As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Hey steam thread ... steam virgin here. Trying to figure out what this whole thing is about. Never had a steam account up until last week when I installed the client for a demo (Rochard) that looked interesting. So far I have gathered that there be awesome 'sales' and great indy content but how do you wade through all the noise content to find things that might interest you. Right now I am not even sure I want to go down this apparently slippery slope because I have little money and even less time ... please be gentle.

A quick and cheap way to explode your steam library is to keep an eye on game bundles from other sites. Most of them provide a key or link to be redeemed on Steam.

A personal favorite is http://www.humblebundle.com
    Which currently has a great co-op bundle as the weekly.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Hey steam thread ... steam virgin here. Trying to figure out what this whole thing is about. Never had a steam account up until last week when I installed the client for a demo (Rochard) that looked interesting. So far I have gathered that there be awesome 'sales' and great indy content but how do you wade through all the noise content to find things that might interest you. Right now I am not even sure I want to go down this apparently slippery slope because I have little money and even less time ... please be gentle.

Be sure to get one of these handy dandy Steamsigs for your profile, it makes it easier for people to find you and friend you.

Just head over to http://alabasterslim.com/signatures.php

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The way to filter out the noise is really, just read this thread. Usually if there's a new release that's interesting there will at least be one or two people stumping for it, and when sales occur, the same thing.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

A quick and cheap way to explode your steam library is to keep an eye on game bundles from other sites. Most of them provide a key or link to be redeemed on Steam.

A personal favorite is http://www.humblebundle.com
    Which currently has a great co-op bundle as the weekly.
    Absolutely this. Between the humble bundle proper and the weekly sale if you're coming into it not having a lot of steam games already the value/quality to money needed ratio is insane.
    The other bundle sites can be good too, but often it's more fringe titles packed together looking for some exposure or frankly sometimes some filler junk titles. Humble Bundles are often Grade A material.

Edit: Although I have to say right now at this very moment, there's nothing too exciting going on. The big action will come along with the Steam Summer Sale. I dug around a bit looking to cross a few more names off my list, but nothing jumped out at me as worth it at the moment.

akajaybay on
  • dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Incindium wrote: »

Post a link to your Steam profile for friending purposes.
    Wait ... what? :s ... Sorry I am an utter noob ... I can get that where? I am going to guess I grab that from my steam profile page ... or is there some other black magic that has to be cast for the provision of said link. I am a tech savvy person but I have no idea on how the 'steam' thing works.

Here goes nothing ... Profile?. Also is there a prefered method of finding PA friends other than looking for post with profiles. Also Also how do we let them know we are from PA steam thread.

[edit] ... dagnabit did that wrong ... lets try that again Profile

dipuc4life on
    NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @anoffday needs a foil Bad Rats badge.

In other, less monstrous news, Type:Rider is is $3.49. It's a solid little platformer that teaches you the history of typography. Literally.

More importantly, it has Steam cards. Font steam cards. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    More importantly, it has Steam cards. Font steam cards. :)

And one of them is Comic Sans!

camo_sig2.png
  • aurorasparrowaurorasparrow Registered User new member
    team fortress 2 and dota 2 are extremely popular free games available only on steam. Definitely check them out.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Guys. Guess which awesome game just got steam trading cards.
    puVYQuO.png

Who wouldn't want to craft badges of that game.

*sits back and watches friends list become self loathing as they all boot it up*
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Guys. Guess which awesome game just got steam cards.
    puVYQuO.png

Hahaha, that is awesome! I know what badge I'm crafting next! :p

I'm going for level 5. Someone hold my beer.

I think you are going to want that on your person at all times through this excursion...

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    signature.png

I'd like to jump in on this but I guess I need to be part of the group. Is it too much to ask how that is done?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This may be foolishness, but I grabbed Bound by Flame on GMG for $25 (coupon code 9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE for 25% off) and 15% off for preordering.
    It's probably crazy to not wait for a review on something like this, but I like to be bold - occasionally zesty - sometimes.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

To quote that magnificent piece of film, Half Baked,

"Ever take your clothes off and run backwards through a cornfield ?"

Replace corn with gifts and you'll get the picture.....

edit:
    @dipuc4life Use http://isthereanydeal.com/ to import your steam wishlist and compare across websites.
    Read the OP to learn tips and tricks that can be used to repair steam when it or your games break.
    Use http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home to see if any of your older games have fixes available.
    Here's a list of games you may already own that register on steam for free downloading: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Also, GOG.com never has steam keys, but steam copies of the Witcher can sometimes be redeemed on GOG.com
    Some games bought elsewhere online have steam keys in addition to those services.
    Use enhanced steam on chrome to improve your buying experience.

RoyceSraphim on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Isthereanydeal.com is a very nice site to find where the game you are looking for is cheap. It lists bundles at the top.

One of the nicest things about PC gaming is that with knowledge and a bit of patience you can get almost any game at high discounts.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So how bad is Lococycle?

Couscous wrote: »
    So how bad is Lococycle?

Is it bad? =(
    I thought it looked awesome and ridiculous when it was in the works. I had no idea it was coming (and now is on) steam.

• BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Thank you so much to @Isorn for Nightmares from the Deep! I've been out of town for a few days and have only just gotten back a few hours ago, so Isorn wasted no time in hitting me with this giftbomb! <3

There is just so much I don't know yet ... I don't even know which/what questions to ask.

I am guessing that the more established and popular games are not easy to get into for noobs like myself unless you get in from the ground floor or have someone willing to suffer through the initiation phase. That being said there is only so much twitch my brain can handle at a time, and even though both team fortress 2 and dota 2 look awesome I would probably get murdered ... literally.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    There is just so much I don't know yet ... I don't even know which/what questions to ask.

