As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bill Murray: A [chat] Biography

LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Bill Murray
009_Where_The_Buffalo_Roam.jpg

Biography

Date of Birth 21 September 1950 , Wilmette, Illinois, USA
Birth Name William James Murray
Bill Murray
Nicknames Billy
The Murricane
Height 6' 2" (1.88 m)
Mini Bio (1)

Bill is the fifth of nine children born to Edward and Lucille Murray. He and most of his siblings worked as caddies, which paid his tuition to Loyola Academy, a Jesuit school. He played sports and did some acting while in that school, but in his words, mostly "screwed off." He enrolled at Regis College in Denver to study pre-med but dropped out after being arrested for marijuana possession. He then joined the National Lampoon Radio Hour with fellow members Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi. However, while those three became the original members of Saturday Night Live (1975), he joined Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell (1975), which premiered that same year. After that show failed, he later got the opportunity to join Saturday Night Live (1975).

- IMDb Mini Biography By: John Sacksteder <jsack@ka.net>
Spouse (2)
Jennifer Butler (4 July 1997 - 13 June 2008) (divorced) (4 children)
Mickey Kelley (25 January 1981 - 29 January 1994) (divorced) (2 children)
Trade Mark (6)
Deadpan expression
During the later years of his career, he frequently plays depressed characters (Lost in Translation (2003), Broken Flowers (2005), The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004), Rushmore (1998) , The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)).
During the early years of his career, he frequently played loud, sarcastic, often rude and mean, anti-heroes (Meatballs (1979), Stripes (1981), Caddyshack (1980), the two Ghostbusters movies, Groundhog Day (1993)).
Soft mellow voice
Often works with directors Ivan Reitman and Wes Anderson.
Often plays bitter, misanthropic cynics who suffer humiliation and failure.
Trivia (68)
Accidentally broke Robert De Niro's nose during the filming of Mad Dog and Glory (1993).
Ranked #82 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]
1997 Recipient of the Sons of the Desert Annual Comedy Performer Award on April 19th, 1997.
Appeared in Scrooged (1988) with three of his brothers.
Father, with Mickey Kelley, of sons Homer Murray (b. 1982) and Luke Murray (b. 1985).
Father, with Jennifer Butler, of sons: Caleb James Murray (born January 11, 1993), Jackson William Murray (born October 6, 1995), Cooper Jones Murray (born January 27, 1997) and Lincoln Darius Murray (born May 30, 2001).
He owns a minor league baseball team in Charleston, SC, called the Riverdogs.
Related through marriage to guitar player, lyricist and singer Chris Luxem.
Set to become part-owner of his third minor league baseball team, the new Brockton Rox, in Mass., with friend Van Schley.
Has become the unofficial patron saint of the forums of the Football Manager website, home to one of the biggest selling PC games of all time.
He is part of The Goldklang Group that includes Van Schley, baseball marketing guru Mike Veeck, and Saturday Night Live (1975) comedian Jimmy Fallon. The group owns minor league baseball teams the St. Paul Saints and the Brockton Rox of the Northern League, the Charleston RiverDogs, the Fort Myers Miracle, the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Evansville Otters and they run the Portland Beavers.
Was bitten by the groundhog twice on the Groundhog Day (1993) set in 1992.
He is a diehard Chicago Cubs fan. During the Cubs playoff run in 2003, he was on location in Italy, but he had it written into his contract that he'd get a satellite feed of the playoffs.
His role in Ghostbusters (1984) was originally intended for fellow SNL star John Belushi.
Shares two characters with the late Lorenzo Music. He played Peter Venkman in the film Ghostbusters (1984), while Lorenzo played Venkman in the animated series, The Real Ghost Busters (1986). Lorenzo was also the voice of Garfield in numerous cartoons, while Bill provides Garfield's voice in Garfield (2004).
He was rated number 1 in Comedy Central's newest show 'Mouthing Off: 51 Greatest Smartasses.'
His home is in upstate New York, although he is more frequently working elsewhere during the year.
Performed the vocals for the song "The Best Thing" in the John Waters film Polyester (1981).
His father Edward was a lumber salesman. He died in 1967.
Siblings include Brian Doyle-Murray, Nancy, Edward, Andy, John Murray, Joel Murray, Peggy, and Laura.
Attended Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois.
Attended Regis College in Denver. He dropped out his sophomore year.
