As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    I have learned to accept that sometimes games I buy full price will be heavily discounted on Steam a week later

Tis the will of the Newell and such

:o You buy games at full price?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Thanks to @bloodatonement‌ for cheering me up, and code dropped NBA 2k14 on me! Thank you so much!

Post some feedback when you get the chance. I didn't even know that there were NBA games on steam. It prompted me to give a quick look for other major sport PC games like NHL or MLB. Sadly it looks like they don't really releases sports games on PC anymore. Which is a real shame. So if NBA 2k14 is any good I might pick it up.

It's on sale over at Amazon right now. Steam Key

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So has anyone actually played Bound by Flame at PAX or anything?

What I'm looking for is someone to tell me that it's bland and boring so that I don't buy it.

Because it looks great, kinda Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur/Witcher esque and it's painfully tempting to take that 15% discount.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    If you were an owner of The Whispered World on Steam then now you also own the recently released The Whispered World Special Edition for free!
    Exclusive content of the special edition includes an alternate ending, a tutorial, developers' commentary featuring Jan 'Poki' Müller-Michaelis and Marco Hüllen, as well as the in-game orchestral soundtrack, unlockable achievements, and re-polished graphics in some scenes.
    The original version, which apparently had some technical issues, has been removed from the store. Old savegames from the original version won't be compatible with the special edition.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    If you were an owner of The Whispered World on Steam then now you also own the recently released The Whispered World Special Edition for free!
    Exclusive content of the special edition includes an alternate ending, a tutorial, developers' commentary featuring Jan 'Poki' Müller-Michaelis and Marco Hüllen, as well as the in-game orchestral soundtrack, unlockable achievements, and re-polished graphics in some scenes.
    The original version, which apparently had some technical issues, has been removed from the store. Old savegames from the original version won't be compatible with the special edition.

You forgot the most important addition: it has cards now! :smiley:

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    BigThanks to @BigDes!

yb8Ik5P.jpg

Per my year of not accepting games, I appreciatively declined. Which honestly is for the best because I'm a colossal wuss when it comes to scary games (cf. my Amnesia playtime...)
    L1IMPxo.jpg

Thanks very much, BigDes! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Thanks to @bloodatonement‌ for cheering me up, and code dropped NBA 2k14 on me! Thank you so much!

Post some feedback when you get the chance. I didn't even know that there were NBA games on steam. It prompted me to give a quick look for other major sport PC games like NHL or MLB. Sadly it looks like they don't really releases sports games on PC anymore. Which is a real shame. So if NBA 2k14 is any good I might pick it up.

@Dissociater‌
    Will do!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    How the hell does something as awesome looking as this get within 2 days of release and I've never even heard of it?

WHY WAS I NOT TOLD?

This looks and sounds fabulous.

I am disappoint nobody told me about it.

DISAPPOINT!

Edit: I mean really! “Bound by Flame is like Mass Effect set in a Medieval fantasy world." WTF? Why not just rip my heart out?*

*Nevermind, I don't have one.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    How the hell does something as awesome looking as this get within 2 days of release and I've never even heard of it?
    For anyone tempted by it, you can get it cheaper at http://www.greenmangaming.com by using this 25% discount code: 9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

WHY WAS I NOT TOLD?

DISAPPOINT!

Edit: I mean really! “Bound by Flame is like Mass Effect set in a Medieval fantasy world." WTF? Why not just rip my heart out?*

I don't get why you would want to "resist" the demonic influence, though. That part doesn't make sense to me. Let a demon take over or not? Who the fuck doesn't let the demon take over? Some people have messed up priorities.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Because we had to let Bad Rats have some center stage again.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Also, is the Napoleonic Wars DLC worth it and is Fire and Sword Fun?

The former, yes, the latter, no.

Napoleonic Wars is a fantastic multiplayer DLC which basically has big ol' battles going on with lots of players with muskets and cannons and stuff. If you have any friends to play it with, do (I'd play). Playing on your own is fun I guess, but having a couple of friends help you man a cannon to take down the wall of a star fortress is pretty cool. One person manning the cannon itself, aiming carefully and firing as and when able. A second player reloading the cannon as quickly as possible after each shot, and a third equipped with a spy glass watching for projectile impact and calling out adjustments (also watching out for enemies coming to try to take the cannon).

There are many people who like to join regiments and do pitched battles. I've never done this. What I can wholeheartedly recommend are the sieges. There's a flag in the fort, you need to take it/defend it. Attackers have unlimited spawns, defenders... don't.

Then there's the extra cool stuff. Not all the soldier classes available are designed for combat roles. It is perfectly acceptable to march into battle slowly, men with muskets to the front, behind whom can be men playing drum, flute or bagpipe, or waving their flag around. These extras actually provide buffs to those around them, such as faster reload (for gunpowder muskets, that's a big deal).

