ready, rookie.
    Widerhallen: Yes, Squad Leader, taking point.

[breaking glass]
    6Breaching_zpsd889c2d8.jpg

Widerhallen: All clear, squad leader. Sergeant Carlock is free to join me at his leisure.
    Bogestrom: Go ahead, Sergeant, you're covered.
    Carlock: Thank you, officer Bogestrom.
    7Hiding_zps70908e5f.jpg

Widerhallen: There is a suitable corner just behind me, Sergeant.
    Carlock: Understood.
    Bogestrom: All right team, it's still pretty quiet out there. We're going--
    Isihlabani: Squad Leader, I got movement from the bogey. It looks like... some kind of hatch, or door--
    de Rând: We've got incoming.
    8Incoming_zpsbd136418.jpg

Bogestrom: Fire. Fire. Fire.
    [conventional weapons fire]
    9Outgoing_zpscd7878c7.jpg

de Rând: Got him.
    Isihlabani: The Christ, I think I missed.
    Widerhallen: Everything all right back there?
    Bogestrom: Check him, de Rând. He almost looks human, but even my old man never had gas that bad.
    de Rând: He is definitely done, Squad Leader. And he is... too ugly to be human. Eugh, those eyes....
    Bogestrom: Grab what's left of his weapon for Dr. Vahlen and try not to breathe any of that shit, de Rând. If that bogey's gonna keep tossing walking poison gas bombs at us from the sky, then we're all getting under a roof. Isihlabani, you're with me, we're securing the far side of the warehouse. de Rând, you cover the front door with Widerhallen. We take this nice and slow, people.
    10Perimeter_zps140d8d89.jpg

Bogestrom: Anybody hearing anything?
    Isihlabani: All clear, Squad Leader.
    de Rând: There is nothing.
    Widerhallen: Shall I move forward, Squad Leader?
    Bogestrom: I feel like going through the front door maybe isn't such a good idea, Widerhallen. Isihlabani, I want you to go around.
    Isihlabani: Through the window, sir?
    Bogestrom: Unless there's a problem?
    Isihlabani: No, sir. I only wish that I had brought my camera.
    Bogestrom: I'll see if I can convince Bradford to give you a couple of stills from my feed. Now get out there, I'm right behind you.

[breaking glass]
    11Sneaking_zps4d90431d.jpg

Isihlabani: Still have no contacts, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Confirmed, no bogeys. de Rând, do you copy?
    de Rând: I read you, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: We've made enough noise in there with all the window breaking that I'm confident there's no bogeys in the Warehouse. Why don't you move up with Widerhallen, and take the package with you.
    de Rând: Copy, breaching and moving up.
    Widerhallen: Wunderschön, the world's shortest hallway.
    de Rând: At least it is easy to cover. Sergeant Carlock, why don't you take cover in this office here.
    Carlock: A good idea.
    12Listening_zps94cb3170.jpg

Carlock: Eemmm... am I the... only one hearing that?
    de Rând: Нет, I hear it too. Keep your voice down.
    Widerhallen: We have contact, Squad Leader, but no visual. The Xray is just on the other side of the wall.
    13Contact_zpsf4d5adc9.jpg

Bogestrom: Any idea what kind?
    Widerhallen: Nein... but he does not sound much like a gray. A lot of hissing.
    Bogestrom: Go have a look, Isihlabani.
    Isihlabani: Copy, Squad Leader.
    14Spooking_zps89b7f040.jpg

Isihlabani: Damn! Well, he saw me. The thin ones, they move quickly.
    Bogestrom: You're in a bad spot, Isihlabani....
    Isihlabani: Do not worry Squad leader, I am only waiting for him to try and take a peek....
    15Peeking_zps502d82d0.jpg

Isihlabani: There you are.
    16Hitbutup_zps18c7cd50.jpg

Isihlabani:The Christ, how are you not dead?
    Bogestrom: Never mind, Isihlabani, I've got the proper retort right here. Frag out.
    [conventional explosive detonation]
    17Detonating_zpsc69b11f6.jpg

