As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can anyone give me the skinny on Perpetuum?

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    FYI - Humble Bundle Store is doing some sort of Spring Sale which currently includes Batman: Arkham Origins for $7.49. There is a whole bunch of other stuff on sale too but that one only lasts like another 8 hours

And Metro: Last Light - Complete Edition for $13.32

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    This work week has been like last week, shitty and long. Newell save me!

steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So Stardew Valley still isn't out yet but a recent dev update has the music for the game posted on Soundcloud and its all pretty excellent.

https://soundcloud.com/concernedape

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    FYI - Humble Bundle Store is doing some sort of Spring Sale which currently includes Batman: Arkham Origins for $7.49. There is a whole bunch of other stuff on sale too but that one only lasts like another 8 hours

Towerfall for $10 and Shadowruns for $5 are both super tempting too...

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular

Whoops, heads up if yer gonna buy Outlast from Steam's midweek madness, it's cheaper on this Humble Store sale.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

Whoops, heads up if yer gonna buy Outlast from Steam's midweek madness, it's cheaper on this Humble Store sale.

My favourite is that Orcs Must Die 2- Complete is on sale for $12 at the Humble Store but it's also currently part of the weekly co-op bundle at the $6 tier. Heck, for another $4 you also get Risk of Rain and it will still be cheaper than buying it in the store.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Aaaaaaargh. Legend of the Endless for half the price I'd get it on European Steam in Nuuvem, but my Paypal is on the fritz for various reasons until like the end of next month when I get back from Sweden. And Nuuvem doesn't seem to accept straight credit card - it's either Paypal or some Brazilian version called PagSeguro. Argh argh argh.

Well, those who have Paypal, you got it there for less than 13€, so if you're interested, snap it up while it lasts.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

This part is very interesting to me:

"Note we have put no DRM in Transistor unless you count Steam as a form of DRM. Once you’ve downloaded the game from Steam, you don’t need Steam to be running in order to play."

I didn't know you could do that. I assumed anything purchased through Steam would then require you to have Steam running to play. That's actually kind of good to know. Are there other games that do this?

Something very useful would be a list of games that could run without steam. I know ARMA 2 is one of them, maybe some of the older ones that run with DosBox.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Thanks to @bloodatonement‌ for cheering me up, and code dropped NBA 2k14 on me! Thank you so much!

steam_sig.png
  • ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    Oh well but fun seeing Arkham Origins for $7.49, a little over a month after I bought it on Steam.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Basically anything that doesn't have steamworks integrated can be launched independently. Even some games with Steam Cloud can still be but they get funky with save slots, particularly if you run them via steam again later.

Things that use your Steam account to link to their account, even if it isn't Steamworks, can also be hit or miss. IIRC I tried running some UPlay games I had on steam via Uplay directly and it didn't take that very well; but that was some time ago.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I had a mostly terrible weekend with brief bits of respite and somehow in there I had forgotten to pick up Shadowrun while it was on sale. Today has largely been a panic, but I did see a PM come in from @akajaybay. Lo and behold, it came with a shiny new copy of Shadowrun!

Skyrim will probably continue to keep my backlog from shrinking for a while, but as soon as I'm in need of a change, Shadowrun will be right near the top of the list. Thanks so much!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The Big List of DRM-Free Games on Steam

List of DRM-free games

EDIT: Also, from here:

FAQ:

Q: But Steam is DRM!
    A: That's not a question. And it isn't technically true. Steam's DRM solution (called "CEG" by Valve) is just one of many Steamworks components game developers may use, alongside achievements, cloud saving, the workshop, matchmaking network code etc.; just like with all the others, implementing it is not required to distribute a game on Steam. A game can use the other Steamworks features and still remain DRM-free.

Q: How do you determine if a game is DRM-free on Steam?
    A: Simple: install the game and launch it once (this step is important, because this finalises the installation). Shut down Steam and temporarily move all the files in the root Steam folder somewhere else. Locate game folder, locate the .exe, run it. Either you get an error message (or it does nothing at all), or the game just runs. If it just runs, it is DRM-free.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Humble store also has the Walking Dead Season 2 on sale for a little over $16. I really regret buying it at launch, but it's good so far, especially the second episode. Titanfall is $10 off on Amazon too, though I'd recommend waiting for it to be $30 or so; it's decent but is a little too content short and derivative of the CoD multiplayer you've probably already had your fill of to be worth a full price buy imo.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

This part is very interesting to me:

"Note we have put no DRM in Transistor unless you count Steam as a form of DRM. Once you’ve downloaded the game from Steam, you don’t need Steam to be running in order to play."

I didn't know you could do that. I assumed anything purchased through Steam would then require you to have Steam running to play. That's actually kind of good to know. Are there other games that do this?

