As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Really I've only barely scratched the surface but I'm already finding the game easy to get into and very engaging.

Goddamnit.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Repost for today. Greed Corp could use some entries. It's a fun little strategy game. Do you like board games? Do you like hexes? Give it a try! :smile:
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Woo! Birthday sometime this week, so it's time for my usual hobbit giveaway: Gifts for everyone!!! (Well, some of you at least). Funds are almost nonexistent so I had to resort to whatever I had in my inventory/keys.txt/cardmonies. Hope you guys enjoy! :smile:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

I also have these games to giveaway, but I can't create steamgifts giveaways for them for some reason. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested in any of these:

PID
    Enclave
    Super Sanctum TD
    Snuggle Truck

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Really I've only barely scratched the surface but I'm already finding the game easy to get into and very engaging.

Goddamnit.

Me too, although it clearly has a similar difficulty curve to Endless Space wherein suddenly, the combat difficulty ramps up a bit. Not as bad though.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I have been asked about Fract OSC and I will get around to answering the question but I wanted to save my steam brothers: Do not buy Daylight. Don't give the people who made this thing money. In all my years of being a horror game fan I have yet to play a game that so completely, utterly misses the point of everything it attempts so feebly to copy while also failing to have any game systems that work on any fundamental level.

I was able to avoid the ghost in the game by simply standing still whenever it spawned and it went away. Every. Time.

I would say don't even spitegift it to @CorriganX‌ , but I'm too late for that apparently.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    So been playing a bit of Daylight and Amazing Spiderman 2 this evening, they're both pretty terrible so save your money! Disappointed in both, I was getting excited about them :(

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Awwww... I got Daylight for free with my new video card :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So I broke down and got that trading card bundle. Still waffling on whether or not to redeem all of the games, but in the meantime, here's some giveaways for those I already own.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Bad Hotel and To the Moon should include soundtracks, but I'm not sure if I can send them with? So assume I can't.

For the midday folks.

Goddamnit.

....what's this? A wild game appears!

signature.png
    o:)

e: It's the Founder Pack, btw.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    It took me a good 10 minutes to figure out the reference in the thread title.

I am not a smart man,.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    So been playing a bit of Daylight and Amazing Spiderman 2 this evening, they're both pretty terrible so save your money! Disappointed in both, I was getting excited about them :(

Awww Spider Man is bad? I was thinking of getting it for my PS4 only because I know I'll probably only play through it once and trade it in.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm disappointed to hear that Daylight is so bad, especially from Cheesecake. That's a dude who knows his horror games.

Still waiting patiently on your FRACT OSC travelogue, @CheesecakeRecipe‌.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Ok, wow. So I just logged into Steamgifts for the first time in ages to break my "no entering any more giveaways" rule for Jragghen's awesome Endless Legend giveaway, and what do I see? I've won a giveaway! wait what

That's weird, I don't remember entering any giveaways. Oh. Turns out that "random" copy of Surgeon Simulator I was gifted a while back was from a giveaway I won...that I didn't remember entering....4 months ago.

My bad, whoever that was from! I obviously need to log into Steamgifts more often because my memory sucks; who knows what I get up to. Anyway, I checked "gift received" finally. Better late than never...... :blush:

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »

Awww Spider Man is bad? I was thinking of getting it for my PS4 only because I know I'll probably only play through it once and trade it in.

From what I've played so far it's worse than the first Amazing Spiderman. Yes you can now choose which hand to shoot web swings from and they have to attach to buildings but if you're standing on top of a building you can still shoot straight up as if you're grabbing the sky, collision detection is all over the place so it feels like you kind of bounce around the geometry goat simulator style, the graphics for everything but Spiderman are pretty awful and the writing for everyone but Spiderman is awful. First game I've bought in a while that I regret buying, but at least it was only £13! Probably going to play some more of it as at least the fighting has a combo building thing and I like trying to get higher numbers in stuff like that, also swinging on the web is still kind of fun. It's just weird how they still can't get close to what Spiderman 2 was like.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Niiiiice giveaways, @Jragghen. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah... Why can't anyone make a Spiderman game of the same quality as Spiderman 2? It was like... perfect. They got everything right with that game, it should be the centre of all inspiration for future games of the franchise.

I mean, it had deep moral choices and everything. Sure, saving that lady from getting mugged seems like the heroic choice, but that child let go of his balloon! If it flies away he'll be so disappointed

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm about to rip off someone's head at Utopia Management because they keep calling me for a work order put in before I moved in, I tell them I can't take time off from work so they need to come when I'm not home, they say they'll check with maintenance and call me back, the next day they call me about the work order and have completely forgotten the previous conversation.

