As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - Rotten to the Cora

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Rotten to the Cora

Rotten to the Cora
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/rotten-to-the-cora

Finish him!

Anonymous

I worked for a my first software company in the late 80s into the early 90s, and we were bought up by a “giant”. We were located in the Seattle area, they were down in San Francisco, and it was a very interesting relationship to stay connected (this was the dark ages before the Internets…!). Over time, our group was downsized bit by bit until the original group of around of 100 (devs & testers) was reduced to about 10 testers. They had us working as a rogue testing group - spot checking the work that the teams in SF were doing. It felt a bit dirty because we knew we were working behind the scenes for higher up manager types who wanted to know if their teams were finding all the bugs.

Then something interesting happened….

Managers came and went, and we were shuffled between a few of them, and eventually we realized that the last person we were working for was gone…. but no one new had gotten to us to let us know what we should be working on next. So, after a few boring days we hooked up a Nintendo to a giant TV, rearranged our cubicles, brought in a couple couches, and played Mortal Kombat (the original one) until we heard what to work on next.

We waited for 6 MONTHS while playing that game all day long.

We’d show up each day on time, play MK, and then go to lunch, come back, play MK, then head home at the end of a full day. We wanted to be there in case anyone tried to call or email us, but no one ever did. We didn’t know who to call about what we should be doing, because the person we last worked for wasn’t there anymore.

Our paychecks kept rolling in, and over time, one by one, guys on the team found jobs at other companies – because they were getting bored of just playing Mortal Kombat all day long. In the end, there were 3 of us left, and we got a call from headquarters letting us know that they were going to give us a “re-deployment package” and let us all go. It was an extremely generous deal, and I used it to put a down payment on my first house.

Geth on

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the lack of a line on the top of Cora and Marley's (not sure if that's his name) heads really offputting? It makes it look unfinished.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It sounds like their special team got put under a weird accounting code. So when HR was doing an audit, they weren't exactly sure what this team did, and to avoid any blow-back, offered them a generous severance package. If they weren't set aside and part of the hive mind, the story would have ended with, "and I lost my job."

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    ... This ... wasn't good.

• Options
    Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    It feels like they make Trenches comics M-F, but we only get to see the ones on T and Th.

Tales seem to stay interesting though. Would love a job where I could just sit around and play video games all day. Why did they only play MK though...? Its not like they were commissioned to work on it...You would think they would have swapped the games around a bit.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Remember when this used to be a comic about a band of misfit game testers, complete with on-point gaming and office culture humor? Yeah, me too.

I don't generally bitch about things here because everything is given freely and we're not entitled to anything. It's just frustrating to see the comic devolve into this. It's not funny, the pacing has turned glacial, and every entry seems like it's designed to get to a tepid quip in the last panel.

It lacks focus and clarity. There's supposed to be some drama about a clone popping up in the marketplace, along with an aborted tester vs. developer feud and Issac being the QA manager, but everything is diverted by 3 horrible Marley comic strips. All characters not named Marley have become unrecognizable. The plot is standing still, and the humor is nowhere near strong enough to keep it afloat.

I sincerely hope it gets (a lot) better, because it's very awkward to read right now.

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Remember when this used to be a comic about a band of misfit game testers, complete with on-point gaming and office culture humor? Yeah, me too.

I don't generally bitch about things here because everything is given freely and we're not entitled to anything. It's just frustrating to see the comic devolve into this. It's not funny, the pacing has turned glacial, and every entry seems like it's designed to get to a tepid quip in the last panel.

It lacks focus and clarity. There's supposed to be some drama about a clone popping up in the marketplace, along with an aborted tester vs. developer feud and Issac being the QA manager, but everything is diverted by 3 horrible Marley comic strips. All characters not named Marley have become unrecognizable. The plot is standing still, and the humor is nowhere near strong enough to keep it afloat.

I sincerely hope it gets (a lot) better, because it's very awkward to read right now.

Wat? This whole last season was fantastic. I laughed out loud multiple times. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Marley trips were irritating but other than that, I don't agree with your assessment at all

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Yeah, I liked the comic until after the Marley's comic strips, but there was no sort of actual punch or humour or really anything in his comics. I mean, I want to ask if they're even trying and they really should've watched something like 12 oz. mouse if they wanted to get a good feel for how a comic like Marley's could work and not be utter shite. Tales are still great, though.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    AntonNUL wrote: »
    Yeah, I liked the comic until after the Marley's comic strips, but there was no sort of actual punch or humour or really anything in his comics. I mean, I want to ask if they're even trying and they really should've watched something like 12 oz. mouse if they wanted to get a good feel for how a comic like Marley's could work and not be utter shite. Tales are still great, though.

