As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the groundRegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in Social Entropy++
Old thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175648/standalone-out-now-on-steam-early-access-dayz#latest

All aboard the BETA 1.0 HYPE TRAIN! CHOO-CHOO!

For mumble info, PM me. Ride together, die together.

Hamuel on

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Dang, you beat me by a few seconds, Hamuel.
    Welcome to DayZ! In the fictional Eastern European country of Chernarus, mysterious causes have turned most of the population into violent zombies. As one of the few survivors, your goal is to scavenge for supplies such as food or medicine. But the real danger is MAN (thanks, Karrde). Those guys will shoot you for your beans and won't think twice! If you're lucky, they'll just take your pants. If you're lucky.

DayZ started out as a mod for the military shooter ARMA 2, but it since has been developed into a standalone game. The standalone is currently only available as an early-access alpha which still lacks many features, but we play as a group and have a lot fun (when the bugs don't come in the way).

If you would like to know more about what it's like to play the game, please refer to this scarily accurate flow chart, courtesy of Steam user TK:

aygww7sx.png

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Please forgive me, Platy. You have the superior introduction!

• Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    They gatta rename it DayZ: Northeast Deathmatch.

Change the spaaaaaaaaaaaaawns, add diversity! I'm bored! I WANT to explore places, I WANT to go to spots other than the north east airfield, I WANT to see the little things they have added around the map, but I DON'T want to run 40 minutes to get to any of them.

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I agree, getting pretty bored of the neaf. Elektro was fun the other day but having to settle for krutoy cap/solichney spawns to get there is a bother.

I hope they eventually bring back spawns along the entire coast. I don't like the inland spawns they've been adding either because it just increases the chances of people spawning behind you.

I'm still of the opinion that spawns are as much a balance issue as anything, and so I don't understand why they are fucking with spawns when they don't give a fuck about balance in any other aspect of the game. Sort out stuff like loot tables, loot respawn, weapon balance and all that sort of thing, and then sort out spawning.

Ash of Yew on
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I am honestly disgusted at how long it's taken to get loot respawn in. Deal with "realism" aspects like getting hungry every 5 minutes after making sure people can FIND THE GODDAMN FOOD. You shouldn't have to rely on a sever that restarts every 2 hours, which can be a huge pain and kill of populations extremely quickly.

And thanks for making the new thread, Hamuel. I would have, but I've been out of town the last couple of days.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm trying not to get too irritated about the production timeline. It's been said again and again, it takes a lot less time to add new assets such as hats, jackets, melee weapons, etc., so what I am being led to understand is that they have a team adding content while another is looking at bigger issues. It'll come when it's ready...

Hamuel on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I am honestly disgusted at how long it's taken to get loot respawn in. Deal with "realism" aspects like getting hungry every 5 minutes after making sure people can FIND THE GODDAMN FOOD. You shouldn't have to rely on a sever that restarts every 2 hours, which can be a huge pain and kill of populations extremely quickly.

Pretty much.

Certainly shouldn't have implemented some backward ass anti-server hoping shit before fixing lootrespawning, too, since you are either getting kicked off a server that restarts or desperately trying to find something to stave off red hunger.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    Karrde1842 wrote: »

Pretty much.

Certainly shouldn't have implemented some backward ass anti-server hoping shit before fixing lootrespawning, too, since you are either getting kicked off a server that restarts or desperately trying to find something to stave off red hunger.

I can't remember the last time I starved to death. I don't think it's ever happened. Finding food really isn't that difficult. My typical life cycle goes something like this:

Spawn -> run to new town or new new town -> demolish the town's food supply -> guzzle an entire pond down my gullet -> find a gun and ammo -> go find someone to fight.

I never live long enough to have food become an issue anymore.

I've lived for, erm, quite some time now and food hasn't been an issue. Once you get to light green, you seem to need very little food to survive. However you starve/dehydrate quite quickly as a fresh spawn. Never had much trouble finding food and water though.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hopped on last night for a bit. You guys weren't kidding about the zombies. Took waaaay too many axe hits to down and they can apparently phase through walls.

Esh wrote: »
    Hopped on last night for a bit. You guys weren't kidding about the zombies. Took waaaay too many axe hits to down and they can apparently phase through walls.
    Pro tip: use your fists to knock them out a few times. Way easier to aim than an axe and more reliable.

Hamuel wrote: »
    Pro tip: use your fists to knock them out a few times. Way easier to aim than an axe and more reliable.