REPEAT. AD. INFINITUM.

Gonna get my laundry started then play some games. Maybe Dark Souls 2 in Belfry Luna so that I can wield this wrath on the poor fools who will invade. C'MERE AND SATE MY BLOODTHIRST. I'm Rat Covenant too though so some nice tail farming also sounds good.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I know there are some people on here who love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I just read about the Lost Alpha mod and it sounds pretty awesome. I just bought STALKER:SoC so I haven't even tried the vanilla version yet but I would be interested to hear what the veteran players in this thread think of it.

Looks pretty neat. If the world needs anything, it's more STALKER.

Post-collapse (local or worldwide) first person exploration games are something I wish we had more of. Come on Urbex Simulator 2014.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I beat dark souls 2! WOO! TIME TO PLAY IT EVEN MORE IN NG+! HOLD MY CALLS.

But sir, the President of NAMBLA is on line one and he says it's urgent.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    No, the other NAMBLA.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Niiiiice giveaways, @Jragghen. :)

On some level, it amuses me to have a giveaway for a game I have explicitly given a thumbs down recommendation.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Taking the day off tomorrow so should have some time to sink into Steam. Except the roof will be being torn off and replaced above my computer. So my guess is that's gonna be kind of loud. And I have some fears about the ceiling just collapsing in the process. Hmm. Hearthstone via ipad or some more 999 DS time may win that battle over Steam.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    But they told us PC gaming is dead!

No no no, it was "dead to them".

Like, they just didn't understand any more.

Motherfucking Wasteland - a game that came out in 1988 - is on Steam/GOG.

PC gaming is essentially immortal.

I dunno; find me a legit copy of Prey or Cryostasis. The issue with PC games is the same one haunting the consoles: we're pretty good at the really old stuff, but really terrible at archiving the recent stuff.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Isn't Cryostasis on Steam? I am pretty sure I have a Steam copy of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    But they told us PC gaming is dead!

No no no, it was "dead to them".

Like, they just didn't understand any more.

Motherfucking Wasteland - a game that came out in 1988 - is on Steam/GOG.

PC gaming is essentially immortal.

I dunno; find me a legit copy of Prey or Cryostasis. The issue with PC games is the same one haunting the consoles: we're pretty good at the really old stuff, but really terrible at archiving the recent stuff.

RIP Outrun 2006

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's going to get more and more strange when physical stuff gets increasingly endangered. When a digital game gets pulled, that's it, game over. You can't go to a mom and pop shop and find a dusty copy sitting on the shelf. Hell, look at shit like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where there are two characters that you literally cannot get now (and thus cannot use nor practice against) because all its DLC and digital versions got pulled.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Isn't Cryostasis on Steam? I am pretty sure I have a Steam copy of that.

Was. Looks like it got removed. Glad I picked it up when I did, I guess.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It's going to get more and more strange when physical stuff gets increasingly endangered. When a digital game gets pulled, that's it, game over. You can't go to a mom and pop shop and find a dusty copy sitting on the shelf. Hell, look at shit like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where there are two characters that you literally cannot get now (and thus cannot use nor practice against) because all its DLC and digital versions got pulled.

It's going to get even stranger when old physical media reaches the end of it's lifespan and millions upon millions of games just stop working.

It'll be interesting to see if the predictions of the lifespans of CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays are accurate or not. Will our game collections outlive us or we will outlive our game collections?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's going to get even stranger when old physical media reaches the end of it's lifespan and millions upon millions of games just stop working.

It'll be interesting to see if the predictions of the lifespans of CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays are accurate or not. Will our game collections outlive us or we will outlive our game collections?

You know how the Library of Congress has that thing where they archive certain movies deemed "culturally significant", and so they make backups of these movies so that our society as a whole should never lose them? We don't really have that for games yet, as video gaming is a relatively new medium in comparison to film, but think about it....can you imagine the internet jabronis arguing about whether or not something Gone Home is/is not a game and thus is/is not worthy of being archived? People still argue about early Mario titles and which one(s) are sucky and which one(s) is/are good.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Air Control is coming out on Steam. I showed up during a Giant Bomb live show a bit ago... and it doesn't look like it has improved.

header_292x136.jpg
    There are several roles you will play as in this game:
    You start the game as an engineer and prepare the airplane for takeoff. It will be your duty to make sure everything is in perfect working order and that all the luggage is on the plane.
    You then take on the role of a stewardess, making sure that every compartment on the plane, from the TVs to the toilets, are clean and that the plane is fully stocked with food ready for the passengers.
    You then finally get to the heart of the game: Playing as the pilot. Not only will you be in charge of steering the plane to its destination properly, but also having to make sure nothing goes wrong with the equipment. In short, you carry the fate of everyone on the plane on your shoulders. Watch out, though! The threat of terrorists is always looming over you. You must do all you can to protect the passengers and yourself while foiling the terrorist’s plot.

