As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Bob Hoskins

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or is 2014 the worst year for celebrities in a long while?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    about the same amount of celebrities as ever are dying, it's just that this year features more celebrities that you personally care about

liEt3nH.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    i am going to do my best to honor the man by pointing out that mario brothers was his biggest regret and he probably wouldn't want to be remembered for it

The movie might be one that never should have been made but him being in it was the one thing that kept the whole thing from turning into an unwatchable pile of trash.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    i am going to do my best to honor the man by pointing out that mario brothers was his biggest regret and he probably wouldn't want to be remembered for it

To be fair, I believe he specifically had a problem with the making of that movie.

In that it was a thoroughly unenjoyable experience through and through, including constant on-the-fly script revisions, miserable conditions, and even getting his hand broken. The fact that the final product wasn't well received after going through all of that didn't help.

But I don't think he's ever had a problem with people remembering that he was Mario. I may be wrong though.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Perhaps I should finally watch Hook

I have a great love for Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Super Mario Bros. though

I should watch one or both tonight

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    One of my co-workers just told me she's never seen Roger Rabbit or Hook.
    She was never allowed to watch them as a kid, and as an adult she just "never got around to it."

Mind: Boggled.

edit: She has seen Mario Bros, though, and was saddened to learn that Mario Mario had died.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    As for Hoskins and Mario

Artists often disown their own works, sometimes ones that are even very enjoyable

I legit love Super Mario Bros. and Hoskins' portrayal of Mario in it

I don't think it's disrespectful at all to remember him for that

UnbreakableVow on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I remember seeing Hook on a math team trip and thinking them rolling the tubby kid into bad-guys was pretty much the funniest thing I had ever seen in my life. It's a movie that ages well simply because you see it from a different vantage point when you're a grown up with a family.

Bill Murray hated Ghostbusters II.

Doesn't stop me from loving it nearly as much as the original.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wow, he was only three years younger than Christopher Lloyd.

Lloyd just looks perpetually 70.

YL9WnCY.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    One of my co-workers just told me she's never seen Roger Rabbit or Hook.
    She was never allowed to watch them as a kid, and as an adult she just "never got around to it."

Mind: Boggled.

edit: She has seen Mario Bros, though, and was saddened to learn that Mario Mario had died.

Tell her it's responsibility to see Hook and Roger Rabbit asap.

Those movies are fucking classics.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I really liked Ghostbusters II, but that's because my parents felt the first one was maybe a bit too scary for us so that was the first one we saw.

YL9WnCY.png
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Not mine but...

75eYIYZ.jpg

D:

Huh...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

edited April 2014
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I really liked Ghostbusters II, but that's because my parents felt the first one was maybe a bit too scary for us so that was the first one we saw.

When I was a kid, the painting of Vigo in Ghostbusters II scared me more than anything in the first movie.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg

When I was a kid, the painting of Vigo in Ghostbusters II scared me more than anything in the first movie.

The scene where his face starts to press out of the painting near the beginning creeped me right out.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

More than the bathtub scene?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Th scene with Judge Doom getting flattened and then getting up again always scared the shit out of me.

I was terrified, but couldn't look away from the scene.

agoaj wrote: »

With the cute, pink blob of hand-soap that tries to gum that baby with it's toothless mouth? I tried to re-create that scene with shampoo several times.

None of them touch the librarian ghost from the beginning of the first movie to me but Vigo was pretty spooky.

Sassori wrote: »
    Th scene with Judge Doom getting flattened and then getting up again always scared the shit out of me.

REMEMBA' ME EDDIE! WHEN I KILLED YOUR BROTHER!?

*shudder*

The hounds from the first movie scared the fuck outta me as a kid.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

*shudder*

I TALKED

JUST

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yup!

Seriously, one time I accidentally paused the tape by hitting the VHS remote with my foot, and it paused on a perfect close-up of the painting, which was staring right back at me. I wanted to hit play, but I literally couldn't move because how how terrified I was. It took like a whole minute for me to muster up the courage to run out of the living room.

After that, everything in the first movie was downright adorable.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

*shudder*

I TALKED

JUST

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

GGz9PkP.gif

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Christopher Lloyd... Always looking around 50 or so.

Yup!

Seriously, one time I accidentally paused the tape by hitting the VHS remote with my foot, and it paused on a perfect close-up of the painting, which was staring right back at me. I wanted to hit play, but I literally couldn't move because how how terrified I was. It took like a whole minute for me to muster up the courage to run out of the living room.

After that, everything in the first movie was downright adorable.

I've been thinking that when I have a home and can make a "man-cave" area I want to hang this in it.

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    As much as I love Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I think my favourite Bob Hoskins role might be the insane plumber from Brazil.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    oh god i've never wanted anything so badly

I wanted to mention Brazil but I wasn't sure how many would remember he was in that.

I also didn't hate him in the Jet Li movie "Unleashed".

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Unleashed was a good movie and he was good in it

God yes, specifically the effect of him wobbling on the floor immediately after picking himself up.

That was some Freddy Kruger shit.

It is still unbelievable to me that Roger Rabbit got made. It's such a marvel from every angle.

It's a period detective movie set in postwar Los Angeles
    made in collaboration between major rival studios
    which uses cutting-edge animatronics and practical effects superimposed with hand-drawn animation
    which deals with racial inequality during the Hollywood boom
    and the corporate takeover of the transit system.

Oh and it's a kids' movie featuring both an on-screen execution of a cute cartoon character as well as a thinly-veiled inter-species sex-scene.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    No joke, Roger Rabbit was my 2nd favorite movie as a kid (Right after Star Wars)

This freakin hurts.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Also it's the secret second sequel to Chinatown

mkc.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

*shudder*

I TALKED

JUST

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

GGz9PkP.gif

Just this second realized he's literally looking daggers.

That movie.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yeah the same amount of celebrities as ever is dying. Unfortunately, we're right at that sweet spot where the 80s was 25 to 35 years ago, which means that people who acted in the movies you grew up loving are now 45 to 85 years old. I imagine every generation comes through these years and it sucks ass.

sig.gif