Widerhallen: Dr. Vahlen is not going to be happy about that, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: If the good Doctor asks, I'll tell her I was testing the effects of explosives on our new alien friend. If she wants an intact body so bad, there's one at the end of the pier for her to pick over.
    de Rând: Can we come out now, Squad Leader? Sergeant Carlock is pleasant company, but I still have a full ammo clip and an unspent frag....
    Isihlabani: I recommend against that, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Stand by, de Rând. What do you see, Isihlabani?
    19Scouting_zps9df8d84a.jpg

Isihlabani: Movement, sir, from what appears to be a large head... that is glowing.
    Bogestrom: Good eyes, Isihlabani. That sounds like a bogey we're a little more familiar with. Stand by, de Rând, I'm going to have you cover Isihlabani. And keep your eyes peeled, people. Let's not forget we've still got a still a Uniform overhead.
    Isihlabani: Moving quietly, Squad Leader.
    20Relocating_zpsff67c11b.jpg

Isihlabani: Damn again. Sorry, Squad Leader. It seems their hearing is not so good, but their vision is quite sensitive.
    Bogestrom: It better be, for their sakes, with those ugly bug eyes. All right de Rând, now's your chance.
    de Rând: Sir?
    Bogestrom: Isihlabani, keep your head down.
    21Hunkering_zps4dbda640.jpg

Isihlabani: Gladly, sir.
    Bogestrom: All right, Ladies, take your best shots; give them something to think about besides our point man.
    de Rând: Squad Leader, this is a... sub-optimal shot.
    Widerhallen: Ja, Squad Leader, I do not think I can hit them from here.
    22Aiming_zps76720eb9.jpg

Bogestrom: Not really the point, squad. Pop off a couple rounds.
    Widerhallen: Okay, if I hit him, de Rând, you owe me a drink.
    de Rând: If I hit him, you owe me two drinks.
    Widerhallen: What? Why.
    de Rând: Better shoot before I kill him!

23Miss1_zps60d0c839.jpg

Widerhallen: Scheiße.
    de Rând: My turn!
    24Miss2_zps5d394abd.jpg

de Rând: Говно.
    Bogestrom: I take it our bogeys are still active, ladies?
    Widerhallen: Negative hits, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Not a problem. Stay put and keep your head down, Isihlabani, I'm moving up with you. de Rând, Widerhallen, Keep an eye on those Xrays.
    de Rând: Yes, sir.
    25Ladiesoverlads_zps14080f2b.jpg

Widerhallen: Heads down, heads down, Xrays on the move.
    de Rând: Incoming enemy fire.

[unknown weapons fire]
    26WellDone_zpsa43c1bb6.jpg

Isihlabani: Ohh, I will remember that my gray, bug-eyed friends. Umufi does not easily forget.
    Widerhallen: Proceed with caution, Squad Leader, the other gray one has not discharged his weapon.
    Bogestrom: Probably waiting for something to shoot at. Isihlabani, think you can get a grenade over that crater?
    Isihlabani: With pleasure, Squad Leader.

[conventional explosives detonation]
    27Fragging_zps85f148c1.jpg

Bogestrom: Down-right legendary aim, Isihlabani. You play a lot of softball in South Africa?
    Isihlabani: We prefer cricket, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: You'll have to teach me when we get back to Central.
    Isihlabani: Perhaps Bradford will let us use the hangar bay the next time Blythe is on assignment.
    Carlock: I hate to interrupt, but can I come out of here now?
    Bogestrom: Not quite yet, Carlock, but come up to the front door; I don't want you to lose sight of us. I do want you two out here, though, de Rând, Widerhallen. Spread out; Use the barge to get around that crater; I don't want to chance that Uniform calling down some heavy ordinance while we're all clumped up.
    de Rând and Widerhallen: Sir.
    28Creeping_zpsccffd379.jpg

