As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo - Her games, her systems, her luscious curves.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I think of the 2DS - looks completely not-portable, with a minimal price difference and the exact same screens as the normal model... And half the price difference is eaten up by a case you will need to protect the screens from scratches because it doesn't fold shut.

Seems... odd. But who am I to judge?

I'm not sure how big a deal the not-folding is. My old smart phone didn't have a cover, and it was fine. My first GBA had no cover, and it was fine. It does appear to be the ugliest handheld console ever released. Like... ugh. The increased portability and decreased GAAAAH-factor of the 3DS is definitely worth an extra $50.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I use the shit out of my Wii U.

Primarily for Netflix and Hulu. :?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Seems like a bad sign when Nintendo's next-gen console is reacting to upcoming console releases as if it was a last-gen console.

Early-released current-gen systems react to same-gen console releases all the time.

There's plenty of criticisms of the Wii U to be made, but that's a pretty weak sign of, uh, weakness.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

My WII-U works for shit with Netflix, I wish I knew why. It is sitting right next to my PS3 but takes like 4-5 times as long to buffer up a movie.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I think of the 2DS - looks completely not-portable, with a minimal price difference and the exact same screens as the normal model... And half the price difference is eaten up by a case you will need to protect the screens from scratches because it doesn't fold shut.

Seems... odd. But who am I to judge?

Also seems like they'd have a hard time marketing it. Difficult sale to parents who see "2DS" and "3DS" next to each other when their kid wants a new vidja game system for Christmas.

On the other hand, if it sells well, will developers stop supporting the 3D feature?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Seems like a bad sign when Nintendo's next-gen console is reacting to upcoming console releases as if it was a last-gen console.

Early-released current-gen systems react to same-gen console releases all the time.

There's plenty of criticisms of the Wii U to be made, but that's a pretty weak sign of, uh, weakness.

The 360 didn't have a price drop when the PS3 and Wii launched. Sony didn't drop the price on the PS2 when the Xbox launched.

Sega's Dreamcast did have a price drop prior to the domestic launch of the PS2, though. :)

Admittedly, Sega's financial situation in 2000 was a lot different than Nintendo's now, but it's hard to see a price drop on the WiiU as a good sign.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    BSoB wrote: »

My WII-U works for shit with Netflix, I wish I knew why. It is sitting right next to my PS3 but takes like 4-5 times as long to buffer up a movie.

My Wii has never been able to get a strong enough signal to do anything online. It's sitting right next to my 360 and the cold, empty spot where my PS3 used to reside, and they were both fine. I live in a complex, so maybe there's too much wi-fi interference. I can see a Mii parade, but Netflix has never come close to working and online gaming was a non-starter.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Who, in their right mind okayed the 2ds?

Casually Hardcore on
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    Who, in their right mind okay end the 2ds?

You mean who "okayed it"?

I'd say whoever noticed that Pokemon X and Y are coming out in October, and that families with multiple kids are going to be interested in inexpensively settling fights over who gets to play what, when.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Man, I've been spending so much time with the Wii U, it's weird to think its not doing well.

Granted, it's largely Netflix and Earthbound, but that tablet is basically part of my at-home attire.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Who, in their right mind okayed the 2ds?

I have no issue with the concept but the button layout is atrocious and theres no cpp support so ots basically worthless to me

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    WiiU is getting an exclusive on Takahashi's next Xeno game. I don't care if I have to pay for it in kitten scalps, that's a console I was eventually going to own. And since its selling like shit I was able to buy it already for $250, which is a reasonable price for a secondary console.

The tablet is useless aside from offscreen play though. Of course I love the shot out of off screen play, so I'm good.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Eh, I get the idea of the 2DS being for really young kids. The thing is very probably neigh-unbreakable thanks to the unified form factor, as well as the slanting shape to emphasize a heavier, reinforced end more likely to suffer the brunt of being dropped or hit or whatever. Also, thanks to the weirdo shape, it will be much, much harder for the thing to get lost, misplaced, or snuck off with. The 2DS won't disappear in a couch and will be hard to hide in jackets and the like. The odds of your kid breaking it, losing it, sneaking off with it, or it getting stolen by other kids, are not high.

THAT SAID, I question exactly how many people with young kids are going to decide that their seven year old needs a DS, but is not ready for a regular one, but instead of waiting until they are ready for a regular DS, getting them this thing.