His mother died in 1988.
Doesn't have a publicist.
His sister Nancy is a Dominican nun.
In 2001, he starred with Sigourney Weaver in an Off-Off-Broadway play called "The Guys," in which he played a fire captain who lost eight of his men on 9/11. In the movie version, Murray's role was played by Anthony LaPaglia.
Is an avid golfer and has appeared at many pro-am golf tournaments.
Co-owner, with brothers Brian, Joel and John, of the Murray Brothers Caddyshack restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida (actually, in St. Augustine, Florida, inside the World Golf Village complex).
He often works with the directors Harold Ramis, Ivan Reitman, Wes Anderson, and Jim Jarmusch.
Sofia Coppola wrote the lead role of Bob Harris in Lost in Translation (2003), with Murray specifically in mind. She did not know the actor and even enlisted the help of her famous father, Francis Ford Coppola, to track down the sometimes quite elusive Murray. Once he finally read the script, though, he agreed to do it on the spot. Murray and Sofia Coppola are now good friends.
He has rubbed some collaborators the wrong way because he has a tendency to re-write and improvise his way through scripts until many of his scenes barely resembles the original versions. Most collaborators ultimately find, though, it's to the improvement of the films.
Is a fan of the Illini men's basketball team.
Captivated by the story of Press Your Luck (1983) contestant Michael Larson who memorized the sequence of the game show's big board and racked up over $110,000 in winnings, Murray commissioned a screenplay for a biopic about Larson. Several studios expressed an interest but didn't follow through. The Game Show Network's 2003 TV documentary Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal (2003) told the same story with interviews, dramatic recreations and archival video, and may have diminished interest in the film even more.
The part of Boon in National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) was originally written with him in mind, but due to a scheduling conflict, he had to turn it down.
Announced that after his next three productions, he will be taking a break from acting to relax. He cites the productions of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) and Broken Flowers (2005) as having exhausted him.
Has said that "Oklahoma!" is his favorite musical.
Has no agent, no business manager, or favorite hair and make-up artist. He travels without an entourage.
He was considered for the role of Detective John Kimble in Kindergarten Cop (1990). The part eventually went to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
With The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) and Broken Flowers (2005), Murray did two films back-to-back in which he plays a long-childless man who discovers that someone who may be his grown son has been searching for him.
His performance as Phil Connors in Groundhog Day (1993) is ranked #48 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
Was considered for the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the 1989 Batman (1989) film when it was set to be identical to the 1960s TV Series before Tim Burton came along.
Was considered for the role of Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005).
His performance as Carl Spackler in Caddyshack (1980) is ranked #18 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
Was considered for the role of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story (1995).
Murray is one of only three American actors who were nominated for an Oscar for a movie that is set in the territory of Japan. The other two were Marlon Brando and Red Buttons for Sayonara (1957).
Turned down Steve Carell's role in Little Miss Sunshine (2006), which became one of the few choices in his career that he regretted.
Voiced Johnny Storm/The Human Torch in an early Fantastic Four radio show.
Murray is a huge fan of Chicago pro sports teams, especially the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago Bears.
Was a guest on the very first episode of Late Night with David Letterman (1982).
Was considered and tested for the voice role of Sulley in Monsters, Inc. (2001), but the director, Pete Docter, said that when the filmmakers decided to offer it to Murray, they were unable to make contact with him and took that to mean "no".

Ludious on

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    really ludious

did you just fucking copy and paste the wikipedia page

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The Murricane!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Usurper?
    The South has risen again!

