As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

Lost SalientLost Salient blink twiceif you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
Lots of folks around here care about being healthy! We don't all aim to be super swole, and some of us (coughmecough) can't seem to overcome our terror of the weight training part of the gym. But there are lots of other ways to stay fit, get fitter, happier, more productive, regular exercise, etc etc. Maybe you're more into yoga and spend all your days hoping for the flexibility and strength to finally pull off scorpion pose...

nYzZtn5.jpg

Maybe you are focusing more on cutting calories these days, using apps and websites like My Fitness Pal or Fitocracy or Weight Watchers. Or just by old school dieting! (Do people still do that?)

Maybe you're one of those mentally ill folks who just likes to run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pttqFUviWs

Maybe you like to run a lot.

Let us discuss our goals for summer fitness and weight loss, or just talk about all the ways we are working toward being healthier and happier through EXERCISE and FOODS. Let's share advice and support! Cooperation makes it happen. Sesame Street told me so.

I, for one, have been running on a broken toe for a while now and things seem fine except I woke up this morning with excruciating and inexplicable back and shoulder pain! HAHAHH getting old is the literal worst thing. In other news next week I'm looking at taking a 9 mile kayak/canoe trip.

RUVCwyu.jpg
"Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i love kayaking! great for your lower back and abs, too. Or awful for them, depending on how lazy you are.

i keep mentally toying with the idea of yoga. ... But then I also need to get back into learning spanish, and try and dredge some remnants of mandarin out of my brain for a trip later this year, and what with that and other stuff my evenings are feeling fairly packed.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I find that either I'm missing something or the whole "eat this many calories or less" thing for weight loss isn't quite working as well as I'd expect. Luckily I've been adding more exercising so that should make up for whatever I'm missing vis a vis dieting. Though that has its own issues in I'm not quite sure how much I should "push" myself but like anything else I'm sure that'll come with time. Additionally I have a (very fit) friend helping me with exercise routines and whatnot.

On a (related?) note, I've basically given up trying to figure out why I'm exhausted all the time. Doctors haven't found anything so I'm basically gonna just have to push through it as best I can. I hope if I lose another 20-30 pounds and consistently exercise it'll fix itself, so.. yeah!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I find that either I'm missing something or the whole "eat this many calories or less" thing for weight loss isn't quite working as well as I'd expect. Luckily I've been adding more exercising so that should make up for whatever I'm missing vis a vis dieting. Though that has its own issues in I'm not quite sure how much I should "push" myself but like anything else I'm sure that'll come with time. Additionally I have a (very fit) friend helping me with exercise routines and whatnot.

On a (related?) note, I've basically given up trying to figure out why I'm exhausted all the time. Doctors haven't found anything so I'm basically gonna just have to push through it as best I can. I hope if I lose another 20-30 pounds and consistently exercise it'll fix itself, so.. yeah!

If you went to the doctor I'm guessing it doesn't have anything to do with your diet. I mean getting all of your daily vitamins and all.

• Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Have you been tested for B12 deficiency? It's not routinely tested for and could be worth a try?

They've tested me for vitamins, thyroid and all that. My vitamin D and thyroid were low, but apparently are fine now. What I wish is (some) people would stop being like "You're not tired, you're just bored." When I almost fall asleep at like 1pm while driving it's not because I am "bored". It's a struggle ever weekend not to just sleep around 80% of the time (and trust me, I could). Had I not been checked (very recently) I'd think I was anemic because I look like I haven't seen the sun in about 10 years (and have been this pale for a long, long, long, long time). I went to give blood and everyone was like "Are you ok? You're kind of pale." before giving blood.

I shall keep at it, though. I hope it's just a side effect of being overweight/out of shape cause I haven't got a lot of options left.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I signed up for myfitnesspal

Uhhhguhgughg

EDIT Reducing my calories is so fucking painful.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hey, a new fitness thread seems like a good time to renew my weight loss efforts!

As some of you may know, two and a half years ago I was 19 stone (266lb). Then I went to London to serve a mission. A couple of months in I was stationed in Wembley, and I began the habit of running around Wembley Stadium (which we lived right next to) early every morning.

I lost 5 and a half stone (77lb) in 6 months. Ever since then, though, it's been one big plateu. The main issue, I thin is consistency. Even now I still run, but it ends up being only once or twice a week. My diet always sucked, even during the massive weight loss, but recently I've been taking steps to improve that by buying fresh fruit and vegetables whenever I'm at the supermarket.

When I had a girlfriend it was a lot easier to keep the exercise up. We'd text each other a lot and reminded each other to exercise. Since I broke up with her it's been a bit tougher, but I'm certainly not going to let that be the end of my efforts.

