As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: Shattered Hope

• TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Holy crap this thread exists!?

Anyways, I am still interested but will be able to commit/uncommit based on the day(s) of choosing because of school and other RP stuff I'm doing as well.

More info please?

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, this is a play by post arrangement, duew to the fact that people are distributed over many different time zones. Currently all the pre-gen characters are taken. It seems that the plan is to run through shattered hope, then expand into a wider campaign with more players introduced then.

Talkign about this, are people about ready to start? If so I'll start up an IC thread. Be warned, I will be changing some stuff from the adventure because I think it is silly

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    Well, this is a play by post arrangement, duew to the fact that people are distributed over many different time zones. Currently all the pre-gen characters are taken. It seems that the plan is to run through shattered hope, then expand into a wider campaign with more players introduced then.

Talkign about this, are people about ready to start? If so I'll start up an IC thread. Be warned, I will be changing some stuff from the adventure because I think it is silly

:^:

I don't know anything about the adventure anyway so I won't notice. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm ready to go. Can this adventure take place long enough after Ishamel has been inducted into the retinue that his belongings include a pair of _unstained_ coveralls?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm ready to go. Can this adventure take place long enough after Ishamel has been inducted into the retinue that his belongings include a pair of _unstained_ coveralls?

I second this. Then again, were I an Inquisitor I would enforce a dress code among all my disciples to consist of black & dark red robes and coats with lots of skull and =I= emblems.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    I would say that it is entirely up to the players to decide what they are wearing. I'm sure, being inquisitorial Henchmen and all, that they can wear what they want, within reason.

Asher on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jester313 wrote: »
    Ok, gotcha. Does that get frustrating at all? Constantly failing?

The 2d10+20 roll is only to determine your starting Weapon Skill (WS) stat. Aiming adds +10%, as does charging. Some talents give +5-10%, and each time you train your WS with experience it goes up by +5% permanently. You are limited to the number of times you can train this stat based on your career, with noob "fighter"-type careers granting up to +10% and uber careers granting up to +40%.

So if you are an average human (31%) soldier and raise your WS to max, it becomes 41%. Take the "Ready Weapon" action before smacking your opponent, and now you have a 51% chance to hit. This uses a relatively low level character with non-magical gear and no other favorable modifiers (like surprise or higher ground or your opponent crapping himself in terror because his master botched a casting roll and accidentally summoned a Changer of Ways and got ated).

Change this to a trollslayer, and all sorts of bad things start happening.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2007
    I would say that it is entirely up to the players to decide what they are wearing. I'm sure, being inquisitorial Henchmen and all, that they can wear what they want, within reason.

Cimbria is totally wearing that awesome black robe + flak vest outfit as described in her character entry. :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    I think that Ishmael kind of got the short stick fashion wise.
    Anyway, I think that I'll start putting together a First IC post. It will include your mission briefing in form of a communique from your master. I'll leave a while for people to just roleplay and realise that the game has started before getting to the action. If someone who has signed up doesn't' post in the first, say 48 hours, I'll look at replacing them with someone else who expressed interest.

All questions, mechanic discussions etc will still go here.

EDIT: Ok, Ive finished writing an opening. All I have to do now is make it look pretty and post it. Finiding the right stuff to pretty it may take a while though.

Right. Ive decided to Make the IC thread when I get up tomorrow morning (its 7 Pm in AUS right now), so in about 13-14 hours the game will start. There will be a bit of time to just get into character and Roleplay before the action starts. I suggest a 48 hour period. Anyone who has not posted during that time will be replaced by some other willing soul. Any suggestions, commentsm, threats etc. can go here. Are we ready?

Asher on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds good, though how are you thinking of running the fighting - presumably we engage and then you'll give us a summary of what happened afterwards rather than going turn by turn in posts?

