As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo - Her games, her systems, her luscious curves.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I'm beginning to come around to the idea of Nintendo's console development going to third party. I don't think they ever will, but the market just isn't looking for a new system to play CodBlops on, and I think the Wii U has shown the viability prospects of a purely 1st-party console (and it's not great).

Its never gonna happen. Like ever

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'm beginning to come around to the idea of Nintendo's console development going to third party. I don't think they ever will, but the market just isn't looking for a new system to play CodBlops on, and I think the Wii U has shown the viability prospects of a purely 1st-party console (and it's not great).

Yeah, it's hard to get somewhere when nobody wants to develop for your system because they think it'll flop. Surprisingly, that doesn't help it succeed.

That's on Nintendo, though, not the developers. The Wii U is reaping what Wii's paltry offerings sowed.

I wouldn't say never, honestly. Does any of us really believe Nintendo has another strong console generation left in them?

I mean, I agree that the conventional wisdom is that Nintendo is always going to be first party, but they're potentially looking at a day soon where they're out of the console business. So what then? Just close up shop? Or do they leverage their brand and continue making money?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I wouldn't say never, honestly. Does any of us really believe Nintendo has another strong console generation left in them?

I mean, I agree that the conventional wisdom is that Nintendo is always going to be first party, but they're potentially looking at a day soon where they're out of the console business. So what then? Just close up shop? Or do they leverage their brand and continue making money?

I believe they will eventually make another home console that is good, just off the fact that they have so much money in the bank they can keep taking insane losses every year for the next 20 years and still be in business.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote: »

I believe they will eventually make another home console that is good, just off the fact that they have so much money in the bank they can keep taking insane losses every year for the next 20 years and still be in business.

But what's the point if no one's buying games?

I literally just disagreed with you so yes I do believe that.

Your argument might hold more weight if it hadnt been posted in every nintendo thread on the internet for the last 20 years

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

I literally just disagreed with you so yes I do believe that.

Your argument might hold more weight if it hadnt been posted in every nintendo thread on the internet for the last 20 years

3rd party Nintendo is like a nuclear Iran. It's been 6 months/5 years away for over a decade.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Metroivanielda. You heard it here first.

People were saying the same thing in the GameCube era. Worked out pretty well a few years later, doncha think?

edited May 2014

But what's the point if no one's buying games?

Nintendos numbers for a successful game arent the inflated bullshit companies like EA use to cover their suicidial buisness practices. A game that sells 50,000 units for nintendo isnt a failure

King Riptor on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Nintendo still dominates the handheld market, so if for some reason they stopped making home consoles they would still make games, just focusing on handhelds. Ideally I'd like to see them merge their console and handheld platforms. A portable system that comes with a dock that has HDMI out and supports wireless controllers so you can play the same games on your TV as you can on the bus using the same saves even. The Wii U seems like a step in that direction but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nintendo's also been having issues this generation switching over to HD, on top of the hardware sales stuff. They weren't prepared for how much more time and money and manpower it was gonna take and it's been impacting their ability to deliver software under their normal business practices.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Nintendo still dominates the handheld market, so if for some reason they stopped making home consoles they would still make games, just focusing on handhelds. Ideally I'd like to see them merge their console and handheld platforms. A portable system that comes with a dock that has HDMI out and supports wireless controllers so you can play the same games on your TV as you can on the bus using the same saves even. The Wii U seems like a step in that direction but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

I didn't want to play mobile games on my TV when the Ouya thought it was a good idea, and I don't see myself wanting to do it if Nintendo tries it, albeit with their vastly superior mobile game catalog.

I'm all for them doing more things with cross save however where I can use the same save on the mobile version of a game that I can on the console version like I believe the last Monster Hunter did.

The Wii-U has been bad for Nintendo, but I don't buy that they don't have any more good console cycles left in them for a minute. Hopefully this just served as a lesson in not releasing a console that is a generation behind in specs and praying that some unique feature will make up the difference (a lesson that by all rights should have smacked them in the face last generation, but the Wii was something of an anomaly). If they can release a console that is comparable in power and graphics to its competition next generation they will be fine, their catalog of IPs will do the rest, weak online infrastructure be damned.

