As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

stormbladeskystormbladesky Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in PAX Australia

cFhq9lX.jpg
stormbladesky on

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Go grab a board game from Tabletop Freeplay, something easy to get people into like Ticket To Ride, Munchkin or Small World. Sit down at a table, get 3 or 4 other people you don't know to come play with you. Probably one of the most satisfying things to do, just play games with strangers and bond over games.

• Options
    philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I agree with CuZZa, except instead of a board game, take your 3DS out, sit down on a bean bag in the Handheld Lounge and let your brain absorb as many wifi signals as possible.

I also suggest seeing as many of the "First Party Shows" as possible (such as the QAs and draw-a-comic)

philomglol on
    Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Meeting people and interacting with friends I don't see often is my favorite part of PAX. I'd highly recommend watching these forums for any community events that pop up like the pre-pax board game night and signing up.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to playing some tabletop RPG's there were a few running at least years but I didn't make time for them. This year I plan on playing in at least one.

• Options
    MontablacMontablac Registered User regular
    i plan on attending

considering i havent done that yet, it seems like a good place to start

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    Pin trading, I want to trade so many pinny arcade pins.
    Last time my fav thing was participating at the magic the gathering booth they had a little event to play people and get a sparkly event card :D also all the games on the expo floor where amazing!

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    I'll be super busy with Cookie Brigade - running the brigadiers ragged so we can beat our totals from last year and raise some more funds for Childs Play. And of course theres cosplay and pin trading :)

• Options
    philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    Participating in the PAX Pokemon League!

One of the things that always impresses me about PAX is the community around it and and all the volunteers :smile:

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • Options
    SmuffySmuffy Registered User regular
    Boardgaming and panels. And if you've got a quick, low-footprint game like Zombie Dice, bust it out when you're lining up with for said panels and play with people you don't know. It's fun, friendly and you, too, can know the shame of being schooled at zombie dice by someone literally a 1/3 your age. :)

• Options
    Smuffy wrote: »
    Boardgaming and panels. And if you've got a quick, low-footprint game like Zombie Dice, bust it out when you're lining up with for said panels and play with people you don't know. It's fun, friendly and you, too, can know the shame of being schooled at zombie dice by someone literally a 1/3 your age. :)

While waiting for something, we got into a game of Zombie Dice that never finished - with Wil Wheaton, Molly Lewis and Kim Evey. Later that day my friend who was keeping score had the game officially paused by Steve Jackson. Well, he signed the score page "To Be Continued - Steve Jackson"

Cthulhu Dice is also a cool one to play in line, simple rules, the jumbo version has a cool stress-ball foam dice and elastic bands to keep score. It's also great when random people in line start yelling out "CTHULHU!" and "ELDER SIGN!"

• Options
    El Barto 227El Barto 227 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If Valve is there, I have an idea, but ti's a secret

El Barto 227 on
  • Options
    MontablacMontablac Registered User regular

your going to yell "saxton hale" at some poor valve employee arnt you?

• Options
    El Barto 227El Barto 227 Registered User regular
    Montablac wrote: »

your going to yell "saxton hale" at some poor valve employee arnt you?
    As awesome as that sounds, no.

actually, I was planning to wear a Hunter costume and growl at people as they walk past. Gotta practice that scream though

• Options
    PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    First priority is the BYOC Ticket. It gets you a seat in the LAN room to play games in comfort for as many hours as you like. No matter how crowded or crazy the crowd numbers you always have a reserved seat for three days with access to your favourite PC/laptop, monitor, keyboard and mouse (but not your UPS).
    Second priority is determining what sessions to attend which sets the timetable to join the queues.
    Check out game tournament timetable to see what can be accommodated in the session gaps.
    Allocate times for random tabletop games and tournaments like Robo Rally, Cthulu or whatever.
    Checkout exhibitors
    Catch up with people
    Try not to forget Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Volunteering! Cookie Brigade and Enforcering are pretty awesome...

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    zerochosen wrote: »
    Volunteering! Cookie Brigade and Enforcering are pretty awesome...

Good to see you'll be back for some CB action again Zero :)

Make sure to sign up in the CB forums so we can get sorted!

Anyone else who wants to be an elite brigidier is also welcome - http://www.cookiebrigade.org

• Options
    JonaBulletsJonaBullets Registered User new member
    I'm hoping a can find a few people playing Munchkin or Munchkin Quest and get involved. Not to mention... I hope there will be some sort of Steve Jacksons booth there!

• Options
    Wade DWade D Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Board games & Tabeltop RPGs all the way :)

If you like science fiction tabletop RPGs, be sure to check out: http://www.fraggedempire.com/
  • Options
    WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    It's my first time too, so thanks for posting this it's been helpful as I don't really know what to expect. I know a little about the handheld area so will be taking my DS to play some pokemon but not sure what other games I should expect there? In terms of table top I'm excited about Magic - do we bring our own decks and how strict is it in regards to playable cards?

• Options
    WallStar wrote: »
    It's my first time too, so thanks for posting this it's been helpful as I don't really know what to expect. I know a little about the handheld area so will be taking my DS to play some pokemon but not sure what other games I should expect there? In terms of table top I'm excited about Magic - do we bring our own decks and how strict is it in regards to playable cards?

Handheld has kind of expanded a fair bit with mobile kind of being counted as Handheld so there was a bunch of Spaceteam last year. Lots of Mario Kart 7. As for Magic, you can bring your own and play what you want with others if you can find people to play. A lot of the focus of the Magic area is using the freebie starter decks to get people learning Magic. But there are always tables to play whatever you want.

• Options
    JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Decided to BYOC this year, keen to play some ye olde LAN games. Also after last year missing out on Sunday due to some silly wedding thing, going to make sure I get to pretty much every minute.

Also a lot more boardgaming.

Jazzy on
    Moon Wizard.