Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PbP] 13th Age: Darskye-fall: Into the Wild Wood

1141517192023

Posts

  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    We may have a bite! More information later

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
    OatsAuralynxbss
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The group dusts themselves off and, careful to avoid the large and ominously glowing crystals protruding from the ground, proceed into the jungle. The soft sandy ground transitions slowly to firmer grasses and mosses. The air is warm with humidity and the coppery blood smell from earlier is mixed with the strong earthy smell of peat and slowly rotting wood. Beams of sunlight come through the canopy and illuminate the immediate area, making the floating pollen and... glowy dots coming off of some of the crystals flutter about as if alive.

    A hundred or so yards in, some movement catches your collective eye. the vines on the trees and on the ground have animated! Luckily they're over there and not over here by yo-
    Oh.
    Oh.
    Oh.

    Roll me an acrobatics-type check, everyone! 17+ to succeed.
    (Dexterity + any applicable backgrounds)

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Barthas utilizes one of his most valuable skills from his time living on the streets: when in doubt, duck.

    Geth roll 1d20+2+2 for dodging like a street rat would

    Thanks, Geth, I would expect nothing less (because it's mathematically impossible to do so).

    dodging like a street rat would:
    1d20+2+2 5 [1d20=1]

    bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
    Erin The Red
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Pitfall:The Movie:The Book:The Soundtrack!

    Pitfall:The Movie:The Book:The Soundtrack!:
    1d20+7 24 [1d20=17]

    OatsErin The Red
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Proof has a similar instinct to Barthas.

    It goes a little better, but really only because Proof is that much shorter.

    There's an audible bonk as the dwarf is struck.

    Here's hoping he can execute it better! And that Geth has managed to get all the 1s out of its system.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for ducking and weaving.

    ducking and weaving:
    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]

    Oats on
    Erin The Red
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Barthas utilizes one of his most valuable skills from his time living on the streets: when in doubt, duck.

    Geth roll 1d20+2+2 for dodging like a street rat would

    Thanks, Geth, I would expect nothing less (because it's mathematically impossible to do so).

    Riffraff? Streetrat? Iiiii don't buuuuy that.
    If only they looked closer!
    Would they see a demon?
    Yes siree

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
    bssKilroy
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yancey sees the vines moving and immediately starts repeating "I told you so! I told you so! ItoldyousoItoldyouso...." while trying to get out of the way.

    Geth roll 1d20+9 for Dex + Profoundly Annoying

    Dex + Profoundly Annoying:
    1d20+9 19 [1d20=10]

    Auralynx on
    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    Erin The Red
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Clank glanced curiously at the vines as they wrapped around one leg.
    Minion, roll 1d20+7 for dextrous wanderer of level 2

    dextrous wanderer of level 2:
    1d20+7 12 [1d20=5]

    jdarksun on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The vines are much closer than anticipated at first glance. They wrap around the legs of most of you. Farkas and Yancey manage to hop deftly away from the encroaching foliage.

    As the vines suspend some of you upside down, a low thrumming noise that was previously undetected catches everyone's attention. Sigils are glowing on the trees around the perimeter of the clearing. They appear to be made of some dark mud or other gloopy concoction. Also, there are elves coming from the trees. Like a lot of them. A majority are wearing clothing in dark greens and browns that are fashioned to look like leaves and branches. They are walking with long, gnarled branches in their dominant hands as some sort of walking stick. Perched in the branches you see about half as many elves with bows drawn and arrows aimed at you all.

    "You come to these woods and bring fire and death. You bring corruption and pain. Why have you come here? Why would you harm that which is innocent?" he looks from face to face. He is not angry. He is sad. He is confused. He looks at Talfryn. He is now worried.

    Now that he is upside down the rest of the party notices something they did not see before. There is a crystal the size of a dagger protruding from his back. Glowing veins emanate from the impact site. His face is flushed and his eyelids are droopy. "No. You did not bring this on purpose. This was... mistake?"

    He waves his staff and you are all lowered to the ground once more. "Your friend is very ill. We may be able to save him, but it will take time. He will never be what he once was. His days of glory end here." he looks sadly to the trees and points. A 'come forward' motion is done and a figure leaps from the tree. He lands deftly at the druid's side and puts his bow away. "Please fix the corruption, strangers. Please help us save our home. We offer one of our own to bolster your forces. Will you lend us aid?"

    @Phyphor , make your entrance! All you folk play nice and interact and I'll toss up a story update in a few days

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yancey low-fives Farkas and then manages to be quiet for once.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    OatsErin The Red
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Proof goes to down one of his bottles, and realizes it is Roland.

    He puts the stopper back on, and decides there may be answers of another kind at the bottom of this bottle.

    He hands his flask to Talfryn. "Keep 'er safe fer me. I'll be wanting that back."

