As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    My phone continues to have shut off and blank screen issues but its still better than waiting for the Verizon approved update a year from now.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I should be getting a Lumia 925 sometime this week (maybe as early as tomorrow), running on T-Mobiles HSPA-whatever quad-band network, which is apparently about as prevalent as their H+ 4G LTE (and about the same speed). It's a pretty big step up from my 2010 Dell Venue Pro, even if it doesn't have a keyboard (which are less common than UFO sightings, I'd wager). Hopefully it's everything I expect it to be.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I wasn't too disappointed about losing the physical keyboard from my old HTC Arrive when I moved to the 920 (just because everything else was such a massive upgrade), but the software keyboard on WP8.1 is unquestionably the best soft keyboard I've ever used.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm with you there. The only thing I have to get used to is not being able to press space twice for a period, but that may be different on a phone.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    There's an option to make two spaces make a period in the keyboard settings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I'll have to look into that.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried 8.1 on a Lumia 1020? I have the app, like, RIGHT THERE, waiting to activate and get 8.1. But I'm worried I would invalidate the warranty on it.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    1520's been fine so far. slightly less battery life, but much better experience

• Options
    As far as I'm aware, the only handsets that've had trouble with the update are certain carrier versions of the Samsung ATIV SE.

My battery life is basically the same once I got over the first week of playing with it a whole bunch more to get used to the new features. Agreed that the experience is way better.

• Options
    My battery life is the same, but the update reset most of my settings to be less battery friendly (like all my email settings are active sync now) so it must be better.

• Options
    My Lumia 925 came in on Friday (a Hong Kong model, thankfully I have spare chargers), and I pleased to say that it's a beautiful piece of hardware with a lovely screen. Nokia's own drive navigation app, DRIVE+ Beta, is fantastic (and free).

Sorted my small music collection is also a pain in the ass, but seems easiest done by Windows Media Player (a step back from the old Zune program) and MPATool to fill in some gaps (apparently, that app is not supported by WP 8.1, whenever that drops). I need to test out the camera, but what I've seen so far is pleasing, and the digitizer is much better than on my old Venue Pro.

I don't have any wireless charging system at the moment, but I might get one in the future (frankly, the phone itself was expensive enough).

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    My Lumia 925 came in on Friday (a Hong Kong model, thankfully I have spare chargers), and I pleased to say that it's a beautiful piece of hardware with a lovely screen. Nokia's own drive navigation app, DRIVE+ Beta, is fantastic (and free).

Sorted my small music collection is also a pain in the ass, but seems easiest done by Windows Media Player (a step back from the old Zune program) and MPATool to fill in some gaps (apparently, that app is not supported by WP 8.1, whenever that drops). I need to test out the camera, but what I've seen so far is pleasing, and the digitizer is much better than on my old Venue Pro.

I don't have any wireless charging system at the moment, but I might get one in the future (frankly, the phone itself was expensive enough).

The wireless charging system is cool, but it takes about 3 times as long to charge compared to USB and heats up the phone quite a lot. What is impressive is that there are a load of people who have modded the wiring in the charge plates so that it conducts through tables and you effectively have a table that charges your phone. So if you are in for a bit of DIY...

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

The wireless charging system is cool, but it takes about 3 times as long to charge compared to USB and heats up the phone quite a lot. What is impressive is that there are a load of people who have modded the wiring in the charge plates so that it conducts through tables and you effectively have a table that charges your phone. So if you are in for a bit of DIY...

As interesting as turning my whole bedstand into a fire risk sounds...the USB charging is already kind of slow compared to my Venue Pro. Guess I can skip the trouble and expense.

• Options

As interesting as turning my whole bedstand into a fire risk sounds...the USB charging is already kind of slow compared to my Venue Pro. Guess I can skip the trouble and expense.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6kIgxIF1gd8

Actually its pretty safe and easy just need to have the table surface only a few cm away from the plate. The total charge time using the plate is 4 hours by the way.

• Options
    It looks cool, but the convenience of being able to put over a wider area doesn't seem to outweigh the trouble of having to carve up a bedstand (and thereafter being committed to using that surface). But I'm not really handy, nor do I have a lot of furniture to chop up.

Plus, the charge time is already slow. Considering the charge cover already costs at least $50....

• Options
    It looks cool, but the convenience of being able to put over a wider area doesn't seem to outweigh the trouble of having to carve up a bedstand (and thereafter being committed to using that surface). But I'm not really handy, nor do I have a lot of furniture to chop up.

Plus, the charge time is already slow. Considering the charge cover already costs at least $50....

I sorta agree on the charge time, while mine was fun to use it was also free as a reward redemption when I got the 920. I wouldn't have paid the money for it otherwise.

• Options
    I used mine a lot, but then it stopped working. Not sure if the phone's wireless charging parts failed or the plate did. Not a huge deal, just kind of inconvenient.

• Options
    Considering the cost of both the charge device and the cover, I'd be pissed as hell.

I sorta agree on the charge time, while mine was fun to use it was also free as a reward redemption when I got the 920. I wouldn't have paid the money for it otherwise.

Sadly, wireless charging turns this from a $350 phone (already steep) to close to a $450 phone (ridiculously so). I'm still looking at inexpensive protective covers.

• Options
    I have a 920, so I didn't pay any extra for wireless charging. Also, ATT gave me the charging plate for free as a promo, so I didn't pay anything for that either.

• Options
    Considering the cost of both the charge device and the cover, I'd be pissed as hell.

Sadly, wireless charging turns this from a $350 phone (already steep) to close to a $450 phone (ridiculously so). I'm still looking at inexpensive protective covers.

I know im in the UK but I know a few places that were selling off the 925 charging case cheap so if in the future you are after one just let me know and i'll hunt one down for you :)

Today I was looking at a few phones and saw the 1520 handset, very beautiful handset and makes me excited to see what this years replacement to the 1520 will bring.

• Options

I know im in the UK but I know a few places that were selling off the 925 charging case cheap so if in the future you are after one just let me know and i'll hunt one down for you :)

Today I was looking at a few phones and saw the 1520 handset, very beautiful handset and makes me excited to see what this years replacement to the 1520 will bring.

I make take you up on that. In the meantime, I'm not so lucky to get free promotionals :smile: , so yes, here in the US it's pretty much a $100 venture (or a little less if you get a deal on the charging unit).

I've seen the 1520 advertised around--much more than I'd expect, I suppose because of its monster size. It's a beast, but I still wish I could see the screen in action (as oppose to just a dummy model).

• Options
    edited May 2014
    EDIT: Gah, freaking license changes. It's one thing for Microsoft to lose the license to a song, but to change the name and invalidate the old license...real nice.

But, otherwise, my Lumia 925 is awesome. It still needs music software at least as good as WP7 had three years ago, but it does many other things better. Nokia Drive is fantastic, integration with other accounts is excellent. And 8.1 looks very promising.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm downloading it now. Hopefully it fixes my powering-off issue.

• Options
    Anyone know if there's a detailed changelog for the update? I've not been able to find one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm holding off on the previews....in part since MPATool isn't Windows 8.1 compatible yet. Which wouldn't be an issue if Microsoft brought Xbox Music up to Zune levels. :neutral_face:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    no detailed changelog that i've found

• Options
    I'm holding off on the previews....in part since MPATool isn't Windows 8.1 compatible yet. Which wouldn't be an issue if Microsoft brought Xbox Music up to Zune levels. :neutral_face:
    There's an app in the store that lets you make a tile that launches the old music hub app. But yeah, making Xbox Music not terrible would be the preferred solution.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's an app in the store that lets you make a tile that launches the old music hub app. But yeah, making Xbox Music not terrible would be the preferred solution.

Really disappointing they went with the Android solution ("Gotta be able to plug this phone into anything and upload."), though that was the general trend.

You can also use iTunes, but seeing how I own a Windows Phone, I most likely use a Windows PC for music syncing (or, you know, I'm part of the almost 90% of the world who uses Windows anyway), and last time I used it, iTunes still kind of sucked on Windows.

What app did you mean anyway? The music hub itself is basically the same on WP8 (even with Xbox Music), it's the dearth of information and the different syncing options that are disappointing.