The rain system is nice though. It really felt like I was experiencing the build up and come down from a thunderstorm.

edited April 2014
    I'm trying not to get too irritated about the production timeline. It's been said again and again, it takes a lot less time to add new assets such as hats, jackets, melee weapons, etc., so what I am being led to understand is that they have a team adding content while another is looking at bigger issues. It'll come when it's ready...

I try to remind myself to be patient but it is kinda dumb the way they go about it. They said they just implement new systems as they become ready, but the fact remains that instead of working on some of these things they should probably work on others first. For instance loot respawn really should have been added before physics. I don't care about the content stuff, because that really is separate but for the major systems, aside from what they've said about having a team solely dedicated to hunting and solely dedicated to zombies, it seems like it's the main team implementing these other mechanics and I just feel they could prioritize better to make the experience better for us.

The thing is they don't care about us, because it's an alpha, and I totally get that. It's just frustrating is all, because while it's probably a bit of an over simplification, it's just asking them to be organized to improve our experience, and that seems like it's not too much to ask. I have no doubt they'll get us to the destination, I just wish they'd give us a smoother ride.

As for starving, yeah I've never starved to death. The main issue with server hopping is finding weapons or getting stuck on servers that say they are day but are really night. You typically need to join a not so full server to gear up and then switch to a higher pop one to actually get some fights, and that's where the timer becomes annoying. Finding food is usually just a matter of checking the more ignored houses if a town is pretty cleared out.

Ash of Yew on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Last night guys. Last freeking night

Me and three friends are just geared up (we have between us 1 SKS (mine) with 26 shots, 2 Mosins with 42 shots, and one M4 with an improbable 500 rounds). One friend and I (SKS and M4) are looting ATC and my other two friends (slightly up the hill overlooking NEAF) start yelling into Skype "GROUP OF 12 COMING! GROUP OF 12 COMING!"

all we heard was "WOLF WOLF!"

"ahahha guys bang bang we killed them all"

"NO!" they say, "FUCKING SERIOUSLY!"

"haha you guys"

a guy walks past the door ....

and another guy walks past the door ....

"oh" we both say ....

All hell breaks loose.

I kill one invader before being knocked unconscious and my friend with the M4 kills two.

I'm listening on skype while my two Mosin friends kill five and my friend with the M4 kills the other four while they're trying to pinpoint the Mosins.

I then get a shot from a friend and two saline bags and all that's left are 12 bodies with more ruined loot than I've ever seen in my life.

our ammo count afterwards was:

SKS - 20 rounds (cause I got knocked out early)
    Mosins - 3 Rounds
    M4 - 13 Rounds

It was a good night

Most of it was FRAPSed so I can't wait to see that edited up =)

Xaquin on
    Damn that's crazy, post the video when its up!

Ash of Yew wrote: »

I try to remind myself to be patient but it is kinda dumb the way they go about it. They said they just implement new systems as they become ready, but the fact remains that instead of working on some of these things they should probably work on others first. For instance loot respawn really should have been added before physics. I don't care about the content stuff, because that really is separate but for the major systems, aside from what they've said about having a team solely dedicated to hunting and solely dedicated to zombies, it seems like it's the main team implementing these other mechanics and I just feel they could prioritize better to make the experience better for us.

The thing is they don't care about us, because it's an alpha, and I totally get that. It's just frustrating is all, because while it's probably a bit of an over simplification, it's just asking them to be organized to improve our experience, and that seems like it's not too much to ask. I have no doubt they'll get us to the destination, I just wish they'd give us a smoother ride.

As for starving, yeah I've never starved to death. The main issue with server hopping is finding weapons or getting stuck on servers that say they are day but are really night. You typically need to join a not so full server to gear up and then switch to a higher pop one to actually get some fights, and that's where the timer becomes annoying. Finding food is usually just a matter of checking the more ignored houses if a town is pretty cleared out.

I starved to death once .... with 5 cans of food and not a single thing to open them with.

No screwdriver, wrench, knife, axe, can opener, or ANYTHING.

not for lack of looking lol

Wombat!! wrote: »

Change the spaaaaaaaaaaaaawns, add diversity! I'm bored! I WANT to explore places, I WANT to go to spots other than the north east airfield, I WANT to see the little things they have added around the map, but I DON'T want to run 40 minutes to get to any of them.