I am guessing that the more established and popular games are not easy to get into for noobs like myself unless you get in from the ground floor or have someone willing to suffer through the initiation phase. That being said there is only so much twitch my brain can handle at a time, and even though both team fortress 2 and dota 2 look awesome I would probably get murdered ... literally.

What kinds of games do you like?

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Getting murdered in TF2 is part of the fun, go for it. In DOTA 2 getting murdered is frowned upon.

Seriously TF2 is just pure, goofy fun. Jump in.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    signature.png

I'd like to jump in on this but I guess I need to be part of the group. Is it too much to ask how that is done?

Put a link to your profile somewhere and someone will (hopefully) help you out.

Everyone who doesn't have Vampire: Bloodlines better be entering that contest, by the way...

VampireTheMasqueradeBloodlinesMalkavianStopSign.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    You might want to consider the Valve complete pack whenever the summer sale happens. It gets a 50% discount usually and I think it has some excellent games for that price.

Isorn on

I envy you. So much Steam goodness ahead of you that you've not experienced, and so, so many amazing titles that are dirt cheap at this point.

And I agree with Drake. TF2 is ALWAYS a fun time. It even has a coop Horde Mode sort of thing now that is a good ole time with some buddies.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

It even has a coop Horde Mode sort of thing now that is a good ole time with some buddies.

I didn't even know this!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

It even has a coop Horde Mode sort of thing now that is a good ole time with some buddies.

I didn't even know this!

Oh fuck dude you kill robots and get robot hats.

It's fucking sweet.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Man, hats, the ultimate prize.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Last Knight
    Loading...?

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Guys. Guess which awesome game just got steam trading cards.
    puVYQuO.png

When I looked at this image, the fact it got cards surprised me a little, but what really shocked me is the "7.7 hours on record" in the top corner.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Too low?

sig.gif
  • DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular

I know it can get overlooked a lot, but the OP of this thread has some great information in it if you are new to steam and this thread in general.

If you are into indie games, there are lots of different bundle sites that will sell you packs of different games, with most providing a steam key.
    Some off the top of my head are:
    Humble Bundle
    Indie Gala
    Bundle Stars
    Groupees
    Blink Bundle
    Indie Royale

Outside of those, Amazon, Green man gaming (GMG) and Gamersgate offer regular sales too.

Let us know what type of games you like and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
    And Welcome to Steam.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This may be a long shot, but has anyone given Scania Truck Driving Simulator a go? Someone in the steam reviews mentions that just about the entire core experience is available in the demo (a non-steam demo, I presume). Can anyone confirm/deny? I'd love an excuse to polish my reverse trailer skills in a virtual truck

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Never played Vampire the Masquerade. I keep hearing it's good though, especially with the "insane" clan. Apparently they love breaking the 4th Wall?

Right now I play bl2 sometimes online with my brother and I guess I like more sci-fi or fantasy stuff. Love adventure, like strategy and RPGs. Always willing to do some good co-op as long as fun is the name of the game. When people get super serious about a game I think it's time to step back. Used to play a lot of army of 2 and re5 on ps3 co-op. Never really got too much into FPSs on the PC side though since most of my PCs have been crap. Funny thing is that I have a nostromo that I rarely use and I can't say that I am great with kbam ... I am passable. I get stuck on games and never really finish unless I have friends who I can jump in and have fun with.

Penny Arcade just seems like a great place to get into things like steam (which I have never tried before) so I figured I might want to jump in ... now I fear for my life (what's left of my social life anyway).

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    b8ADlda.jpg

IT BEGINS

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Right now I play bl2 sometimes online with my brother and I guess I like more sci-fi or fantasy stuff. Love adventure, like strategy and RPGs. Always willing to do some good co-op as long as fun is the name of the game. When people get super serious about a game I think it's time to step back. Used to play a lot of army of 2 and re5 on ps3 co-op. Never really got too much into FPSs on the PC side though since most of my PCs have been crap. Funny thing is that I have a nostromo that I rarely use and I can't say that I am great with kbam ... I am passable. I get stuck on games and never really finish unless I have friends who I can jump in and have fun with.

Penny Arcade just seems like a great place to get into things like steam (which I have never tried before) so I figured I might want to jump in ... now I fear for my life (what's left of my social life anyway).

Can you give some title-based examples of games so people can bury you in similar games make suggestions?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    signature.png

Put a link to your profile somewhere and someone will (hopefully) help you out.

Here'tis: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Santa_Claustrophobia/

I'd played VtM PnP (GURPS) some time ago. My character was Malkav and their particular insanity was that 'grey was destroying the world'. Good times.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @dipuc4life‌ Be fore warned that when you buy packs for which there is a game you already own, more often than not, you will not get duplicate copies of those games. This is for those game packs you buy on steam.

Buying game packs from other services that yield individual codes will yield this problem.

Buying game packs that yield single codes will still have this problem.

How to find your codes on Amazon.

Go to your account
    scroll down to digital content
    Click: Your Games and Software Library

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Post a link to your Steam profile for friending purposes.
    Wait ... what? :s ... Sorry I am an utter noob ... I can get that where? I am going to guess I grab that from my steam profile page ... or is there some other black magic that has to be cast for the provision of said link. I am a tech savvy person but I have no idea on how the 'steam' thing works.

Here goes nothing ... Profile?. Also is there a prefered method of finding PA friends other than looking for post with profiles. Also Also how do we let them know we are from PA steam thread.

[edit] ... dagnabit did that wrong ... lets try that again Profile

Ok so now accept my friend request and/or check your PA PM's...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    b8ADlda.jpg

IT BEGINS

I seriously debated hitting the "Report" button for this.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    b8ADlda.jpg

IT BEGINS
    Look at what you've all done. Look at what you caused.

LOOK AT YOUR CREATION AND WEEP!

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.