As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ArcheAge] Sate your inner criminal. Early Release! Ollo Server! West/Nuia Ho!

Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
Adventure in an open-ended MMORPG freed from predefined paths and progression. Build massive castles and lay claim to lands whose riches fuel a deep, player-driven economy. Band together to protect your fortune in epic siege battles and naval combat – or live the life of an outlaw, prying glory and coin from foes left in your wake.

Important Issue Fix:

It appears if you having error 2028 go through the change password system and it will fix the issue.

Dates Announced:

Head Start: September 12th - 16th

Launching: September 16th!
Welcome to the world of ArcheAge!

This is a "sand box" MMO developed by the folks who brought you Lineage. It is currently being localized by the people who brought you Defiance and Rift. The game is being referred to as a SandPark MMO online because it combines several elements from both common MMO paradigms (sand box and themepark). I will do my best to cover all areas of the game currently present but as it stands now the game has a TON of content available, as a preexisting game, and so I will add in coverage of the content as I can find suitable write-ups and/or YouTubes. My personal experience in the game is still very early game oriented and so I am still researching all that I can do in this game. The game has a heavy F2P wall associated with it currently but with Trion stating they wish to "westernize" the F2P experience there is reason to rejoice and, in the least, be excited with what is to come.

Note:
Unless you are lucky enough to have received an Alpha invite the only way you can currently get into the game is though a hefty pay wall. Founder packs are currently available but to get into the Alpha you will need to pony up $150. There are three tiers of packs currently available with the lesser two giving you access to the betas upcoming this summer. It is also worthwhile to note that the Founder packs offer many exclusive items, in game currency, early release access and other goodies!

Where can I watch!?
There are currently a plethora of individuals streaming this game as well as many videos present on YouTube. As the beta is out there should be issue with finding videos of current gameplay. :)

Bullet points:
  • The entire world is shared. The entire population builds, gathers, lives in one large world.
  • Not limited on class creation. Over 100 combinations of classes. Swap classes at any time on your first character.
  • Almost no restriction on player building. If you want to be a plate wearing, two-hand axe wielding, caster you can.
  • Old-school style world travel. Teleporting is expensive.
  • Player driven world PVP. You can attack anyone, even your own faction, rob and steal to your hearts content. With little restriction.
  • Player driven economy. Grow materials in your own personal space, craft and sell.
  • All XP is shared. If you craft or gather the XP goes to your base level.
  • Quests are everywhere!

Some resources:

http://arche-base.com/ for your spec building needs.

http://archeage.gamepedia.com/ArcheAge_Wiki a wiki!

VERY helpful guides for resources and where to go to get those important early resources (Farms, Donkey):

First Farm and Donkey:
http://archeagefurniture.com/small-scarecrow-and-donkey-quest-walkthrough-west/

Larger Farm:
http://archeagefurniture.com/large-scarecrow-quest-walkthrough-west/

Jubal77 on

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Guild Information:

wipesPz.png

Arr. Guild crest for your ships. Officers to contact in game will be posted soon.

Guild: Merchwater Inc
    Server: Ollo
    Continent: Nuia

TeamSpeak: finalack.com ( or 23.239.18.188), Port: default - leave blank, Password: PA's Usual Password for these things

If you don't know the TS3 password PM Sonork, Arthil (we can tell you)

Housing Location/Plan:

Below is a housing plan for the community. If you need more information feel free to contact an officer or post here.

First choice is a cozy little spot beside the river in southern Lilyut, it's directly beside the waterfall which leads into Dewstone which then leads to the sea.
    ugisBqb.jpg
    lnUk8D5.jpg

Second choice is Dewstone itself, which has two nice spots right near the ocean.
    EItIX1N.jpg
    hZao7BH.jpg

Finally there's Two Crowns, no screenshots of how it looks but lots and lots of open green hillside plus the housing area reaches all the way down to the white-sand beach itself.
    annNA1Z.jpg

The only downside to any of this is that it is all near/within the Feuille Sound, the center of which is considered open sea. While the benefit of easily blockading the ocean between Burnt Castle in Cinderstone and Crescent Throne in Silzreed might help keep Haranyan's out, the same people will need to be watched closely as they might prey on their own faction as well.