LostNinja wrote: »

I didn't want to play mobile games on my TV when the Ouya thought it was a good idea, and I don't see myself wanting to do it if Nintendo tries it, albeit with their vastly superior mobile game catalog.

I'm all for them doing more things with cross save however where I can use the same save on the mobile version of a game that I can on the console version like I believe the last Monster Hunter did.

With the increasing power of handheld systems, the difference between handheld games and console games is getting smaller and smaller in terms of actual gameplay. Particularly for dedicated games machines. The Ouya was trying to put mobile games from not a dedicated games machine on your TV with results as expected, but look at what the PS Vita is capable of, and Japan's upcoming PS Vita TV. Its just not getting enough games to really matter. Nintendo would with a handheld system.

(She/Her)

The Wii-U has been bad for Nintendo, but I don't buy that they don't have any more good console cycles left in them for a minute. Hopefully this just served as a lesson in not releasing a console that is a generation behind in specs and praying that some unique feature will make up the difference (a lesson that by all rights should have smacked them in the face last generation, but the Wii was something of an anomaly). If they can release a console that is comparable in power and graphics to its competition next generation they will be fine, their catalog of IPs will do the rest, weak online infrastructure be damned.

The popular rumor is that their next console will be a tablet esque handheld that acts like a controller for the home console but can be taken on the go as a stand alone unit.

Basically theyll ensure their customers have both consoles right out the gate and can develop games with features that take advantage of that.

• ZekZek Registered User regular

The amount of money they have in the bank isn't really relevant - no company in the world is going to spend all their savings on something that they don't believe will pay dividends. They could have a trillion dollars in there, and they would still drop out of the home console market right this instant if the stakeholders decided it was a money pit. I don't know how close they are to that point, but we know their financials have been disappointing lately and they blame the Wii U. And I'm very skeptical of this idea that they can just re-enter the domain of MS/Sony again simply by releasing a new console with comparable specs. There's a reason why they broke away from that with the Wii in the first place.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Zek wrote: »

The amount of money they have in the bank isn't really relevant - no company in the world is going to spend all their savings on something that they don't believe will pay dividends. They could have a trillion dollars in there, and they would still drop out of the home console market right this instant if the stakeholders decided it was a money pit. I don't know how close they are to that point, but we know their financials have been disappointing lately and they blame the Wii U. And I'm very skeptical of this idea that they can just re-enter the domain of MS/Sony again simply by releasing a new console with comparable specs. There's a reason why they broke away from that with the Wii in the first place.

Can I just take a minute to point out how god-damned happy I am to finally see someone who is doubtful about Nintendo's future prospects AND actually remembers what happened with the GameCube? Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason. Then again, they could just be arguing in bad faith, so...

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited May 2014
    Zek wrote: »

I think youre misreading the situation. I mean Microsoft shareholders are more likely to force a sale of the xbox division than Nintendo shareholders making the company stop its primary means of income.

Also the wiiu is turning a profit now so low sales won't hurt as much

King Riptor on
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Nintendo's also been having issues this generation switching over to HD, on top of the hardware sales stuff. They weren't prepared for how much more time and money and manpower it was gonna take and it's been impacting their ability to deliver software under their normal business practices.

Is that why the Wii U runs more full HD games than its competitors?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Einzel wrote: »

It's why all of their games are being released much later than they originally wanted them to.

Viskod on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    [Everyone else on that train seems to think the GameCube was some sort of highly successful piece of hardware for some reason.

It's because it was a highly successful piece of hardware. Nintendo made "mad dollar yo" selling the thing and associated game.

Market share is not the same as profit.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't know. It's not like Nintendo has never had lean years before, plus there's that mythic war chest everyone kvetches about at some point. The big problem, more than anything else with Nintendo, is their overbearing insistence on doing their own thing, while at the same time exercising judicious denial about what industry they think they are a part of. Ironically, Nintendo is in the Nintendo Industry, but that doesn't mean quite what it used to.