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    If we could make that work, then yes. As it is, You guys have enough info to roll to hit, roll to damage, and roll Critical. I'm concidering posting a version of the Critical table, so you guys can do that. Thus, you attack, and know the whole outcome, and can incorporate that into your post. I will post stats for the various baddies you encounter, or at least HP tallies, for ease of combat.
    I suppose that this will undergo a trial by fire to see if it actually works.

Asher on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to run this today and I have a short question. What is a Lho stick?

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    edited September 2007
    Basically a Cigarette. Officio medicae warns that they may cause Illness and Lung Damage.

Asher on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guys, you have something to look forward too. I initally didn't like the concept but it really is a quite neat little adventure.
    Just prepare to feel really expendeble. :)
    WH40K RPG really do rock, even for people who know nothing of the world. To bad our roleplaying schedule is to tigth as it is. :(

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    edited September 2007
    Ok People. By the time you read this, the IC thread should be up. Go nuts!

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Ok People. By the time you read this, the IC thread should be up. Go nuts!

false

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    Boo. Im formatting all nicely right now!

Asher on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just something I realized about Ishmael's character sheet, can I swap navigation - surface for navigation-hive? Given that he's spent his entire life in one, it seems that he would be fairly at home in cramped and twisting tunnels. A mine certanily wouldn't be the same, but it's not too far removed from what he's used to.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    I'd say thats fair. However, due to the fact that mines are a somewhat different environment to hive tunnels, he won't get the full benefit.

Asher on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think Navigation - Surface is supposed to represent navigation on a PLANETARY surface, whereas the other specialties are most likely Navigation - Space and Navigation - Warp.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2007
    Ok, Everyones posted thats good. Dauber will get the stuff you requested and add it to the storage lockers in the lander. If you wish to find out more about your mission you can read the datavault.

Asher on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure anyone knows whose turn it's supposed to be.

Also, I'm starting a drinking game involving any time a character says something *way* out of the range of knowledge for Guardsmen or new Inquisitorial henchmen.

Not saying anyone has, mind you; but if we start having conversations about Chaos gods and the Eldar... You know, I'll be keeping tabs, under impaired judgment.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    Yeah - tried to avoid complete cluelessness by going from the point of a feral worlder technophile, so like a medieval peasant who has brought themselves up to speed on 21st century life by watching Star trek and Dynasty. I.e still completely clueless, but not game breakingly so.

Poke me if I get it wrong though

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Ok, Currently there is no "Turn" as such. I dont think I actually specified this but rather assuemd that people would know. The way Iprefer to run RPGs is not really go for turns anless in combat or in if the party has split up. In this case, you are all on the ship, no one is in danger, so you can jsut go about your business without worrying whos turn is next. Once combat starts, everyone will roll for initiative and THEN turns will start.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    I'll suggest off the bat that the Codexes are a good collection of information that people should *not* know, Imperial Guard being an exclusion as far as I recall. Certainly plenty of stuff in there that would get you killed, or mind-scrubbed, and some Chaos and Eldar stuff that only a couple of Inquisitors even know about.

Your typical Imperial citizen/guardsman/servant's knowledge of aliens, mutants, psykers, and daemons could be summed up entirely by spaceport rumors and chapel murals. I'd imagine though that Inquisitor Zerbe would divulge some basic revelations on man's enemies to his acolytes in the first few weeks; enough to dispel false assumptions or mythological notions. But otherwise the vast bulk of Imperial culture in the 41st millennium is analogous to the middle ages. People are severely unenlightened, superstitious, without a serious notion of worldly happiness, and entirely at the whim of vast institutions.

I wouldn't exactly compare it to any of the last couple of centuries, unless we're talking about technology.

The henchmen do seem to be of a fairly typical Imperial nature, as nobody has any questionably special talents or radical beliefs. The Inquisitor appears to have chosen them based on their overall sense of duty and/or initiative. There isn't an overwhelming sense of zeal or fanaticism in anyone's dutifulness, on the other hand, so we're not dealing with the far end of radicalism one would find in the Ministorum or prominent witchhunters, either. Mir would likely be the most ignorant and superstitious of the group, and Ishmael may well have been exposed to a different range of hear-say on a hive world, but otherwise I'd say they wouldn't stray far from the norm of knowledge or culture.

