As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    What stands out about Serious Sam that isn't in other shooters? I ask because the only thing I know about them from my (scant) research is that they are shooters. ;)

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    What stands out about Serious Sam that isn't in other shooters? I ask because the only thing I know about them from my (scant) research is that they are shooters. ;)

I think the main point about Serious Sam is that it's one of the only old-school style FPS series that is still being made today. Minimal scripting, huge hordes of enemies, maps you can get lost in, etc.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Had a free afternoon, so I played and completed Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter yesterday. What a great game! Felt great to play an uncomplicated FPS for a change. Just pure energy and action all the way.

I feel like I could get onto a classic/retro FPS spree for a while. Maybe do another Painkiller game, or finish the new Rise of the Triad, or perhaps...

I'm lighting the Drake signal! What's the best way to play the original Doom these days? I have all the titles on Steam, so I have the WAD files. I guess I'm looking to play with all the bells and whistles (modern UI, resolution, etc.) without disrupting the core gameplay (much). I've heard of Brutal Doom, but my understanding is that it changes the game up significantly. Thoughts and suggestions?

What you are probably looking for is Zandronum. Someone will probably pop up to say Skulltag, but that's dead. Zandronum is the new hotness.

If you want the DOSdoom experience then you want to play with Chocolate Doom.

The Doom Thread has a bunch of great info and stuff to try out too, and is a great place to ask general questions about Doom.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular

Ridiculous amounts of fun without annoying complications. The game basically serves you weapons/ammo/health between massive waves of enemies in order to keep the frantic pace of killing hundreds of enemies going and going until it gives you a short break.

That and the occasional, "Where the hell did that guy come from?!" scare to make sure you are keeping your finger on the trigger(/mouse).

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Also Serious Sam has tons of cool secrets and stuff and glorious coop. Occasionally one of the chats will dogpile a coop server or set up their own game. If you can get in on one of these sessions it is highly recommended.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    NaissanceE is one of the Weeklong Deals this week for $14.99.

Apparently I have it on my wishlist already but I can't remember who told me about it (@Drake, I'm looking in your direction <side-eyes emoticon> ).

The trailer looks neat but I cannot figure out what is going on.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Well, that all sounds interesting; it reminds me of the Earth section of Darksiders II in description, with hordes of enemies and big 'splosions and stuff.

I might have to try one at some point or another. ;)

• Options
    I think it was most likely @CheesecakeRecipe‌ who was talking about Naissence. I got excited for a second when I saw it in the sale, but it's only 25% off. I think I can wait a little longer for it.

And of course a few days after I buy Gigantic Army it gets a sale. :P Anyway, it's under 5 bucks now and it's totally dope, y'all. It's from the same guys who made Satazius. Buy this shit so we can get Armed Seven and Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser. Astro Port makes real awesome Doujin shit inspired by killer 80s arcade games.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Serious Sam exists for the thrill of killing thousands of things standing between you and the exit, capped with a boss fight that's about the size of a large building. It's the joy of cresting a hill and seeing a hundred angry dudes come charging at you, and being full on minigun ammo so you can start chipping away at the horde.

It's the glee of seeing a bunch of dudes get in a convenient line so you can kill them all at once with a cannon; a literal cannon. It's the mayhem of, as Drake wisely points out, getting a bunch of people together in delightful online co-op, which is the only game ever where "chainsaw phalanx" is a viable strategy.

It's pure, murderous, old school twitch shooter fun in a gorgeous engine where levels are huge and stuff blows up really damn good. I'm not sure I can put it more simply than that.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Stolls wrote: »
    Serious Sam exists for the thrill of killing thousands of things standing between you and the exit, capped with a boss fight that's about the size of a large building. It's the joy of cresting a hill and seeing a hundred angry dudes come charging at you, and being full on minigun ammo so you can start chipping away at the horde.

It's the glee of seeing a bunch of dudes get in a convenient line so you can kill them all at once with a cannon; a literal cannon. It's the mayhem of, as Drake wisely points out, getting a bunch of people together in delightful online co-op, which is the only game ever where "chainsaw phalanx" is a viable strategy.

It's pure, murderous, old school twitch shooter fun in a gorgeous engine where levels are huge and stuff blows up really damn good. I'm not sure I can put it more simply than that.

This for some reason reminds me of the explanation of Ratchet & Clank (the first one) by the designers themselves, being that at the heart of it Ratchet & Clank is about blowing shit up.