I love the trips from the coasts into the middle of the map. Yeah, it takes a little bit, but the journey is fun.

Wombat!! wrote: »

I love the trips from the coasts into the middle of the map. Yeah, it takes a little bit, but the journey is fun.

It'd be nicer if walking up a 15% incline didn't turn you into some kind of invalid.

The thing is for most of us we've been playing DayZ for like 2 years now. We know the map, regardless of the changes and there's just no real incentive to go inland.
    At the end of the day the current state of the stand alone is a deathmatch, with even fewer distractions than the mod.

The thing is for most of us we've been playing DayZ for like 2 years now. We know the map, regardless of the changes and there's just no real incentive to go inland.
    At the end of the day the current state of the stand alone is a deathmatch, with even fewer distractions than the mod.

There is when the coast is stripped bare and there's a plethora of food and weapons inland.

There's no real incentive to bother with that though, especially when there's no guarantee the place won't be looted when you get there meaning you'll have to server hop any ways.

I typically just join a server that's like 10 or so out of 30/40, find a gun in either berezino, svet or new new town and then go to the airfield. By then the server either fills up, or I wait around a bit for a fight. If no one shows up I'll swap to a higher pop server. It's a bit shitty, but that's the state of the game without loot respawn.

The people who show up at the airfield are usually all kitted out, so upgrading your weapon if you're into that is basically a non-issue. Food is a matter of finding 1-2 bags of rice/cereal/powder milk and then you don't need to eat again for over an hour.

To get me to go some place like the nwaf or the more inland military bases they're going to need to add high end weapons or attachments or some sort of items that only spawn there, and loot will need to respawn so that I know that even if I run across the map I can still get something.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Food is a matter of finding 1-2 bags of rice/cereal/powder milk and then you don't need to eat again for over an hour.

That doesn't sound very nutritious, Bororms, you gotta go find some fruit or you'll get all blocked up.

Cereal has fiber added.

There's no real incentive to bother with that though, especially when there's no guarantee the place won't be looted when you get there meaning you'll have to server hop any ways.

I typically just join a server that's like 10 or so out of 30/40, find a gun in either berezino, svet or new new town and then go to the airfield. By then the server either fills up, or I wait around a bit for a fight. If no one shows up I'll swap to a higher pop server. It's a bit shitty, but that's the state of the game without loot respawn.

The people who show up at the airfield are usually all kitted out, so upgrading your weapon if you're into that is basically a non-issue. Food is a matter of finding 1-2 bags of rice/cereal/powder milk and then you don't need to eat again for over an hour.

To get me to go some place like the nwaf or the more inland military bases they're going to need to add high end weapons or attachments or some sort of items that only spawn there, and loot will need to respawn so that I know that even if I run across the map I can still get something.

But that's the fun, the uncertainty. Makes it so much more rewarding when you do find something. Server hopping to gear up takes the fun out of the game. I'm not saying that loot respawn doesn't need to go in anytime soon (it does), but part of what makes the game so engaging is the struggle.

Cereal has fiber added.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE SCURVY, BORORMS?!?

But that's the fun, the uncertainty. Makes it so much more rewarding when you do find something. Server hopping to gear up takes the fun out of the game. I'm not saying that loot respawn doesn't need to go in anytime soon (it does), but part of what makes the game so engaging is the struggle.

I mean from the get go I'm faced with the decision of whether I want to join a server that I know could potentially have loot or one that I know is most likely going to be cleaned out. That's the decision I have to make as soon as I log in to a server and I can tell by the pop. It's admirable if you want to place that extra challenge on yourself of joining a server you already know is going to be cleaned out, but I just don't personally find that very fun. It's a bit of an artificial challenge.

I don't really find there's any real struggle to DayZ in its current state, without imparting it on yourself and I already handicap myself in a number of other ways.

Bingo.

Get geared up and go looking for a fight. See a guy without a gun? Leave him alone. See a guy with a gun? Start some crap.

By the time I roll through a town and a base, I have enough food to get stuffed and enough nota cola to have a party.