Building Location Screenshot:

xQHyl48.jpg?1

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Reserved

• Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Been waiting for someone to make a thread for this. Still interested in checking it out, despite initially hearing about it two (?) years ago.

Mainly just want to put together a crew of A-Team esque heroes and go hunt the most dangerous game.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I have yet to complete my boat. And from what I hear in chat consistently is that the Seas are not very safe right now. :) But that is why you bring friends with you! Over all I havent been addicted to an MMO like this for a good while.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    This looks awesome. Tell me more.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sadly I ran out of time for tonight. I will add more info tomorrow. Until then I recommend heading into one of the streams listed in order to see more detailed play. There is just too much info to sift through and edit in right now. :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    There is a lot about this that does look amazing. I've had an eye on it since the Korean beta I think?

At any rate, the feature list pushes all the right buttons for me and I'll certainly be checking it out when I can.

Best part about this is that the feature list isn't a wish list. It's already out, just being localized. :D

edit- For those who may be put off by PvP there are some caveats to it.

As I recall there is one continent where it is full blown PvP and it is also the continent where whole guilds may build cities and fight for resources. (I don't think there are any NPC towns on it, though I may be mistaken).

The other two continents (one for each faction) are not full on PvP. However there are certain areas on each that are. These are usually positioned along Trade Routes and unless you are doing Trading you probably won't have to worry about it. Still, I think you can be attacked by the opposing faction, but NPC guards can help you.

The open seas are PvP. Though if you got a ship you probably have friends to help crew it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'd totally be a pirate catman.

Black Whiskers, they call me!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    any idea about crafting in this game? its pushing the right buttons so far, but what I really want is something to replace the crafting system SWG had, that scratches so many feel good spots in my mind

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    From my understanding, it's almost as complicated as SWG was. I mean let's say you want to build a house, right? Well you're gonna need all the materials to build that house, from wood/brick/etc and composited in various ways for the frame, roof and foundation and such. I also recall it getting built up in stages, obviously going faster if you have help.

Hold on. @TheKoolEagle‌ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCUSkbamPh8#t=67 That video shows the process.

• Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    I'm very interested in this one too. That said, I'm really put off by the pay-for-beta-access scheme they're running. The game is already developed, it's not like "founders" will have any input on features or systems. Seems like a blatant cash grab.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    any idea about crafting in this game? its pushing the right buttons so far, but what I really want is something to replace the crafting system SWG had, that scratches so many feel good spots in my mind

The crafting is a complete "normal" system. There are 21 total crafting "classes" that let you make everything from food, machines (travel mounts etc), placeable crafting benches, housing items etc etc. By normal system I mean you collect mats by either gathering mats or farming them on your private farm. As you level the crafting classes there are some recipes that require crafted items from other crafting classes. It is pretty straight forward. The crafting though tends to use up your labor points more.

Labor points are a system put in to try to limit bot action in the game. As you level you gain a larger pool of labor points. Crafting, gathering and farming ALL use labor points. At 29 I have around 1500 points. Gathering an iron node or tree takes up 10 or less points per. Crafting lower tier items can take up up to 50 points. Crafting some of the higher items can take up to 500+ points per combine. But you will not be doing many of those combines at all. There are also other items they put in the game as drops that spend labor points. The most common of these are the various tiers of pouches. These are lottery items that commonly give you base currency. I have heard tale of someone getting 1000g from one of the upper tier pouches but I have only ever received a few silver and some minor crafting mats.

You regenerate 5 labor points every 5 minutes of real time and do not have to be online to regen them.
    Mandres wrote: »
    I'm very interested in this one too. That said, I'm really put off by the pay-for-beta-access scheme they're running. The game is already developed, it's not like "founders" will have any input on features or systems. Seems like a blatant cash grab.