• Options
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/music-hub-tile/3faa2f9e-6b8d-440a-bb60-5dd76a5baec1

Sorry, I meant to come back to give out a link to it since it wasn't convenient for me to get a link at the time. It'll give you a tile on your start screen that launches the old music hub with actual working tag reading. I certainly miss my wireless Zune syncing and would like that back too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I think that's intended for WP8.1 (I guess it changes it from WP8). Given that I've bent over backwards tagging all my music so it shows up properly now, if 8.1 changes that, I'll probably need to resort to that app as well.

EDIT: Perhaps ironically, I've decided I like my Lumia 925 enough that it deserves to have a case. And with that, I've become more open minded to the concept of buying Nokia's official charge cover, and then some sort of Qi pad. None of them grab me (they all seem to be kind of, well, unimpressive), so I might just buy the Nokia one or the cheapest one I can get.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    has anyone used opera on a windows phone? it was the only other browser i recognized that was available. after the recent IE security issues (and really having a difficult time identifying exactly what version was on my phone) i went looking for other options again. although as far as i could tell my phone was unaffected, i wasn't positive and i still don't like the idea of having a closed ecosystem as my only security.

• Options
    Uh... Opera is not available on Windows Phone...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've heard, repeatedly, that IE on Windows Phone (when updated, so WP8) is substantially more secure that iOS's current version of Safari--but that has less to do with Safari's design and more by the fact that the iPhone is getting constantly hammered for breeches via browsing (the most obvious path) and Apple dragged their feet for a very long time on the matter (same for iPad). I couldn't say for Chrome on iOS, since I haven't looked into it (and I honestly don't know anyone who uses Chrome on their iPhones).

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Chrome is really difficult to like for iOS as it reloads pages when switching between tabs like mad.

• Options
    on all three phone operating systems i'd take the default browser over any other options

• Options
    Speaking of which, what do people use to sync music with their phones?

I'm stuck with Windows Media Player (which I was actually using as a convenient, if not versatile, video player courtesy of CCCP). It's slow and tedious compared to Zune, but oh well. Xbox Music on Windows 8 seems quicker, but much more limited in its sorting options (unless I'm missing options).

• Options

I'm stuck with Windows Media Player (which I was actually using as a convenient, if not versatile, video player courtesy of CCCP). It's slow and tedious compared to Zune, but oh well. Xbox Music on Windows 8 seems quicker, but much more limited in its sorting options (unless I'm missing options).

On a Mac, theres a separate official app to sync music on the phone. It's essentially a lite version of iTunes. At first there were a few bugs that made it difficult to work but now It's pretty quick and awesome.

• Options

On a Mac, theres a separate official app to sync music on the phone. It's essentially a lite version of iTunes. At first there were a few bugs that made it difficult to work but now It's pretty quick and awesome.

I see, could you elaborate? I don't own a Mac, but nowadays, pretty much everything is available in one form or another on PC. Do you mean the official Windows Phone software (the one they give to non-Windows 8 users), or is this something related to iTunes?

The official Windows Phone software did not impress me in the least--it seemed to have practically no music tagging options, but it is possible I didn't get it its fair chance. I did notice that it works in such a manner that it can only sync with one PC, but that is how the Zune software worked, and that limitation made it great for music organization.

• Options

I see, could you elaborate? I don't own a Mac, but nowadays, pretty much everything is available in one form or another on PC. Do you mean the official Windows Phone software (the one they give to non-Windows 8 users), or is this something related to iTunes?

The official Windows Phone software did not impress me in the least--it seemed to have practically no music tagging options, but it is possible I didn't get it its fair chance. I did notice that it works in such a manner that it can only sync with one PC, but that is how the Zune software worked, and that limitation made it great for music organization.

Theres an official Windows Phone App on the Mac store. It pretty much the first app that acts as an itunes client that only syncs with music without loading the whole player and store, something mac users have been asking for ages.

It works pretty well though basic considering it manages to sync itunes music easily with a windows phone is a great feature. Movies still seemed to be locked down to Apple devices though.

I dunno if its the same as the official windows app but it might be worth a try for you?