As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medical bills - advice please?

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
I've got a few hospital bills (totalling $10,000+) because of my recent...activities.

I have no ability to pay these bills. I was admitted after trying to hurt myself and placed on psychiatric holds.

Is there anything I can do? The hospital seems insistent that they've already appropriately 'discounted' me for being uninsured. I'm feeling pretty backed into a corner, here.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    usually a hospital will have some kind of spend down program where you'll only owe a percentage of the total based on your income.

also, you may (depending on age/state) be able to get state assistance which can sometimes retroactively help pay.

The hospital should have counselors to help you.

best of luck!

edit: hmmm they've already got you on spend down?!

still talk to a counselor at the place if you haven't. Then apply for every state sponsored hardship type thing you can find.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    vedettevedette Registered User regular
    There were organizations that are willing to help you. So, you can seek help.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ask about their charity programs. I had to do that once. It was only a few thousand in bills total for a bunch of blood work and an ultrasound, but after paying rent I was already at like -$300 a month. They asked to see a bank statement with rent, bills, and pay highlighted, and I had to fill out some paperwork.

You have to call and ask specially though, they wouldn't have done it automatically.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Eek, my mom had serious surgery before universal healthcare, and despite everything in her power to see if they could offer any forgiveness in payment given their financial circumstances, they wouldn't budge on a cent. Now my folks are nearly bankrupt, and need to borrow money from me (a grad student (!) with some income on the side) to stay afloat. Good luck, but YMMV. This is why people are outraged about this issue.

k-maps on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its important to know How Poor You Are

because that has a major influence on what kind of assistance you can get

If you above the poverty line, you're headed to collections pretty much

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Also do some research and find out exactly how much they charge insurance companies for the same procedures. Your bill should include CPT codes or the equivalent. Remember that your credit score cannot be impacted by medical bills under federal law. If you are being overcharged, tell them how you think it should cost and say that you are willing to pay that under a payment plan. If they refuse, still pay them under that plan.

When I was in college I had my appendix removed and the hospital tried to charge me like 5k for an overnight with a saline IV drip. My surgery and stay were not covered by my insurance which had a $10k deductible. My father is a physician he called the doc, and paid her what she said was fair. The hospital was grossly overcharging me on the bed and IV and would not come down on their pricing.

I ended up writing them a letter saying that my parents wouldn't pay their price and that I, as a student, was unable to pay their price. However, as a gesture of good faith, I would mail them a check for $20 every month. I did this for about a year. The expense never hit my credit score and I didn't get harassing calls from the hospital.

You should definitely see what resources are available to you, but also check and make sure you're not getting ripped off because you are self-paying.

Pacificstar on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you've got nothing, they can't take anything and thus should leave you alone. However they don't know that, so you do need to take the step in contacting their financial assistance people or whatever. If not then they'll send collections people after you whose job it is to be total assholes and make you feel like shit. Better to contact them first before it gets that far.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've got a few hospital bills (totalling $10,000+) because of my recent...activities.

I have no ability to pay these bills. I was admitted after trying to hurt myself and placed on psychiatric holds.

Is there anything I can do? The hospital seems insistent that they've already appropriately 'discounted' me for being uninsured. I'm feeling pretty backed into a corner, here.

$10,000 is an incredibly large bill even.

How long was your admission? Were you on any medication?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Remember that your credit score cannot be impacted by medical bills under federal law

Since when? This was certainly not the case in 2006.

However, the letter thing does work. When I was stuck with a >30k bill, I sent them a check for $500 with a letter explaining what the deal was, and they gave me a pretty heavy discount. Sill way more than 10k, but better than nothing

Today I have no debt and the marks are gone from my credit

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

I am far below the poverty line, essentially surviving on nothing more than the good graces of others.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Remember that your credit score cannot be impacted by medical bills under federal law

However, the letter thing does work. When I was stuck with a >30k bill, I sent them a check for $500 with a letter explaining what the deal was, and they gave me a pretty heavy discount. Sill way more than 10k, but better than nothing

Was true in 2002... I guess I haven't really checked up on this since. I guess I'm old :(

• Options

I am far below the poverty line, essentially surviving on nothing more than the good graces of others.

has anyone explained why you don't qualify for medicaid

• Options

Was true in 2002... I guess I haven't really checked up on this since. I guess I'm old :(

In 2006 my 20k hospital bill was sent to collections and that was on my credit score. i then had to petition to have it removed after I paid it off

the "hospital debt doesn't count" I believe is an urban legend because it has absolutely counted for me

• Options

has anyone explained why you don't qualify for medicaid

I had not yet been approved during my hospitalization.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    It should apply retroactively .... or at least it did in 2008 when my son needed it.

• Options
    yeah

you don't not get medicaid because they couldn't file the paperwork in time

if you truly make $0, then you are the intended recipient of medicaid. you should be calling and knocking on every door on that avenue to find out about coverage

that's pretty much your only ticket

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Retroactive Eligibility
    Medicaid coverage may start retroactively for up to 3 months prior to the month of application, if the individual would have been eligible during the retroactive period had he or she applied then. Coverage generally stops at the end of the month in which a person no longer meets the requirements for eligibility.
    Linky.

E: It sounds like you were in the process of medicaid application when you were hospitalized, so you should probably be covered.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies