As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Attending PAX from the UK

The Rather Dapper ChapThe Rather Dapper Chap Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in PAX Archive
I'm very interested in heading over to PAX, but I have no idea of the general cost of the 3/4 days I'd be over there.
Could any UK chaps who attended this year give me a few pointers?

1) How much does it cost?
2) How did you find the city? I'm uh...not too fond of what I've seen of America :|
3) What should I bring?
4) Is there anywhere that serves proper drinks?
5) How appalling was the American airport?

The Rather Dapper Chap on

• Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm very interested in heading over to PAX, but I have no idea of the general cost of the 3/4 days I'd be over there.
    Could any UK chaps who attended this year give me a few pointers?

2) How did you find the city? I'm uh...not too fond of what I've seen of America :|
    3) What should I bring?

1) 24 million pounds sterling.
    2) Pure coincidence.
    3) Bring lots of toilet paper and water purification tablets.
    4) No. Nowhere in America do they serve proper drinks.
    5) So awesome.

You want to try again without sounding like a prick?

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    You know, you could have also responded without sounding like a prick.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Uh, how exactly was I a prick?
    I generally don't like America, that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like Americans, particularly folks on here.
    You have different bugs and climates to here, hence why I wanted to know what to bring.
    Number 4 I agree on. :P (in jest, if humour is beyond you)
    Your airports suck. I just want to know if I'm going to be violated because I look like a hippy and have a funny accent.

• Options
    JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uh, how exactly was I a prick?
    I generally don't like America, that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like Americans, particularly folks on here.
    You have different bugs and climates to here, hence why I wanted to know what to bring.
    Number 4 I agree on. :P (in jest, if humour is beyond you)
    Your airports suck. I just want to know if I'm going to be violated because I look like a hippy and have a funny accent.

I think he meant Kyouteki, and not you, old bean.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And speaking of being a prick (Kyouteki, not you Chap)...

I'll answer as best I can without the attitude.

1. Orbitz says airfare is $700-$1000 round trip (this was for flying out Wednesday to Seattle and flying back to London Monday; obviously this will change depending on how long you want to stay, how far you in advance you book, etc, etc). Hotel will run you $200-300 a night if you go to one with the PAX rate (of course, the rates might change next year, so don't hold me to that). $40 for early-bird registration, since you'd be crazy to not pre-register if you're flying a bazillion miles to get here. Probably $50 for cab fare to and from the airport (I probably overestimated that, but gas prices will affect it). Food/swag is totally up to you.

2. Now, I'm more or less a native Seattlite, since I go to college there, so I might have a slightly biased view, but Seattle is a lot like other cities. Is there crime? Yes. Are there shady areas? Yes. Are there ridiculously shady areas? Yes. Do they cover the entire city? No. Generally speaking, violent crime is low compared to other metropolises, so you don't have to worry about getting shot every time you turn a corner. Plus, Seattle is on the west coast, which tends to be nicer than the east coast (so I hear, haven't been near the Atlantic since I was 8).

3. Passport (obviously), clothes (despite the myth, Seattle does actually have a summer, and this year's PAX temperatures were in the high 70s, low 80s, so summer attire is quite appropriate), toiletries, cash, camera, probably an extra bag for swag. Not sure what else since your trip is a much greater distance than mine.

4. Can't help you there. I don't really go to bars, and I'm assuming by "proper drink" you mean "proper beer", and I avoid beer. That being said, don't be afraid to try the local stuff. Stuff like Budweiser and Miller you'll probably want to stay the hell away from, but the smaller stuff like Rogue or Stone Brewing might whet your appetite.

5. Well, SeaTac is an airport, so you'll have to deal with the usual airport issues. I don't want to say you won't get searched, since I got searched, along with my mom and my little brother, at the Spokane airport (which means nothing to you, but those who know of/have been in Spokane knows how re-goddamn-diculous that is), but it's not as though every other person gets searched. The airport is 15 miles away from downtown, so you'll definitely need to take a cab (I doubt you'll be packing light enough to want to take the bus in, plus you'll probably be dissapointed in the bus service, even though it is one of the better ones in the country).