I still consider my favourite memory playing Napoleonic Wars was playing as British forces attacking a French fortress town. Me and a bunch of others did not fancy running at the front of the fort. No. A group of about 10 of us all crammed into a single rowing boat and sailed around the back. This almost sounds smart except for the fact that two of our elite stealth flanking marine troopers were playing bagpipes as we went. So it was fun having shot and cannon ball whiz past our over-packed, slightly-sinking rowing boat of well spirited troops until one lucky Frenchman actually managed to hit the boat.

Cue 10 flustered Redcoats graciously flopping into the water with about as much grace as one might expect. Two of the men expressed how miffed they were over their headsets that their masterful rendition of Scotland the Brave was cut short in their moment of glory. As we washed up on hostile shore in front of the fort walls we realized our gunpowder was wet. But we were not to be dissuaded, we'd just have to stick it to the French the old fashioned way.

So, bayonets attached, we cut down the postern gate and stormed the rear of the fort, at a severe disadvantage of having no shots to fire against an enemy who most definitely did. Yet, within a few minutes of bagpipes playing and soldiers screaming, the Union Flag flew from the centre of the fort. A fine day.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options

WHY WAS I NOT TOLD?

DISAPPOINT!

So has anyone actually played Bound by Flame at PAX or anything?

What I'm looking for is someone to tell me that it's bland and boring so that I don't buy it.

Because it looks great, kinda Fable/Kingdoms of Amalur/Witcher esque and it's painfully tempting to take that 15% discount.

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Silly Question: where do you guys get info on sales and stuff? Is it posted in the steam client, steam website, or some other website?

Also thanks to @Viking‌ , @Iolo‌ and @Incindium‌ for all the help getting pointed in the right direction. I am a little less 'noob' in matters steam and the world is a better place LOL.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    For anyone tempted by it, you can get it cheaper at http://www.greenmangaming.com by using this 25% discount code: 9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

Oh. Hey, and that's cumulative with the 15% off, brings it down to $25.50.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am waiting for some impressions on Bound by Flame. The developer's previous endeavours have been fairly mediocre despite sounding great on paper.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    So You Have to Win the Game in on Steam now for free. Pretty fun for what it is (old-school platformer), bit of metroidvania style to it (though only 4 upgrades). The game gets tough fast though, got to a screen where there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth and gave up. It's not unfair in a IWBTG way though, just has sudden spikes in difficulty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Silly Question: where do you guys get info on sales and stuff? Is it posted in the steam client, steam website, or some other website?

This thread :)

The steam website and in-client store page are the same, there is another deal site that I've forgotten the name of that shows current deals across multiple sites.

Edit: found it http://isthereanydeal.com/

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And now I own Bound by Flame as a dear friend of mine just gave it to me as an early birthday present. Yay friends-who-game! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    And now I own Bound by Flame as a dear friend of mine just gave it to me as an early birthday present. Yay friends-who-game! <3<3<3
    Reeeeeealy? interesting....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    BigThanks to @BigDes!

yb8Ik5P.jpg

Per my year of not accepting games, I appreciatively declined. Which honestly is for the best because I'm a colossal wuss when it comes to scary games (cf. my Amnesia playtime...)
    L1IMPxo.jpg

Thanks very much, BigDes! :)

Well, since @Iolo is unable to accept this gift, someone else is gonna get it

Right when they least expect it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Also, man. The Sonic Hit Collection in the Humble Store sale is ridiculously good value. I mean, Sonic Generations alone would already be more than worth the seven bucks asking price, but then you also get All Stars Transformed (which is amazingly fun) and a metric gallon of nostalgia of all eras from Sonic 1 to Sonic Adventure

If I didn't already own 75% of that collection I would totally hit that thing. As is, I need to find someone in my friend list who doesn't have Generations and throw it at them instead.

*looks at list*

If I didn't have all of that except the racing on some platform or another already, I'd buy that in a heartbeat... that's just an amazing list.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Speaking of birthdays, I just missed @Dyvim Tvar's because he was being coy about the precise date. So he apparently feels safe with a hobbit-gifting...

graymatter.jpg

No backsies?

Equally apparently, he has never heard of the tried-and-true American tradition known as the Belated Birthday Gift.... ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Naw man, naw.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    To be fair, No backsies is a binding contract.
    lolritesteamthread

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    lolritesteamthread
    as a rules lawyer I can safely say that "No Backsies" means you cant give that specific gift back under any circumstance.... however there is nothing stopping someone gifting a different thing in return.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    @Kalnaur‌ won both Crayon Physics and LIMBO
    @Visskar‌ won Crayon Physics
    @Sorce‌ won Dust: An Elysian Tail
    And Cave Story+ went to @Jazz‌ I think based on the email.

Your codes are all in your inboxes, enjoy!
    Woo!

Thanks for putting on the Giveaway, duder!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »
    lolritesteamthread
    as a rules lawyer I can safely say that "No Backsies" means you cant give that specific gift back under any circumstance.... however there is nothing stopping someone gifting a different thing in return.

I'm pretty sure he's lying.
    Who are you going to believe in this instance, him or me?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I am waiting for some impressions on Bound by Flame. The developer's previous endeavours have been fairly mediocre despite sounding great on paper.
    I was gonna post that you might want to reign in the expectations a bit as well. The UI looked familiar in the trailer. It's the same folks that made Mars War Logs. Which was not bad, I played through the whole thing and enjoyed it. Some of the companion options, choice stuff looks reminiscent of Mars as well. It's just unlikely it's Witcher/Mass Effect levels of awesome.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War is on Steam and comes out in 19 hours.

a) This is out of nowhere but is fantastic and b) Okay now I need Freespace 2

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    I need Freespace 2 on Steam so I can play Freespace Open! I know they're on GOG and I own FS2 from there, but I'm weird in that I like to have a lot of my games on my Steam account.

Sob24Nm.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I need Freespace 2 on Steam so I can play Freespace Open! I know they're on GOG and I own FS2 from there, but I'm weird in that I like to have a lot of my games on my Steam account.

I own the original CDs, I own it on GOG and I would buy it again in a heartbeat on Steam.

That game is so worth it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    lolritesteamthread

Don't you people make me drag out my contract law book now... :p

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Thank you so much to @Isorn for Nightmares from the Deep! I've been out of town for a few days and have only just gotten back a few hours ago, so Isorn wasted no time in hitting me with this giftbomb! <3

Nightmares from the Deep is pretty fun. I've been on a hidden object kick since getting addicted with Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders (gifted to me by the incomparably classy @Elin). If you've ever looked at HO games and thought "nah, not for me", you owe it to yourself to give one a spin! You might be surprised! I love booting up a hidden object game when I'm in a gaming slump.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Pixelated Pixie‌ just completed a strafing run against me that left me with a copy of Luftrausers.
    Clearly "no backsies" was not the protection I was hoping for.

Pixie is classy people, let all be aware of this.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Brutal J wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I just had to submit a steam support ticket because I'm tired of big picture mode forgetting that I have games installed on my second hard drive and trying to redownload them to my main drive. I have stared into the abyss and wept.

Now to wait to months for a response by which time I will have completed downloading a second copy of my game, one for each hard drive, because that's why you have two right?

@LostNinja

I could be misunderstanding the problem, but I think this can be easily solved.

Pick a game it's trying to redownload, go to your steam folder (the one that has it already installed), copy and paste said folder somewhere else for safe keeping. You may want to pick a smaller, less important game to try this out.

First see if you can stop the download without uninstalling (though you probably already tried, not sure if it can even be done), then uninstall. Check to see if it removed both downloads. If it has, put previously copied folder back where it should be then reinstall the game on that drive. Steam should find the game already there and won't download much, if any, files.

I've backed up a lot of my steam games by just copying the folder over to another drive and putting it back when I wanted to reinstall. It works fine for any game that hasn't been updated since it was copied.

It never actually uninstalled the original download, it just stopped recognizing it when I went into the game in my library (or clicked the shortcut on my desktop) and would start downloading a new version onto the main drive.

I started fiddling around with it last night after I posted that, apparently all I have to do is cancel the download it is trying to do and then start it like a cold install and specify the steam folder on the second hard drive that the game is already on. Steam then recognizes it again and then after like ten minutes of verifying I'm good to go again.

It's still a weird bug that they need to do something about though.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    childoflightdlc.jpg

Soooo... @Dyvim Tvar.... It's to be a duel then?

I can work with that. Mmhmm...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Thank you so much to @Isorn for Nightmares from the Deep! I've been out of town for a few days and have only just gotten back a few hours ago, so Isorn wasted no time in hitting me with this giftbomb! <3

Nightmares from the Deep is pretty fun. I've been on a hidden object kick since getting addicted with Season of Mystery: The Cherry Blossom Murders (gifted to me by the incomparably classy @Elin). If you've ever looked at HO games and thought "nah, not for me", you owe it to yourself to give one a spin! You might be surprised! I love booting up a hidden object game when I'm in a gaming slump.

@Elin is indeed very classy. (The forums were picking up that parethesis as part of the name for some reason, @HeirTransparent )

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
This discussion has been closed.