As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Mom stepped in.... @DaringDirk‌

"Scratchy, stahp! Go home, you're drunk! Seriously though, you're gifting too much. It's irresponsible, if you have a tight budget and a family to think about. And I feel the need to occasionally act as the physical (or digital) hand of Karma. All that aside, did you play the KQ games as a kid? I remember people in elementary and junior high sharing secrets about the various games, about the same time people were describing scenes from the Nightmare on Elm Street series. So very much nostalgia.,

Awesome series, with so many memories. Please do find the time to actually play through these, as pixelated as they may be. Love you forever, like you always."

Thank you much for a collection of quests involving kings or folks who will eventually be kings. I spose I'll stop.

Edit: played the heck out of them, love em! I will have to call back home and have my catacomb map sent to me. 7 was hit and miss though. bleh can't wait to play them all and holy crap we need quest for glory like asap.

@Scratchy doesn't know the meaning of the word 'stahp', and hit me back with Tower of Guns. Thanks so much, dude! Looks like the best parts of SMB3's last level made into an FPS, should be fun!

camo_sig2.png
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Tower of Guns is quite possibly the best binding of Issac quake 3 arena crossbreed ever made.

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    And it doesn't crash!
    ?.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    huh, republic commando is a hidden treasure apparently? I think I may grab it. been ages since I've bought a steam anything (or posted in here! hello!) but I've been wanting a star wars something since I saw the sale. the dark forces games are appealing but more as a novelty, commando seems like it might be a pretty cool and fresh experience.

Republic Commando is the Star Wars Action Shooter you've never know you've always wanted. Only critique is that its short....but uh.....when you hit the second campaign.....make sure to mash melee button....quickly.

Republic Commando is terrible because it's so good but it's fairly short and there's no other game like it so it's a huge fucking bastard that gets you going and then says "Ha, no more for you. Ever."

And then you weep into your keyboard and restart the game.

And it doesn't crash!
    ?.jpg

You can send your physical copy to me so that I might adorn myself ala buffalo bill. This mirror won't dance in front of itself.

steam_sig.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Croixleur Sigma is actually incredibly fun. It starts off a bit slow but once you get into the more challenging stuff its a pretty satisfying arena brawler with simple but responsive dash evasion mechanics.

I know arena brawlers aren't exactly the most popular genre, but if you do enjoy them on some level Sigma is a game worth picking up.

steam_sig.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yikes.
    @Scratchy gifted me Ring Runner within seconds of me friending him. :-0

This man must be stopped.

Edit: And now Strider.

Halp.... me.... ;_;
    Thank you! <3

Sokpuppet on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Thanks again to @akajaybay‌ for Shadowrun. Just ran through a few hours and its great!

It was just luck of the draw, I finished my game and saw that pop up and then I saw the most glorious thing ever: somebody wishlisting Ring Runner, my goodness you've got to have it. You are kind of being a little sneaky in not telling the whole story about how you gifted me Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike.

I don't need anymore games folks, I'm super good. I can't afford to gift out retaliation gifts much more so please stop, this was all Drake's idea, I do think Stabbity Style had something to do with it as well.

steam_sig.png
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    @Scratchy has hit me with Serious Sam: Classics! Thank you!

It came with the message. "This was Drakes Idea. Enjoy it, or he'll come after you or or something".

Not sure if clever ploy, or...

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    You know what would be nice? If steam would list the system requirements for your games on the library page.
    edit:
    LjfUpQn.png
    What's the difference between aftermath and afterlight
    Well the answer's right there.
    @Scratchy I have a great many turn based squad strategy/tactics games, you don't need to send many anything else (besides $2000).

Spread the gift bombs to other people

RoyceSraphim on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Somewhere back in this thread, somewhere apparently I cannot find in my bleary-eyed morning searching, some classy gent whose forum name I also cannot find (bear with me here) ran a Steamgifts contest for C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising. This morning I find an email from an unfamiliar name that turns out to be said gent:
    You won a Command and Conquer! What are the odds?! 100%, it turns out.

No-one else entered? I'm shocked.