For what it is worth it is not just going to be a direct translation according to Trion. There are elements to the game that are complete P2W in Korea (such as Gilda Stars which are used to buy your different house, ship, other big item plans) that they intend to make grind able in the game rather than only available with real money purchases. And to me I do not have an issue with P2P Alphas/Betas. Just as long as they give you a proper compensation. As an Alpha player you get to play the game 24/7 AND get all of those bonuses. I hear the betas will be Weekend betas (ala Wildstar). So it seems they are following that model.

RE Pvp areas
    @axen Yes you have it correct. The PVP areas on each continent are clearly marked as red. And depending on how much is going on there in the way of PVP when you hover over the area on the map it will give you the "danger level" associated. Although the PVP areas tend to have the best quest oriented loot from what I hear.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    joomanjiijoomanjii San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I really want to play this but paying $150 for early access is a tad bit excessive. Once the price goes down though to something reasonable I will be your First Mate Jubal! :)

Final Fantasy XIV: Alethia Tamarie
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'd totally be a pirate catman.

Black Whiskers, they call me!

I shall join this buccaneering crew as pirate catman Jean Lapaws

edit- Bikeman did a rather extensive video on ArcheAge. Answers quite a few questions and shows off a lot of mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uYtipph5ho

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I remember watching the leaks of this around the time of SWTOR release. I'll have to check back in and see what the system is like.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Hm this looks pretty cool. Not $150 for early access cool, but pretty cool.

• Options
    I will work on this OP a bit more this weekend. This week has been kind of a pain for free time. In the meantime click the spoiler below if you want to watch a creepy, awesome, laugh inducing, never makes you want to venture into the high seas video!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Trion also recently moved their Trove founder packs to a more reasonable pricing level so there's hope they'll do it for this as well when the buying frenzy slows down.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Been playing the alpha for a bit, got to level 25.

Its pretty fun so far. The world design and combat leave something to be desired though. I love sandbox MMOs though, so we'll see.

The world is just so flat and boring it seems. Hopefully it's meant for the sandbox elements to fix that with players building the world up some.

The class system is pretty flexible at least and I can enjoy that. Its not exactly what I would expect in a sandbox MMO, but it certainly gives you choices in how you tab target combat.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    What they promise reminds me of Shadowbane, which I hear from my friends that it was incredible.

I just signed up for beta. If this game turns out to be as good as rift, I'm definitely going to be playing this game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    hey, is there a PA community/guild set up in ArcheAge yet?
    where are people playing and who are you? I want to find some people to play with.

I have rerolled a few times but currently have a L15-ish Bloodreaver on west.

• Options
    So far the game isn't really keeping me interested. It does have some real cool sandbox features and PVP.

My guild seems to love it, with running packs and doing shit on boats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    What they promise reminds me of Shadowbane, which I hear from my friends that it was incredible.

SB was my first MMO. It definitely shaped a lot of my expectations of what an MMO should be. But also what it should not. It had a great premise and executed some of it well. But it was also a game with a lot of problems, and worse, a lot of early bugs/exploits that drove players out of the game.

I've always wanted a SB successor (DF missed on a number of fronts) that improved upon the parts of SB that fell short. I've followed ArcheAge from time to time, not really sure about it.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've been waiting for this MMO since like forever. Like when FFXIV 1.0 was released. And then I promptly forgotten about it. I might skip on this for a bit because I think I got my friends hyped for Black Desert instead of Archage when we were talking about Archage.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    It has been a long time, because the Korean version has been out and apparently failed as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    One of my other gaming groups is shitting themselves over this game. Expecting 150 to join, about 60 have been in the alphas up to now.

Some of the features sound interesting. The craft system sort of reminds me of SWG.

Personally, I have played a few Korean MMOs and have not been impressed with how they end up.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    The more I watch this game, the more I like it. The only bad thing is, I have Camelot Unchained alpha coming up, Wildstar Live in June, and I started playing WoW again.