    Geth roll 1d20+4+4 for Magical Auras and Whatnot

    Magical Auras and Whatnot:
    1d20+4+4 14 [1d20=6]

  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Barthas rights himself, and bows in reverence, trying not to draw too much attention to his appearance, though he suspects he isn't fooling any of the keen-eyed elves. "We apologize for the intrusion, and intend no harm to the beautiful wilds. Our friend's affliction is as a surprise to us as it is to you, and we will do whatever we can to aid you in casting out this corruption." Barthas looks over Talfryn and quietly promises to return. Keeping his hood up and his head low, he extends a gauntleted hand to the new comrade. "And of course I look forward to working with you, sir ..."

    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    "Greetings, strangers. I am known as Arastor.", his eyes flowing over each member of the group, frowning slightly at Barthas, but accepting the offered hand. "You are definitely an odd group. My scouts tell me that you escaped the flying island recently and that these... crystals followed. Tell me about them"

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Inorganic parasitic entity," began Clank. "Communication has not been established, so intelligence is unknown. Rather dangerous."

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "The possessed might have said something, I can't recall, but they are annoying. Like zombies in full plate mail annoying." Farkas looks at his comrade and shudders. "You might want to keep him locked up. These crystals fuck with their heads. And I think it takes over quickly."

  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    "Possession you say? That is worrying. I am no healer, but perhaps the High Druid knows of a way to cure the corruption, and save your friend."

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    "I thought all druids were high," Proof mutters under his breath.

    Erin The Red
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    "These ears are rather adept at picking up speech, brother dwarf," says the leader of the druids with a smile. "We know there is sometimes enmity between our peoples, but we are on the same side in this endeavor." He looks to Arastor and nods. "Time is short. This impurity spreads quickly it seems. Please make haste. Those who came through the woods before you have headed to the north and east. I have scouts following them. Perhaps you can take care of both problems at once?"

    He moves his finger from his heart to the other side of his chest in a snaking motion. "May the Druid's vines carry you to safety and success."

    Erin The Red on
    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yancey scratches his head. "So uh about the crystals I think they're uh... hypnotic, yep, because I heard a voice in my head and I know it wasn't mine because it was all blurbly like that one turtle-looking guy who lived in the waterfall - he gave me fish one time! - and also it didn't really have a lot to say which I usually do and basically the crystals are like trying to find powerful things to live in, I guess, which would be all right if they were asking nicely but I don't want to be a crystal and I think Talfryn didn't either but, well, maybe you can help him out."

    Yancey idly juggles lightning sparks from finger to finger, apparently lost in thought even while running his mouth.

    "Does anything important live to the northeast because we could probably just go straight to wherever it usually is and maybe cut those guys off? I bet they want to take it some crystals and be like 'hey, guy, check out these sweet crystals that are totally controlling our superstitious, cowardly criminal minds.' Then that thing - I bet you guys have a treant or a galeb duhr or a, I dunno, some guy - will be like 'no, man, I don't want no crystals,' but they'll probably do it like they did Talfryn and then your friend will be a crystal and that'll probably be a bad thing, yep."

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    Erin The Red
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Woo mechanical stuff. I'll post the background in the spoiler for those who want to know and the charsheet when it's filled in
    Geth, roll 6#4d6k3 for Great Stats Woo!

    Appearance:
    ~6ft tall, male, a hood covering his face but with obvious elven features, and scarring on his face visible when the hood is off. Well-worn leather armor, and a dark green and brown cloak that blends into the trees. Carries a longbow and quiver slung over his back, and two longswords at his sides. Has a large reddish-grey wolf companion, which he raised from a pup.

    Background:
    He grew up in the Wild Woods, and did not leave them during his youth. Being wood elves, his village constantly traveled around the forest, settling no permanent home. One week, they pitched their tents near a Drow settlement. Normally, the Silver Folk would tolerate the presence of other elves, for short times at least. Open conflict was relatively rare, even this far from the Elf Queen's direct influence.

    However, these weren't just any of the Silver Folk, they had been corrupted. The Diabolist had influenced them and demons were living amongst them, enhancing the Drow's natural cruel nature, turning them truly vicious and aggressive even to other elves. They attacked, and gleefully slaughtered his village. Anyone who wasn't killed immediately was tortured to death. He was the only survivor, and escaped only because he was out hunting, and was good at hiding.

    He fled to the only place he knew would be safe, the seat of the High Druid, and took up training as a ranger in her service; dedicating his life to both the preservation of the natural order, and the destruction of demons everywhere.

    In between assignments he hunts rumors of demons in the Wood. So far, he has been unable to find any trace of the Drow that killed his family. At the moment, he is one of a few rangers helping a group of druids near the edge of the Wild Wood, ensuring their rituals continue uninterrupted.

    Great Stats Woo!:
    6#4d6k3 6 # 14 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 4], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 2] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 4], 3] 8 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 2], 1] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 1] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 1]

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    Erin The Red
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "The patron of the forest wanders this area. He may be there. We do not usually seek him. He is likely very agitated by the goings on. If you see him, please try to ease his mind. An ent, even one as young as he, has terrible power. Also, beware the beasts of this place. They will work to defend the patron against all perceived threats."