Bogestrom: Anybody have anything?
    Isihlabani: No, Squad Leader.
    de Rând: Нет.
    Widerhallen: All clear.
    Bogestrom: Copy all points clear. All right, Sergeant Carlock, we're moving up to the shipping containers. I want you behind something sturdy and close to me.
    Carlock: On my way, Officer Bogestrom.
    29Moving_zps55fc99e2.jpg

Bogestrom: All right, Widerhallen, why don't you take point.
    Widerhallen: It will be my pleasure, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Okay, de Rând--
    Widerhallen: Contact, Squad Leader.
    30Scuttling_zpsd791a1c8.jpg

Bogestrom: Do you have a firing vector on the bogey?
    Widerhallen: Yes. And this time...

31OntheBoard_zps13a29a8e.jpg

Widerhallen: Haha. I believe you owe me a drink, de Rând.
    de Rând: Что? We were not competing for that one.
    Bogestrom: Just make Isihlabani buy you both one for covering him earlier.
    Widerhallen: A good idea, Squad Leader.
    Isihlabani: Wait, what do I get for the Xrays I hit with the grenade earlier?
    Widerhallen and de Rând: Nothing.
    Isihlabani: Oh, that isn't fair. If I kill the next Xray, then you're buying the drinks, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Well, I don't--
    33Dropping_zps5d4e6e0d.jpg

Isihlabani: We have another bogey, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: What--

34ThereandNot_zps2ac04cc5.jpg

Isihlabani: Scratch that, Squad Leader, Xray down.
    35SpecialDelivery_zps98599bc9.jpg

Bogestrom: You don't say.
    Isihlabani: Drinks on the Squad Leader.
    Widerhallen: Copy that.
    de Rând: Noted. Many thanks, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Ahem. Well. Let's move on, shall we? Taking point.
    de Rând: Do not try to dodge your obligation, Squad Lead--
    Bogestrom: Cut the chatter, we have contact.
    36NoGood_zps3c937048.jpg

Widerhallen: Shall we move up Squad Leader?
    Bogestrom: I don't like the cover out here. Stay back and wait for a clear shot.
    de Rând: Copy that, Squad Leader, setting up.
    37Waiting_zps24c631a8.jpg

Bogestrom: Anybody have a good shot?
    Isihlabani: Negative, Squad Lead--

[unknown weapons fire]
    38StrikingBack_zpsbb785259.jpg

sarukun on
    CLIFFHANGER O_O

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    dun dun dun!

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    And so plans for the inaugural XCOM cricket league began...assuming Isihlabani survives!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Awesome, I made it through my first update. Even got a kill.

..and I just jinxed myself.

edited April 2014
    OFFICIAL MISSION TRANSCRIPT-03/05/15 (cont.)
    OPERATION UNCEASING SERPENT- TIME INDEX 1352

Bogestrom: Motherfucker, that stings.
    Widerhallen: Paul! Squad Leader, are you all right?
    Bogestrom: I got a mad on, but otherwise I should be fine.
    Isihlabani: Moving to you, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: Negative, I want you to stay put. I'm going to move to flank the Xray, you're going to follow up if I don't put him down.
    Isihlabani: Understood.
    39Flanking_zps8559d97a.jpg

Bogestrom:Let's see how you like it, you little...

40Payback_zps434c76a7.jpg

Bogestrom: All right, squad, the Xray is dog food. Move forward and let's get Sergeant Carlock the hell out of here.
    de Rând: Copy that Squad Leader, moving to you.
    Widerhallen: Do you want me to take a look at that injury, Squad Leader?
    Bogestrom: Unless you've got a balm or ointment, Widerhallen, I wouldn't worry about it. It just burns a little, that's all.
    Widerhallen: If the injury is radioactive--
    Bogestrom: Then you won't have the necessary equipment to treat it anyway. Our best bet is to get to the LZ and get out of here.
    Widerhallen: Understood, Squad Leader.
    41MovingForward_zps48803ca1.jpg

