As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh, is it to be another "Day 1 DLC" argument/debate?

/popcorn

;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    If you bought Beware Planet Earth via the Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle in December 2012, you probably now have a Steam key for it.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    1.-Goodfellas-1990.jpg

As long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster.

Steam thread! I have four copies of Omerta: City of Gangsters to give away because steam just keeps giving me four copies of games I already own. So if you want one tell me why you always wanted to be a gangster!

Omerta_-_City_of_Gangsters-Logo.png

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So I don't have any real knowledge about Child of Light, but I only see one DLC that actually has any content and it's only $3. I have no idea what Oculis are in reference to the game, but surely those "DLC's" are simply buying boosts, right?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Thanks @Talus9952 for Lego Batman 2, my first Lego game and I heard this one is one of the most fun. Not only that, but it is also regarded as the best Superman game ever, so thanks again! :smiley:<3

camo_sig2.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So I don't have any real knowledge about Child of Light, but I only see one DLC that actually has any content and it's only $3. I have no idea what Oculis are in reference to the game, but surely those "DLC's" are simply buying boosts, right?

Yeah, one aside it looks like it's just miscellaneous gear/gems/runes/stat boosts/whatevers.

Doesn't seem like a big deal aside from the sticker shock of seeing 7 DLC at first glance.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Apparently there is a APR25OFF code on Gamefly for 25% off. Works with Child of Light (which sadly is the uplay version, no steam as far as I can tell) but also works with Endless Legend which is already on sale so, with the code it is $19.68

I haven't found a game that the code doesn't work with yet so if you want 25% off anything on the site, now is a good time.

EDIT: apparently it even works on Max Payne 3 complete pack so that it's only $5.99.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That's a pretty cool deal for Endless Legend.

I woke up thinking about that game. I really like the core gameplay. Once again they've come up with a slick set of interconnected systems.

• MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    I finally got paid, which means I finally got DS2
    HOLY SHIT IT RUNS SO GOOD ON PC IN COMPARISON TO CONSOLE!!
    HOLY SHIT IT RUNS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DS1!!!!
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!1111!!!1111!!!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I really want Child of Light, but I really should finish some backlog first.

That's what I keep thinking. My backlog is getting pretty epic. I'm tempted to swear off new games until I have at least made a significant dent. I probably have 100 games that I actually want to play that I have not even given any real time to including some GOTY-type games (as dictated by this thread who I trust as opposed to some lame marketing heads)

steam_sig.png

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Day 1 DLC for cheap games can be cool if its cosmetic related.

Having a quest/whatever cut out at launch is really not cool.

You know what would be better? A bunch of free cosmetic DLC.

I would be more responsive to buying a $15 game with a bunch of free minor DLC than a $15 game with a bunch of $2 minor DLC.

As for the DLC powerups, I won't support any developer that expects me to pay money for a cheat code.

But I'm one of those fringe cases that believes that while DLC can be a great addition to a game, its abuse is killing the game industry. I think that in the future we'll look back on games with shitty DLC strategies the same way we look back on godawful difficulty levels from NES games in the 80s that only existed because Nintendo was unsuccessful in banning videogame rentals in the US.

On a side note, why have all of the Starship Troopers mods for HL2 been abandoned before they were finished? All I want to do is shoot wave after wave of bugs while the Klendathu Drop theme plays in the background.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's what I keep thinking. My backlog is getting pretty epic. I'm tempted to swear off new games until I have at least made a significant dent. I probably have 100 games that I actually want to play that I have not even given any real time to including some GOTY-type games (as dictated by this thread who I trust as opposed to some lame marketing heads)

I have yet to even install Tomb Raider.

...yeah, I know. Bring the pitchforks and torches.

That's one of the ones on my list (though I did install it to farm for cards :( )

steam_sig.png

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

You're wasting your life.

s7Imn5J.png
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So I was watching this horrible prison movie where the director has some odd types of fetishes on netflix called jailbait (it's not good at all don't bother, i wonder about facebooks opinion on movies) and @Talus9952 must have known as he sent Prison Architect my way! Just the thing to forget about that shitty movie and tempt me into watching orange is the new black whenever this backlog gets slightly under control.

Thank you much!

edit: screwed up with the @ shoot sorry about that.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Final reminder, couple of hours left on these. The ones at the bottom are still up for grabs, too.