One of the most important things to remember is that there will be somewhere between 40,000-100,000 (you never know) like-minded individuals (which kind of sounds contradictory), so help is definitely available.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jaiden - I know, I was responding to Kyouteki. :D

Thanks for a good reply whypick1.
    Looks like it'll end up around £1000-£1500 ($2000-$3000) for the whole event, so I may have to leave it a couple more years until I finish university and have a job.

Thanks for all the details. I have another thing to look forward to when I have money now then. 8-)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, making it out here on a student's budget would be tricky, but I have one easy solution: foreign exchange to either University of Washington or Seattle University (note: pick the former). You'll stay in school, get acclimated with Seattle/America, and be right at PAX's doorstep when August rolls around (plus neither of them are in session during then, so no distractions either).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Finding people to room with in a hotel room and picking one of the cheaper hotels can reduce the cost of that by quite a bit. I ended up paying 50 bucks total for 2 nights for the hotel room. That was at the Days inn with 5 people in the room though. Just a thought.

JPants on
  • Options
    MaccyMaccy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm from the UK and I was at PAX this year so I guess I should reply!

1. Not applicable to me as I came here as part of a bigger trip. If you can afford to spend Summer out here the flights are much more reasonable offpeak ;)

Living costs in the US are currently very favourable for us at the moment thanks to the exchange rate: pretty much everything is pounds to dollars, so you'll pay $6 (£3) for a footlong sub at subway and $20 (£10) for a half-decent restaurant meal. Beer tends to cost the same as the UK, though - $2-£2.50 a pint, in most places. Obviously this might change in a year but for now you can live at half the UK price while you're here.

2. America isn't that bad! You don't have to see much of the city anyway: I only saw the streets between the hotel and the convention center, and some mall a block downhill where my friend bought a DS. The area around the center was full of PAX people all day and all night so it was perfectly safe.

3. Seattle basically gets English summer weather. Pack for cold and warm days. the center is pretty well air conditioned and I actually found I was cold most of the time. Take a camera.

4. Taphouse has 140 odd beers, and is just around the corner from the center.

American breweries are surprisingly good - they don't come up to the European standard but you'll find something you can't complain about here, for sure.

5. American airports are fine, just, y'know, don't bring any bombs into the country and you'll be fine. Less chaos than Heathrow in my experience.

---

Also, it's totally worth it. Get saving :)

Maccy on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What do you consider a proper drink?

Also, while a lot of American airports are crap, SeaTac is pretty nice. Security there doesn't typically target brits unless you act like an ass, so you should hopefully be okay.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm rather a fan of a nice Irish cider, or scottish whiskey, or even a few of the local beers from Oxfordshire, but I'm not a huge drinker, so I can make do with something else if there's nothing to my fancy. I mostly just wanted a low jab at American drinks! :lol:

I just know I'd get frisked for being a sarcastic arse to a security guard. :x

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have to start saving. And find a job in my holidays.

• Options
    ppd1000ppd1000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey The rarther dapper chap i came from the uk this year so will be able to anzwer your questions:

Overall a flight on British Airways and sta in the shearton for 5 days i belive was £800 (including the pax rate on the hotel) overall including food and drinks, plus merch it cost around £300 ($600).

2) How did you find the city? I'm uh...not too fond of what I've seen of America

The city was alright, the mall was good especially the food court, but i found some of the people in the shops to be dicks.

3) What should I bring?

Money, travel plugs, a DS, you British accent (the americans i met loved it) and just general stuff

Theres a small store near the conventon center which sold drinks was a good store

the seattle airport (SEA) was terrible in ther terminal i went to there was 2 shops a news shop and a duty free nowhere to buy a game for the plane (forgot to buy on in the city)

Sorry this is so short, hope it will help

ppd1000 on
  • Options
    mygiantrobotmygiantrobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Taphouse is amazing.