Widerhallen: However I will be putting in a request with the Central Officer for a field kit. They should not have sent us out here without first aid.
    Bogestrom: I'll endorse your requisition order in my report, Widerhallen, and I will push the letter keys as hard as I fucking can.
    Widerhallen: Thank you, Squad Leader.
    Bogestrom: All right, Isilabani, you're with me. We're securing the building. Widerhallen, you take point; de Rând you keep our package company.
    Isihlabani: Copy that Squad Leader.
    de Rând: Moving to you, Squad Leader. Come along, Sergeant.
    Carlock: I can see the Landing Zone. You people are heroes. You'll get everything I have on what happened here.
    Widerhallen: We have another Thin Man incoming.

43Another_zps388d4d2d.jpg

Bogestrom: Widerhallen?
    Widerhallen: That is two you owe me now, Officer Bogestrom.
    Bogestrom: Let's save the final tally for the debriefing, Rookie. Carlock, I want you in here: you should be able to make a run for the Skyranger from here without taking any more fire.
    Carlock: Moving to you, Officer Bogestrom.
    Bogestrom: I'll go first, Sergeant. Isihlabani, provide cover from the left side.
    Isihlabani: Understood, sir.
    44Leaving_zpsa22b4fe4.jpg

Carlock:Oh, thank God. Thank you all so much.
    Bogestrom: Don't mention it, Sergeant. Pilot, this is Squad Leader Bogestrom. We've still got a bogey up there, what--
    Widerhallen: Squad Leader, the bogey is bugging out.
    Bogestrom: Hm, so they are. Well that's convenient.
    de Rând: What do you think it means, Officer Bogestrom?
    Bogestrom: Hard to say, Rookie. I figured our bogey up there would keep us grounded. Can't imagine why they would just let us go after taking so many losses trying to recover the package.
    Isihlabani: With respect, Squad Leader, maybe we can debate Xray decision-making from the comfort of Central's debriefing room.
    45Done_zpsdf5076c5.jpg

Bogestrom: Agreed. Contact Central, Pilot; tell them to prep the infirmary. Now that our bogey's gone, Squad, let's do a quick sweep for bodies and any artifacts we missed and bring back Dr. Vahlen some new toys to play with.
    46Bugout_zps7d39255b.jpg

[Recording Ends- Time Index 1422]

sarukun on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I like that you've actually given both squad leaders distinct command styles. It's a good touch.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'm excited for the after action report. Isihlabani has done well.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    It is actually super difficult to give these people personalities. By the time I get through the first half of a mission, I go back and realize I've pretty much just narrated what they're doing without giving them any sense of self of cracked any jokes, and I have to go back and add stuff.

I'm torn between wanting to cut photos and not wanting the flow of the action to get confusing, but every photo kind of means I need to talk about what's happening.

How do you guys like the comic-books-type panels? I feel like putting them all together like that makes it a little easier to follow the action without needing any additional dialogue, but I'm kind of throwing them together haphazardly, so I'm worried they're too random to really understand.

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Amazing! :o

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    I enjoy your format a lot, and I recognize it's probably a huge pain to get them all together like that.
    Great work so far though!

I enjoy your format a lot, and I recognize it's probably a huge pain to get them all together like that.
    Great work so far though!

Thank you! It doesn't take much longer to cut them together that way, and it saves me a ton on bandwidth, because the cropped images rarely go over 300k.

The free photoshop is helping a TON, and it has given me some ideas for ways to imply tech advances as we go along, so I'm looking forward to getting deeper into the campaign!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    sarukun wrote: »
    It is actually super difficult to give these people personalities. By the time I get through the first half of a mission, I go back and realize I've pretty much just narrated what they're doing without giving them any sense of self of cracked any jokes, and I have to go back and add stuff.

I'm torn between wanting to cut photos and not wanting the flow of the action to get confusing, but every photo kind of means I need to talk about what's happening.