Anyone got any good advice for me to make sure I keep up the running?

Somestickguy on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Weight loss plateauing is, sadly, a thing. I lost my first 30-40lbs like I was dying and since then it has been an uphill fight (even though I could stand to lose another 30-40 or so). Oddly enough at my lightest I was ~180 and being that I'm 6' 7" I can't quite fathom how I was still alive at that point.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Right now I'm losing about 4-5 pounds a week.

But I know the day will come when it's a struggle to make half that.

But at the same time, I'm not trying to be that thin so by the time I stop burning fat so quickly I'll probably be around my desired weight.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    :rotate:

4-5 pounds per week is typically considered an unhealthy amount to lose (outside of medically supervised). That's roughly a 2000-2500 kcal deficit per day. That's where you start running into nutrient deficits.

edited April 2014
    ...Actually...I'm keeping up with my nutrients(except protein which I'm doing way better with).

Just that I have a lot of weight on me.

I've been intaking about 2500-3000 calories a day. I've just also been working out every day and I have a very physical job.

Dragkonias on
  • Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Depending on how much someone has to lose, that sort of weight loss rate isn't unhealthy, provided its not continuously over a long period of time.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    When I was in the hospital in November I lost 20 pounds in a week because fuck hospital food.

Considering how awful I felt that whole week though I don't recommend that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Guys I need a fitness buddy.

I've been awful awful awful. And I want to get back in the game but I keep making excuses for myself. So now I'm just frustrated and feel like a blob of unhealthy, muscle-less gross.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I agree, a partner makes this a lot easier.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    A thing jiggled, that formerly did not jiggle. I am displeased. I assume that there is no real way to justify beer on a diet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd8tZiHexPc

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Nope. Even ignoring the carbs and empty calories, alcohol does a number on your ability to recover from exercise.

Just have the low-carb alcohol free beer.

Kakodaimonos on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The hard part of gaining weight for me is definitely eating enough.

Though this "IIFYM" is very intriguing.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nope. Even ignoring the carbs and empty calories, alcohol does a number on your ability to recover from exercise.

Just have the low-carb alcohol free beer.

I like water too.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Second time at my trainer tonight

I havent exercised at all since I went last tuesday WOOO I am going to be murdered

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Need to talk about kayaking some more.

I love it.

There's a place near here that rents kayaks, and I try to every weekend that isn't thunderstorming during the summer, just to paddle around for a few hours.

I haven't had the opportunity to try to learn how to right yourself if you're underwater though, I'd like to do that.

But the rental kayaks aren't the ones where you really strap yourself in, they're just leisure ones.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    A heavy night of beer drinking is just carb loading if you can get past the headache and nausea.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Hey, a new fitness thread seems like a good time to renew my weight loss efforts!

As some of you may know, two and a half years ago I was 19 stone (266lb). Then I went to London to serve a mission. A couple of months in I was stationed in Wembley, and I began the habit of running around Wembley Stadium (which we lived right next to) early every morning.

I lost 5 and a half stone (77lb) in 6 months. Ever since then, though, it's been one big plateu. The main issue, I thin is consistency. Even now I still run, but it ends up being only once or twice a week. My diet always sucked, even during the massive weight loss, but recently I've been taking steps to improve that by buying fresh fruit and vegetables whenever I'm at the supermarket.

When I had a girlfriend it was a lot easier to keep the exercise up. We'd text each other a lot and reminded each other to exercise. Since I broke up with her it's been a bit tougher, but I'm certainly not going to let that be the end of my efforts.

Anyone got any good advice for me to make sure I keep up the running?

Eh, it sounds like you aren't super-psyched on running. Perhaps explore some other activities that you want to do anyway and it will make things easier?
    Alternatively, try to find a running group in the area?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I love it.

There's a place near here that rents kayaks, and I try to every weekend that isn't thunderstorming during the summer, just to paddle around for a few hours.

I haven't had the opportunity to try to learn how to right yourself if you're underwater though, I'd like to do that.

But the rental kayaks aren't the ones where you really strap yourself in, they're just leisure ones.

Two kinds of kayaks, sit-ons, and sit-ins. Sit ons if you go over, you just fall off. Sit ins, if you're going over you take in a big lungful of air, reach forward as far as you can, and hug your boat. 99% of the time you will pop right back up if you don't end up caught in some rocks or trees or something and drown. In that case you pull your skirt and push off out of the boat backwards so that your legs aren't trying to bend 180 degrees the wrong way. You can keep your boat upright through most gnarly shit by slapping the water with your paddle, you rotate your wrist so the the flat of the blade is toward the water instead of the edge, and smack it hard into the water.