So without pvp, the game is essentially over in an hour and a half.

edited April 2014
    It's actually something I've been thinking about lately and find a little bit interesting and wonder how much thought they plan to put into. There is a bit of a progression to DayZ in terms of players evolving, for better or worse (I'd honestly say the end result is sorta a bad thing) of when you start out in DayZ you feel really lost, you don't know how to get any where and if you're unfamiliar with navigating by map/compass you're especially in a bit of trouble. You haven't yet learned where all the loot is, or how the game world works. In the case of the mod you didn't even know which houses you could go in or not. Then the more you play a lot of that mystery is taken away, you start to learn where you can reliably find a gun or food, you learn your way around the map to the point you don't even need a map/compass any more, you learn the little tricks in regards to pvp and zombies and the combat becomes a lot less scary (but still fun). I literally crouch walked every where when I started the mod, like running across the map in a crouch walk.

The vast majority of the wonder and challenge is gone, as you become familiar with the game. It's sad honestly.

Some people are better at holding on to that than others I think. I know some of us still enjoy sneaking about the woods or making those treks out to explore stuff or get that extra loot, or still get jumpy at any gunfire (even our own =P). But some of that magic is lost over time. This is why I encourage new DayZ players to play solo for a bit, so they can get that experience.

So I wonder how they will address that gap to appeal to both sides of the spectrum. To keep things a bit fresh and interesting and provide incentive to do more for those who have done everything 1000x already. I'm genuinely curious if it's something they even think about, because when you watch devs play their own games (not just dayz) they usually are closer to the "new player" side of the spectrum than the other. I honestly sorta doubt Rocket has ever even been in squad fights like we have, I doubt he's even had to deal with fuckers wall glitching. I'm fairly sure Hicks seems to play and pvp quite a bit in comparison to the rest of the team, but even he is coming from a different mindset than a lot of the more veteran players as he thinks a three valley spawn is "fun."

As the game becomes more well rounded a lot of these things will work themselves out as well, I have no doubt. But is there ever going to be a real reason for me to pick up a map again?

Ash of Yew on
    Apparently the max timer to switch servers now is 200 seconds. I'll take it.

I mean from the get go I'm faced with the decision of whether I want to join a server that I know could potentially have loot or one that I know is most likely going to be cleaned out. That's the decision I have to make as soon as I log in to a server and I can tell by the pop. It's admirable if you want to place that extra challenge on yourself of joining a server you already know is going to be cleaned out, but I just don't personally find that very fun. It's a bit of an artificial challenge.

I don't really find there's any real struggle to DayZ in its current state, without imparting it on yourself and I already handicap myself in a number of other ways.

See, even on fuller servers, everyone thinks the interior is gonna be cleaned out and never goes to look and most times, they're wrong. ; )

See, even on fuller servers, everyone thinks the interior is gonna be cleaned out and never goes to look and most times, they're wrong. ; )

really?

I always assume the interior is full of loot, but I'll never check to see because if I wanted to take a walk through an uninhabited forest and listen to birds for 20 minutes I'd go outside

It's a bit less that I don't expect there to be loot, but more that what's going to be there that I can't get around the coast? The choice is either about a 40 minute walk (20 there and back) or hopping servers. It's not like I just stick to one town and hop if it's empty either, that's rarely the case any ways. Between the 3-4 major towns in the north east you're almost always likely to find something.

Once stuff like persistent objects get put in, and I have motivation to stick to one server then I'll likely never want to switch again once we settle on a good one. It took a bit of persuasion usually to get me to go off BMRF 4 to BMRF 1 or whatever, even when the pop started to dwindle. I'm actually all for sticking to one server, it's just the current state of SA does not give me any reason to at all.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Once you can establish camps and bases, I think there'll be more going on elsewhere. Part of why the mod was moderately more spread out towards the end is because people had camps all over the place, because if you had your camp in too common of a location someone would find it and loot it.

It still clustered, but having things like the Polana factory being the best place to find car parts is a pretty big reason to head over there instead of just chilling at the NWAF.

I just want goals. A reason to survive and care about surviving beyond 'oh good I'm still alive!'

And once they start bringing in rarer guns and such I think it'll help as well.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    The trick is to form deep emotional bonds with items you are carrying.

Fyndir wrote: »
    The trick is to form deep emotional bonds with items you are carrying.

I have a pair of blue track pants in-game that I've named "Theodore".

Man I was looking at some of my videos from the mod, I used to be able to shoot guys. Ughhh I miss being able to aim.

Man I was looking at some of my videos from the mod, I used to be able to shoot guys. Ughhh I miss being able to aim.

Just.

Be better????

We might have to take your shotgun license away from you, Bor!

Let's face it: you're a double-barrel man for life. No amount of AS50s would change that.