Reveal yourself, mystery man, that the Steam thread may know how awesome you are! And thank you very much. :)

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I think I'm ready to lay down some impressions of the current early access build of Dungeon of the Endless (currently US$10), for those interested. I've got about 10 hours logged (including Steam offline mode) and have exclusively played the harder of the two available difficulty levels - "Easy" (trust me, it's anything but). I've managed to get to level 5 once, level 4 a bunch of times, and I believe there are 8 levels so far in the game.

This game has real potential to be brilliant, and I don't say that lightly. The pieces of the puzzle are there, they just need a deft hand to complete the full picture. A procedurally generated roguelike isn't exactly a rare thing these days so it needs to scratch a lot of itches to be a favoured back-scratcher. Here's a list of things I look for and enjoy in this genre, and how DotE is performing in that regard:
    • Pausable, real-time combat for important decisions - Call me, new fashioned? But I enjoy this over everyone-moves-at-once tilesets. Decision making in combat if your heroes are already engaged is probably too late. It's less reactive to things that are happening like FTL, and more proactive, such as "These mobs are heading here with these defences already in place, this hero needs to go here and that hero there to assist" then leave them be. In combat, there are only two meaningful decisions, which is a bit less than I'd like. One is whether you choose to use your heroes action (mostly buffs), and two if/when to pull back and how much ground you're willing to give up in the process (reinforcing a new defensive position is also included in this). I'd like to get a bit more interactivity with my heroes, so there's room to improve here. Grade: B-
    • Multiple progression routes from the same start - You only have three heroes to choose from to begin with and it may take you a little while to unlock many more as you need to have any in-game acquired heroes last three floors (quite a feat) or complete the game. Regardless of the heroes you choose, you'll eventually fall into a workable rhythm of what resources you'd like to gather and spend (of three), in what order and quantity for the first two levels, which makes them a little rote. Discovering artifacts early enough to unlock a few additional defensive means is vitally important because what you start off with will leave you wanting in future levels. Without a great deal of variation in the opening levels, and the later levels being too difficult to stray away from tried-and-tested builds, there aren't that many different ways so far to successfully progress. Grade: D
    • A sense of urgency - While the ticking-clock is, at a cursory glance, conspicuously absent, I can assure you that it is there and is one of if not the most important things to factor in how you play. Each opened door is another tick towards certain doom and at some implied stage, you WILL be unable to fend off the hoards. You'll undoubtedly have a couple of close calls where you're juuuust able to survive, and then the race is really-super-dooper on to find and get to that exit. It brings purpose to each step and it's exhilarating to survive a close call. Grade: A
    • Difficulty fairness - This is a tricky one for this genre. The best way I'd describe an ideal game in this regard is that it isn't too hard, you're just not good enough yet. Dark Souls and FTL are classic examples of this done well, but I don't feel DotE is at those lofty standards (at least not yet). Scripting of the exit location can be highly variable in the levels I've experienced so far. Find it too early and despite not touching the crystal, mobs spawn at an increased rate which elevates the difficulty beyond what you're ready for mid-level. Finding it too late can sometimes be out of your hands too. If it takes 25 or more doors to find it, and it's nearly the furthest point of the map away, you've already spent an enormous amount of resources just surviving to get to that point and if you don't have a particularly fast character, it's pretty much game over. You're not given enough decisions to manage this risk and I feel the RNG Gods have too much sway at the moment. Grade: C
    • Pick-up-and-play and Replayability - A really good run to the end of level 4 will take about 10-15 in-game minutes. This'll be padded out depending how often you pause (often!) but you don't feel that you're ever bogged down in slog in this game. You sprint out of the gate each time and get cut down, but learn a little more each time. You learn what situations your defences/heroes are able to handle - do you send back your opener to assist with defence, or do they have it in hand? Did your opener crack open a can of monster-worms and need to retreat? These kind of things, because data isn't readily available about monsters, are learned by experience. As I mentioned earlier, the important decisions are the ones you make before combat occurs, so the more experience you get the better you are able to manage these risks. My latest playthroughs are a much more stream-lined experience when initially I couldn't even pass the first level after a good 5+ attempts. Grade: B

In summary, I'm very excited to see how this game develops. I think the difficulty needs to be toned down a few notches to mitigate some of the bad RNG that crops up, but otherwise I just want more content crammed in. More defence types, more buff options, more items, more heroes, more location designs, more room types, more door types... Here's hoping Amplitude Studios are up for to the challenge!

steam_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You know what would be nice? If steam would list the system requirements for your games on the library page.