Open water paddling bores me to tears, but gimme trees and rocks to manuever around and rapids to go down and I will have a fantastic time.

A helpful book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSRN7AO

• SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide if I should ditch the gym today in an effort to "taper" before my swim meet this weekend. On the one hand it is a pretty big meet (Masters Short Course Nationals), on the other I was really sick at the beginning of the month and spent two weeks in bed not doing a damned thing so there's a possibility that I don't have anything to taper from.

• BeRzErKeRBeRzErKeR Registered User regular
    I have not lost much if any weight over the last month, but I can now do three pullups in a row, so I think I'm still making fitness progress.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I should ditch the gym today in an effort to "taper" before my swim meet this weekend. On the one hand it is a pretty big meet (Masters Short Course Nationals), on the other I was really sick at the beginning of the month and spent two weeks in bed not doing a damned thing so there's a possibility that I don't have anything to taper from.

What do you mean by taper?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    taper is basically a rest period before a big meet

Jars wrote: »
    taper is basically a rest period before a big meet

Oh, I see! I was thinking of it in the sense of "becoming smaller towards one end" and was quite confused. Thanks!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Are there any good sites/apps to help put together reasonable workout strategies for people trying to get back into shape? I'm completely out of shape, but have started eating well and we've committed to the point we have a good amount of equipment accumulated and setup in a room now. It's just trying to figure out the best way to use that equipment to lose the weight without over/under doing it.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'm in a similar boat as well, I ballooned from 185 to 240 in college but dropped down to 210 after cutting out all the terrible garbage I was eating

I don't really have a good workout plan set, I was going to the gym twice a week until I got sick at the end of January, and I didn't want to start going back until I had a better plan in mind

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Hard to go wrong with starting strength to set the weight lifting part of your workout plan:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Magus' do you have a history of snoring? When I think 'no energy, falling asleep as soon as I get off my feet' I think sleep apnea, especially since you've been to the doctor and it sounds like they ruled out the most common things.

Is there someone around who would be willing to watch you sleep to see if you stop breathing?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I'm doing something today that I didn't think I'd be able to ever do. I'm wearing pants with a waist that isn't larger than the inseam. 34 x 34s.

ZJVR1JF.gif

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

I love it.

Two kinds of kayaks, sit-ons, and sit-ins. Sit ons if you go over, you just fall off. Sit ins, if you're going over you take in a big lungful of air, reach forward as far as you can, and hug your boat. 99% of the time you will pop right back up if you don't end up caught in some rocks or trees or something and drown. In that case you pull your skirt and push off out of the boat backwards so that your legs aren't trying to bend 180 degrees the wrong way. You can keep your boat upright through most gnarly shit by slapping the water with your paddle, you rotate your wrist so the the flat of the blade is toward the water instead of the edge, and smack it hard into the water.

Open water paddling bores me to tears, but gimme trees and rocks to manuever around and rapids to go down and I will have a fantastic time.

A helpful book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSRN7AO

I hadn't heard about the lean forward one, thanks!

I remember some cousins of mine in alberta were big on white-water river kayaking, and they were able to right themselves just by turning in their seat (no leaning forward or getting out - just some sort of magic and leaning to the side), that's the method I was wondering about possibly learning.

I'm okay with open water paddling if the scenery is really nice. Also being on the st-lawrence river and out in no-where land, the scenery is usually pretty nice.

So...I've decided on a 200g of protein a day diet. Given my ideal weight is about 250-260.

And I've come to realize that 200g of protein a day is a fucking lot.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I was flipping through a magazine in a waiting room and I saw an article that suggested that women should limit themselves to like 635 calories two days a week and eat normally the rest of the week. It was Women's Health magazine.

This seems absolutely crazy to me.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Is intermittent fasting still a thing? Though if Women's Health is near...well any other magazine including Men's Health isn't it kind of fad-based rubbish by default? I understand why the magazines push it, you can't really make a monthly issue of "eat right and move more", but that does not make it any more honest.

Also, 200g protein is just 33.33333 eggs a day!
    Paul+Newman+Cool+Hand+Luke+eggs.jpg

QuantumTurk on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    I guess this would be the place to boast that today marks the end of my first month of going to the gym everyday.

I've always been a big guy so I only do light weight training, but the big thing is I do at least an hour on the elliptical everyday. At the start that came out to just over 2 miles, but the past week it's been 4 miles and still climbing.

I've lost about 20 lbs, and just generally feel much better all around. I'm super proud, and I know I've still got a long way to go, but if my lazy ass can do it, anyone can!

Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
This discussion has been closed.