Sumanai wrote: »
    Woo! Birthday sometime this week, so it's time for my usual hobbit giveaway: Gifts for everyone!!! (Well, some of you at least). Funds are almost nonexistent so I had to resort to whatever I had in my inventory/keys.txt/cardmonies. Hope you guys enjoy! :smile:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

I also have these games to giveaway, but I can't create steamgifts giveaways for them for some reason. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested in any of these:

PID
    Enclave
    Super Sanctum TD
    Snuggle Truck

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Uplay appears to be evolving. With Child of Light every achievement gives you Uplay points as opposed to previous games where it was usually just 4. There's also a slew of stuff to spend to points on, though nothing particularly exciting, some of which you can buy multiple times (potions and whatnot).

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

You're wasting your life.

Tomb Raider is so good.

My qualms about it not being in line with previous games in the franchise aside, it is the best action game to come out in a long time, and is easily one of the best games of 2013.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Uplay appears to be evolving. With Child of Light every achievement gives you Uplay points as opposed to previous games where it was usually just 4. There's also a slew of stuff to spend to points on, though nothing particularly exciting, some of which you can buy multiple times (potions and whatnot).
    It might be good to point out though that I believe all the points go into a generic pool. So you can use points gotten from child of light to get stuff in far cry 3.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    It might be good to point out though that I believe all the points go into a generic pool. So you can use points gotten from child of light to get stuff in far cry 3.

Yeah they do. I had points already so I bought the only useful looking thing, one that marks a type of collectable on the map before I'd even launched the game, and the points I earned topped it off.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Child of Light question! Is there obvious 'hitting' in the game? Would it be inappropriate for a 3-year-old to view?

camo_sig2.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yay for @Sumanai‌ for gifting me Enclave!

3kr42vlhex6v.jpg

Classiness and an adventure/RPG. Spiffycool! :D

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Child of Light question! Is there obvious 'hitting' in the game? Would it be inappropriate for a 3-year-old to view?

There's not really much physical contact. All of the characters have these little pedestals they stand on during combat, and even the basic physical attack Aurora has, she raises her sword, slashes at the air, and the slash hits the enemy on their pedestal. I'd say it's mostly appropriate, but there's a few monsters and noises that might be a little scary.

What the hell is this and why didn't I notice it when it came out?

'fast paced lane strategy'...is that like a 40k version of Plants Vs Zombies?

Has anyone tried this? Can it be fun? I'd be rad if it were fun.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

There's not really much physical contact. All of the characters have these little pedestals they stand on during combat, and even the basic physical attack Aurora has, she raises her sword, slashes at the air, and the slash hits the enemy on their pedestal. I'd say it's mostly appropriate, but there's a few monsters and noises that might be a little scary.

Based on the demo, it's a pretty text-heavy game, though, so I'd see how hard a time the kid has with reading/understanding the story.

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

The characters are separated onto platforms, left and right.
    You can see the girl swing her sword or cast magic from her platform but the sword strike doesn't physically hit the enemy on screen.
    I haven't seen any blood either and with the rating of the game I doubt there is.

With regards to complaints about the DLC, none of it is required except maybe the Golem pack and I would only consider that if you played the game and enjoyed it.
    The rest of the DLC is pretty much one or two skins and some booster items which you can freely earn in the game.
    They are basically shortcut packs like you would find in something from an EA Title (Battlefield) that are absolutely not needed and are for people who want to rush through the game with no challenge or explore the absolutely beautiful world created here in this game.
    If you had pre-purchased it on Steam then you already got the Light Aurora pack.
    I believe the Golem pack was exclusive to the Physical European Deluxe Edition that came with a poster, keychain and a small art book.

I'm no fan of Day 1 DLC either but it's not something that's going to change any time soon from the major publishers.
    We as consumers have a very simple option though...Don't buy it.

I've played only a small bit on PS3 so far but it's a gorgeous game, the animation is so nice to look at. It has a fantastic soundtrack to compliment the game and it's only $15.
    It's supposed to have about 10 hours of gameplay which is probably dependent on how much you explore in the game and the difficulty you play on but for the price it's not going to break the bank.

DaxterMax on
    Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I don't understand the concept of this "not installed."

You guys need to get bigger hard drives.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It's going to get more and more strange when physical stuff gets increasingly endangered. When a digital game gets pulled, that's it, game over. You can't go to a mom and pop shop and find a dusty copy sitting on the shelf. Hell, look at shit like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, where there are two characters that you literally cannot get now (and thus cannot use nor practice against) because all its DLC and digital versions got pulled.