Try the best flight simulation in the history of computer games today!

It looks... uh... interesting terrible.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

You know how the Library of Congress has that thing where they archive certain movies deemed "culturally significant", and so they make backups of these movies so that our society as a whole should never lose them? We don't really have that for games yet, as video gaming is a relatively new medium in comparison to film, but think about it....can you imagine the internet jabronis arguing about whether or not something Gone Home is/is not a game and thus is/is not worthy of being archived? People still argue about early Mario titles and which one(s) are sucky and which one(s) is/are good.

Dude, there ARE rom and PC iso backup sites, there already are plenty of digital backups of all the old games. The abandonware stuff is a bit more 'legit', but still not exactly legal. Sort of like MAME stuff. Not something to talk about here, but trust me, archives DO exist, just not in a legal sense.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Air Control is coming out on Steam. I showed up during a Giant Bomb live show a bit ago... and it doesn't look like it has improved.

header_292x136.jpg
    There are several roles you will play as in this game:
    You start the game as an engineer and prepare the airplane for takeoff. It will be your duty to make sure everything is in perfect working order and that all the luggage is on the plane.
    You then take on the role of a stewardess, making sure that every compartment on the plane, from the TVs to the toilets, are clean and that the plane is fully stocked with food ready for the passengers.
    You then finally get to the heart of the game: Playing as the pilot. Not only will you be in charge of steering the plane to its destination properly, but also having to make sure nothing goes wrong with the equipment. In short, you carry the fate of everyone on the plane on your shoulders. Watch out, though! The threat of terrorists is always looming over you. You must do all you can to protect the passengers and yourself while foiling the terrorist’s plot.

Try the best flight simulation in the history of computer games today!

Does it still have that assuredly illegal Proleter soundtrack? Cause if not, no dice.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So much for that video talking about how the new Spiderman game has webs that don't stick to the sky. The web zip tutorial shows them sticking to nothingness within the first few seconds.
    Shame =\

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

I'm going to need some evidence that a game that apparently consists of Roman legionnaires with tommyguns defending an airplane from terrorists is anything but great.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Always Remember Me
    Loading...?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    It's Eve Online week and every time I see it on sale I almost buy it before remembering that pretty much everything I have ever read about it scares the shit out of me and makes the game seem like more work than fun.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Always Remember Me
    Loading...?

I clicked on this, thinking it was for Remember Me!

WHOOPS.jpg

Thanks Berylline! And, uh, sorry! If I like the game I'll buy a copy to give away in the thread, seems only right.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Always Remember Me
    Loading...?

WHOOPS.jpg

Thanks Berylline! And, uh, sorry! If I like the game I'll buy a copy to give away in the thread, seems only right.

I could also imagine someone doing this with that Two Brothers game thinking it was Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Always Remember Me
    Loading...?

No worries! It was just an extra key from a bundle, not something I bought specifically for giveaway purposes, so it's really no big deal. :)

Speaking of extra keys from bundles with possibly confusing names, here is Postmortem. This one, I think.
    Loading...?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

I'm going to need some evidence that a game that apparently consists of Roman legionnaires with tommyguns defending an airplane from terrorists is anything but great.

I don't really know if the game is just super unpolished and awful, or if the devs are going for the Goat Simulator broken on purpose goofiness approach.

Or if it will release at $59.99 just to troll the hell out of the Steam audience.

If it ends up being the first one I think maybe it will completely destroy any of the "Steam should be a completely open, noncurated platform" arguments.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I personally think that each game that's greenlit should have to be played for at least 30 minutes by, like, 20 random community members that voted yes on the game before it is released in full on Steam or something.

Something to test the game's viability other than, "well it looks good".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Everything on Steam.

/sings "He's got the whoooooole world... in his hands... he's got the whooooole world..."

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I personally think that each game that's greenlit should have to be played for at least 30 minutes by, like, 20 random community members that voted yes on the game before it is released in full on Steam or something.

Something to test the game's viability other than, "well it looks good".

You don't need to convince the people who said "yes," you need to convince the people who said "no."

Then again, that isn't a solution either because I know some entire genres where I would vote "no," no matter how good the game is within that genre.

So, Greenlight is unsolvable... problem solved!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.