As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I took my 3DS with me on an archeology trip, hoping to get some 3d pictures of animal bones.

It was in the bag with the snacks. And the vacuum bottles with water.

One bottle opened on its own.

...Any tips on drying out a wet 3DS XL?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Do the cel phone trick with rice

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Already on it. Think I'll give it through the weekend.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Wait, it's May?

Thirty days has September, April, June and November... Huh. I was sure April had 31 days.

That means Mario Golf comes out... tomorrow?

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I'm trying out the Mario Golf demo, and I'm not sure that the difference is between easy and manual shots. You have to press the A button again after you fill up the meter within the sweet spot area, that determines spin or something? Then what does using the circle pad to move the dot on the ball do? I don't know golf, tell me more tutorial toad!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    So my 32GB SD card comes in today and I am wondering if I should just transfer my files immediately on to it or do I have to format it somehow? I don't think I ever formatted my 4GB when I transferred from my 2GB card.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I'm trying out the Mario Golf demo, and I'm not sure that the difference is between easy and manual shots. You have to press the A button again after you fill up the meter within the sweet spot area, that determines spin or something? Then what does using the circle pad to move the dot on the ball do? I don't know golf, tell me more tutorial toad!
    (I've never played a different Mario Golf game and I'm not even good at the demo so don't be surprised if this turns out to be 100% wrong)

The sweet spot area sort of determines spin, but not in a way you want. It doesn't add very much and reduces the overall distance of your shot. Almost always, you want to get "perfect!" on that part, even if you're trying to apply spin.

I set it to Manual the first time I played because I'm not a filthy casual1, but I didn't realize that it didn't save that choice when I closed the demo entirely, so I have accidentally hit about 2 shots on Easy mode, which probably makes me 100% qualified to speak about the differences. I believe that Easy just chooses a random offset from the sweet spot for the second half of the swing. It's not likely to be perfect, but on the other hand, you can screw manually up a lot worse than it will do automatically.

I didn't know you can use the circle pad to apply spin. Can you apply it more precisely than "100% up, 100% left, 100% down or 100% right", or is it effectively the same as the d-pad? I'd try it myself, but I'm at school.

1 this is a joke. not only am i not someone who would make fun of people for playing a game casually, i am absolutely a filthy casual

Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    So my 32GB SD card comes in today and I am wondering if I should just transfer my files immediately on to it or do I have to format it somehow? I don't think I ever formatted my 4GB when I transferred from my 2GB card.
    I didn't have to do anything special.
    # insert current SD card
    sudo mount /dev/sdc /mnt
    cp /mnt ~/3DS
    sudo umount /mnt
    # remove current SD card, insert new one
    sudo mount /dev/sdc /mnt
    sudo mv ~/3DS/* /mnt
    sudo umount /mnt
    rm -r ~/3DS

Done.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The sweet spot determines how close your shot is to the predicted white path. If you're not quite perfect, the shot will go to the left or right of that a bit and will not travel the full distance. If you're pretty far off (outside the green "sweet spot" area), the ball will travel like 30 yards and the shot will basically be a complete flub.

Choosing where you hit the ball with the circle pad will alter its course to be lower, higher, hook more or slice more, but generally the ball is meant to land at the same point. It's tough to use this effectively in this game because you can't test out how it will alter your shot path...you just have to hope the hook or slice will get you around an obstacle etc. On a straight shot you can use this to keep the ball lower so it's less affected by wind though.

Topspin or backspin is when you press A or B more times after trying to hit the sweet spot, and it affects how the ball travels after hitting the ground. Generally it will bounce farther and burn a long strip into the ground as it rolls extra distance. Regular backspin usually is a great way to ensure that the ball stays about exactly where you hit it, unless it's a very high shot that comes straight down, in which case it will roll backward a bit.

Easy mode:

Press A to start the meter, press A to set the power. The game randomly chooses how close you get to the sweet spot, but it will generally be pretty close. You cannot apply topspin or backspin. I believe you can use the circle pad to choose where you hit the ball.

Manual mode:

Press A to start the meter, press A to set the power, press A or B to hit the sweet spot. If you use a power shot and get a "perfect," you will preserve that power shot and be able to use it again. When hitting the sweet spot, if you press AA you apply topspin, BB backspin, AB super topspin, BA super backspin. You can also use the circle pad while swinging to choose where you hit the ball.

If you have a hard time remembering which buttons are which spin, just remember that B is for backspin and if you hit two different buttons it's super.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    If you have a hard time remembering which buttons are which spin, just remember that B is for backspin and if you hit two different buttons it's super.
    Wow, that's way better than my shitty method of "having AB ingrained into my muscle memory because I'm a terrible golfer and then screwing it up when I want anything else".

• Options
    I have it set to manual but then I suck at putting

• Options
    Putting is the worst. I've gotten okay at everything else but PUTTING

(I've improved a noticeable amount, though. Mostly I just want to be good enough to hold my own against you guys :P)

• Options
    I asked in the sports thread
    WHen you play againist others you play with your MII? and can you upgrade the characters with clubs or is that just you?

• Options
    For putting, you'll get a feel for it the more you do it, but generally I've found that less left/right adjustment is needed than you might think.

By default, they suggest a putting power that will get you exactly to the hole and no further. I really think this doesn't take into account friction from rolling or something. You can adjust the distance with L and R but mostly I just overshoot where they say to hit it by 10-15%, and it goes right in. It's better to have a little too much power than not enough.
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I asked in the sports thread
    WHen you play againist others you play with your MII? and can you upgrade the characters with clubs or is that just you?

AFAIK you can play against others using any character you want including your Mii, but I don't think you can play with upgraded equipment. That's just a guess though, something they would do for balance reasons.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    So Cave Story showed up on the eShop for us EU/AU people today.
    And so did Etrian Odyssey Untold. Trying to decide if I should buy them both, haha.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So there's this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227397-nintendo-files-portable-game-system-patent-featuring-swappable-d-circlepad-and-buttons

CaqMaKJ.png

and this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227226-snooping-around-nintendo-s-e3-site-reveals-mention-of-new-nintendo-system-update
    UPDATE - Nintendo has since removed this blurb from the source code...

Coming from the source code of Nintendo's E3 site...

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-29%20at%2015_43_28.png

It might not mean anything, or it could mean that they're gonna announce something at E3. Who knows?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Mario Golf World Tour is pretty cool.
    I'm not too good at using the manual shot mode though.

• Options
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Mario Golf World Tour is pretty cool.
    I'm not too good at using the manual shot mode though.

After your initial drive the sweet spot becomes really tiny depending on how rough the area is that you landed in. Personally I think I am going to consider switching to easy when I land in heavy rough.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's a little early for a new handheld - I don't expect it until 2016 or so really.

I do like the idea in that patent, but it runs into the usual optional peripheral pitfalls - everybody would just target one pad, two sticks, four buttons. The diagram is clearly based on the 3DS, but that's irrelevant.

The patent itself is almost certainly preemptive, due to how patent priority and such works - it probably means that they're considering that in R&D, nothing more. Filing the patent means that nobody else can come and patent it in the next few years while they're working stuff out. That it's filed does mean they're probably giving the idea serious consideration, since it costs money, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I like the idea that you could still have it clamshell to protect the screen and also offer nice big actual joysticks as plugins.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's a little early for a new handheld - I don't expect it until 2016 or so really.

I do like the idea in that patent, but it runs into the usual optional peripheral pitfalls - everybody would just target one pad, two sticks, four buttons. The diagram is clearly based on the 3DS, but that's irrelevant.

The patent itself is almost certainly preemptive, due to how patent priority and such works - it probably means that they're considering that in R&D, nothing more. Filing the patent means that nobody else can come and patent it in the next few years while they're working stuff out. That it's filed does mean they're probably giving the idea serious consideration, since it costs money, but...

Yeah, like I said, it might not mean anything. Patents often amount to nothing.

Still, it's something to keep in mind for E3. Also, I'm guessing it would not be a new handheld but rather another 3DS redesign.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I'm severely tempted to grab Harvest Moon A New Beginning, but it's still so expensive.
    It's like $60 on the eShop even.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Amazon is still "preparing to ship". I'll be upset if Golf doesn't arrive tomorrow :(

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Amazon is still "preparing to ship". I'll be upset if Golf doesn't arrive tomorrow :(

If you have it set for release date delivery, Amazon will frequently wait until 11th hour and then ship it with overnight delivery. I'm guessing because they'll get yelled at if they use a longer shipping method and it happens to arrive any earlier than release date, because game companies are puerile about release dates a lot of the time.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I hope so! My 2nd copy for my dad already shipped

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
        It's way too early for something that replaces the 3DS, so I really hope that's not on the menu.

That said, if the next handheld doesn't have two sticks, I am done.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
      • Options
        What if controls are swappable and the sticks are sold separately.

• Options
        Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
        Just as with everything else, it all depends on what's in the baseline system. If it ships with one stick, one pad, we're probably going to end up stuck with that.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
      • Options
        Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
        Shrug, there are like 2 games on the whole console i wish had dual stick controls.

aeNqQM9.jpg
      • Options
        Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
        Maz- wrote: »
        So there's this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227397-nintendo-files-portable-game-system-patent-featuring-swappable-d-circlepad-and-buttons

CaqMaKJ.png

and this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227226-snooping-around-nintendo-s-e3-site-reveals-mention-of-new-nintendo-system-update
        UPDATE - Nintendo has since removed this blurb from the source code...

Coming from the source code of Nintendo's E3 site...

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-29%20at%2015_43_28.png

It might not mean anything, or it could mean that they're gonna announce something at E3. Who knows?

Is it possible that this could be another re-design for the 3DS that essentially eliminates the need for the stupid Circle Pad Pro?

I honestly wouldn't put it past Nintendo.

steam_sig.png
      • Options
        edited May 2014
        Knight_ wrote: »
        Shrug, there are like 2 games on the whole console i wish had dual stick controls.

Yeah actually, this whole "NO STICKS = DEALBREAKER" thing is kind of overblown.

I have like 30+ 3DS games and a couple that use the CPP. In almost all of those games I've never missed it. I've got some 2D platformers, a 3D platformer, some overhead view RPGs and action RPGs, some racing games, a daily life sim, a few puzzle games, a visual novel, a fighting game, some shooters, some first person RPGs...the library is broad and it just hasn't been an issue.

Even with dual sticks I still doubt western devs would give it the time of day, and they're the ones obsessed with FPSs that would be more likely to require them. 3D platformers that need that kind of precise camera control hardly exist anymore, and L and R work fine for rotating the camera in most games like Shin Megami Tensei 4. Mario 3D Land was designed not to need camera control.

I'm not saying I don't want dual sticks, but given the choice between a housing for a stick and enough physical space in the device for 50% increased battery life...seeing how the 3DS has turned out without dual sticks, I'd probably take the battery life.
        Is it possible that this could be another re-design for the 3DS that essentially eliminates the need for the stupid Circle Pad Pro?

What do you mean, the need for it? Which games do you really want to play that you're unable to? What games are in development for 3DS that could use them?

UncleSporky on
      • Options
        edited May 2014
        Knight_ wrote: »

Yeah actually, this whole "NO STICKS = DEALBREAKER" thing is kind of overblown.

I have like 30+ 3DS games and a couple that use the CPP. In almost all of those games I've never missed it. I've got some 2D platformers, a 3D platformer, some overhead view RPGs and action RPGs, some racing games, a daily life sim, a few puzzle games, a visual novel, a fighting game, some shooters, some first person RPGs...the library is broad and it just hasn't been an issue.

Even with dual sticks I still doubt western devs would give it the time of day, and they're the ones obsessed with FPSs that would be more likely to require them. 3D platformers that need that kind of precise camera control hardly exist anymore, and L and R work fine for rotating the camera in most games like Shin Megami Tensei 4. Mario 3D Land was designed not to need camera control.

I'm not saying I don't want dual sticks, but given the choice between a housing for a stick and enough physical space in the device for 50% increased battery life...seeing how the 3DS has turned out without dual sticks, I'd probably take the battery life.

What do you mean, the need for it? Which games do you really want to play that you're unable to? What games are in development for 3DS that could use them?

I just meant in general, for any games that actually need it.

But to answer your question, Kid Icarus. I can't play it with the stylus. People have recommended I get one for Monster Hunter 3 as well but I haven't played it yet to know if it's needed. I'm still trying to finish Rune Factory IV (the game that never ends).

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
        steam_sig.png
      • Options
        vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
        If all you're doing is playing 2D games or turn-based role playing games then no, you won't feel a loss of a right stick.
        If you wish the 3DS could actually handle 3D games well, you'll keep being upset that Nintendo didn't include one.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
        // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
      • Options
        edited May 2014
        Personally, it doesn't bother me... it'd just be a nice option. I'm a product of the 8-bit generation so I'm just happy when I get a controller that is comfortable to the hands and doesn't cause my thumbs to blister from general gaming.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
        steam_sig.png
      • Options
        RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
        edited May 2014
        Jeez Nintendo, lay off the Kirby puzzles already. There are now as many Kirby puzzles as there are Zelda and Metroid puzzles combined.

I can understand no new Metroid puzzles since there hasn't been a new game in years but we didn't even get a puzzle for A Link Between Worlds. Kirby isn't even a B tier franchise as far as I'm concerned.

RidleySaria on
        -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
      • Options
        King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
        edited May 2014
        Jeez Nintendo, lay off the Kirby puzzles already. There are now as many Kirby puzzles as there are Zelda and Metroid puzzles combined.

I can understand no new Metroid puzzles since there hasn't been a new game in years but we didn't even get a puzzle for A Link Between Worlds. Kirby isn't even a B tier franchise as far as I'm concerned.
        Well your concern is largey irrelevant compared to nintendos so . . .yeah.

King Riptor on
        I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
      • Options
        PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

In all honesty, there's Mario... and then there's everything else.

Steam: Polaritie
        3DS: 0473-8507-2652
        Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
        PSN: AbEntropy
      • Options
        skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Well your concern is largey irrelevant compared to nintendos so . . .yeah.

Who doesn't want a little more Kirby in their life?

And with that:

Time to download Kirby and Mario Golf!

Nintendo Console Codes
        Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

Sakurai just keeps sending them files. They've told him to cut it out and focus on Smash Bros. but then the next week they've got a brand new Kirby puzzle sitting in their inbox.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
        3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
        Twitter/Tumblr
      • Options
        RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
        Kid Icarus would have to be vastly re-designed to be playable with a second stick.