12 oz. Mouse is a poor reference if your goal is to make something that's not shit.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    There were a lot more SNES games than Mortal Kombat (and a lot better ones). Why would they not bring in other games to play?

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    AntonNUL wrote: »

12 oz. Mouse is a poor reference if your goal is to make something that's not shit.

Depends what you're going for. The first 3 episodes of ozmo are pretty bad, but the writing on the later ones are great because it incorporated real complex drama. Pretty much nobody's one-dimensional; I think the writing for the later eps was just like the writing for Trenches.

• Options
    nyzernyzer Registered User regular
    Shakes999 wrote: »
    Wat? This whole last season was fantastic. I laughed out loud multiple times. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Marley trips were irritating but other than that, I don't agree with your assessment at all

A lot of the forum posts recently seem to disagree with you.
    forty wrote: »
    There were a lot more SNES games than Mortal Kombat (and a lot better ones). Why would they not bring in other games to play?

Beats me. Hell, I don't know why they didn't bring in another TV and another SNES, or... something. It's not like they apparently had a lot of oversight or anything.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    nyzer wrote: »

I wouldn't put much stock in that. Comments sections are driven by the loudest complainers. People now are complaining that it's not as good as it used to be, but there wasn't a time when they were going "this is it, this is the golden age of The Trenches". Trenches has always had two things
    1. A loud group of people complaining on every comic that it isn't like the things that they like
    2. Good traffic

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

This was my question... And this was in the 90s, so it's not like SNES games were rare or anything...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

I wouldn't put much stock in that. Comments sections are driven by the loudest complainers.
    Not that I'm arguing, but this doesn't really seem to be the case for the PA comic threads.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    They probably did; the author likely simplified their gaming for the tale. That said, I could see them sticking to at least fighting games. If they had only the one TV and one SNES, they'd want a game that's multiplayer, so more than one person could play at once, plus a game that people could jump in and out of to give everyone equal playing time.

It's also possible that people would go back to their cubicles and play/do other things occasionally, with the Giant TV/MK setup being a centerpiece that people drifted in and out of over the course of the day. Plus, once they all got good at the one game, it likely became a bit of a skill challenge they could compete against each other with, similar to how PA plays ping-pong a lot in their office, even though they all likely play other games everyday as well.

• Options
    Shakes999Shakes999 Registered User regular

Beats me. Hell, I don't know why they didn't bring in another TV and another SNES, or... something. It's not like they apparently had a lot of oversight or anything.

I haven't been on the forum in 2 weeks or so but most of the threads have been overwhelmingly positive this season, go check if you'd like. Once again, don't know what you're talking about save for the Marley s t rips that went on way too long

• Options
    marsilies wrote: »
    They probably did; the author likely simplified their gaming for the tale. That said, I could see them sticking to at least fighting games. If they had only the one TV and one SNES, they'd want a game that's multiplayer, so more than one person could play at once, plus a game that people could jump in and out of to give everyone equal playing time.

It's also possible that people would go back to their cubicles and play/do other things occasionally, with the Giant TV/MK setup being a centerpiece that people drifted in and out of over the course of the day. Plus, once they all got good at the one game, it likely became a bit of a skill challenge they could compete against each other with, similar to how PA plays ping-pong a lot in their office, even though they all likely play other games everyday as well.
    If it wasn't the case, the author probably shouldn't have written it that way.

• Options
    HodurHodur RedmondRegistered User regular
    You young pups ;) Picking this story apart….

In 1992 Mortal Kombat was.... it. The idea of having you and your friends playing it on a giant screen tube tv (which was incredibly rare back then also - and usually only seen at trade shows) all day long... man... that's as good as it got back then. Sure Street Fighter was there also, but that would be the equivalent of today getting PS4 and XBoxOne people to live in harmony…

And like Marsilies said above, back then, you’d build up a skillset of attacks and going back and forth head to head, swapping the loser out… was like a never ending tournament of play.

Good times…

• Options
    But Mortal Kombat didn't release on consoles until 1993. And the neutered SNES version was definitely not "it." In 1993, after getting bored of MK during a weekend rental, my friends and I went back to playing stuff like Super Mario Kart.