As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Darkplace

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Darkplace

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Purdy is a special one.

• Options
    JermsJerms Registered User regular
    LOL! He lost one hat and gained Seventeen. :D

• Options
    John YSC GroenvoldJohn YSC Groenvold Registered User regular
    I signed up just to say that Purdy is awesome.

• Options
    vonKaiservonKaiser Registered User new member
    I don't know why but Purdy reminds me so much of Number 3 from Code Name Kids Next Door lol. Also panel 7 finally answers my question on if it was a real gun or a BB gun.

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Brian needs Seventeen just as much as Seventeen needs Brian.

• Options
    DakaranDakaran Registered User regular
    So am I interpreting correctly that in Brian's dark place he views Purdy (or at least her gun) as wasps that need to be swatted to death?

• Options
    Eric the PrezEric the Prez Registered User regular
    Hi Specter kitty. Dude that was sweet. Brians dark place is scary

• Options
    TrueStopwatchTrueStopwatch General Nuisance MassachasattsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    It took me a little while to realize that Brian basically just walked up to Purdy (while she was presumably pelting him with BB pellets), ripped her gun straight from her hands, and tried to beat her with it. Beast mode. I shudder to think what would have happened to Purdy had Seventeen not been there to shoosh-pap him down.

I also gotta say, I really like the art shift in this one. Brian's subconscious is very ambient and pretty, and also a bit unnerving.

TrueStopwatch on
  • Options
    LambdaLambda Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    It took me a little while to realize that Brian basically just walked up to Purdy (while she was presumably pelting him with BB pellets), ripped her gun straight from her hands, and tried to beat her with it.
    Yeah, it took me awhile too. I still can't figure out if the fact that he killed some of the wasps means he actually hit her. Either she's really good at dodging, or can take a hit really well.

Lambda on
  • Options
    DexterousOafDexterousOaf Registered User new member
    Ohhhhhhhh
    The bees are BB pellets

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Wow what a comic, Brian's dark inner world is a freaky place, but strangely beautiful. Evil ghost kitty is very cool...

Brian is a freakin TANK though... Am I reading it right, he walked up to her, while being pelted with BB's and just ignored them, took the gun off her and slammed it into the floor, exploding it into tiny bits? damn...

and those last two panels are why I read this comic... Seventeen sitting on Brian's head, trying to calm him down is so cute... Then that last panel is fucking hilarious.

Katie, Keep up the excellent work, you are truely a legend of the field!

• Options
    ButterfrogButterfrog Registered User regular
    He is :)

• Options
    lisabm18lisabm18 Registered User new member
    I am always so sad when I finally catch up on a comic and there isn't anymore until next week. But I do love Brian, he reminds me of a friend I have, who also has a similar love of animals.

• Options
    DakaranDakaran Registered User regular
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    Wow what a comic, Brian's dark inner world is a freaky place, but strangely beautiful. Evil ghost kitty is very cool...

Brian is a freakin TANK though... Am I reading it right, he walked up to her, while being pelted with BB's and just ignored them, took the gun off her and slammed it into the floor, exploding it into tiny bits? damn...

and those last two panels are why I read this comic... Seventeen sitting on Brian's head, trying to calm him down is so cute... Then that last panel is fucking hilarious.

Katie, Keep up the excellent work, you are truely a legend of the field!

Aaah, that makes a lot more sense that what I thought. Yeah, that sounds right.

• Options
    LambdaLambda Registered User regular
    ^Ah yeah, didn't think of the wasps as BBs. You're right, Talyn Rahl's interpretation makes sense.

• Options
    sketchitysketchity Registered User regular
    it's great that seventeen seems to be climbing up brian mountain in panel 7.

the comic really seems to be finding its groove with this storyline.

• Options
    AlexwrichardAlexwrichard Registered User regular
    Oh Malachi, I feel ya.

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    is it weird that i saw today's comic as cinema?
    ... the time stream shifting into super slo-mo.
    ... the color and vitality draining from the environment.
    ... each and every sound in the forest being heard distinctly and separately.
    And best of all; Brian having his "walk between the raindrops" moment.

Then, reality crashing into existence with 17's scream breaking into his reverie.

p.s. Katie, i love your hands; you are one of the few artist that i am aware of that gives their characters four fingers and a thumb AND it's those small details that only add to my enjoyment of your work.

hajen on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    Love it. You really nailed it with this one. Clean metaphor that's easy to understand while remaining dreamlike and surreal. Not easy to pull off.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    notmarkflynnnotmarkflynn Registered User new member
    When I saw the title, the only thing I could think of after was "Greetings traveler. I'm Garth Marenghi, horror writer."