I guess you buy a 2DS because you think it will keep your kid from trying to play your 3DS.

EDIT: Autocorrect, you are dead to me now. 'Surfer' the brunt of being dropped, indeed.

Linespider5 on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The first part of your post is probably correct. The answer to the second part of your post is:

Because 3D is bad for little kids, it's cheap, and 'cause Pokemon.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The Wii-U tablet lets me turn on my TV with my game remote.

This makes it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If it could actually change the TV input for my particular TV, I would probably invite it to replace my wife in bed.

Currently it can only tantalizingly bring up the input selection menu, but not do anything with it.

Eh, I get the idea of the 2DS being for really young kids. The thing is very probably neigh-unbreakable thanks to the unified form factor, as well as the slanting shape to emphasize a heavier, reinforced end more likely to suffer the brunt of being dropped or hit or whatever. Also, thanks to the weirdo shape, it will be much, much harder for the thing to get lost, misplaced, or snuck off with. The 2DS won't disappear in a couch and will be hard to hide in jackets and the like. The odds of your kid breaking it, losing it, sneaking off with it, or it getting stolen by other kids, are not high.

THAT SAID, I question exactly how many people with young kids are going to decide that their seven year old needs a DS, but is not ready for a regular one, but instead of waiting until they are ready for a regular DS, getting them this thing.

I guess you buy a 2DS because you think it will keep your kid from trying to play your 3DS.

EDIT: Autocorrect, you are dead to me now. 'Surfer' the brunt of being dropped, indeed.

Your seven year old is not ready for the 3DS because the older brother broke the hinge on his DS years ago.

If it could actually change the TV input for my particular TV, I would probably invite it to replace my wife in bed.

Currently it can only tantalizingly bring up the input selection menu, but not do anything with it.

For my television I just press the numbered shortcuts. Is that not on all televisions?

I... don't know? Shit, now I have to check..

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    I don't know, I think this is smart. This gets the hardware into impulse-buy territory, and I'm betting it really will be appealing to families: their key demo.

I'm almost surprised there isn't a bundle containing two 2DSes, one copy of Pokemon Y, and one copy of Pokemon Z, sold for maybe $299.99. It would probably sell better than the WiiU.

Seeing as I own 3 of the ~11 games that currently support the circle pad pro, I guess it's time to get one of those hooked up. Stupid Gamestop naturally only carries the standard and not the 3DSXL style. Do I buy the Japan import with Prime shipping off Amazon, or just get the straight up American product from Nintendo's site?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The year of Luigi was a bit of a bust, but maybe the year of Birdo will bear stronger yields.

http://www.avclub.com/article/year-luigi-generates-456-million-loss-nintendo-204364

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Well, their new strategy should help - go after emerging markets .

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just like they planned to do with their tablet controller.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Just like they planned to do with their tablet controller.

Actually, this strategy has been pretty successful in China.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm not hoping they fail.

Other than price point, I'm not sure why Nintendo would think they'd fare better in those markets than they have in others if Sony/MS are in competition as well. Granted, China is poorer per capita than the US/EU/Japan markets, but it's my understanding that there's also a smaller share of middle-class consumers.

Atomika wrote: »
    Other than price point, I'm not sure why Nintendo would think they'd fare better in those markets than they have in others if Sony/MS are in competition as well. Granted, China is poorer per capita than the US/EU/Japan markets, but it's my understanding that there's also a smaller share of middle-class consumers.

Exactly. And I'm guessing the "new" tablets will have features removed that won't be overly-missed by the target countries in order to make them more affordable. Like cutting online or such.

Emerging markets are also the new frontier for smartphones, as everyone (except Apple) is rushing to make cheaper models for those markets. So, it's not a new idea.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The year of Luigi was a bit of a bust, but maybe the year of Birdo will bear stronger yields.

http://www.avclub.com/article/year-luigi-generates-456-million-loss-nintendo-204364

All Luigi's fault.

Tell you what Nintendo, you wanna make money based on a guy in green? Have a year of Zelda. Get your people to put out at least 1 good zelda game every year or even 2.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Now that we're back to bitching about Nintendo, we may as well consider that quality of life... thing... they're developing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/satoru_iwata_announces_a_quality_of_life_platform_business_of_non_wearable_technology

• Panic ButtonPanic Button Robo-cannibal Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

All Luigi's fault.