Maybe they can do something ridiculous, like license Microsoft and Sony tech, and produce a Nintendo Edition Xbox or Playstation. That's probably a very stupid idea, but when I look at the sort of conditions Nintendo would need to fulfill to stay in this business on their own terms, I wonder about that sort of thing. Would you buy a Nintendo-engineered Playstation, if you could?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I just don't really see the point in a Nintendo home console anymore, when everything they're doing is being done far better by Microsoft and Sony.

I bought a WiiU (super cheap) knowing full well the only games I'd be buying for it would be Nintendo games and the very occasional third-party exclusive like Wonderful 101. I would much rather just buy a PS4 and play the one or two Nintendo games per year on that, plus all the other not-occasional third-party games released for the PS4.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular

Full HD doesn't mean squat. Nintendo is running last generation games full HD, oh well. Plus their new games don't pack the sort of shaders, lighting effects, physics, and other stuff their competitors do.

Given the choice between higher resolution or better shadows/lighting/details/textures/physics I'll usually take the later.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Full HD doesn't mean squat. Nintendo is running last generation games full HD, oh well. Plus their new games don't pack the sort of shaders, lighting effects, physics, and other stuff their competitors do.

Given the choice between higher resolution or better shadows/lighting/details/textures/physics I'll usually take the later.

everyone hangs on the numbers too much.

Nintendo runs 1st party games at 1080p because they have a clean and simple artistic style that doesn't challenge their hardware overly much. Nintendo runs Mass Effect 3 at 1080p because that game ran at 720p on 8 year old hardware.

I think the Wii U trying to run Ryse or Infamous 3 with the same level of textures and assets at 1080p would be a terrible failure.

The reduced hardware capabilities of the Wii U means devs need to dedicate a lot of additional resources to downport games to that platform, especially once the PS3 and 360 stop getting versions. And they would gladly do it if there was a population on the platform, but as of right now both the xbox one and ps4 have outpaced it in the major markets they are present in, and Nintendo doesn't appear to be picking up the pace... so this will be a generation that is carried for nintendo by its handheld.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Judging from my experiences at the expo hall ta pax east, triple-a console gaming has firmly left me in the dust, but there were quite a few indie/mobile games that piqued my interests and it was like rediscovering why I enjoy playing games in the first place.

Given that nintendo's handhelds have been the most consistently well performing, and well received, part of their business, I could easily see them saying bon voyage to the set-top box market and making a console that is mobile, but could be easily adapted to TVs should one wish (as has been suggested in this thread), even better if local multiplayer isn't a hassle.

Their biggest problem isn't that they need to compete, or do business with, with sony and MS its that they still think they need to even while they try to spin off the wii consoles as these apple-esque ecosystems.

• frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

everyone hangs on the numbers too much.

Nintendo runs 1st party games at 1080p because they have a clean and simple artistic style that doesn't challenge their hardware overly much. Nintendo runs Mass Effect 3 at 1080p because that game ran at 720p on 8 year old hardware.

I think the Wii U trying to run Ryse or Infamous 3 with the same level of textures and assets at 1080p would be a terrible failure.

The reduced hardware capabilities of the Wii U means devs need to dedicate a lot of additional resources to downport games to that platform, especially once the PS3 and 360 stop getting versions. And they would gladly do it if there was a population on the platform, but as of right now both the xbox one and ps4 have outpaced it in the major markets they are present in, and Nintendo doesn't appear to be picking up the pace... so this will be a generation that is carried for nintendo by its handheld.

I agree with this. However if you can pump the resolution and details you should. I keep two liquid cooled SLI machines with 1600p or greater monitors around just for that, but on PC you only have to give up as much as your wallet forces you to. With consoles I'm not of the mindset that everything has to run at 1080p, you have to make some sacrifices. I could really give a rats ass about console resolution wars.

I wonder how many people are leaving Nintendo for non game releated reasons though. I know a lot of people who agree with the notion that Nintendo is perpetuating the same sort of class, race, gender, and other problems that hardcore social conservatives do. Avoiding Nintendo is starting to be a badge of honor. I know admitting to liking Nintendo products opens me up to a world of lectures I'd often rather avoid.