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Meat, potato and assorted vegetables in big, dumb ovenform is good eating for days.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    No one will ever believe you.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    hey, subconscious

how about instead of dreaming that I can see and touch and talk to my dad, who I know in the dream is ashes a hundred miles away

dream about something awesome, like dogs or my Dresden Files character

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Vanguard wrote: »
    really ludious

did you just fucking copy and paste the wikipedia page
    VZKFY5l.gif

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Android is restrictive as is iOS. The difference is that Android responds to consumers doing what they want with their devices by shrugging and focusing on the rubes who will pay more for less. Apple's response is of course to break any unauthorized functionality with each update.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Peeling potato is for suckers. More work for less food.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My mum is in Gulfport again this week.
    Under the hateful stares of all the people getting fired.
    get dunked mississippi

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Not even a single AMV.

For shame, Lud-kun.

Haji no tame ni

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    echo and geth
    sittin in a tree
    k-i-s-s-i-n-g

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    get dunked mississippi
    Who is she firing and why?

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    There are two actors that have or will illicit tears from me when they passed/pass on.

Jim Varney (cried like a baby for about 5 minutes. Watched all the Ernest movies repeatedly with my dad.)
    Bill Murray.

I love Star Wars and it's sort of supposed to be what "defines" me or whatever, but really, Ghostbusters was my Star Wars. I could quote the entire movie as a kid. There aren't many celebrities I'd care to meet, but Bill Murray is up there.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my friends were playing kickball somewhere and bill murray wandered out of the woods and joined them

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    dw3gHA0.gif

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    So I think Round 2 of Chicken Vindaloo is way worse than Round 1.

Reason:
    The butt can't drink water, which is a serious design flaw.

Thoughts?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »

Reason:

Thoughts?

Is this some sort of avant garde poem?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Are butts supposed to drink water?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    get dunked mississippi
    Who is she firing and why?

She isn't firing them. They're moving a bunch of responsibilities to the operations center here and all the people that were doing the job in Gulfport that are losing their jobs are having to train her.
    And they are making her well aware of their opinion on this matter

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Bill Murray is only 65 but looks straight elderly at this point

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

Reason:

Thoughts?

Is this some sort of avant garde poem?

in this poem, we see man's desire to shape the world symbolized by the chicken butt

sure, we can excise it from the rest of the chicken, just as we can build our cities to wall out the undesirable flora and dauna

but when we need it

it does not take to water

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My butt insists on being full of farts.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Maybe it should gargle water?

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular

Reason:

Thoughts?

Capsaicin isn't water soluble, but it is alcohol and fat soluble. Thus, it calls for a vodka enema followed by submerging your butt in a bucket of yogurt.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    No one will ever believe you.

This s the best thing ever, and I still dont know what to think of it at this point.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Maybe it should gargle water?

that'll cost you extra, around these parts

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla

Reason:

Thoughts?

Capsaicin isn't water soluble, but it is alcohol and fat soluble. Thus, it calls for a vodka enema followed by submerging your butt in a bucket of yogurt.

TIL... next time I eat Indian food will be a much more depraved affair.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Zenimax is getting the worst optics from their dispute with Oculus right now.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Reason:

Thoughts?

Alka seltzer enema

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    this project is dongs because i have no idea what i'm doing

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I tend to find that spicy food is only ever not going to have that effect if you ate enough of something else at the same time that you aren't producing highly concentrated capsaicin poop

Have like, some saag aloo as a side or something

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    so can someone tell me whether the bruins/ canadiens series is tied 1-1

i think it is but espn's website is literally the worst thing in the history of ever

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    highly concentrated capsaicin poop

also known as "shitting laserbeams"

• Options
    technically the colon is great at absorption. If you shot water up there and plugged your butt, it WOULD "drink" it.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    technically the colon is great at absorption. If you shot water up there and plugged your butt, it WOULD "drink" it.

There was a fad with shoving alcohol-soaked tampons up your butt once.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I approve this chat op.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Reason:

Thoughts?

maybe your butt can't drink water

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have been blessed with iron digestion. Rarely does my stomach protest even the most egregious of peppery abuse

This discussion has been closed.