I heard that this game will be released in August somewhere, not really fair on my part.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Well, it is F2P, so at least you can dabble in it a bit, guilt free.

That's my plan anyway, and if it ends up taking the spot of one of my other games, then so be it. It's just mmo natural selection.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    While the game presents nothing new to the scene so do pretty much all of the MMOs as of late. The combat while nothing special is deeper than Wildstar in customization and I like the combo system. And it will most likely cause common builds to occur for PVP and the like there is a great shot at still being good at what you do and not being the norm. The world is empty but I believe that to be a by product of being able to do all of the different transportation methods available in the game. Namely gliders might be a bit on the laggy side if all areas were densely populated with fauna. And, TBH, the later maps are built much better for atmosphere. And so they might have left the earlier zones a bit plain to help with character loading and such as they will be the most densely populated with all of the farms, houses and people.

There are quests everywhere. Tons and tons of them. And while it is traditional leveling and the questing and is generally easy it offers you overachieving as well as the best implementation of multiple target quest completion in games to date. Instead of having quests where you have to go out and kill 8 of 1 type of mob and 8 of another and collect 5 ground bits these quests typically have a completion meter of 100 points. With mobs giving a certain amount of points and ground bits as well. When you reach 100 points you are done unless you want to overachieve. And with any combination of the requirements.

There is no lack of stuff to do in this game. With the farmville farming, trade routes, treasure hunting, stealing other peoples trees, ganking random people in pvp zones, water travel, glider travel, car travel, horse, donkey, cats, mount breeding, pet breeding etc etc. There is just too much to do in this damn game. Which is why filling out the OP has been a daunting affair.

Edit: And the game did fail in Korea and Russia but it did have several pay to win aspects that Trion intends to get rid of. And after what they did to Rift, easily the best F2P implementation out, there is reason enough to at least see what they do.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The combat while nothing special is deeper than Wildstar in customization and I like the combo system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not super insanely hyped for Wildstar. I think its a solid MMO and will play it as long as it keeps my interest. However Wildstar has WAAAAAAY more customization when it comes to stats, skills, talents, combat, etc. when compared to Archeage.

Archeage just has class mixing where you pick some skills from each and have a rather low limit, which creates build variety. Thats it. There is no changing how skills work or any way to alter the "role" of a class.

Everything else about Archeage is fantastic though, the crafting and sandbox elements, the PVP... its all extremely well done. The combat and character progression is so god damn basic, which is why I'm not putting many hours into the beta. The PVP guild I go with on games like this are all over the thing though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Wildstar has a rigid class based system though. You only need one character in ArcheAge. You are limited to just a few of the abilities in Wildstar but in ArcheAge you can not take any passives you want and have full on skill bloat. Also while you can choose what you want in terms of stats they mean just the same nothing they do in AA. Depending on what you build you will be choosing one or two key stats in both games so they mean nothing. The combat is essentially the same just no ground affects. And while it will be great in raids it doesnt mean much outside of dungeons or raids and and perhaps pvp but meh for me.

I guess to me the class combo system creates more customization on the character than Wildstar does. Just a personal opinion since I think all other avenues are the same or reasonable so.

• Options
    Honestly? I've never liked the thought of having just one character.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I said you only need one character doesnt mean you have to do it. Depending on how they do character slots it would be advisable to do more than one to a point. You can have more protected farms in the world and such. Edit: And TBH the amount of grinding you ahve to do in this game to do anything "special" like a boat or house or the like it is rather nice that you can level up all of the classes on one character.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Wildstar has a rigid class based system though. You only need one character in ArcheAge. You are limited to just a few of the abilities in Wildstar but in ArcheAge you can not take any passives you want and have full on skill bloat. Also while you can choose what you want in terms of stats they mean just the same nothing they do in AA. Depending on what you build you will be choosing one or two key stats in both games so they mean nothing. The combat is essentially the same just no ground affects. And while it will be great in raids it doesnt mean much outside of dungeons or raids and and perhaps pvp but meh for me.