Also as far as airports go, SeaTac is pretty boss.

mygiantrobot on
    <kelp> i'm in ur oceans, housin ur otters

I make costumes.
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ppd1000 wrote: »
    the seattle airport (SEA) was terrible in ther terminal i went to there was 2 shops a news shop and a duty free nowhere to buy a game for the plane (forgot to buy on in the city)

You need to explore a bit more, there are TONS of shops all over the SeaTac airport, all beyond the security gates. And the central court area, with its entire wall of windows is pretty nice. But I don't think there's anyplace there that would sell a videogame; I seem to remember a place that rents DVD's/players for the length of the plane trip, though.

Well, I guess there is the tiny old satellite terminal, you could have been there - I'm pretty sure you can take the subway to the main terminal to where all the other shops are, though.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I believe I side with Kyoteki on that: the question seemed to be designed to criticize, not to elicit helpful feedback.

For example, instead of implying "proper drinks" are impossible in the US, describe what specifically makes a proper drink in such a way that we'd know how to identify it.

Do that (for each of your five questions) and then you'll get some helpful responses. (For example, I flew from Omaha to Seattle, and this was my first time in a Pacific timezone. But I'm not sharing my experiences here because it seems the original poster doesn't actually care to hear them.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Clearly you don't quite understand British humour. Other people here seem to have understood what I said.
    There are some helpful responses here, of which I'm very grateful.

Don't expect me to put 50 winky smilies in each post so you realise when I'm poking fun.

• Options
    MalenfantMalenfant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And there I was thinking I was the only one from the UK who went to PAX 07!

Maccy already covered all the points perfectly fine but I must disagree with the last one. The customs was so unbelievably aggressive I doubt I'll go back until things over there calm the hell down. It was Kafkaesq to say the least, my girlfriend and I landed in Chicago and it went downhill from the start. We weren't even getting out there, it was just to transfer to our plane to Vancouver (spent 3 days there to acclimatise before PAX) but they forced everyone to get off and check into the States.

They split us up, questioned us, took my passport away for "inspection" (I've never let anyone take my passport away before, terrifying) and then searched our bags. I was told it was all "Standard Procedure" but when I got my passport back I saw that it was in a pile of other Irish passports (that's what I fly under) so I guess they were targeting that.

The whole way they went about it was as terrifying as possible, my girlfriend was questioned and her answers were checked against mine, we didn't agree on what year we meet so that also might have triggered it. Leaving was much the same, passport taken away, questions, outright hostility from all the staff. The hostility was the worst, everyone got it not just me, just an out and out "We hate you, please die" vibe from everyone we met (in customs that is, once past that everyone was great), totally crazy.

I bet some of you think I'm some 7 foot tall bearded arab guy wearing a Buck Fush T-Shirt by now, I can assure you I'm just an average white english speaking dork. Much like many people in modern Europe I have a fairly complex citizenship mix that might have upset the customs. I'm a New Zealander with Irish citizenship who lives in London, more than once this was commented on, in America this seems odd but for New Zealanders this is practically average.

Don't get me wrong though, it was well worth it Dapper Chap, PAX made for the best birthday trip ever, it was so fantastic that the whole ordeal of getting into the States was worth it. Just keep your head about you, don't let them get to you.

Malenfant on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clearly you don't quite understand British humour. Other people here seem to have understood what I said.
    There are some helpful responses here, of which I'm very grateful.

Don't expect me to put 50 winky smilies in each post so you realise when I'm poking fun.

I do understand British humo(u)r, but it's still difficult to pick up sarcasm of any kind when you're reading it on a screen. You don't need 50 smileys to get a laugh across, but you might want to reread your posts before you submit them and make sure they're coming off as lighthearted jest instead of "Your country sucks, but I'm visiting anyway."