How do you guys like the comic-books-type panels? I feel like putting them all together like that makes it a little easier to follow the action without needing any additional dialogue, but I'm kind of throwing them together haphazardly, so I'm worried they're too random to really understand.

as frustrating as that sounds, that seems like a good way to go about it. Get the main narrative and joke setups down, then layer personality on top.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    sarukun wrote: »

as frustrating as that sounds, that seems like a good way to go about it. Get the main narrative and joke setups down, then layer personality on top.

It's not really that frustrating, writing is always better when you go back over it, and I'm used to the revision process.

But it does make me feel kind of dumb when I realize I left out the most important part of a piece of writing!

edited April 2014
    DEBRIEFING-05/03/15
    OPERATION UNCEASING SERPENT- TIME INDEX 1502

Debrief_zps6d69326f.jpg

Bradford: How are you holding up, Squad Leader?
    Bogestrom: As well as can be expected, sir. Well, better, actually. I guess Dr. Vahlen has gotten a lot out of observing Sìon, she claims I'll be out of here in less than a week.
    Bradford: Good. You did an excellent job out there, Squad Leader, well enough to give Blythe a run for his money.
    Bogestrom: Squad Leader Blythe knows what he's doing out there, sir. He always was a good soldier
    Bradford: Be that as it may, we both know who was in charge fifteen years ago, and it shows, Squad Leader. I've recommended every rookie on your squad for promotions and specializations today, and the Commander has authorized them all. I'm recommending Assault specialization for de Rând and Isihlabani.
    deRand_zpse7127f09.jpg

Isihlabani_zps269ce7e0.jpg

Bradford: Widerhallen, however, seems to have a battlefield presence similar to yours. We've decided to make her a Support, just like her Squad Leader.
    Widerhallen_zpsc87fd38b.jpg

Bogestrom: They deserve it, sir. They kept their cool and watched each others' backs; the package didn't suffer so much as a skinned knee.
    Bradford: Your methods have proven highly effective, and given us a much-needed jump-start. Sergeant Carlock's whole team has been made available to us, what few survived the attack: he'll be by later to thank you personally, once he and his staff have been processed. Dr. Shen is ecstatic; he tells me the extra engineers are going to give us a lot of extra breathing room when it comes to getting things built around here, and the unexpected extra operating capital provided by the Council is already being fought over by the various departments. Dr. Vahlen was also pleased with the amount of artifacts you were able to recover, though she asked me to remind you that grenades should only be used when all other alternatives have been explored and exhausted.
    Bogestrom: I will... try to remember that while taking green fire from aliens, sir.
    Bradford: Personally, I have no complaints or further recommendations, Officer Bogestrom. I do not ask or expect you to prioritize artifact recovery over the safety of your squad. Just keep her request in mind.
    Bogestrom: Of course, Central Officer.
    Bradford: Get well soon, Squad Leader. I want you back out there as soon as possible.
    Bogestrom: Not as much as I do, Sir.

sarukun on
    Most excellent. I figured Umufi would make assault.

I have a feeling Blythe's squad will be the first to be asked to take one alive.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I wanted to comment about the graphic presentation earlier on but then forgot about. looks really nice and slick.

Memorandum: Central Chatter Transcript for 06/03/15

Shoumin: Hey Blythe.
    Blythe: Oi, Nicky.
    Gym_zpsbda6ece4.jpg

Shoumin: You been, uh... sleepin'... all right?
    Blythe: What's the matter, you been havin' bad dreams?
    Shoumin: What? Oh, no, nothin' like that. It'll take more than a little extra shot-gun kick to give me the PTSD nightmares. No, man, it's this damn construction.
    SatLink_zps5e0ee6ab.jpg

Shoumin: I know it's on the other side of the base, but I can feel the jackhammers in my teeth, man. You know anything about it?
    Blythe: Not really. Heard somethin' or other about a big dish comin' down in a couple of weeks. One of them new engies from Russia. Bet Bradford reams his ass for talking about projects on the Personnel decks.
    Shoumin: If Dr. Shen doesn't get to him first.
    Blythe: I dunno about all that, Dr. Shen seems a little more... empathetic than Dr. Frankenstein.
    Shoumin: Takes his job pretty seriously though.
    Blythe: Heh, and good on him for it.