The only specific comment I'd make for now is that I'm rather surprised to see Xanthia being played by the 'seductress' angle. I personally had a couple takes on her, but none of them were on that end of the spectrum. Might be interesting to see how this develops and expands.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    Err, what's the datavault?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    In the message the Inquisitor sent you there is an attachment that contains addition Information, if you wish to access it.

Asher on
    edited September 2007
    Ah, okay. I thought you were referring to something in the pdf, but I couldn't find anything in the player friendly part of the file. IC, Ishmael would've read it when he received it, so if you could pass it on so that I know what he knows, I'd appreciate it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    The only specific comment I'd make for now is that I'm rather surprised to see Xanthia being played by the 'seductress' angle. I personally had a couple takes on her, but none of them were on that end of the spectrum. Might be interesting to see how this develops and expands.

Originally I didn't think so either, but after a bit of thought it seemed the obvious way she would have got herself noticed back on the medieval world (partly me misreading they way she killed the lord), plus it says she wears black leathers to enchance and show off her physique. I'll try to steer away from the traditional 'seductruss angle', but I think it does sort of work well with someone who is try to reinvent herself after being a peasant.

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

Originally I didn't think so either, but after a bit of thought it seemed the obvious way she would have got herself noticed back on the medieval world (partly me misreading they way she killed the lord), plus it says she wears black leathers to enchance and show off her physique. I'll try to steer away from the traditional 'seductruss angle', but I think it does sort of work well with someone who is try to reinvent herself after being a peasant.

What's the Inquisitor religion thing got to say about sex

We're gonna have to kill you for acting an abomination sir

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    The more the merrier! How else are you going to produce new soldiers for the Glorious Empire of Man!

Tastyfish on
    edited September 2007
    Do you finish up by saying, 'By Slaneesh, that was good!"

No?

Then you're golden.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    The more the merrier! How else are you going to produce new soldiers for the Glorious Empire of Man!

but you're an inquisitor, not a babymachine

HERETIC

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2007
    If you are not making soldiers for the Emperor, you are making sin.

Let's drill holes in the side of her skull until she stops desiring to sin.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    Well, there is a vital need for new soldiers of the imperium . . .
    Also, you guys are nowhere NEAR inquisitors yet. Infact you aren't even proper Acolytes. Henchmen I believe is the correct term.

Asher on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How's everyone liking my Mir so far? I won't lie, Bill King's Space Wolf trilogy is proving immensely helpful (as is the Space Wolf Codex) for getting into the character's head. I'm trying to do the veteran soldier angle whilst still keeping a lot of Feral inconsistencies (like how uneasy he is on ships, the way he looks through his equipment, etc.).

LibrarianThorne on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Do you finish up by saying, 'By Slaneesh, that was good!"

No?

Then you're golden.

This needs to be sigged simply for comedy value, also, when Dark Heresy is released I will attempt to be a player in any campaigns.

minigunwielder on
    edited September 2007

This needs to be sigged simply for comedy value, also, when Dark Heresy is released I will attempt to be a player in any campaigns.

'Comedy value'? Gabriel is attempting to deceive us with heresy on a sweetened serpent's tongue! Well, we have ways of cleansing the sin from such appendages...

Somebody bring me a big red bar of Life Buoy soap.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited September 2007
    Ok everybody, apology time. I will be away for the next four days with no access to a computer. The plot will continue once I get back. In the mean time, I suggest that maybe you guys just do some Roleplaying and let the Acolytes talk among themselves. So yeah, I apologise for the inconvenience. Purging of heretics will resume when I get back.

Asher on
    edited October 2007
    One thing nagging at me, what was the guy doing when he 'half-raised his gun?" Like, 'oh good, the Inquisitor is here. When I go to greet them, I'd better make sure they think I'm about to shoot them." Or was he trying to come to attention?

Gabriel_Pitt on