As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    On the main screen you can click your name in the bottom right hand corner to edit it.

xet8c.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Here's a really stupid question, how do you change your name in game so you don't use your Steam Account Real Life name? Wait, figured that out, apparently it pulls your name from whatever Windows account you on? Good Lord, that's an interesting choice.

So, how do you figure where you are? I just spawned in on a coast and am now following railroad tracks to hopefully find civilization and more Kiwi.

Basically, I keep the water to my right and head on until I find a town I can identify.

Once I find a backpack, an axe, and preferably a pistol and ammo (along with food and drink), I head to an Airfield and loot up an SKS or Moisin (sp?) or an M4 with all mag parts.

This will help you A LOT.

also, if you click on it, you can find the distances from point a to point b which helps when zeroing in your gun.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

Xaquin on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I just stumbled upon a derelict ocean tanker with so far, a kiwi (fresh!) and a Blue Hard Hat. And...nothing else. Just room after room of empty promises and broken dreams.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Just fell off the edge on accident and died.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Just fell off the edge on accident and died.
    I'm loving these real-time updates. For real.

The shipwreck is a pretty cool setpiece, but loot is usually sparse and hard to spot. You can find guns there, but other people usually get to them first.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Basically, I keep the water to my right and head on until I find a town I can identify.

Once I find a backpack, an axe, and preferably a pistol and ammo (along with food and drink), I head to an Airfield and loot up an SKS or Moisin (sp?) or an M4 with all mag parts.

This will help you A LOT.

also, if you click on it, you can find the distances from point a to point b which helps when zeroing in your gun.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus
    Good advice, but it might be helpful to identify where to find weaponry outside of airfields. Going to the NEAF as a new player is like running headlong into a meat grinder.

This guide is extremely thorough and useful for identifying valuable buildings. You can spawn just about anywhere nowadays and find a gun in under ten minutes. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1w7nmv/a_guide_to_looting_and_buildings

My only gripe is that it sometimes fails to mention potential gun spawns. Hangars and construction sites often do have weapons in them.

ALSO: M4s are boring and lame. Probably the best gun in the game right now, but who wants that kind of advantage? It's much more gratifying to blast someone with a double-barrel. I assassinated two guys with a Sporter .22 the other day by chambering one round at a time, and it was awesome.

Hamuel on
    Third time I walked off a ledge without noticing it, fell, broke my leg, but did not die. Apparently the 'Respawn' option was deactivated some time ago? I had to crawl into the ocean to drown like some sad offering to the sea gods.

Oh goodness that Reddit thread is useful, thank you very much. Oddly enough, wasted a LOT of time walking around through the 'Useless' buildings because I always thought that "Hey, that looks like a Farm House, I bet that dude has a rifle."

I made a video in DayZ to illustrate how bad of a shot I am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtC0rDmSBo

xet8c.gif
    I love this thread

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    I made a video in DayZ to illustrate how bad of a shot I am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtC0rDmSBo
    Hooooly crap, establish your cardinals! The camo building is the jail, the one next to that is the ATC, and the hangars are east/west. It'll help with coordinating movement to establish the basics.

Man I ain't got time for none of that.

Just here to have fun and maybe shoot some people and probably die to some shit.

xet8c.gif
    at least I can identify with that mantra

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4cWR5bjYc&feature=youtu.be

Here be that other fight we had. Funny how much difference a couple hundred meters make, it was just south of the neaf but it felt like a nice change of scenery.
    Downside of the double barrel is all you're gonna do is tickle guys past about 30-40m. Unlike the mod where you were at least likely to cause bleeding and probably going to break a bone.

Ash of Yew on
    edited May 2014
    Third time I walked off a ledge without noticing it, fell, broke my leg, but did not die. Apparently the 'Respawn' option was deactivated some time ago? I had to crawl into the ocean to drown like some sad offering to the sea gods.

BTW, don't do this. There's a bug where if you die in the water with broken legs, you some times can't respawn. The sea gods are assholes!

Ash of Yew on
    edited May 2014
    Last night was pretty fun. With some occasional help from Homs and GuyFugly, we managed to lock down the airfield and then Svet. The fight in Svet was particularly fun because we basically spawned there and within a couple of minutes were able to clear the town of baddies. Bororm got a couple of guys while incapacitated with broken legs and I got a couple more guys, then had my legs broken by a guy who tried to flee, but Bororm ran him down and got him in a forest battle. Nice change of pace.

also I managed a hit on a guy 600 meters away, it was pretty cool

Hamuel on
    Here's some more things that happened
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLmDMtiRwMA&feature=youtu.be

I liked the encounter at the end at 17:35, I think it's the first time I've fought some one inside one of the rooms of the apartment, and the bat hit was just sooo satisfying since the guy was in the middle of a reload.