Shooting Xenos in the face at close range suits me just fine, Commander.

Now they know when they see fluorescent pink camo running their way, it's time to haul ass in the opposite direction.

[IMG][/img]
    edited April 2014

Now they know when they see fluorescent pink camo running their way, it's time to haul ass in the opposite direction.

Assuming, of course, that their eyes can see that wavelength of pink.

see317 on
  • Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Comic book style is a nice touch.

Also I hope all of you die grisly deaths very soon. Because that just means I'm closer to the action!

Not today.
    see317 wrote: »

So what you're saying is that I could be an invisible fluorescent pink conduit of doom and devastation?

...I think I'd be okay with that.

[IMG][/img]
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If you're in need of a future medic, !signing up.
    I'm combat trained, cool under fire, and I assure you it's a mere coincidence my surname sounds like 'death'.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2014
    see317 wrote: »

So what you're saying is that I could be an invisible fluorescent pink conduit of doom and devastation?

...I think I'd be okay with that.
    On the other hand, you never know if that shade of pink might have a more biological function for the aliens. It's well known that many terrestrial species use bright colors to attract a mate, seems logical that extra-terrestrial species might follow the same pattern.
    They could see you as a walking murder boner, and you'd never know.

see317 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    He's our only defense against the sextoid menace.

steam_sig.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    @sarukun the format you're using is aces. definitely enjoying the read!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited April 2014
    CONTACT EVENT USC.01 -08/03/15 - TIME INDEX 1237

Stark: Central Officer Bradford, we have a Uniform on scopes over Germany!
    Bradford: This is it people, N.A.D. Put a bird in the air and warm up the airbus. Give me alert status red for the EU and put it on the Geoscape.
    Stark: Sir, paging relevant staff and bringing it up for you now, sir.
    FirstContact_zps4a018c25.jpg

Bradford: Who's in the hangar right now?
    Stark: Sir, Captain Tom "Maniac" Wilson is prepped and ready to launch Blackbird 1.
    Bradford: Give him launch authorization and patch me through to him, Stark.
    Stark: Sir.
    Scramble_zps4b677c7a.jpg

Bradford: Captain Wilson, how do you copy?
    "Maniac": Copy loud and clear, CO. Skies are clear except for one little blemish, and I'm about 10 clicks away from being able to do something about it.
    Bradford: Take it easy, Blackbird 1, you're our guinea pig, here. We have only second hand data on what a Uniform's armaments can do to armor, and only a rudimentary understanding of how they can maneuver.
    "Maniac": Understood, Central. Got me a whole den full of foxes, and I'm looking forward to lettin' 'em of the leash.
    Bradford: I don't want you letting a single one of those missiles loose until you are within half a click of the target, understood Maniac?
    "Maniac": Suits me just fine, Central, I wanna see those bug eyes pop out of those dopey heads when I get me that missile lock. Should have visual in just another minute here.
    Germany_zpsa134ff13.jpg

"Maniac": There you are, you son of a bitch.
    Bradford: You are green for weapons free, Blackbird 1. Put that Uniform down before it picks a spot to land.
    "Maniac": Looks awful busy down there, Central, but you won't have to ask me twice.
    Bradford: We will handle clean up and retrieval, Blackbird 1. Just do your job.
    "Maniac": Blackbird 1, Fox 1 away.
    Bradford: Show me tactical, Stark.
    Stark: Coming in now sir.
    "Maniac": That's a hit. Definitely got their attention.