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    "Fortunately, I know the paths through this part of the forest. We should be able to catch up to them if we leave soon, they don't have much of a lead." Arastor chuckes to himself, "perhaps it is fortunate for all of us that you stumbled into our camp first"

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Not sure why it's not showing up in preview, but charsheet

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    Erin The RedAnialos
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    "Probably bet that you lead the way, Arastor. Once again, best of luck to you all, and may the Druid guide your steps"

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Proof will fall in line behind the new elf, keeping a wary eye on him.

    He doesn't seem like nearly as much fun as Talfryn. Prob'ly don't even need to drink two buckets of wine to get drunk.

    "You ever hear tale of the Swanfury, boy? He'd fell a dozen orcs afore callin' any day done."

    Proof takes a swig. Tree elfs. Buddy cop movie dynamic go!

    Grunt's GhostsErin The RedKilroy
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @Phyphor‌
    You are currently a few hundred yards north of the beach. The guardian usually hangs out to the north or to the east. The scouts saw groups of people heading in each direction, but it looks like more of them went eastward. The direction you guys head in is totally up to you!

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Arastor heads north, deeper into the forest. As he walks he starts chatting with Proof "Swanfury? I'd heard that some days he'd drunk so much he didn't know how many he felled"

    You're a loose cannon Proof, turn in your bottle and axe!

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    OatsErin The Red
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    As the party travels, Arastor feels a familiar sensation in the back of his mind. One of foreboding and warning. The path you have chosen takes you through the Field of the the Gone, an ancient burial site used to inter druid, ranger, and stranger alike. Normally, this is a place of peace. You notice, however, that there is an enormous chunk of blue crystal protruding from the ground. Several bodies in shambles mill around it. With each pulse of the crystal you swear that you can see the bodies around it thrum with frenetic energy and move quicker. As the pulse fades it seems as if they are in slow motion.

    You CAN attempt to move around this and continue your journey, but leaving such a threat in the forest is something that doesn't sit very well with you.

    What would you folk like to do? I can answer any questions you have about what exactly you see before you decide, if you'd like

    Erin The Red on
    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Proof will happily start fires in the middle of this forest.

    Erin The Red
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Where yo caps is at, Field of The Gone?

    Yancey whistles and points, jumping up and down to draw everyone else's attention to the walking corpses if they hadn't already noticed them. "Hey I don't think that's how graveyards are supposed to work. Maybe we should see if we can break that crystal?"

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


    Erin The Red
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Arastor makes a low whistle and shortly after a wolf bounds from the trees and sits next to him. "Can these crystals be destroyed? Maybe with enough force it will shatter"

    How frequent are the pulses and how long are they?

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "This ain't the kind of place I'd want to walk through. And I wouldn't want to touch those crystals either. But if you like rock candy armor and evil voices in your head then go ahead and touch those things."

  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Arastor makes a low whistle and shortly after a wolf bounds from the trees and sits next to him. "Can these crystals be destroyed? Maybe with enough force it will shatter"

    How frequent are the pulses and how long are they?

    The pulses seem to be every 5-10 seconds. There's a second or two of increased energy followed by a more prolonged period of sluggishness

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Proof will start gathering power (to no benefit per the rules, but roleplaying!) and focusing his will.

    Would he be able to drain energy from the thing at range? Or send power to the thing and overload it?

  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yancey looks for a nearby rock and puts his ear to it.

    I don't suppose I can hear anything exciting through rocks over near that crystal?

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    "Ready your weapons," rumbled Clank as the automaton purposefully strode forward, intent on destroying the crystal and the abominations it had spawned.

  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Still concerned over the terrors he'd heard about lurking in the forest, Barthas readies himself, but rather than focusing on the crystal, he keeps an eye on the wild surroundings. Whatever is waiting out there might strike at any instant.

    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    Proof will start gathering power (to no benefit per the rules, but roleplaying!) and focusing his will.

    Would he be able to drain energy from the thing at range? Or send power to the thing and overload it?

    You've seen these things once before, but you can't quite pinpoint exactly how it is they do what it is that they do. Maybe with a super good magic-type check?
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yancey looks for a nearby rock and puts his ear to it.

    I don't suppose I can hear anything exciting through rocks over near that crystal?

    A low bass hum and a far-off whisper

    As the party prepares themselves to act, one of the shambling mass turns towards them. Its neck crackles loudly as it spasms and a blue light emanates from the mouth as it widens larger and larger.

    "You should not have followed. But now you will join. You will join or you will die. And then you will join. I am your end. You will be me."[/b]

    Roll for initiative!
    (Also give me your current hp/max and your defenses, por favor!)

    Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+4
    50/50 HP, AC 20, PD 17, MD 13

    My pet:
    36/36 HP, AC 18, PD 16, MD 12

    1d20+4 15 [1d20=11]

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
Sign In or Register to comment.