Edit: Which, combining the destruction level of Ratchet & Clank with the adrenaline rush of hordes of dudes rushing you in Darksiders II and combinging that with the pleasure of first person splattering them scattergun or minigun as a concept sounds awesome fun.

Also, I think I need to make a list/other slot on my database of Steam games of which games I have are Co-op, because I usually find horrible people in MMOGs and the like but alla you effers are amazing and I'd be pleased as punch to try out co-op stuff with all y'all.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    If you use the Enhanced Steam extension (in Chrome, at least) you can filter your library based on categories "Co-op", "Local Co-op", "Multiplayer", "Full controller support", etc.

Very handy once your library gets out of hand (especially since Steam doesn't allow you to assign a game to more than 1 category. The tagging helps though)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Doesn't mean we're good at coop. About 40% of the time I can be a liability! Dog save us all if Friendly fire is enabled.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    . . . Who says I'm good at co-op? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    If you use the Enhanced Steam extension (in Chrome, at least) you can filter your library based on categories "Co-op", "Local Co-op", "Multiplayer", "Full controller support", etc.

Very handy once your library gets out of hand (especially since Steam doesn't allow you to assign a game to more than 1 category. The tagging helps though)

But I already made this easily sorted database in Open Office and all . . .

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @Stolls has sent me Shadowrun Returns.

I'm not sure what it's returning from. I'll let you know when I return, if the classiness doesn't kill me.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    It has just occurred to me that there are no Vanillaware games on Steam. That's a real shame. I would love to be able to play Grim Grimoire, Odin Sphere, Muramasa or Dragon's Crown on PC.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    It has just occurred to me that there are no Vanillaware games on Steam. That's a real shame. I would love to be able to play Grim Grimoire, Odin Sphere, Muramasa or Dragon's Crown on PC.

Any of those games in full HD at a great resolution would be amazing. I fucking love Vanillaware.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    here's a giveaway...for reasons!

signature.png
    Open to GT Adventure Team contributors

This was one of the top wishlisted games among my friends list, so hop on it. It ends next Sunday at noon EST.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

I really wish Steam would just dump the database on your computer and let you make your own interface in something like Access. Enhanced Steam is great and all, but sometimes I feel like Steam is the worst program I have installed on my home computer. I'm no programmer and Office is more my speed, but I think I'd enjoy setting up all the functionality that bugs me every day when it's not there. Stuff like multiple categories, pasting a list of games and flagging the ones you already own, storing extra game keys somewhere that's not the inventory, multiple game activations, having trading card pictures, splash text, market information and a sell button all on one screen. I get that no one at Valve apparently wants to do any of this stuff, but I really, really do.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

I really wish Steam would just dump the database on your computer and let you make your own interface in something like Access. Enhanced Steam is great and all, but sometimes I feel like Steam is the worst program I have installed on my home computer. I'm no programmer and Office is more my speed, but I think I'd enjoy setting up all the functionality that bugs me every day when it's not there. Stuff like multiple categories, pasting a list of games and flagging the ones you already own, storing extra game keys somewhere that's not the inventory, multiple game activations, having trading card pictures, splash text, market information and a sell button all on one screen. I get that no one at Valve apparently wants to do any of this stuff, but I really, really do.

I'm using the open Office equivalent to Access known as Base, but yes, there is a feeling of . . . lack of order within the client.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I got into the steam music beta, but for some reason I can't get it to detect any of the tracks in my iTunes folder. Is anyone else in it that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    NaissanceE is one of the Weeklong Deals this week for $14.99.

Apparently I have it on my wishlist already but I can't remember who told me about it (@Drake, I'm looking in your direction <side-eyes emoticon> ).

The trailer looks neat but I cannot figure out what is going on.

That's been out for how many months now, and it's made in Unity, and still has no Oculus Rift support despite the devs saying they'd try to add it.

Too bad, too, the game looks like it'd be awesome.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If you bought the Humble Weekly: Celebrating Open Source bundle you will find a steam key for Planet Stronghold + its soundtrack DLC on your humble account.

Think a few here bought it because it had NEO Scavenger in the first tier.

Isorn on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Today is one of those days where a bad day becomes worse as it goes on. I hate days like today. I'm in a general funk, and I probably won't get out of it for at least four hours when I leave work and go to muay thai. I need something to do in the mean time to make me feel better.