I guess to me the class combo system creates more customization on the character than Wildstar does. Just a personal opinion since I think all other avenues are the same or reasonable so.

Well the thing is, you still simply choose a class in Archeage. Yes you can swap between a mix of 3 classes on a single character, but when it comes down to it, each class is a very defined role. Every skill does exactly what it says and there is no altering that. This is very typical of korean based MMOs.

The combat is way different, not sure where that comparison is coming from. Although I think TERA is still the king of MMO combat, Wildstar still has full free form combat. If I do a leap attack in Wildstar I have to aim it, if I do one in Archeage I have to tab target something and it homes in on the target.

I don't think any goals of Archeage are having the best character customization or combat, they went with something safe so that they could focus on the sandbox and PVP elements. These elements are why I am actually more interested in Archeage in the long run. I've got to around level 30 in the alpha and if I were to judge the game on character customization and combat alone, I wouldn't even bother with the game... its those other elements that make it fun.

I'm going to play Wildstar on launch, but I have no clue how long I'll play. I'm not sold on the game long term yet, but if it hooks me then cool. Same with Archeage, hopefully the long term PVP and sandbox stuff works out. The last two games that tried sandbox were Darkfall and Mortal Online and they didn't do so hot. EVE is still king of the sandbox MMO department.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I meant that you can swap out classes at practically any time. Creating new dynamics in the combo system. It is quite fun and, to me, offers much more than the traditional MMO layout that wildstar does. Class choosing in Wildstar is very safe. Depending on what trees you go down you will select a gear set. In ArcheAge at least it offers you the option of selecting Archery/Occultism/Defense and wear int/spi plate if you so desire. And you will still get by just fine as one of the trinity. That is much deeper than selecting PVP/DPS/Heal/Tank or a hybrid of two of them (most commonly with PVP attached) as you do in Wildstar.

I guess we are both just brushing off parts of each game as safe or simple where the other thinks it is not. :) I think one of the goals of AA was to keep the combat simple but offer as much in the customization of how you play the class in combat as they could. And to me it is much deeper than Wildstar. Don't get me wrong the freeform combat in Wildstar is great but in the end it just comes down to pointing yourself at a mob and doing limited dodges to get out of the traditional red on the ground as it is cast. Outside of PVP and the harder content anyway. And I agree Tera is still the king over Wildstar on the freeform combat. That is true freeform combat right there.

• Options
    As far as "deep character customization goes" I don't consider either Archeage or Wildstar as that special. It just seems to be what came up in dicussion. I don't want to sound like I'm defending Wildstar... its a vastly different game since Archeage is a total sandbox. I just find how each skill has "tiers" that change how it works, along with the amps that provide very strong passives... it provides more meaningful descisions than just picking skills from 3 different classes like in Archeage.

Its actually been a long time since I've seen an MMO with the kind of customization I want. EVE and Saga of Ryzom are yet to be replaced in my mind... ESO and Secret World did a great job in that regard.

What I'm really going to compare Archeage to is the last few sandbox PVP games, Darkfall and Mortal Online. Having played the alpha a bit, its already totally beaten them in how polished all the sandbox mechanics are.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Neither game is the level of Secret World. That was a beauty. I am happy with AA at the moment. And yeah I am well aware of "changing" how abilities work in Wildstar. I am still not sold that it does anything meaningful outside of PVP. As for Raid content I feel it will end up being the traditional "you build your Engi this way for min/maxing" aspect that is all MMOs built around PVE content tend to do. Thanks for the convo badwrong. :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Oh I totally agree that Wildstar will end up like that as far as builds go for min/maxing.... hell looking around their forums it already has some pretty defined builds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    From what I've seen, I dislike the massive reliance on the open sea. Pirates included.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Soo..why does signup require your first and last name?

This discussion has been closed.