As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wildstar: Content Patch #2 is coming! SABOTAGE

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Second question: how required are multiplayer instances/dungeons for progression?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I want to play but this game runs like poo on my current machine, and the art deserves to be seen in a crispy manner. I don't know what the deal is because everything I play usually runs really well.

I have a brand new gaming machine and I've seen my fps drop down into the 30s.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm probably not going to get this right away, so I will play Exile, cause I want an esper that isn't human or Chua.

Also, I probably shouldn't have played the intro half asleep, because I think I missed a bunch of lore. Scientist, ho!

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If you are having framerate issues, try this:

Delete everything in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar (search for %AppData% or fiddle with hidden folders if you can't find it in explorer). Apparently some older UI stuff and config settings were really trashing framerates. You WILL lose all of your current UI settings (and addons), but for most people it's worth the pain of reinstalling addons and setting up your UI again.

Can't have this be BOTP'd

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Second question: how required are multiplayer instances/dungeons for progression?
    Adventures are crazy good experience and renown, but I only have experience for the level 15 adventure.

Dungeons are probably one of the slowest ways to level, but they're a good challenge.

YL9WnCY.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    so rolled an exile medic to test out that side and I think I prefer it over the dom esper I made

way fun using blinks too

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    There's a mixed GT/SE++ Dominion guild on Nexus NA
    Beezel wrote: »
    message montague or leave a message here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/188569/wildstar-get-your-open-beta-key-name-reg-may-13/p81 with your character name. someone will hook you up

Rorus also said there was an Exile guild on Pergo
    y'all are dumb as heck, you passed on a server named Mike Ross

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    rorus, you are a saint. illium FPS just shot up like 35fps at least, didn't even notice a fps drop on the initial loading of illium

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yo this game runs like shit and reliably leaks memory until it crashes

but it is pretty fun

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Well, after playing the game a bit more, it's alright. I don't think I'll be picking it up. I like the races, the animations and the setting, but I'm just not sold on the game play. I also find the announcer's taunts when you die a bit grating.

I think it'll do well and it's cool that a lot of people like it, but it's just not for me. It's too much like WoW and I think I'm just not into that kind of a MMO anymore.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    yo this game runs like shit and reliably leaks memory until it crashes

but it is pretty fun
    Early next week there's supposed to be a patch that fixes a lot of performance issues.

YL9WnCY.png
    Still having a blast, trying out every class up through the first non-tutorial area

Still not really understanding people in the GB thread saying it's just WoW

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Still not really understanding people in the GB thread saying it's just WoW

It's like the people who say all other CCGs are just MTG ripoffs: they're bads.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just curious, is there any difference between the different species in the game gameplay wise? Or is it just the physical appearance?
    I've played a bit with a Mechari and a bit with a Chua, both engineers. Neither one broken into double digits as far as levels go.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    wildstar you really need to mute yourself when I tab out

if I wanted to still hear wildstar stuff I would have wildstar be the active window!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    If you don't think this game is directly comparable to WoW then you're probably being willingly obtuse about it.

I'm not saying it is worse or better, but comparisons between the way these two games do pretty much everything are obvious and plentiful.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Radius wrote: »
    If you don't think this game is directly comparable to WoW then you're probably being willingly obtuse about it.

I'm not saying it is worse or better, but comparisons between the way these two games do pretty much everything are obvious and plentiful.

They don't play anything alike at all though

The quest design is the same but the actual gameplay is completely different

Skillbar, rotation, don't stand in aoe. Sure my skills aren't targeted, but that's the only real difference to see in the first ten levels.

My rogue stalker has an energy bar suit power that slowly regenerates over time slowly regenerates over time.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Well, finally got this downloaded. Made a neat looking Mechari stalker. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to continue the tutorial, but my first impression is that for a zone designed to ease me into the game, there sure is a lot going on. Feels cluttered.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Skillbar, rotation, don't stand in aoe. Sure my skills aren't targeted, but that's the only real difference to see in the first ten levels.

My rogue stalker has an energy bar suit power that slowly regenerates over time slowly regenerates over time.

tha'ts a pretty big difference

It takes it from standing in place and pushing buttons until they fall down to being constantly on the move while using your abilities and only pausing when you have an ability that requires you to stand still

To me they feel nothing alike. I recognize there are similarities, but saying it's the same seems disingenuous

And what I'm saying is that for most of what people have played they only have to move once per enemy at most, it isn't constantly moving, its move once, move on to the next enemy.

And that is why people say it is like WoW, which is what I'm defending, not whether or not it is WoW.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    If you took out the fact that your skills target the ground instead of enemies, it would be 2014 WoW in Space. This is not a bad thing.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    wow is successful for a reason

and that reason is that higgins is not playing it

PiptheFair wrote: »

That reason is the stellar and constantly fresh writing

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

That reason is the stellar and constantly fresh writing

metzen~kun

Y'all are gonna be so happy when the big plot twist is that the Eldan were corrupted by some primeval force and only you can stop them and save Nexus.

Until you realize that the corruption spread deeper than you thought, and now you must fight against the former leaders of the Dominion and the Exiles who have followed in the Eldans path and given into the same powers that once nearly doomed the galaxy.

But even then there is no time to rest because beyond all that you have finally found the true source of this ancient evil. Have your adventures prepared you enough as you must now fight against the corrupted planet Nexus itself?

Y'all are gonna be so happy when the big plot twist is that the Eldan were corrupted by some primeval force and only you can stop them and save Nexus.

Until you realize that the corruption spread deeper than you thought, and now you must fight against the former leaders of the Dominion and the Exiles who have followed in the Eldans path and given into the same powers that once nearly doomed the galaxy.

But even then there is no time to rest because beyond all that you have finally found the true source of this ancient evil. Have your adventures prepared you enough as you must now fight against the corrupted planet Nexus itself?

ncsoft is not competent enough to do that

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

tha'ts a pretty big difference

It takes it from standing in place and pushing buttons until they fall down to being constantly on the move while using your abilities and only pausing when you have an ability that requires you to stand still

To me they feel nothing alike. I recognize there are similarities, but saying it's the same seems disingenuous

the similarities are superficial

big gameplay differences?

-the limited number of buttons you have to press (forcing everyone to work with a small skill bar)

-how ALL attacks function as an AOE

-ability to dodge/sprint/double-jump (synergizing with said AOE mechanics)

-very different style of skill points + character building

like, yeah, it hearkens back to WoW's art style, and some standard MMO mechanics (mounts, taxis, etc.)

but they absolutely play differently

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    all attacks are aoes, sure, but its not an aoe circle from WoW. an esper's Telekinetic Strike hits a long, straight beam compared to a warrior's short, almost 200 degree arcs, and a spellslinger's narrow starting/wide end cone attack.
    what telegraphs are being displayed, and what your opponent is using should tell you if you need to be sidestepping or jumping through them to dodge their attack.

a good example of a boss template would be the 2nd boss in kel vorath. he launches a HUGE template that cascades out three decent size rings. Sure, you can run away from all of them, or if you are ballsy, you can time it to dash between the cascade and get back to fighting him asap.

I know I'm using raids as an example but some those telegraphs are psychedelic kalidescopes of pain.

it may be a simple thing to be moving around in a fight, but it's amazing that such a simple thing adds a lot of depth to combat.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    this game has good combat, even lower level enemies have unique attack patterns you need to dodge

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    edited May 2014
    Dubh wrote: »
    -the limited number of buttons you have to press (forcing everyone to work with a small skill bar)

Gonna skip everything else just to pick this nit, I have never needed more than 6 or 8 skills at any one time in any mmo ever so the "Limited Action Set" system isn't a difference in gameplay as much as codifying what was already reality

Being able to swap them for quickly and for free outside of combat is nice and convenient though, they did get that right (but having to buy skills for rather large amounts of money early on is bad)

edit However thinking about it I bet it could possibly make a big difference in PvP, but pvp doesn't count

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    Veering off course, but I've watched some of the Wildstar raid bosses and I'd rather deal with what you describe as a kaleidoscope of pain than try and fight Titan EX again.

So I've now played every class up to level 7/8 and I still have literally no idea what I want to play

lame, seems like the discounted preorder on greenmangaming is out of stock...

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I haven't had to dodge anything yet, but I'm playing a stalker, level 7

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    From what I've seen though stalkers kill everything in one or two hits anyway

i'm level 14 on warrior, some of the attack patterns get crazy + do a ton of damage if you don't dodge

i'm talking taking 30-50% chunks from same or +1 lvl mobs

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    i'm level 14 on warrior, some of the attack patterns get crazy + do a ton of damage if you don't dodge

i'm talking taking 30-50% chunks from same or +1 lvl mobs

How are some of the later warrior powers?

i haven't been a huge fan of the medium level ones (rend, double strike, whirlwind)

i see a ton of fun to be had at later levels with a crit build and augmented blade, smackdown, and breaching strikes

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*