Yes. Having a desktop that's decently powerful and a laptop that very much isn't, so I have to search for a game in the store to check the requirements whenever I am considering installing something new. It's especially a pain in the ass with indie games, which range from anywhere between "will run on a 600MHz Celeron" (Cave Story Plus) to "ridiculously unoptimized and bloated mess that struggles on a C2D" (Fez).

There used to be a "View Store Page" option for each game when you right clicked on it in your library, which made it easy to check system requirements, but that was removed in an update a while back.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well, I beat Dark Souls 2. Yup. All done now.
    Just look at all these weapons and armor in my inventory. THEY MUST ALL BE UPGRADED. FIND ALL THE SPELLS. ALL THE MIRACLES. ALL THE GESTURES. MUST. FIND. THEM. ALL!

Yes. Having a desktop that's decently powerful and a laptop that very much isn't, so I have to search for a game in the store to check the requirements whenever I am considering installing something new. It's especially a pain in the ass with indie games, which range from anywhere between "will run on a 600MHz Celeron" (Cave Story Plus) to "ridiculously unoptimized and bloated mess that struggles on a C2D" (Fez).

There used to be a "View Store Page" option for each game when you right clicked on it in your library, which made it easy to check system requirements, but that was removed in an update a while back.

I was thinking Magicka as I read that description. I remember attempting to play that on my circa-2008 C2D/ATI3450HD laptop. It was... painful.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

You still can view the store page, but it takes an extra step, unfortunately. Gotta go to the community hub first, then there'll be a button to go to the store page.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    ..I don't even know what you people are talking about. When you are on your library page there is a huge STORE PAGE link on the right hand side under links.

Like, literally the sixth link from the top 9 out of 10 times.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    ..I don't even know what you people are talking about. When you are on your library page there is a huge STORE PAGE link on the right hand side under links.

only if you are in "Detail View"

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

That's still an extra step, and I don't know about you, but browsing in the steam client is always painfully slow for me as opposed to when I'm using the website, so the less clicks it takes to find something the better.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmmm.

I don't know why, but it appears my Blade Kitten is updating.

I'm surprised, because it even lost it's store page a while back.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm.

I don't know why, but it appears my Blade Kitten is updating.

I'm surprised, because it even lost it's store page a while back.
    From what I've heard, Krome has actually been working on part 2, and it was removed from the store so they could do this (Though that sounds dumb as hell) and it's going to be released as DLC for episode 1. Aparently they had to get the rights back from Atari first.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Geometry Wars is just as frantic and fun as I remembered it was. It's a shame that it doesn't have online leaderboards.. I totally thought it did! Bad job outta me. So that's lame. But it's $1.99 and it's worth that much for the nostalgia alone.

It's a crime that we never got a PC version of Geometry Wars 2.

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I woke up this morning to a gift of Geometry Wars from @Sangheili91‌

