As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    if i've never played any version of fft what should i go with

war of the lions?

You should play the 1.3 rebalance patch

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    the FFT series is the only line of Final Fantasy games I've enjoyed, take that as you will.

Also it has some of my most favorite video game music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnY3-njo2g0

This one track I liked enough to do a mario paint of, one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDpk6ZHU_A

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    alright i'm gonna turn it on and sit in training mode for a little bit, if you wanna Fight Me iso, I think I have you on GFWL so just log on

twitch.tv/huntera_pa

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Just finishing up last week's UPF and this happened:

Pu7o4Xw.png

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Looking through the 1.3 source it looks like this is a repository for hardmode patches to games?

Seems unwise to create a hardmode Super Mario RPG hack

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    a lot of people hate Aerie, but I think she's great

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of her voice acting

But then I'm not a fan of anyone's voice acting in that game

• Options
    what

• Options
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Jeff is flaunting some gams at the intro of this UPF.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I am so tempted to replay BG2.

Especially since I never did manage to beat it.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    my favorite line is some throw away line from the playhouse

"baffled! it is baffled!"

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    alright that was boring as hell, but I think i'm gonna stream online ranked stuff more often

I need to keep cooler and think through stuff like "What the hell why did I lose" and doing that to an audience might get me to do it more often than I do because honestly 90% of the time I just rush back in and get frustrated and I need to break that habit before I do this in front of live people like I plan on doing at evo

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with Bravely Default right now is that it's really really dark. I was expecting something tonally similar to the like FF5 or something. Instead the plot has been pretty bleak and the only "comedy" has been Ringabel being a tremendous shit lord.

Inquisitor don't read unless you've finished the Water Crystal
    Like, In the summoner sidequest two little girls (age 8-12) straight up kill each other over a hair ornament.

Or the super sexist Red Mage and his creepy ass mind control slave dungeon. That they apparently toned that scene down for the NA version makes me really worried about what it was in the JP version.

It all just feels like it's trying really hard to be "edgy" and it's just super grating.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Jeff not being knowledgeable on the how to of Piccolo Pete bombs is actually a little shocking.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    these spider man faces should be burned to the ground

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of her voice acting

But then I'm not a fan of anyone's voice acting in that game

I wish I could just turn the voices off. I am not sure why the game has voice acting. This style of RPG seems meant to be read to me.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    would buy

6jpgM.jpg

Xehalus on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    turtleant wrote: »
    My biggest problem with Bravely Default right now is that it's really really dark. I was expecting something tonally similar to the like FF5 or something. Instead the plot has been pretty bleak and the only "comedy" has been Ringabel being a tremendous shit lord.

Inquisitor don't read unless you've finished the Water Crystal
    Like, In the summoner sidequest two little girls (age 8-12) straight up kill each other over a hair ornament.

Or the super sexist Red Mage and his creepy ass mind control slave dungeon. That they apparently toned that scene down for the NA version makes me really worried about what it was in the JP version.

It all just feels like it's trying really hard to be "edgy" and it's just super grating.

The scene is the same, Edea's outfit is just less gross.

But yeah that game is fucked up tonally. It makes significant improvements from Chapter 6, but til that point I was pretty down on the writing (and I consider Chapter 5 to be the low point).

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I... I liked Bravely Default's story mostly...

Talkin' bout Chapter 2
    Chapter two throws it real dark compared to the rest of the game. Most of the other chapters there's some redeeming element at the end. In chapter one for instance: the king is disposed, capitalism is smashed, and the kingdom is a mostly better place as you're leaving.

Chapter 2? All of the side quests end with you showing up too late. The girls have already killed each other. The animals are already pushed to near extinction. The faithful have already been exterminated or exiled. The culture of Florem seems to have irrevocably changed from (presumably) being something wholesome to pure vanity. You defeat everyone who is responsible for these things but the damage is done and nothing gets... better. You know?

I think Chapter 2 was trying to be the "dark middle chapter". I don't really know what I think of it. It was successful in making me despair for the fate of those involved. I even felt bad killing the Venus Sisters because they were essentially drugged to the point of losing their judgement?

I felt real bad about that chapter as I was leaving it but looking back I sort of appreciate it strangely.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What is even up with that new Call of Duty

It's actually Haze 2

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Finally

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh god, this Rogue FPS quicklook sold me on the game so hard.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    There is some stellar voice acting in Baldur's Gate what on earth are you guys talking about

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Even if you're down with the art in BD theres plenty to dislike

Like all the character work

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey.

A fifty dollar lottery ticket!

• Options
    There's a lot to like too though

Really great combat and music

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey.

Time to buy $50 worth of lottery tickets now!

There's no way this could backfire!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey.

Time to buy $50 worth of lottery tickets now!

There's no way this could backfire!

Naw I quit while I'm ahead.

It was a 2 dollar ticket afterall

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    z8y9znl3y3axgw3altlq.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    z8y9znl3y3axgw3altlq.png

Euch, all that unreal specular mapping makes everything look so wet.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    So who was it who hated boss fights?

I just got to the Skeleton Lords in DS2 and that was a very non-traditional "boss" fights, 3 casters and a bunch of mobs, killing each of them took health away from the bar

It actually felt like how you'd design a big encounter in D&D

There should be more stuff like that, every boss fight doesn't need to be one super powerful enemy

• Options
    edited May 2014
    It may have been me?

In general I feel like boss fights are shoe horned into games that don't really need them (DX:HR being the most blatant example). If they are well done they are of course nice to play. A lot of games just seem to force bad boss fights because they think games need bosses.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Actually I believe it was @Grey Ghost

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Personal pet peeve is when a strategy game, especially a turn based one, decides it needs a boss fight against 1 big guy. It is almost always clunky and awkward and sans strategy. Or even worse when it gives you a 1v1 boss fight. Just no!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I think boss fights have a place in games, it's just that they need to pair up the right sort of fights for the right sort of game.

Deus Ex:HR is a bad example of this, sadly, but the original Deus Ex is a fantastic example.

Since it's on my mind, I think the boss fights of the Baldur's Gate games are also great examples.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I... I liked Bravely Default's story mostly...

Talkin' bout Chapter 2
    Chapter two throws it real dark compared to the rest of the game. Most of the other chapters there's some redeeming element at the end. In chapter one for instance: the king is disposed, capitalism is smashed, and the kingdom is a mostly better place as you're leaving.

Chapter 2? All of the side quests end with you showing up too late. The girls have already killed each other. The animals are already pushed to near extinction. The faithful have already been exterminated or exiled. The culture of Florem seems to have irrevocably changed from (presumably) being something wholesome to pure vanity. You defeat everyone who is responsible for these things but the damage is done and nothing gets... better. You know?

I think Chapter 2 was trying to be the "dark middle chapter". I don't really know what I think of it. It was successful in making me despair for the fate of those involved. I even felt bad killing the Venus Sisters because they were essentially drugged to the point of losing their judgement?

I felt real bad about that chapter as I was leaving it but looking back I sort of appreciate it strangely.

Sage Yulyana crackin' wise 'bout the Bravo Bikini in the dark middle chapter :rotate: Personally I'm not too fond of when writers try and have it both ways.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Went to a free play arcade last night. $15 for all you can play arcade games. The store claims they have 200, I bet that's about right. Almost half were pinball though. Some great stuff though: Pac-Man Vs., Ivan Stewart's Super Off-road, driving games, shooting games, beat em ups, NBA Jam. It was great.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I am working on a game that is 100% boss fights.

Do they even count as bosses at that point?

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.