Maybe this will do the trick:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Addendum: @Stolls also sent me Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Now to plot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Update: I have been listening to Zero Punctuation reviews for the better part of the day because aussies dumping on pretty much anything is fucking hilarious. I blame @RoyceSraphim‌ for this.

Now I think I shall take what is left of the day to play more Terraria. Oh look, another video . . .

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    As long as we are talking about oldschool FPS', let's talk Rogue Shooter. It is pretty much what it sounds like. You choose a starting class - there are tons, and they begin the game with anything from a katana (the Ninja) to a puppy launcher (the Inventor) to a good old fashioned minigun.
    9hx8ks4nwnah.jpg

You also choose a starting perk. I usually go with Bullet Binge:
    f6z8ccgkxved.png

You initially spawn in a safe room, which features an item/ammo/health/etc vending machine ala Borderlands and a work bench, where you can repair items which have lost durability. You return here after every few levels.
    genjnzwyqp6c.png

From there, you go shoot things!
    rxes9xdrtmp6.jpg

There's large variety in the enemies you encounter. Some will run up and try to grab you. Some will throw things at you. Some will work to protect other monsters. And so on. The gunplay is sweeeeeeeeeeeet! There are tons of different weapons, and lots of incentive to keep trying different ones. My favorites so far are the Shotgun Trident and the autopistols, which turn you into Jon Woo;
    bodycount-abettertomorrow2-431x300.jpg

RS1.jpg 108.9K
    RS2.png 584.7K
    RS3.jpg 133.1K
    RS4.png 592.7K
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of shooters, a little late update on the UT thing. The announcement will specifically be happening on Thursday, 2 PM EST on their Twitch channel.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/steams-store-is-a-hot-mess-1570672049

If we could customize the interface....then we would need a website to manage......nexus mods would do the trick......sorry, got lost dreaming about steam with a DX:HR interface.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I know this is the Steam Thread and all, but are any of you guys playing Infinite Crisis? It's really great and I prefer it over LoL. If anyone is, or is interested in playing, add me to you friends list. NAme is the same as here.

Also, if you haven't checked it out check it out here.

/endadvertisement

But seriously, I get lonely and would like some friends to play with so I'm not always running in the solo queue :)

Plus I launch it through Steam so I'm counting it :)

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [
    http://kotaku.com/steams-store-is-a-hot-mess-1570672049

If we could customize the interface....then we would need a website to manage......nexus mods would do the trick......sorry, got lost dreaming about steam with a DX:HR interface.

We never asked for this. *ahem*

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Guys. Guess which awesome game just got steam trading cards.
    puVYQuO.png

Who wouldn't want to craft badges of that game.

Isorn on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Guys. Guess which awesome game just got steam cards.
    puVYQuO.png

End times are upon us.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    puVYQuO.png

You monster

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    puVYQuO.png

Hahaha, that is awesome! I know what badge I'm crafting next! :p

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    puVYQuO.png

Hahaha, that is awesome! I know what badge I'm crafting next! :p

I'm going for level 5. Someone hold my beer.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    . . . I might need Bad Rats now.

No, I am not addicted to cards, I can stop whenever I want.

Then again, I'd probably just sell them in the market for pennies on the dollar.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Hey steam thread ... steam virgin here. Trying to figure out what this whole thing is about. Never had a steam account up until last week when I installed the client for a demo (Rochard) that looked interesting. So far I have gathered that there be awesome 'sales' and great indy content but how do you wade through all the noise content to find things that might interest you. Right now I am not even sure I want to go down this apparently slippery slope because I have little money and even less time ... please be gentle.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Hey steam thread ... steam virgin here. Trying to figure out what this whole thing is about. Never had a steam account up until last week when I installed the client for a demo (Rochard) that looked interesting. So far I have gathered that there be awesome 'sales' and great indy content but how do you wade through all the noise content to find things that might interest you. Right now I am not even sure I want to go down this apparently slippery slope because I have little money and even less time ... please be gentle.

Post a link to your Steam profile for friending purposes.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Oh dear child.

Brace yourself. There be a wild ride ahead!

<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Who will it be?
    Who will be the first?
    The very first?

To craft a Bad Rats foil badge...

The tried-and-trued method which many of us employ is to just sit around waiting for Drake to post, and then buy whatever it was he posted about. Often he doesn't leave us much choice.
    You'll see.

Sokpuppet on
This discussion has been closed.