Something very useful would be a list of games that could run without steam. I know ARMA 2 is one of them, maybe some of the older ones that run with DosBox.

None of Arcens games use Steam's DRM. A lot of Paradox games too.

The list of games that do this is surprisingly large. I wonder how complete it is?

But yeah, this is why it has always bugged me when people say that Steam is DRM. They offer a non-intrusive DRM service but they don't force it on companies that want to sell their stuff on Steam.

edit: so beated

Drake on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    @Kalnaur‌ won both Crayon Physics and LIMBO
    @Visskar‌ won Crayon Physics
    @Sorce‌ won Dust: An Elysian Tail
    And Cave Story+ went to @Jazz‌ I think based on the email.

Your codes are all in your inboxes, enjoy!

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    The Big List of DRM-Free Games on Steam

List of DRM-free games

EDIT: Also, from here:

FAQ:

Q: But Steam is DRM!
    A: That's not a question. And it isn't technically true. Steam's DRM solution (called "CEG" by Valve) is just one of many Steamworks components game developers may use, alongside achievements, cloud saving, the workshop, matchmaking network code etc.; just like with all the others, implementing it is not required to distribute a game on Steam. A game can use the other Steamworks features and still remain DRM-free.

Q: How do you determine if a game is DRM-free on Steam?
    A: Simple: install the game and launch it once (this step is important, because this finalises the installation). Shut down Steam and temporarily move all the files in the root Steam folder somewhere else. Locate game folder, locate the .exe, run it. Either you get an error message (or it does nothing at all), or the game just runs. If it just runs, it is DRM-free.

This is awesome, @Scratchy, thank the poster.

an_alt wrote: »
    I had a mostly terrible weekend with brief bits of respite and somehow in there I had forgotten to pick up Shadowrun while it was on sale. Today has largely been a panic, but I did see a PM come in from @akajaybay. Lo and behold, it came with a shiny new copy of Shadowrun!

Skyrim will probably continue to keep my backlog from shrinking for a while, but as soon as I'm in need of a change, Shadowrun will be right near the top of the list. Thanks so much!

I got hit as well! Thanks @akajaybay‌. I've been helping a co-worker with a college math class which killed my gaming free time. The final was yesterday so I'm now ready to get some more gaming in so the timing was perfect. I loved the Genesis game way back when.

As a side note - I can't recommend Pool Nation highly enough. It's beautiful and absolutely wonderfully approachable and easy to learn - to the point that I got kicked off for my 9 year old son to take over. It goes on sale quite often so even if the subject doesn't totally interest you it's worth picking up and giving it a shot.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I now I have two bonbcast games. DS 2, and luftrausers. Thanks 40% off!

• OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    Orivon wrote: »
    Haven't given out a game for a while, getting the shakes, I know, let's have a contest.

Back in December I held a contest where folks had to send in a story related to RPG gaming in some way. Nearly every entry I got had something along the lines of them doing this for twenty or thirty years and how hard it was to pick just one story to tell. Considering this it seems there are still plenty of stories that haven't been told.

The prize is the (second*) most wanted game among my friends, Child of Light. To win it PM me a story involving you and an RPG, be it video game or tabletop based. Best story will receive the game on steam.

Also, if you have a story in mind, but are thinking
    I'm not entering this because backlog and because other people deserve to win it more than me

you can still enter. If you don't want the game for yourself you can enter and nominate someone else to receive the prize if you win.

The contest ends a week from now, May 12th 9:30 am EST.

The reason its the second most wanted game is the most wanted game is Blackguards and I wanted to hand out a different game this time.

Daily reminder. Keep sending those entries in!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    You might want to consider the Valve complete pack whenever the summer sale happens. It gets a 50% discount usually and I think it has some excellent games for that price.

Especially when you consider that Valve keeps adding games to it.

Just to clarify, when you buy the Valve complete pack, you only get the games that are in the pack AT TIME OF PURCHASE. You aren't entitled to future games that get added to the pack down the road. At least, that's my understanding, just wanted to throw that out there in case people misinterpret.

Oh, totally. What I mean is that every time a new Valve game is released, it gets thrown into the pack and the price doesn't change. Over the past few years L4D2, Portal 2, and CS:GO have all been added and the price hasn't gone up.

If it wasn't $100 it would basically be the "Steam Starter Pack".

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh well but fun seeing Arkham Origins for $7.49, a little over a month after I bought it on Steam.

Yeah, I bought it for $16 on sale from Gamefly back in March. Seeing it on sale at this price would bother me more if I hadn't already played through it, so I don't feel too badly about that purchase.