Thanks! I'll give those shapes what for

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Someone on a steam forum made a nice list of all free DLC you can add to your steam account if you have the base-game but that thread is currently not available so I figure I post it here. Since it is pretty easy to miss some of these.
    A Virus Named Tom - Winter Wonderland
    Alan Wake - Bonus Materials
    Alice: Madness Returns - Special Edition Content (Instructions / Config File Edit)
    Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition - Dirty Arena
    Bunch of Heroes - Holiday Pack
    Choplifter HD - Zombie Zombie Zombie
    Crusader Kings II - Songs of Yuletide
    Delve Deeper - Gratis Grottos
    DmC Devil May Cry - Bloody Palace Mode
    Dragon Age: Origins - Promotional Items (Instructions)
    Dungeons of Dredmor - You Have To Name The Expansion Pack
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - High Resolution Texture Pack
    Europa Universalis IV - Songs of Yuletide
    Farming Simulator 2013 - Classics
    GRID 2 - Demolition Derby Pack
    Lost Planet 3 - Hi Res Movies
    Magicka - Jolnirs Workshop
    Mass Effect - Bring Down The Sky (Third Party)
    Metro: Last Light - Metro 2033 Novel (US Only)
    Omerta: City of Gangsters - The Bulgarian Colossus
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation - Satan Claus
    Prime World - Prime Machine Game is F2P
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - Data Pack
    RACE 07 - Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway
    Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - Ogredeath
    Resident Evil 6 - Wallpaper
    Saints Row IV - Reverse Cosplay Pack | Thank You Pack
    Sanctum - X-Mas Carnage | Yogscave
    Sleeping Dogs - Ghost Pig | High Resolution Texture Pack
    Vanguard Princess - Director's Cut
    Waking Mars - Soundtrack
    Wargame: AirLand Battle - Magna Carta
    Wargame: European Escalation - 4 sets of DLC
    Worms Ultimate Mayhem - Single Player Pack
    X3: Reunion - Bonus Package

Skullgirls - Big Band I think this DLC is free temporarily? So get it if you have the base-game.

Isorn on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Reminder, you have one day left for these giveaways and damn good odds.
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I hope you're all hungry, cause I got some giveaways that start at lunch time on the east coast.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Take your fill, you have through the weekend and a little extra.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Haven't given out a game for a while, getting the shakes, I know, let's have a contest.

Back in December I held a contest where folks had to send in a story related to RPG gaming in some way. Nearly every entry I got had something along the lines of them doing this for twenty or thirty years and how hard it was to pick just one story to tell. Considering this it seems there are still plenty of stories that haven't been told.

The prize is the (second*) most wanted game among my friends, Child of Light. To win it PM me a story involving you and an RPG, be it video game or tabletop based. Best story will receive the game on steam.

Also, if you have a story in mind, but are thinking
    I'm not entering this because backlog and because other people deserve to win it more than me

you can still enter. If you don't want the game for yourself you can enter and nominate someone else to receive the prize if you win.

The contest ends a week from now, May 12th 9:30 am EST.

The reason its the second most wanted game is the most wanted game is Blackguards and I wanted to hand out a different game this time.

Orivon on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Dragonfall's been really good so far.

I really liked the default campaign, although it was a bit short. My only complaint about it really was that I made a decker and then the final dungeon of the game is entirely combat with no computers to hax! So my main character was basically a liability.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    We have winners!!

signature.png
    Goes to Bloodyro! Cherish it! Yah bloody bastard. :D

signature.png
    signature.png
    @Drovek wins both!!! The lucky duck! One is sent to your email while the other is sent to your steam account.

signature.png
    jazzmx5 gets it!

Oh man, it was a (very) long weekend, so I didn't catch these until today.

Thank you very, very much, @Firebird, you classy dude! :D

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited May 2014
    Isorn wrote: »
    Someone on a steam forum made a nice list of all free DLC you can add to your steam account if you have the base-game but that thread is currently not available so I figure I post it here. Since it is pretty easy to miss some of these.

That looks like a pretty cool pack. That was my first Steam game, too (double pack with Terran Conflict).
    Maybe I'll play it one of these days. /mybacklogstartedearly

Jazz on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Chaps. Deal posting time again. Gamersgate has Space Hulk for £11.50 (~$15) here. Not the best sale in the world, but it rarely drops below the base price of £23, so thought I'd mention it.
    Shame they don't seem to do the DLC, but there we are. Looks like they have one of the campaign DLC's (Sword of Halcyon) for 50% off, and a couple of the cosmetic skins, if you like that sort of thing.

And a 2 pack of the main game for £20, which is a decent deal tbh.

Amusingly, sale expired in the time it took me to edit the post.
    Oh Gamersgate, you scallywags you.

CroakerBC on
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Had a free afternoon, so I played and completed Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter yesterday. What a great game! Felt great to play an uncomplicated FPS for a change. Just pure energy and action all the way.

I feel like I could get onto a classic/retro FPS spree for a while. Maybe do another Painkiller game, or finish the new Rise of the Triad, or perhaps...