It's going to get even stranger when old physical media reaches the end of it's lifespan and millions upon millions of games just stop working.

It'll be interesting to see if the predictions of the lifespans of CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays are accurate or not. Will our game collections outlive us or we will outlive our game collections?

You know how the Library of Congress has that thing where they archive certain movies deemed "culturally significant", and so they make backups of these movies so that our society as a whole should never lose them? We don't really have that for games yet, as video gaming is a relatively new medium in comparison to film, but think about it....can you imagine the internet jabronis arguing about whether or not something Gone Home is/is not a game and thus is/is not worthy of being archived? People still argue about early Mario titles and which one(s) are sucky and which one(s) is/are good.

Dude, there ARE rom and PC iso backup sites, there already are plenty of digital backups of all the old games. The abandonware stuff is a bit more 'legit', but still not exactly legal. Sort of like MAME stuff. Not something to talk about here, but trust me, archives DO exist, just not in a legal sense.

I think that's a big part of the issue. The copies are definitely still out there, but a proper archive, or even just sorting out the legal status of abandoned IP, would need some kind of coordination and not a small amount of effort. The rights to some titles are probably a nightmare to untangle, and I can't imagine there are many people both interested in and capable of doing so.

Speaking of Cryostasis, the developer (Action Forms) is based in Ukraine, while the publisher (1C Company) is based in Russia. I'm not sure when the game was removed from Steam/GOG - wayback machine suggests it was delisted from 1CC's website as of January 2013 - but it wouldn't surprise me if the current conflict was responsible somehow.

You can actualy get a feel for what an archive would be like by listening to this podcast wherein a researcher at Stanford is hoping to archive online and digital worlds: http://alifewellwasted.com/2009/03/03/episode-two-gotta-catch-em-all/

Just gave this a listen while I was out walking. Neat stuff, thanks for the link! I'm always curious what happens to online games when they finally get pulled; whether there's any remnant of the underlying software on a server somewhere, or if the whole thing is just scrapped and physical copies/client launchers are all that's left. Singleplayer games are comparatively easy to store and retrieve, provided the file integrity can be maintained.

Meanwhile, my GOTY copy of Deus Ex keeps on truckin', thirteen years and counting. Bought a Steam copy for ease of access, but we'll see how long the disc lasts.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

1 TB with half used up. For me to fill up the other half would require several more years of Steam sales.

Also I got my first real paycheck, that's not from retail, today! Only half a month, and a quarter of that gone to various taxes/retirement/SS/whothehellisCASDIandSEI/etc, but still!

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

It was made by the developers of Ride to hell: Retribution.

I'll let you mull on that for a bit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    did uhhh... did steam make a change that lets you log in to steam on multiple computers? Because I definitely did not have to log in to steam this morning at work, and when I went back home, I was still on steam... I am confused, and afraid... and
    hail hydra

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I have all my games installed. Though I'm running out of room on my 2TB hard drive and need to move . . . other files elsewhere, or delete them to free up some space.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    @Jragghen‌ of the Yottabyte Tribe.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    heenato wrote: »

It was made by the developers of Ride to hell: Retribution.

I'll let you mull on that for a bit.

Hmm....so I assume the game has space marines dry humping with their suits on?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

@KoopahTroopah‌

Let me put this in terms you will understand: The way you feel about Dark Souls? That's how I feel about Tomb Raider. Play it. Play it now, damn you!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    did uhhh... did steam make a change that lets you log in to steam on multiple computers? Because I definitely did not have to log in to steam this morning at work, and when I went back home, I was still on steam... I am confused, and afraid... and
    hail hydra

It allows it now. Mainly for the purpose of game streaming from the main PC to Steambox or other PC/Laptop in the house

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so now i need to fix my old pc and turn it into a streaming server.... yessss.... yesssssssssssssssss
    I really don't want to buy a new power supply for it though :|

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST

@KoopahTroopah‌

Let me put this in terms you will understand: The way you feel about Dark Souls? That's how I feel about Tomb Raider. Play it. Play it now, damn you!

But... but dark souls...

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    @Jragghen‌ of the Yottabyte Tribe.

*glances at his file server*

Give me a few years.

This discussion has been closed.