As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South Hotel

CresendoCresendo Part-Time CrimefighterHoustonRegistered User regular
So I went ahead and already reserved a hotel 3 blocks from the convention center. 4 from Riverwalk. I am from Houston so this is an easy drive for me and just visited San Antonio. As of now, my wife is not going, but my room has a sleeper sofa. If anyone is looking, the price is pretty cheap considering. I will also see if there is anything should they decide to do Onpeak for this. But hotels near the Riverwalk generally run 150-300 easy. Generally never cheap. If anyone is interested, I should ideally have 2 spots available.

"Great's okay, but amazing would be great."

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I already booked a hotel for San Antonio as well. We'll have to wait and see what the pax deals are, but I wanted to make sure I got something close regardless (not that there's a lack of options). We'll do a hotel sharing thread like usual once we get a lot closer, official info is released, and the pax south forum is set up.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'd book a 3 night stay in the Days inn now but it is non-refundable. I want to wait for Pax hotel deals. Hopefully something around $100/night.

The good news is that there are a bunch of hotels within a half mile and January is a slow month so hopefully there will be great deals to grab (and a sufficient system to accept them)

This space for rent
  • Options
    TimDisasterTimDisaster San AntonioRegistered User regular
    I am thinking about doing the same. I know I live in San Antonio, but to be downtown for PAXsouth would be ideal.

Twitter: TimDisaster PSN: TimDisaster XBL: xTimDISASTERx
  • Options
    CresendoCresendo Part-Time Crimefighter HoustonRegistered User regular
    I found a few under 100, but I want to be within walking distance of PAX and food. I will be hitting up The Mercado for cheap tacos every day! Also, 3 blocks from the convention. Awesome. I don't think you will find all that many great deals for Riverwalk/Convention hotels. That is prime tourist real estate there. If PAX does a deal with hotels, I will mos def look again, but the sooner you book, the better. Look for price guarantees too to make sure you get a good deal.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    We'll do a hotel sharing thread like usual once we get a lot closer, official info is released, and the pax south forum is set up.

When will the PAX South forum go up?

• Options
    Soon(tm) ;)

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I booked the Penthouse at the Embassy Suites..... WOOOT. See you in San Antonio (Hopefully I be out of Jail by then, if I can keep my comments to myself)

• Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    I booked a room at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio the closest to the convention center. It looks to be attached the center, so I'm hoping that's where all the pre/post PAX gaming events happen.

• Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I booked a room in San Antonio already too. I found a pretty damn good deal close to the convention - much cheaper than I bet the rack rates will be But if not, I'll cancel and rebook.

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    JMT89JMT89 Registered User new member
    Off topic, but is it hard buying PAX tickets? I have never been. I know PAX South is new, but I was just wondering. If I am going to reserve a hotel room, I want to be sure. Also what is the best way to know before and when online registration opens?

• Options
    DarylTXDarylTX San Antonio, TXRegistered User new member
    I just found out about the PAX South, and I don't have to worry about the hotel since it is in my hometown. I do agree with JMT89 on the ticket information. I like to know more information. I do have another question, if the ticket sold out, then I won't able to get in or how it work?

• Options
    JMT89 wrote: »
    Off topic, but is it hard buying PAX tickets? I have never been. I know PAX South is new, but I was just wondering. If I am going to reserve a hotel room, I want to be sure. Also what is the best way to know before and when online registration opens?
    Typically there is no announcement prior to tickets going on sale. Given that this is the first PAX South, there might be, but I doubt it. Watch http://twitter.com/official_pax

As far as if it will be difficult to get tickets or not, there's no way to tell since it hasn't happened yet. The first pax east wasn't too bad, but both USA paxes sell out SUPER fast now.
    DarylTX wrote: »
    I just found out about the PAX South, and I don't have to worry about the hotel since it is in my hometown. I do agree with JMT89 on the ticket information. I like to know more information. I do have another question, if the ticket sold out, then I won't able to get in or how it work?
    You cannot get in without a pre-purchased ticket. If they sell out, they sell out. Sometimes people have luck getting them from third parties who are re-selling them because they're scalpers or they're just people who were going to go who can't anymore.