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/08/hey_nintendo_recognizing_gay_people_isnt_social_commentary/
    http://www.salon.com/2014/05/08/nintendos_anti_gay_cop_out_why_its_demented_same_sex_ban_is_no_game/
    http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-girls-club-is-so-sexist-it-made-me-sick-2014-4
    http://www.salon.com/2013/10/05/the_legend_of_zelda_is_classist_sexist_and_racist/

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Holy shit that last article is ridiculous

LxX6eco.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Well it's easy to make games running in higher resolutions when you make games with small and sparse environments and simple graphics. Take the latest Mario platforming games. It's small chunks of level floating in empty space. You don't need power to display that on screen.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507

The popular rumor is that their next console will be a tablet esque handheld that acts like a controller for the home console but can be taken on the go as a stand alone unit.

Basically theyll ensure their customers have both consoles right out the gate and can develop games with features that take advantage of that.

I would be down with something like that.

A really sleek large-format handheld like the 3DSxl that played GameBoy games and next-gen games with cloud support would be pretty rad, especially if they could hit a manageable price point.

Nintendo needs to up their online game in a bad way. They're embarrassingly behind in that arena.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

A really sleek large-format handheld like the 3DSxl that played GameBoy games and next-gen games with cloud support would be pretty rad, especially if they could hit a manageable price point.

Nintendo needs to up their online game in a bad way. They're embarrassingly behind in that arena.

I still blows my mind that the 3DS I own does not play GBA games.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

Mine does 8-)

Or the fact that it doesn't play SNES games! They released A Link Between Worlds and put Link to the Past on WiiU

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the cause of Nintendo's woes, or even if it's just my personal feeling, but when a Nintendo console comes out I always ask around what games it has from it's first party franchises, and the answers that come to me are thus:

Zelda? Maybe in a couple of years.
    Star Fox? No.
    F Zero? No, and no idea if it'll ever get one.
    Metroid? Erm… At some point, I hope…
    Battalion Wars? What?
    Kid Icarus? No no no, fifteen years between games.
    What about Fire Emblem, that made money recently right? Not yet, but a cross-over with Persona is going to come out… some day!

And so on. Now obviously there are good titles on the Wii U right now (Pikmin, Mario, Donkey Kong), but I'm waiting for that one Nintendo game I want, which may never turn up.

I don't think Microsoft or Playstation ever invoke that, their games don't seem to be waited on or as mourned as Nintendo games. So perhaps for lack of the "right" game, people buy other consoles or just use a PC, and by the time that "right" game turns up (if it does), they no longer wish to invest in Nintendo- Especially if it comes out at the end of the console's life, when people are now waiting on the next big thing! Ah!

A new Fire Emblem just came out.

LxX6eco.jpg
    There was a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover announced for the Wii U but nothing has been heard from it since. Also hope to hear more at E3 about the Dynasty Warriors meets Zelda game that Nintendo is collaborating with Tecmo Koei on. Didn't they already say that the next main Zelda title for the Wii U will be shown at E3 this year? Chances are its a 2015 title but I hope for Nintendo's sake that it is far enough along in development to come out this holiday season.

(She/Her)
    There was a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover announced for the Wii U but nothing has been heard from it since. Also hope to hear more at E3 about the Dynasty Warriors meets Zelda game that Nintendo is collaborating with Tecmo Koei on. Didn't they already say that the next main Zelda title for the Wii U will be shown at E3 this year? Chances are its a 2015 title but I hope for Nintendo's sake that it is far enough along in development to come out this holiday season.

It was just mentioned at the quarterly report. TBD ie well likely get a date at E3

Well maybe it will be far enough along for them to attach a single dungeon demo of it to one of their holiday titles. I seem to remember there being a Wind Waker demo bundled with something on the Gamecube back in the day, or situations like the Halo 3 beta being bundled with Crackdown, or the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo bundled with Zone of the Enders.

(She/Her)
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

Mine does 8-)

Or the fact that it doesn't play SNES games! They released A Link Between Worlds and put Link to the Past on WiiU

Let's just say that Nintendo's approach to emulation is...questionable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    That's one way of saying it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Well that's not hard when the Wii U has about 4 games

Heres a nice summary of the report
    http://youtu.be/Yowxi1Y3EWY