As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movie Thread] Agents of SHIELD renewed. Agent Carter to series. Hail Hydra.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    season 2 should slide in between guardians and age of ultron, right

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    So I'm excited to get back into AoS eventually but I gotta say, not too excited about seeing Patton Oswalt anymore after his Twitter fiasco this week. Or any of his twitter fiascos, really. Dude is a train wreck.

well I've got good news and bad news
    patton oswalt is listed as being in the finale

I don't know if it's just a flashback or a "if you're watching this then I'm already dead" or his brother or an lmd or what

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I still generally enjoy Patton Oswalt in things. (He was amazing in Justified the year he was on that) but I don't follow him on twitter for a reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

If it's like this year, season 2 should wrap up right when Age of Ultron hits.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I still generally enjoy Patton Oswalt in things. (He was amazing in Justified the year he was on that) but I don't follow him on twitter for a reason.

Me neither, but it sure seems to spill over a bunch when things happen after he says something stupid.

Ah well. I'll steel myself for when the time comes.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man Justified

I've only seen the first season but it was fucking immense, that's for sure

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Man Justified

I've only seen the first season but it was fucking immense, that's for sure

The first season is the worst one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What did Patton do on Twitter this week?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    He made apologies for jokes that he never actually made, to see how many people would get riled up about the imagined joke he apologized for.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    He made apologies for jokes that he never actually made, to see how many people would get riled up about the imagined joke he apologized for.

The answer was a lot

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    that's awesome, and twitter deserves it

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Well, yes and no. The implications of those fake apologies, whether Patton would admit it or not (and whether his more obtuse canvass would notice or not), are pretty bad, which is where I take issue, personally.

• Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    that's awesome, and twitter deserves it

Unfortunately the people who are pissed don't seem to see they are proving his point, but we've already have this discussion in the GB thread and it didn't go anywhere so lets drop it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    It was kind of not awesome because he was making fun of "social justice warriors" and for the most part they didn't actually think he was deleting tweets and understood what he was doing, which was being mean in the oblivious way of white dudes everywhere

I still follow him and I mostly rolled my eyes but it was pretty dumb and not nice

• Options
    Yeah I dunno, UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME

There is totally merit in pointing out the unthinking angry mob mentality that surrounds this sort of thing, and since Patton Oswald is a comedian by trade it isn't exactly a stretch for him to use his chosen craft to do that.

Kind of like how his last twitter infamy surrounded him splitting tweets into two messages to make them sound horrible on their own, and then watching how many people stirred up outrage over the individual tweets out of context, which is something I've seen done on these very forums numerous times.

• Options
    It's clever in theory but his lampooning of the twitter format in general where he took perfectly benign statements that became insensitive when spliced into pieces by the 140 character limit was much funnier and I just kinda find it tiring when he does the same stuff over and over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    it might have worked better if patton oswalt didn't actually have a history of making terrible jokes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    He did that joke again today, by the way, with the message splitting

And maybe the "mob" is mostly composed of persecuted minorities so making jokes at their expense is punching down and therefore not a great thing to do

• Options
    I don't follow Patton on Twitter mostly because he's an incredibly tiring person sometimes

• Options
    I thought the better responses were the APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING MAN YOUR TWEET WAS HILARIOUS

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    It certainly is an issue if people are yelling at those who apologize

But not like more of a problem than any thousand other things on the internet

It just might seem like it is to those who would be more personally hurt by it, which is to say, Patton Oswold and his general demographic.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Look I'm not going to lie here

New food coloring is 100% enough reason for me to buy something I might normally avoid

Sitting here looking at my screen right now reflecting on the choices which have led me to be excited at the prospect of eating blue twinkie filling.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yuck

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Well there's two groups, the clueless randos who didn't check for context, and then the people who weren't amused by his shtick.

What Oswalt's doing is snickering at the abstract figure of the humorless killjoy without seeming like he's deliberately picking on specific groups like feminists.
    He's set up an unassailable position for himself, he doesn't have to apologize or disavow a joke because he didn't "actually" tell one. He didn't "actually" antagonize anyone. No harm, no foul! He gets to have his cake and eat it too, being the man who tells other men not to tell offensive jokes while mocking people who criticize comics' right to tell offensive jokes. He's laughing at humorless outraged buzzkills from the position of punching down, without having actually thrown a punch. Laughing at "senseless" outrage by constructing a scenario where there's no substance to their outrage. (outrage is totally not a gendered and racialized concept!! just making fun of clueless people!!) It's really petty.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    twinkies being the only thing the x-men eat in the future is the real reason xavier sends wolverine to the past. his whispered plea, 'bring me a big mac' echoing in logan's head

or whatever the hardee's burger is. I've never lived by one, I don't know

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

New food coloring is 100% enough reason for me to buy something I might normally avoid

Sitting here looking at my screen right now reflecting on the choices which have led me to be excited at the prospect of eating blue twinkie filling.

It's not just the coloring, it's a different flavor. Blue Raspberry and...something else.

Do they not know that raspberries are normally red? And that blueberry is a perfectly acceptable flavor for things?

I must not be the target audience.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

If it's like this year, season 2 should wrap up right when Age of Ultron hits.

I actually hope they learn the biggest lesson from this season and do not try and bank their show around release dates. It led to horrible gaps and filler episodes with them waiting for captain america 2 to hit.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Nothing close to as awesome as:

hostesstransformers1.jpg

• Options
    Snowballs are terrible though

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    except snowballs are disgusting

• Options
    I've never had a snoball

I would have had a snoball if I'd ever seen that packaging on the shelf

I am part of the problem

• Options
    Even compared to twinkies, snowballs are vile.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Oh wait it has coconut abort abort abort

Some tastes aesthetics can't compensate for

• Options
    You guys are missing the point

snoballimus

• Options
    since when is anything from Hostess not disgusting

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Snowballs are terrible though

Nah

• Options
    Snoballimus is pretty amazing, yeah. I'm not sure how they could rebrand Twinkies like that though. X-Twinkies? Twinkies Sapiens Superior?

• Options
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

It's not just the coloring, it's a different flavor. Blue Raspberry and...something else.

Do they not know that raspberries are normally red? And that blueberry is a perfectly acceptable flavor for things?

I must not be the target audience.

Doesn't blue raspberry usually have an almost sour flavor to it? I don't think I would want that as a cake filling. Blueberry would be much better

This discussion has been closed.