• Options
    JMT89JMT89 Registered User new member
    Okay. Thank you zerzhul! Your feedback is helpful. I will just continue following PAX@Official_PAX and be on the look out.

• Options
    EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Went ahead and got myself a great deal at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio. Just in case ;)

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    If you're a AAA member, you can book a room at the Grand Hyatt (the one literally right next to the convention center) for $170. And within a few blocks, you can get much cheaper hotels, including some in the sub-$100 range.

Airfare is another matter, sadly...

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The first pax east wasn't too bad, but both USA paxes sell out SUPER fast now.

I went to PAX East 2011 by deciding to go 3 weeks before the event, tons of weekend passes were still available. It's still kind of stunning how quickly it became so tough to go...

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    I'm trying to book something with my timeshare, both locations are 9 minute walks from the convention.

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • Options
    NutOfDeathNutOfDeath Registered User new member
    I really don't know what I should do. I really want to go, but I don't know if I'll be able to get the tickets or not. How high would the hotel prices after tickets have been sold?

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    NutOfDeath wrote: »
    I really don't know what I should do. I really want to go, but I don't know if I'll be able to get the tickets or not. How high would the hotel prices after tickets have been sold?

It will probably depend on the allotment that onPeak (or whoever PA uses for mass hotel reservations) uses for PAX South, and how many hotel rooms are left for booking outside of that.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    NutOfDeath wrote: »

If you can, I'd grab a hotel room now, that allows you cancel without any penalties.

Once ticket sales start, hotel bookings follow. And in both cases, they sell out pretty quickly.

I currently have a hotel reservation for the Hyatt, but I can cancel if I can't get tickets/can't make it.

• Options
    kdee5309kdee5309 Registered User new member
    what dates exactly will Pax South be? I might start looking into booking a hotel very soon..

• Options
    January 23-25, 2015.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Looking to Put This Together, thought on this pricing and would you attend ?

http://www.eltropicanohotel.com/default-en.html

The Hotel is 0.8 miles away from convention center. The Riverwalk Water Taxi takes you door to door.

Forumer's Welcome Party and Guestroom Block
    PAX South
    January 22-25, 2015

The El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel is located directly on the banks of the world-famous San Antonio Riverwalk in the heart of the contemporary Museum Reach of the Riverwalk. Our hotel features 308 comfortable guestrooms including 7 suites and our premier level, “El Nueve”.

Mango’s Restaurant offers a full breakfast buffet daily. For sandwiches, paninis, gourmet pizzas, beverages and our proprietary line of specialty coffees be sure and visit Expresso’s Café. Our poolside, seasonal Tiki Bar offers our own specialty drinks and full bar offerings daily. Be sure and check out the Riverwalk Veranda and enjoy the river while sipping your favorite beverage.

Our main lobby features exquisite art work, and the beautiful, winding staircase leading to the second floor courtyard and pool deck. The courtyard boasts 20-foot palm trees, retro pool furniture and an evening fire pit.

The El Tropicano Riverwalk is a “resort style” tropical themed hotel that offers 37,000 square feet of flexible meeting space. Don’t forget to stop by our Aviary and visit with Ricky, our resident Toucan.

Room Single Rate Double Rate Triple Rate Quad Rate
    Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    Guestroom Only $139 $139 $139 $139
    Guestroom with Breakfast $149 $149 $155 $161
    Guestroom, Breakfast, River taxi pass $174 $199 $230 $261

Monday
    Guestroom, Breakfast, River taxi pass $159 $169 $185 $201

PREPAX FORUMERS DINNER - Jan 22, 2015 - SIT DOWN (NOT BUFFET) 200 Person Max
    $26.00++ (Tax and Gratuity extra)

Beef or Chicken Fajitas
    with Beans and Mexican Rice
    Dinner includes soda bar during dinner hour

PAX FORUMERS FAREWELL - January 24, 2015 -200 Person Max
    $21.00++ (Tax and Gratuity extra)

Domestic Cheese Display
    Veggie Crudité
    Cocktail Empanadas
    Chicken Quesadillas

If we get 100+ People at either Dinner or Reception we can choose between these add-ons

Premium $15 First Hour / $10 Each Additional Hour (includes 100 bartender fee)
    Includes: Premium Brands
    House Wines
    Imported Beer
    Domestic Beer
    Soft Drinks
    Bottled Waters

Tex Mex Bar $15 First Hour / $8 Each Additional Hour (includes 100 bartender fee)
    Includes: Margaritas on the Rocks
    Corona
    Shiner Bock
    Dos XX
    Soft Drinks
    Bottled Waters

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    CresendoCresendo Part-Time Crimefighter HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have a hotel already set on the other side of the freeway which is only about 2 blocks away for a ton cheaper. But I would love to have a meet-up of some sort. I would be down for a dinner + drinks. I may go solo to this one, so I would be done for meeting people.

• Options
    DifinitusDifinitus Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    If you are wanting to purchase hotels, please get one within walking distance of the convention center. San Antonio is not a mass-transit friendly city and it is not reliable to use their systems. Downtown is a tourist hotspot because of the Riverwalk and The Alamo. Plenty of places to eat but it's pricey with all the attractions around so come prepared to spend a little more eating out than you normally would. Once the Pax South forum opens up, I'll put a more detailed guide.

My First PAX: Prime 2014
    Tickets [X] | Flight [X] | Coin [ ]
  • Options
    I spoke to the hotel above and decided not to go with them based on location and pricing. Any other suggestions are welcome. Also anyone wanting to work on "PAX South Events" that are community driven, please let me know. The website is bare bones (Read as placeholder crap on it only) We will need volunteers for the website and to coordinate events. I am trying to act as a conduit only, they are your/the community's events, paxfans.com will advertise and promote PAX Events only (Even ones from other PAXs (prime, east, aus), but we will not take them over. No third party ads will be allowed on the site, just information related to events. There will not be a forum, because this is our forum. I will be focusing on SOUTH, but if you want to focus on one of the others, the web space is available to all PAX Community events.

• Options
    JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    Tho the riverboat and Ricky, the resident Toucan, sounded tempting; I just got a JustInCase cancellable one across the street. My director friend iz from Texas so he's going to be our tour guide.
    Cant wait for the PAX hotel blocks to become available! and tickets too!

• Options
    NinjinNinjin ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Interesting, the OnPeak rate isn't any cheaper for me than my "just in case" reservation at the same hotel. Anyone else notice this? Anyone know which reservation is better to have (OnPeak or direct with the hotel) from a customer service perspective? i.e. which one has less risk of getting screwed up? I'm paranoid here.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Ninjin wrote: »
    Interesting, the OnPeak rate isn't any cheaper for me than my "just in case" reservation at the same hotel. Anyone else notice this? Anyone know which reservation is better to have (OnPeak or direct with the hotel) from a customer service perspective? i.e. which one has less risk of getting screwed up? I'm paranoid here.

My OnPeak would have been $10 more at the Hilton. I know that at the Sheraton for Prime in 2013 the internet was free for PAX. That might be an advantage to going with the OnPeak one. But I don't know.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Ninjin wrote: »

Yeah. The OnPeak Hyatt rate is only slightly cheaper than the "just in case" rate I already had. I'm not sure about the second question though. I've personally never experienced any issues with my reservations, but part of me wants to think that the slight edge would go to OnPeak maybe?

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    NinjinNinjin ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the replies. I should probably call and confirm my original reservation anyways. Something about booking 10 months in advance makes me feel uncertain. Like the electrons can't sit in the computer that long...irrational, I know. I've booked with onpeak for two PAXes and on my own once, haven't had an issue yet, knock on wood, so I'll probably just leave well enough alone unless something doesn't sound right.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Don't quote me on this, but I think the benefit to using OnPeak is your room is better guaranteed then just booking with the hotel itself. Some folks have got bumped doing so in the past.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
This discussion has been closed.