[electromagnetic interference]
    "Maniac": Holy shit. This asshole blew a hole in my fuselage. Like it wasn't cold enough in here!
    Bradford: Quit complaining and let him know whose sky he's flying in, Blackbird 1.
    Onscreen_zps23e63d93.jpg

"Maniac": Gladly. Fox 3. Fox 3. Fox 1. Fox 1. Jesus Christ, go down already. Fox 1.
    TopGun_zps3be20893.jpg

Bradford: Looks like you hit something important that time, Blackbird 1. You okay out there?
    "Maniac": That's a positive, Central, though I'm not looking forward to the sound of wind keeping me company the rest of the way home, even at sub-mach speeds.
    Bradford: Should only be a five minute stroll, Maniac. Get back here and we'll put your plane back together. Central out. Close it up, Stark, and get me a satellite feed.
    Bradford: Sir, bringing it up now, sir.
    NothingWait_zpsd80c3ff6.jpg

Bradford: Are you shitting me? Not a scratch on it? Where the hell are we, Stark?
    Stark: 52°20′N 9°37′E, Central Officer. Suburbs of Hannover. Looks like it put down right next to a pub.
    Bradford: Is that right? Get me Officer Shoumin, Stark, and page our three greenest. We're putting a new squad together.

Stark: Understood, Central Officer; Redefining mission parameters and paging personnel.

@Snicketysnick‌ @ASimPerson‌ @Feriluce‌ @Rainfall‌

OFFICIAL MISSION TRANSCRIPT-08/03/15
    OPERATION SHATTERED STRIKE- TIME INDEX 1302

ShouminsSquad_zpsc813a23a.jpg

Shoumin: Before we get started, sir, I just wanted to ask why Squad Leader Blythe isn't leading this mission.
    Bradford: Squad Leader Blythe is on the bench for this one, Officer Shoumin. One of his squad is injured, and I have a standing request from Dr. Vahlen that someone with a less explosive personality take point on our first Uniform recovery. As Squad Leader Bogestrom is off rotation at the moment, that privilege has fallen to you. Will that be a problem?
    Shoumin: No sir, just satisfying my curiosity sir.
    Bradford: I respectfully remind the Squad Leader that he was not recruited to the XCOM project for his curiosity.
    Shoumin: Understood, Central Officer.
    Bradford: Ladies and gentlemen, we are sending you to Hannover Germany to recover our first downed UFO. Satellite imagery suggests we put a few dents in it, but the Uniform remains intact; we must therefore assume that its crew survived impact. However, we expect they will be disorganized and possibly injured. Based on the performances of the Squads led by Officers Bogestrom and Blythe, we do not anticipate that you will have much trouble securing the site. Escort any civilians you encounter away from the site; use of deadly force is authorized against any and all uncooperative contacts. Any questions?
    Squad: Sir, no sir.
    Bradford: Very good. Squad Leader Shoumin, whenever you're ready.
    Shoumin: Thank you sir. The Skyranger's waiting for you, squad, double time.
    Ejo: They want us to go inside one of those things?
    Vyakwi: About time, too. I have been waiting for this since I saw the footage from Lost Gaze.
    Shoumin: Protect civilians, eliminate hostiles, and secure the CS; I thought you'd be eager to get off the Personnel decks, Ejo, you've been cooped up in there for like a week.
    Ejo: I was not expecting to be taking point on the first expedition to the North Pole.
    Haddad: Don't be ridiculous, Ejo, we're not visiting the Xray homeworld.
    Ejo: We will be the first humans to step onto one of those ships... willingly, at least. That feels like undiscovered country to me, Haddad.
    Shoumin: Shut it down, squad, and prep for boarding. I want to be on site before the jets cool.
    Shipping_zps93a33074.jpg

sarukun on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Woooo! Here we go!

Awww. Grounded by Frankenstien.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Slowed down by muscle-memory. That is the second time I have alt-F4'd out of a mission. :P The snapshots are all done, I'll post the recap tomorrow.

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Venturing into a brave new world indeed.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ok troops, I don't want any souvenirs back on the bus without a nice thank you note for Dr Vahlen, she is in charge of medical and I want to be on her good side.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO