As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Hey guys, don't remember who was having a download issue yesterday, but was the symptom super slow downloads and a downloads page that flickers as the download continuously tries to start? If so, did we figure out a fix? Because that's what I've got. :(

I had that for like, one game recently, and then it started behaving itself again, until yesterday when the entire profile and store areas were inaccessible for the better part of 2 hours.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I see that Shadowrun Returns is on sale and am thinking of grabbing it. Is the Deluxe version worth worth an extra $3.40? And how is the Dragonfall DLC?

The base campaign that SR:R comes with is fantastic. It's a great intro to SR if you've never played it, and if you have, it's got lots of great nods to previous games, RPG supplements, etc. The base campaign - Dead Man's Switch - is a bit on-rails, with most of your decision-making revolving around how you solve a particular problem, rather than in selecting which problems to go solve. Combat is turn-based, with shades of X-COM, and a plethora of abilities to play with. Character creation and leveling is free-form, but you can follow one of several archetypes if you don't want to worry about that too much. The writing is top-notch.

With Dragonfall, the team took their writing experience from the first campaign and jacked it up to 11. The storyline is a bit more open-world-ish, with a lot more choice in which missions to undertake, rather than just which approach to use, and the NPCs who can join your party are much more fully-realized. (In the first, the majority of your party members are temporarily-hired mercs with no lines; here, they're actual characters.)

I haven't beaten Dragonfall yet, but I have beaten DMS, and it was absolutely worth the price of admission waaaaaay back when I kickstarted it. SR:R is a great example of what kickstarting can make happen.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm 90% certain that flying islands is in the same category of buzz words as Space. You can use the formula 'X in floating islands' or 'Floating islands Y' to create instant cool idea.

Floating islands in space

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »

SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Well steam just took a dump and not in a socially acceptable place.... Good thing I already have dark souls downloaded....

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

SuperMarioGalaxy.jpg

The formula doesn't guarantee originality, just coolness.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Reminder - contests end tomorrow at 5pm Pacific. Games will go out.....when I manage, because I'm not sure I'll be home at that time any longer. OH WELL :P

Last reminder.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My wife has a night shift tonight so I'm on kid duty. Anyone interested in some multiplayer tonight around 9pm EST? I was thinking Sanctum 2 or Risk of Rain or maybe starting one of the DLC characters for Borderlands 2 but I would be up for any of the games I already have.

I'm actually free tonight! But not until 7 PM PST/10 PM EST.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Played some more Endless Legend last night, and was far more successful.

I figured out that I could just beat minor factions into submission instead of having to unlock parley and then complete bullsh*t quests.

I also figured out how to access special resources and upgrade my hero weapons.

This... I may get sucked into this.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    What. The. Heck.

Common you can't just gift bomb someone for showing a casual...interest...in a game...
    I'm just glad people were talking about Shadowrun to make me check the store page and see the sale. If there's funds in the wallet any excuse to put more copies in peoples hands is welcomed. I've gotta be getting close to 15 copies tossed out at this point, plus a couple Dragonfalls.

To be a bit more thorough about why I love it though Karoz, first and foremost fantastic writing. The dialogue is amazing, plot wise it's a good sorta detective style story that you play through. And they totally nail the tone of Shadowrun. Then there's fun XCOM-light combat with a nice amount of customizability for your character. With the release of Dragonfall they've also cleaned up some of the minor annoyances the base game had when it came out, most notably you can now save anywhere.

I hope you guys like it and definitely give Dragonfall a spin if you do. It steps things up even more, plus I need Harebrained to get lots of money so they'll make more content.

HyphyKezzy has the right of it (and is awesome and classy).

signature.png

signature.png

EDIT: And this is for Ceno's sucky day:

signature.png

EDITx2: And since I seem to be on a 'games I kickstarted' roll already...

signature.png

Still time to get in on these, Folks. Get in there!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    It's not much, but here's a couple of things!

signature.png

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    signature.png

Ending soon for anyone who missed it.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Some nice giveaways going on. You're wearing out my awesome button.
    In other news, I'm kind of bored. Slow day today.

Started up Child of Light. Went with Hard since there seems to be some issues of normal being more of an easy. I'm liking it so far. On Hard you have to pay attention to working the turn order properly.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hmm...I need to rethink my character in Shadowrun. Being a decker is great but running out of medkits and still having 3 guys to fight does not seem like a winning situation.

At least I had a fancy hat.

Karoz on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    This Star Wars bundle is super tempting, even though I already own half the stuff on cds. My question is what's wrong with the Force Unleashed games? I thought most people generally liked them, but they have pretty terrible metascores. As in they would be the lowest scoring things in my library if I got them. Did they just get a terrible port or something? Also, as fantastic as I've heard Republic Commando to be, does it really hold up 10 years later if you are going into it without having played it when it first came out?

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Force Unleashed games are fun, but unpolished. TFU1 recycles a lot of worlds, and made something that should be the most badass moment in the game, a tedious and terrible to control event. TFU2 feels kinda short, and doesn't build much on TFU1. Still, lots of fun, especially when you get maxed out in powers.

IMHO.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    This Star Wars bundle is super tempting, even though I already own half the stuff on cds. My question is what's wrong with the Force Unleashed games? I thought most people generally liked them, but they have pretty terrible metascores. As in they would be the lowest scoring things in my library if I got them. Did they just get a terrible port or something? Also, as fantastic as I've heard Republic Commando to be, does it really hold up 10 years later if you are going into it without having played it when it first came out?

I think opinion of the FU games is generally negative, it's not a port issue. I haven't played them, but from what I remember people complained about fiddly QTEs and unsatisfying combat. I think people said the lightsaber was kind of wiffly?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Also, as fantastic as I've heard Republic Commando to be, does it really hold up 10 years later if you are going into it without having played it when it first came out?

I think so.

A game like Republic Commando is equal parts gameplay and story/atmosphere. The 4:3 resolutions, UE2 graphics, and sometimes clunky squad mechanics can remind you that the game is old from time to time, but there are tons of great "Star Wars" moments, like tearing through Geonosis in the middle of a huge battle, fighting alongside a rampaging wookie, or finding a lightsaber and poking fun at Jedi. That, and the squad banter is pretty great.

The only downsides to Republic Commando are at the very beginning (where you realize how it is a crime that the game doesn't have co-op) and at the very end (where you realize that it is a crime that the game never got a sequel).

Trigger Warning: Cliffhanger Ending.

SmokeStacks on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Chaps. Gamersgate have Saints Row IV on sale for £6.00 (~$10) for the next 16 hours here . It might be Europe only, but you all tell me it's good, so I guess if you want it, now would be the time.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Also, as fantastic as I've heard Republic Commando to be, does it really hold up 10 years later if you are going into it without having played it when it first came out?

I think so.

A game like Republic Commando is equal parts gameplay and story/atmosphere. The 4:3 resolutions, UE2 graphics, and sometimes clunky squad mechanics can remind you that the game is old from time to time, but there are tons of great "Star Wars" moments, like tearing through Geonosis in the middle of a huge battle, fighting alongside a rampaging wookie, or finding a lightsaber and poking fun at Jedi. That, and the squad banter is pretty great.

The only downsides to Republic Commando are at the very beginning (where you realize how it is a crime that the game doesn't have co-op) and at the very end (where you realize that it is a crime that the game never got a sequel).

Trigger Warning: Cliffhanger Ending.

Well, after 21 years, I've finally accepted that the Super Mario Bros. movie isn't building off it's cliffhanger, so I might as well replace it with something else.

steam_sig.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I

I just managed to download something without incident for the first time in like three days

I'm going to try something else

Maybe this long national nightmare is coming to an end

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Guys this is important. Somebody was channeling Maxis hard and is putting out what looks to be a successor to SimFarm.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/277500/

camo_sig2.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I

I just managed to download something without incident for the first time in like three days

I'm going to try something else

Maybe this long national nightmare is coming to an end
    Whoo! Hopefully mine is fixed when I try again tonight as well!

camo_sig2.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Well, after 21 years, I've finally accepted that the Super Mario Bros. movie isn't building off it's cliffhanger, so I might as well replace it with something else.

What Super Mario Bros. movie?

s7Imn5J.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Guys this is important. Somebody was channeling Maxis hard and is putting out what looks to be a successor to SimFarm.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/277500/

Holy crap. That looks so SimCity (originals) it's scary.

I want it immediately

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Chaps. Gamersgate have Saints Row IV on sale for £6.00 (~$10) for the next 16 hours here . It might be Europe only, but you all tell me it's good, so I guess if you want it, now would be the time.

Says £10 ~ $13.50 for me. I guess cause I'm in the US.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Says £10 ~ $13.50 for me. I guess cause I'm in the US.

Exchange rate from pounds to US bucks is about 1 and 2/3s (as in £1 is about $1.67) so that makes sense.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

Contests ENDED!

And the winners are:

@Kristmas Kthulhu, for Dark Souls II, where you will surely die a thousand amazing deaths before feeling like you accomplished anything.

and

@Megaman001, for DayZ, where you will surely die a thousand amazing deaths before feeling like you accomplished anything.

Congrats to you two, and thanks for trying everyone else. Now, go out and buy DayZ so you can die with me!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Fifth anniversary badge? Here's to five more years of steam threads and giftpocalypses. I had some steam funds left over so here's two of my old friends. Ends tonight for G&T family, no contribution needed.

signature.png

signature.png

KoopahTroopah on
    I just took a gander at the Star Wars sale; I have played all of one of the games in the collection, that being KotOR. Apparently I am derelict in my duties as a Star Wars fan . . .

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I just took a gander at the Star Wars sale; I have played all of one of the games in the collection, that being KotOR. Apparently I am derelict in my duties as a Star Wars fan . . .

You are missing out on some seriously awesome gaming if that's the only one you've ever played. :D

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Mind you, if you're only going to play one, that's the one to pick.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

I'm the opposite - I've played most of the old Star Wars games except I've never played my copies of KOTOR/KOTORII

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular

What Super Mario Bros. movie?

It was really cool they had shoes with jets, there was a de-evolution ray, and a gosh darn mushroom saved the day. I think the jerk from one of those zombie movies became a t-freaking-rex or maybe that was yoshi, who knows? Toad does rock out on a guitar though.

steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Just when I thought the Steam thread was a safe place where I could go to not be reminded of Bob Hoskins' recent death, you guys have to go and bring up Super Mario Bros.

oww my emotions

Elvenshae wrote: »

You are missing out on some seriously awesome gaming if that's the only one you've ever played. :D

I'm just a poor boy from a poor family.
    :D
    Jazz wrote: »

Well, I'm glad I hit the good one, then.

I'm the opposite - I've played most of the old Star Wars games except I've never played my copies of KOTOR/KOTORII

When most of these came out I did not have a computer capable of running them. Hell, the computer I had was capable of running Word, slowly.

Also, I was mostly console focused. ;)

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Just when I thought the Steam thread was a safe place where I could go to not be reminded of Bob Hoskins' recent death, you guys have to go and bring up Super Mario Bros.

oww my emotions

Bro...

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I'm more of the KotOR II camp... and Republic Commando is quite the trip, too.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.