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Indeed, SeaTac is very nice. I've been through O'Hare (Chicago), PIT (Pittsburgh), TIA (Tucson), and BWI (Baltimore) and SeaTac is on top of that list. Someday I'll get to experience the hell that is LAX.

And in response to Malenfant: That's one of the reasons I don't like to fly. Chicago is probably one of the worst places to come in on an international flight. From the sounds of it you landed at O'Hare (Midway tends to be a little less gruff when it comes to security, last I knew anyways).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I can't see how this is poking fun. Using words like "appalling" and "proper" or saying you're not too fond of what you've seen of America, I wouldn't expect to be met with open arms. I'm pretty damn sure that there is nothing sarcastic or poky about your statements. Poky is something like calling someone chubby, or even a fat ass. If you say you are appalled by the state of this cow-man, you're no longer being sarcastic. You're just being a prick.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Overall though i found america to be amazing, pax goers to be amazing and ingeneral americans to be great :P well worth the travel time

ppd1000 on
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ppd1000, you aren't Robert by any chance, are you?

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    ShaukShauk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was in line in front of a group of brit sounding types. They were talking about electronic music, I almost wanted to jump in and be like "i make that stuff" but that seemed kinda leaving myself open for "who the hell cares?"

oh well. /goes back to being quiet

Shauk on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    no foxy roxy im paul the other brit

ppd1000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    HEY FRENCHIE! call robert a nancy for me.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    1. Orbitz says airfare is $700-$1000 round trip (this was for flying out Wednesday to Seattle and flying back to London Monday; obviously this will change depending on how long you want to stay, how far you in advance you book, etc, etc). Hotel will run you $200-300 a night if you go to one with the PAX rate (of course, the rates might change next year, so don't hold me to that). $40 for early-bird registration, since you'd be crazy to not pre-register if you're flying a bazillion miles to get here. Probably $50 for cab fare to and from the airport (I probably overestimated that, but gas prices will affect it). Food/swag is totally up to you.

Not sure how much this will help, but the cab fare directly from the airport to downtown was about $35 there and $35 back. We had to take a bus, though, as there were four of us + luggage + swag bags. Food wasn't terribly expensive, IMO, as long as you do it decently. I bought a loaf of bread and some things to put on it at the Public Market for about.. $6 and it lasted me a decent bit of the trip (a few days).

And yes, definitely bring the British accent. We do love it here.

Also, Roxy, are you torturing the foreigners already? They haven't even GOTTEN here yet.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, we met at PAX. And I've got a right to torture them, they insisted they were superior.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ahh, I see.
    Well, be sure to give them a cookie or somethin'.
    We can't have them think we were raised in barns or none of that.

SergeantAuberie on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wait are you Mac's friend Goth Paul?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Foxy_Roxy wrote: »
    No, we met at PAX. And I've got a right to torture them, they insisted they were superior.

First we are because well we are biritish ;)

TNTrooper wrote: »

and whos mac? and im not a goth lol

Thirdly it is worth coming from the uk you meet loads of great people and have a great time so come next year!!!!

ppd1000 on
  • Options
    MaccyMaccy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Goth Paul won't lower himself to using forums, I'm sure. :)

Hello, I'm Mac. You're not the Paul I know. Pleasure to meet you.

Maccy on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maccy wrote: »

Goth Paul won't lower himself to using forums, I'm sure. :)

Hello, I'm Mac. You're not the Paul I know. Pleasure to meet you.

Apparently there was enough people from the Uk to have 2 people named Paul.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmoniteaAmonitea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Foxy_Roxy wrote: »
    HEY FRENCHIE! call robert a nancy for me.

Nancy reporting in! Hope you all are doing well! Will be back next year (if all goes well) but hopefully as an enforcer... as long as people can understand my Jamaican (English) accent ;)

Amonitea on
This discussion has been closed.