Also, man. The Sonic Hit Collection in the Humble Store sale is ridiculously good value. I mean, Sonic Generations alone would already be more than worth the seven bucks asking price, but then you also get All Stars Transformed (which is amazingly fun) and a metric gallon of nostalgia of all eras from Sonic 1 to Sonic Adventure

If I didn't already own 75% of that collection I would totally hit that thing. As is, I need to find someone in my friend list who doesn't have Generations and throw it at them instead.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Flockers looks awesome. And gorgeous.

camo_sig2.png
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I just had to submit a steam support ticket because I'm tired of big picture mode forgetting that I have games installed on my second hard drive and trying to redownload them to my main drive. I have stared into the abyss and wept.

Now to wait to months for a response by which time I will have completed downloading a second copy of my game, one for each hard drive, because that's why you have two right?

@LostNinja

I could be misunderstanding the problem, but I think this can be easily solved.

Pick a game it's trying to redownload, go to your steam folder (the one that has it already installed), copy and paste said folder somewhere else for safe keeping. You may want to pick a smaller, less important game to try this out.

First see if you can stop the download without uninstalling (though you probably already tried, not sure if it can even be done), then uninstall. Check to see if it removed both downloads. If it has, put previously copied folder back where it should be then reinstall the game on that drive. Steam should find the game already there and won't download much, if any, files.

I've backed up a lot of my steam games by just copying the folder over to another drive and putting it back when I wanted to reinstall. It works fine for any game that hasn't been updated since it was copied.

edited May 2014
    And now it's happening on Humble Bundle. I can't buy until the last day because stuff might go on daily. Don't worry QuestRun and Halo: Spartan Assault, you'll be mine soon. I do wish that I could filter by what's on sale and then filter within that to show the dailies first though.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    And now it's happening on Humble Bundle. I can't buy until the last day because stuff might go on daily. Don't worry QuestRun and Halo: Spartan Assault, you'll be mine soon.

I was surprised how fun Spartan Assault was.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Aaaaaaargh. Legend of the Endless for half the price I'd get it on European Steam in Nuuvem, but my Paypal is on the fritz for various reasons until like the end of next month when I get back from Sweden. And Nuuvem doesn't seem to accept straight credit card - it's either Paypal or some Brazilian version called PagSeguro. Argh argh argh.

Well, those who have Paypal, you got it there for less than 13€, so if you're interested, snap it up while it lasts.

Did the math and this comes to 17.95 in U.S. currency. Tempting, but no chance I'll get to the game until Winter Sale at best.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    And now it's happening on Humble Bundle. I can't buy until the last day because stuff might go on daily. Don't worry QuestRun and Halo: Spartan Assault, you'll be mine soon.

I was surprised how fun Spartan Assault was.

I figure for $5 base I'll be fine either way since I like Halo and dual-stick shooters. Good to know that I'll be getting a fun one for cheap though!

camo_sig2.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Dark souls 2 beated.
    I ....I dont know what to do with my life now...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Flockers looks awesome. And gorgeous.

That seems like some sort of unholy mix of Sheep and Lemmings.

...which sounds pretty cool, overall.

Is that a new barnyard animal themed game?

I had the display box from Sheep in my game room for a long time. Gamestop gave it to me as I explained to them I really like games with farm critters.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Dark souls 2 beated.
    I ....I dont know what to do with my life now...

New game +!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited May 2014
    My sister in law is Indian and has inspired great disdain in my heart concerning the lack of video games accurately using Indian culture. The Bollywood dance sims barely scratch the surface, out of hundred of years, cultures, empires, Civilization is the only one to due them justice? Come on! Humorous as Nuclear Power Ghandi is, I can't help but look at this picture and ask why I don't have chakra throwing, dual wielding swordsmen in Mount and Blade? They're holding extra ammo on their hats, THEIR HATS!

Also, is the Napoleonic Wars DLC worth it and is Fire and Sword Fun?

RoyceSraphim on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Thanks to @bloodatonement‌ for cheering me up, and code dropped NBA 2k14 on me! Thank you so much!

Post some feedback when you get the chance. I didn't even know that there were NBA games on steam. It prompted me to give a quick look for other major sport PC games like NHL or MLB. Sadly it looks like they don't really releases sports games on PC anymore. Which is a real shame. So if NBA 2k14 is any good I might pick it up.

• ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular

Yeah, I bought it for $16 on sale from Gamefly back in March. Seeing it on sale at this price would bother me more if I hadn't already played through it, so I don't feel too badly about that purchase.

Same, I think I had it complete within a week after picking it up during the last steam sale it had, so no big deal, especially since I don't think I could've foresaw a Humble Spring sale heh.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    I have learned to accept that sometimes games I buy full price will be heavily discounted on Steam a week later

Tis the will of the Newell and such

steam_sig.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    2k14 is pretty good, though for unknown reasons the PC version uses the 360/PS3 engine instead of the shiny new one.
    If you played 13 not much changed, a d a gamepad is heavily recommended.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.