I'm lighting the @Drake signal! What's the best way to play the original Doom these days? I have all the titles on Steam, so I have the WAD files. I guess I'm looking to play with all the bells and whistles (modern UI, resolution, etc.) without disrupting the core gameplay (much). I've heard of Brutal Doom, but my understanding is that it changes the game up significantly. Thoughts and suggestions?

steam_sig.png
    After posting on kotaku, an anthro ModernWarfare clone but with more melodrama would be entertaining.

Take it up to levels that make Yahtzee Croshaw choke on his keyboard.

• FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    A Virus Named Tom - Winter Wonderland
    Alan Wake - Bonus Materials
    Alice: Madness Returns - Special Edition Content (Instructions / Config File Edit)
    Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition - Dirty Arena
    Bunch of Heroes - Holiday Pack
    Choplifter HD - Zombie Zombie Zombie
    Crusader Kings II - Songs of Yuletide
    Delve Deeper - Gratis Grottos
    DmC Devil May Cry - Bloody Palace Mode
    Dragon Age: Origins - Promotional Items (Instructions)
    Dungeons of Dredmor - You Have To Name The Expansion Pack
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - High Resolution Texture Pack
    Europa Universalis IV - Songs of Yuletide
    Farming Simulator 2013 - Classics
    GRID 2 - Demolition Derby Pack
    Lost Planet 3 - Hi Res Movies
    Magicka - Jolnirs Workshop
    Mass Effect - Bring Down The Sky (Third Party)
    Metro: Last Light - Metro 2033 Novel (US Only)
    Omerta: City of Gangsters - The Bulgarian Colossus
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation - Satan Claus
    Prime World - Prime Machine Game is F2P
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - Data Pack
    RACE 07 - Andy Priaulx Crowne Plaza Raceway
    Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - Ogredeath
    Resident Evil 6 - Wallpaper
    Saints Row IV - Reverse Cosplay Pack | Thank You Pack
    Sanctum - X-Mas Carnage | Yogscave
    Sleeping Dogs - Ghost Pig | High Resolution Texture Pack
    Vanguard Princess - Director's Cut
    Waking Mars - Soundtrack
    Wargame: AirLand Battle - Magna Carta
    Wargame: European Escalation - 4 sets of DLC
    Worms Ultimate Mayhem - Single Player Pack

Skullgirls - Big Band I think this DLC is free temporarily? So get it if you have the base-game.

Also there is this thread too, which includes all those free DLCs + a list of all free to play games available on steam, a list of mods and some hidden stuff or regional restricted games.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STrYyhEwkbY&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

I Suddenly understand why. I know what I'm going to marathon after graduation.

Dammit, I didn't need this. I'm still trying to get my arena ready for the Eater of Worlds in Terraria. :neutral_face:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Had a free afternoon, so I played and completed Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter yesterday. What a great game! Felt great to play an uncomplicated FPS for a change. Just pure energy and action all the way.

I feel like I could get onto a classic/retro FPS spree for a while. Maybe do another Painkiller game, or finish the new Rise of the Triad, or perhaps...

I'm lighting the Drake signal! What's the best way to play the original Doom these days? I have all the titles on Steam, so I have the WAD files. I guess I'm looking to play with all the bells and whistles (modern UI, resolution, etc.) without disrupting the core gameplay (much). I've heard of Brutal Doom, but my understanding is that it changes the game up significantly. Thoughts and suggestions?

Brutal doom is pretty great. I'd personally just recommend mouse look and playing as is if it's been a while. Doom had the best level design ever.

steam_sig.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I remember that there were people in here marvelling at a game called LocoCycle, which was about a sentient kung fu motorcycle, and lamenting that it was too expensive for what was, essentially, an hilarious but terrible game.

Well, it's now in an indiegala bundle for 2$, so those of you who want to snap it up if only to laugh at it, there you go. When it appeared in my mail I thought I'd give a holler here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I had a blast playing some Serious Sam HD with some friends a few years ago. We had 4 people on the LAN, and another 2 friends playing from the internet. It was going really well and everyone was having a blast until there was some sort of desync issue. I hope that one day we can have a group of friends over and do something like that again.

This discussion has been closed.