Tell you what Nintendo, you wanna make money? Have a year of Zelda and get your people to put out at least 1 good Zelda game every year or even 2.

The best part of this idea is that it can help them branch out in what they do with the Zelda series. I'm certain we've all heard the familiar complaint of Zelda being nothing but rehashes; this is hyperbole, but not to an absurd degree. If Nintendo puts out multiple "traditional" Zelda games each system cycle, they run the risk of hitting the bottom of the well. With multiple titles they can please fans of the series and people looking from something new, especially given that fans of established Zelda tradition are unlikely to skip a major console release for the franchise, even if it is an oddball.

Or they could give Retro Studios another crack at Metroid. Just sayin'.

Drawings and short stories: sketchatron.tumblr.com
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Metroivanielda. You heard it here first.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Now that we're back to bitching about Nintendo, we may as well consider that quality of life... thing... they're developing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/satoru_iwata_announces_a_quality_of_life_platform_business_of_non_wearable_technology

what in the fuck

jesus christ, nintendo

this is not difficult

LEAVE THE HARDWARE MARKET
    FOCUS ON SOFTWARE
    DEVELOP FOR SONY, MICROSOFT, AND APPLE PLATFORMS
    MAKE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nintendo is like that smart friend who keeps coming up with bizarre get-rich schemes that never work instead of just buckling down and getting a real job.

"But if I short sell bitcoin on an Indonesian exchange before currency markets open"

no. bad.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    It sounds like a Wii Fit console.

Jesus, Nintendo. Seriously. What the hell.

edited May 2014
    Feral wrote: »

what in the fuck

jesus christ, nintendo

this is not difficult

LEAVE THE HARDWARE MARKET
    FOCUS ON SOFTWARE
    DEVELOP FOR SONY, MICROSOFT, AND APPLE PLATFORMS
    MAKE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nintendo is like that smart friend who keeps coming up with bizarre get-rich schemes that never work instead of just buckling down and getting a real job.

"But if I short sell bitcoin on an Indonesian exchange before currency markets open"

no. bad.

That sounds awesome until you look at their financial data and realize that most of their money (and by most I mean nearly all) comes from hardware sales, not software. The reason the Wii U has been so hard on the company is actually because of their inability until recently to not sell it at a loss. They also spent a huge amount on technology acquisitions and other misc investments recently (new facilities, expanded teams, etc). So their current strategy in the future is to branch out just enough so that if they do have a similar situation in the future (where each piece of hardware sold is a loss) it doesn't negatively impact the company's overall financial health. However, having said that it will still be their main source of income.

In other words posts like this are just silly as they would represent a huge reduction in both the size of the company and the amount of income.

Mblackwell on

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Virtual Fit Boy

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they are 90% of the way there

they sponsored bayoneta 2

now all they need to do is give platinum games a MASSIVE foundation so that they never have to negotiate with a publisher again and give them a carte blanche to make whatever the fk they want

obF2Wuw.png
    they are 90% of the way there

they sponsored bayoneta 2

now all they need to do is give platinum games a MASSIVE foundation so that they never have to negotiate with a publisher again and give them a carte blanche to make whatever the fk they want

We may love Platinum's titles, but they are decidedly not chart toppers. MGS:R and Bayonetta did well, while TW101, MadWorld, and Anarchy Reigns.. not so much? And Vanquish somewhere in the middle there?

I'd worry about the sort of money black hole Nintendo would be financing there. Remember when Reggie was all "hey, we gave you M rated games, and you didn't buy them!" after MadWorld flopped?

I'm beginning to come around to the idea of Nintendo's console development going to third party. I don't think they ever will, but the market just isn't looking for a new system to play CodBlops on, and I think the Wii U has shown the viability prospects of a purely 1st-party console (and it's not great).

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to come around to the idea of Nintendo's console development going to third party. I don't think they ever will, but the market just isn't looking for a new system to play CodBlops on, and I think the Wii U has shown the viability prospects of a purely 1st-party console (and it's not great).

Yeah, it's hard to get somewhere when nobody wants to develop for your system because they think it'll flop. Surprisingly, that doesn't help it succeed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy