As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RIP Bob Hoskins

124»

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VnHAy1Vdc

This behind the scenes video of Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit before any effects are put in really show how insanely good he is in that movie

6F32U1X.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FYI, Hook is on Netflix streaming as of today.

BLM - ACAB
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    FYI, Hook is on Netflix streaming as of today.

Yesssss

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VnHAy1Vdc

This behind the scenes video of Bob Hoskins in Roger Rabbit before any effects are put in really show how insanely good he is in that movie

The fact that they were able to get Bugs and Mickey or Donald and Daffy together on screen at the same time is still pretty fantastic to me.

BLM - ACAB
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    roger rabbit is just such an insane confluence of things

from a narrative, stylistic, intellectual property, acting standpoint

everything about it screams that it should not exist or work, but it does

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The reason they show up on screen at the same time for the same duration is because part of the agreement was that no company's lead character would have more screen time than the other. That's why Donald and Daffy enter and leave the scene at the same time and why Mickey and Bugs do the same.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    And it wasn't just Warner Bros. and Disney. A ton of companies went in for the movie. As per wikipedia:
    Spielberg convinced Warner Bros., Fleischer Studios, King Features Syndicate, Felix the Cat Productions, Turner Entertainment, and Universal Pictures/Walter Lantz Productions to "lend" their characters to appear in the film with (in some cases) stipulations on how those characters were portrayed ... Apart from this agreement, Warner Bros. and the various other companies were not involved in the production of Roger Rabbit. However, the producers did not have time to acquire the rights to use Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Little Lulu, Casper the Friendly Ghost or the Terrytoons (except Mighty Mouse) for appearances from their respective owners (King Features, Turner, Western Publishing, Harvey Comics and Viacom).

I mean it's crazy.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    Seriously. There will never be that kind of conglomeration of famous toons ever again.

The Saturday morning anti-drug special does not count.

BLM - ACAB
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My boyfriend has never seen Hook. Guess what we're watching right now.

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    I know that Hook is not considered good. I know that intellectually is a fact. I have no ability to understand of conceive of why. I just don't and can't see it. The production design is outstanding and everyone (except Julia Roberts) is so immersed in their character. Bob Hoskins being one of the greatest examples of this. It is thoroughly in my nostalgia blind spot.

Also Rufio. Just Rufio.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hook isn't considered good?

I mean it's pretty much good across the board, I don't see what sorts of problems you'd have with it (unless you were a Peter Pan purist, I guess)

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hook is a modern masterpiece and anyone who says different is a dead-hearted monster with a cold soul, bereft of all happiness.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hook has a lot of problems.

But I couldn't care less.

My relatives have problems and I still love them...

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I don't like Hook, but that deadhearted monster thing fits pretty well.

Fuck off and die.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hook is a modern masterpiece and anyone who says different is a dead-hearted monster with a cold soul, bereft of all happiness.

What about Spielberg himself?

He is publicly not a fan of the film
    Spielberg: "I wanna see Hook again because I so don't like that movie, and I'm hoping someday I'll see it again and perhaps like some of it."

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The biggest flaw of Hook is the stuff with the Lost Boys. You have weird goofy cartoon character things going on when the Lost Boys are fighting the pirates, then the one that has some serious daddy issues that could have been explored emotionally given that Peter needs to learn how to be a supportive father is flat out murdered in the same fight... it's just tonally all over the place. There are all these pieces that could have made Peter's character arc make sense but instead of using those, they use these weird contrived one-off moments and all of Peter's good decisions at the end basically come from him remembering he is a magical flying person.

Bizarre movie with good moments.

Ceno on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hook is great. Just don't over think it.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hook is technically a bad movie, but, it's also really fun and enjoyable

Oh, @Peter Ebel, why don't you just go suck on a dead dog's nose.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The Boo Box

Grey Ghost on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Seriously though, how good did that feast look?

Lost Boys eat well

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    BANGARANG

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    BANGARANG

Stop trying to make Bangarang a thing.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    BANGARANG

Stop trying to make Bangarang a thing.

YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i know having him juxtaposed to the cartoon antics helped a bit, but Hoskins pulled off the "hard boiled" private detective really well. if he was in an actual noir film doing the same role, i could see it being a really good performance.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    i know having him juxtaposed to the cartoon antics helped a bit, but Hoskins pulled off the "hard boiled" private detective really well. if he was in an actual noir film doing the same role, i could see it being a really good performance.

I'd argue Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a full on film noir story.

Like it hits every beat.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

I'd argue Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a full on film noir story.

Like it hits every beat.

i'm gonna assume he means a non-comedy film noir

which yeah that woulda been preeeetty damn aces

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The Boo Box

Teh3rP0.gif

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

BANGARANG

Just gonna drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65PiKsNhCsc

Goatmon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The Boo Box

Teh3rP0.gif

Oh Glenn Close...

• Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    At my parent's house there is a small section of the construction that juts out from the rest of the house that is basically a closet with a door at either end. When they remodeled the house from its early 20th century construction, they had to tack on this little 5x5 room to fit a water heater, and it evolved into a tool shed. When we moved into the house, my little brother and I, upon discovering the tiny "room" and the fact that it was full of spiders and other bugs, decided to call it "The Boo Box."

Years later we're hauling a bunch of earth out of the back end of the lot, redoing the entire patio area, and I ask my mom where I can find a trowel or similar tool so I can start prying paving stones out of the ground. My mother replies "It's in the.. <drops her voice to a whisper> the boo box."

I look at my mother for a moment. "Mom, why did you just whisper the words 'Boo Box.'"

My mom looks toward the house of our closest neighbor, a family which just so happens to be Black. "Well," my mom continues in a low voice. "It's kinda... racist, right?"

Queue a look of instant shock on my face. "No, Mom, swear to Christ its not racist. It's from the movie Hook, you know, with Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams, you know, the Peter Pan movie from the 90s."

"It's... its not racist?"

"No mom, its not racist."

"You're sure?"

"No, see, the boo box is full of spiders and bugs and in the movie they put a pirate into a chest and drop scorpions in there with him as punishment, it is known as 'the boo box.' It's some kids-movie shit. Nothing to worry about."

"Oh, well that's a relief."

TL:DR my mom thought for several years that "The Boo Box" was a term grounded in casual racism.

TL:DR 2.0/revelation upon writing this post: My mom used what she considered a possibly racist term for like two fucking years.

Goddamnit, Mom.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    Ahahahahah.

edited May 2014
    @Goatman, you know Hook was originally planned to be a musical?

Zonugal on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Hook in quite some time, but it's a special movie to me.

I don't know if this occurred more than once, or if it was on a sick day or a break from school, but I strongly remember catching it (having seen it before) on TV on a cold November or December morning, with the sun breaking through my curtains and a strange feel of comfort in the air.

I just really like how even thinking of that movie kind of takes me back to a really calm moment in my life. Just a pure simple moment of enjoying a movie and relaxing during my childhood. It's right up there with those special Christmases or Birthdays, and it was just a lazy morning watching Hook.

Zonugal wrote: »
    @Goatman, you know Hook was originally planned to be a musical?

I did not!

That is pretty neat!