• Options
    awesomejekaawesomejeka Registered User regular
    Really nailing it. This comic is great!

• Options
    WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    This was so satisfying.

PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
  • Options
    WodensonWodenson Registered User new member
    Poor weasel, when it gets back to its group of buddies with this amazing story, not a one of them is going to believe it. And the poor thing will then become an outcast for spinning tales of rocks with intent to kill and warring giants, one of which nursed it back to health.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    That was beautiful and so was the kitty.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That weasel looks hilariously terrified in panel 7. And seventeen on top of Brian's head is hilarious and adorable. Love this comic.

• Options
    MrNumbersMrNumbers Registered User regular
    Remember how I was saying I loved all the characters BUT Malachai?

Here is me absolutely gushing over every character but Malachai.

Purdy is insane. Absolutely, positively demented, and you can't help but love her for it.

Here I think we see why Brian was *sent to Camp* as it were, and it is spine~chillingly... words. One adjective does not suffice. It's a layer of depth we've suspected but not yet seen, it's masterfully executed (much like the BB gun) and, really, it's a flaw that makes him so much more endearing, because it just shows how hard he tries in all the panels that aren't these ones to be who he is in every set of panels that isn't this on.

Seventeen. Oh, dear, Seventeen, you are just so damned precious, you know that? Brian must be so god's damned terrifying right now and you're running towards him because you don't think *oh my god he's gone beserk* you think *my friend needs me right now*. I think this really, really sums up everything we know and love about the emaciated little blonde girl who is more number than name.

• Options
    YormungandrYormungandr Registered User regular
    Seventeen is to Brian as Karkat is to Gamzee http://i.imgur.com/uVaE4my.gif

• Options
    It just occurred to me, Brian may have an obsessive new girlfriend! Wonder how she'll keep herself fed if so, but I guess she can't hunt where he isn't.

• Options
    Anyhow, how are they going to keep fed now? : (

• Options
    HochDeutschHochDeutsch Registered User regular
    I created an account just to comment on how phenomenal this was.

I *live* for scenes like this! Different developing storylines and growing characters all coalescing into one short, powerful moment.

A young kid, can't be older than in his teens, staring down the barrel of a loaded gun...with about fifteen feet in between him and his assailant.

But instead of being scared to death...he just ****ing loses it, and with his bare hand (singular, since he's still holding the weasel), not only disarms Purdy but breaks her gun into pieces.

Magnificent.

• Options
    BlitzKeirBlitzKeir Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Another one of those guys who registered just to comment on a comic.

Christ... Even after you won Strip Search (belated congratulations!), I didn't expect anything on this scale. My eye for art doesn't approach the level of, say, Gabe. But I know good writing when I see it, and goddamn you are amazing. This comic just keeps on surprising me. Don't ever stop. Unless you lose a hand I guess, or get arthritis or one of those crazy diseases that turn your bones into a pre-2010 McNugget.

Also, the fading border was genius. I didn't even notice at first. Perfect.

BlitzKeir on
  • Options
    darthmidget15darthmidget15 Registered User regular
    KITTY!!!!!!!!!! (Said like Timmy from South Park)

• Options
    MrBigglesworthMrBigglesworth Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    Could you guys overanalyze and project on these comics more? You haven't fully ripped them of their charm yet..

MrBigglesworth on
  • Options
    olimayolimay Registered User regular
    Cool inner-world visualization. Wonderful development with Brian's character, too; I've been waiting for this!

• Options
    XMinusOneXMinusOne Registered User regular
    Brian gets angry and it's Hulk smash! So that was a BB gun after all. Purdy is cute; crazy, but cute.
    I also found the kitty.

• Options
    NoedigNoedig BlindCleric on Twitch Registered User regular
    Are we sure its BBs? Could easily be buckshot from a busted shell. Right size too.

• Options
    MegaDanXMegaDanX Registered User new member
    Ooo

Oh there's something magical about this comic.

• Options
    MuffinsMuffins Registered User regular
    Purdy reminds me of an owl.

• Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Could you guys overanalyze and project on these comics more? You haven't fully ripped them of their charm yet..

Well, that wasn't very nice.

• Options
    aberdasheraberdasher Registered User regular
    I agree with menumbers here. This was a really well crafted scene. The internal metaphor place was really effective.

Also, I'm not sure if Mr. Bigglesworth is trolling here, but if he isn't, I think it's important to realize that analyzing a comic doesn't remove its charm. If we want comics to be taken seriously as a medium, we can't be willing to dream bigger and ask for depth. Movies, books, and even music benefit from analysis and there really isn't any reason one should feel that comics shouldn't.