What server do you all play on? Every time I've tried it's been a ghost town.

edited May 2014
    We don't play any specific one, we generally join one with a bit lower pop, say 10ish people if we need to gear up, or if we have gear we try to find one with basically the highest amount while still having free slots available.

DayZ can be very hit or miss on activity. The map is fairly big for 40 people, generally people don't use much of it besides the areas around where you spawn now, but it all depends. If you stick around places like Berezino long enough though, you're pretty much guaranteed to run into people eventually.

Ash of Yew on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Hamuel wrote: »
    Last night was pretty fun. With some occasional help from Homs and GuyFugly, we managed to lock down the airfield and then Svet. The fight in Svet was particularly fun because we basically spawned there and within a couple of minutes were able to clear the town of baddies. Bororm got a couple of guys while incapacitated with broken legs and I got a couple more guys, then had my legs broken by a guy who tried to flee, but Bororm ran him down and got him in a forest battle. Nice change of pace.

also I managed a hit on a guy 600 meters away, it was pretty cool

I'm glad I could help by immediately capping a sackhead and then vanishing

Apparently that's all my computer is up for, until the game is optimized a bit better.

edited May 2014
    Ham and I spawned in by solichney and saw 2 armed dudes. One with a crossbow and one with an m4. We were gonna try to knock them out, but they saw us both and then they started offering us stuff. We got a few drinks from them and decided against trying to fuck with them, since they were being nice even though I think we both pretty much wanted to go for it because fuck solichney.

The answer came in the form of shovel guy. He came up to the 4 of us, and the two armed dudes decided to leave. We decided to knock shovel guy out and then I got a pretty good idea. I put on all his clothes and grabbed his shovel, and Ham ran ahead of me catching up to crossbow guy, his buddy no where in sight. Ham starts telling him that shovel guy knocked out white shirt guy (me) and was chasing him. Crossbow guy starts saying something along the lines of "wait what? hold on what are you saying?" and I came up behind him and knocked him over the head a couple times. Surprisingly he went down quick, the shovel used to suck but either I was lucky or it's better now.

Ham told me to grab his clothes so I immediately put his shit on too. Unfortunately they were obviously in voice coms together and when I spotted m4 guy he was coming back in attack position. I hid around a corner from him and then he saw me and took some shots at me. I ran around the next corner and pulled out the axe I got from crossbow guy (his crossbow was bugged/not working) and when the guy got close I ran out and wacked him a couple times and he went down too.

All in all a great success, and I got to feel like some sort of doppleganger monster. For all they know it was "asshole" shovel guy and not me who did it.

Ash of Yew on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Certainly hope no bastard tries to do something like that to one of us

Like @vsove‌

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Shoveler claims his first two victims!

Made my way to Chernaya Polana, got a shotgun, ax, and backpack! I also have a screwdriver to open up sweet sweet canned peaches.

Can I only have like, one rifle at a time? I wanted to put a .22 rifle into my bag but it won't let me?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Made my way to Chernaya Polana, got a shotgun, ax, and backpack! I also have a screwdriver to open up sweet sweet canned peaches.

Can I only have like, one rifle at a time? I wanted to put a .22 rifle into my bag but it won't let me?

Nope, only one rifle at a time.

You could in theory carry two but its cumbersome and you are very likely to lose one eventually due to glitch or screw up as it requires having one on your back and one in your hand and constantly dropping the hand one to do anything.

It's not that cumbersome to carry 2, it just means you can't climb ladders or perform an action that requires your hands while carrying one (eat/drink/binocs/melee). As long as you're aware of that and act accordingly you'll be fine. You won't lose one to a "glitch." We carry 2 rifles all the time. So do a lot of the people we go up against.

What you need to do is pick up the one you don't intend to use immediately, first, and then put it on your back. You can do that by just clicking the x if it's in your hands. Then you need to look at the other rifle as it's on the ground and either wait for the "take into hands prompt" and hit F, or right click it in the vicinity tab of the inventory screen and choose "take into hands." There's probably a method involving the scroll wheel too, I just use the look at it method though.

To switch between them you will need to drop the one in your hands. The best use is for something like carrying a sniper gun as well as a more cqb sort of weapon, or if you have limited ammo for one but are hoping to find some more or what ever.

If you've got a shotgun you can saw it off and stick it in your backpack, it takes 4 horizontal slots. I don't especially recommend it though, because the sawed off is sort of a piece of shit unless you basically make contact between the barrel and whatever you're shooting. It can still be kinda fun though, so try it out for yourself.

edited May 2014
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Ham and I spawned in by solichney and saw 2 armed dudes. One with a crossbow and one with an m4. We were gonna try to knock them out, but they saw us both and then they started offering us stuff. We got a few drinks from them and decided against trying to fuck with them, since they were being nice even though I think we both pretty much wanted to go for it because fuck solichney.

The answer came in the form of shovel guy. He came up to the 4 of us, and the two armed dudes decided to leave. We decided to knock shovel guy out and then I got a pretty good idea. I put on all his clothes and grabbed his shovel, and Ham ran ahead of me catching up to crossbow guy, his buddy no where in sight. Ham starts telling him that shovel guy knocked out white shirt guy (me) and was chasing him. Crossbow guy starts saying something along the lines of "wait what? hold on what are you saying?" and I came up behind him and knocked him over the head a couple times. Surprisingly he went down quick, the shovel used to suck but either I was lucky or it's better now.

Ham told me to grab his clothes so I immediately put his shit on too. Unfortunately they were obviously in voice coms together and when I spotted m4 guy he was coming back in attack position. I hid around a corner from him and then he saw me and took some shots at me. I ran around the next corner and pulled out the axe I got from crossbow guy (his crossbow was bugged/not working) and when the guy got close I ran out and wacked him a couple times and he went down too.

All in all a great success, and I got to feel like some sort of doppleganger monster. For all they know it was "asshole" shovel guy and not me who did it.
    I have video of this, but it's likely not very good!
    Uploading to Youtube. It's not that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlALg95G4zY&feature=youtu.be

and then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF0Kiodad_o&list=UURDR8i10YLklVNgrUcpH-JA

Hamuel on
    Used the shadows to avenge my fallen friends!

This guy was sniping out of the green house at the fire station where we met up.

Ignore my terrible aim! I'm not much enjoying the mouse acceleration and am struggling finding a happy medium between too fast and too slow =/

http://youtu.be/T4j8IDcEAjA

Nice, an occasion where having shadows on was actually beneficial! I keep mine on, but I know a lot of people turn them off to make fighting in forests and such easier.

I found myself adjusting to mouse acceleration a lot better than I expected, but it does still sorta mess me up if I go from playing something like arma 3 for a while back to it. Still, I usually adjust after a few minutes of playing luckily.

Micro adjustments to aim are kinda difficult at long range, but my mouse has some built in sensitivity buttons that I usually use for that.

well eff this game.

went to NWAF to gear up myself and bring back a ton for friends. No compass so I got terribly lost (for 2 hours). Went to top of Devils Castle to get bearings and glitched through the floor.

over 4 hours of effort wasted thanks to shoddy programing.

edited May 2014
    I broke my leg and arm by falling about four inches from a ladder in a barn. I had to ask Homsar whether he was nearby so he could either help me or take me out. I turned out you can't crawl on a broken leg inside a medical station, so I had to give up my plan of serverhopping until I would find morphine. I think I might actually start carrying splints!

Platy on
    Oddly enough, I very rarely die to players.

Most of my deaths can be attributed to glitchy programming, wall hackers, or simply logging in and being a fresh spawn.

I've only died 8 times by actual gameplay.

I lived for over a month on that character. Granted, I didn't play a whole lot during the second half of that month.

ouch

that's a long time

I think my max was almost 2 weeks.

my average lifespan is closer to abooouuut 2 hours. I'm okay with this.

I wouldn't doubt if people find another way to do it again, but it's going to be so glorious for a while to have legitimate encounters again.
    Hopefully the ammo duping fix soon follows as well.

When the SA launched I was mostly dying to bugs, the firestation ladder claimed my life more than any man. But that's because most of my player encounters involved me with a pistol vs dudes with melee. Now that people have actually learned where the guns are and we also engage in more even encounters I die a loooot. But like Ham says, I am perfectly ok with this. I've never been one to actually try to stay alive for as long as I can in this game.

guys, no matter how many points the Sporter earns you in battle, it's pretty terrible. Across approximately 30 confirmed hits on 3 separate targets, I can safely report zero kills.

I dumped that shit for a Blaze with zero ammo. that's how much I wanted to get rid of it.

Ok, I'm quitting this shit game.

after getting regeared up from dying to a floor glitch a couple days ago, I'm leaving the upstairs room in a piano house when I get a red desync. No problem, I switch from my 1911 to my Moisin and prepare to head downstairs ....

when I take fire from behind me. In the empty room that I was just in. By some guy with an M4 that had just logged in.

so yet another 2 hours wasted.

to recap, I'd estimate that the last 7-8 hours played have been the most unfun/buggy/unlucky hours of gaming I have ever played.

there is some zen in learning to let go of gearing up and finding pleasure in the simple things. check shirts, cowboy hats, improvised backpacks, and pretty much anything but an M4 make me happy. the good thing about that? it takes all of 20 minutes to find that stuff!

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    @Xaquin, you should come play with us sometime.

steam_sig.png