As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wildstar] "We Have the Best Shit" Open Beta now Live!

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    The only thing I don't like about scientist is the scavenger hunt of datacrons. I really wish there was a mechanic to find those things easier then just walking all over the zone and back.

steam_sig.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Don't understand why the Explorer gets all their locations marked with an arrow pointing to them and Scientist actually has to explore.
    To make them different. You like digging around, be a Scientist, you like chasing dots, be an Explorer. Personally I enjoyed having to look into nooks and crannies to find stuff.
    I'll pass on the almost-inevitable "but Explorers have explore in the name!" discussion, we've had that a million times before.

I don't have a problem with paths intersecting and/or being differentiated from each other. Mainly I think that scientists should have arrows pointing to the data cubes, or at least an icon on the map like every other path does with all of their missions. IIRC every path has easy to find missions except scientist.

The other thing that really sucks is the scientist scans that can only be done once per object, so if you have to scan all of them it can be hell to find the last one. I spent ages looking for bird nests as a Dominion scientist.

And then there was this place in Celestion, I think this was the spot:

IjAVcve.jpg

Wandered around these damn pools for half an hour looking for one last bubble spot and finally gave up. I swear there just weren't enough to complete the mission.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    For a new page:

Vote on the Exile guild mark!
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    For our Exile guild, here are some holomarks. I don't think you can really have such a guild name without the sheriff badge symbol.

1 4r9lVGI.png2 c8xSkXu.png3 WLo7KtA.png

4 ktKzrF8.png5 hs7Shpa.png6 6TKzvyn.png

7 DfxzZei.png (you know you like it)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't like about scientist is the scavenger hunt of datacrons. I really wish there was a mechanic to find those things easier then just walking all over the zone and back.

I've been sitting 16/17 datachrons in Deradune since I got into the closed beta. It made me so mad I felt like I could piss blood.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, I played this a few days over the weekend. While I can tell they put a lot of work into it, I can't help but kinda feel 'meh' about the game.

A few observations.
    It's using basically the same mechanics as SWG for combat but giving it a childish level of simplicity with the 'dont stand in the square when it fills up' mechanic.

The story seems to have a decent amount of effort put into it, however the presentation seems to be that someone read it and said 'keep it all, but make it happen so that someone who constantly uses the phrase tldr can breeze through it.

The abilities arent very well explained. Like spell surge on the spellslinger. Okay so if i have this buff everything becomes stronger. So i cast the buff. and nothing is telling me exactly why it ever leaves me in the middle of a fight. Is it based on time, number of hits? the amount of focus i have?

It's apparently sharing a lot of resources on the back end. I logged in with a new character to play with my brother and even with us both on the same server, we could not see each other until we created a group together.

The amp thing needs some more explaination of exactly what we are gearing for at the end of that long path. The skills you unlock seem oddly meh, but maybe thats just at low levels.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    azith28 wrote: »
    It's apparently sharing a lot of resources on the back end. I logged in with a new character to play with my brother and even with us both on the same server, we could not see each other until we created a group together.

I can't speak much to the rest of what you said, other than disagreeing entirely with your comment re: "childish simplicity," but this is a pretty standard load management method. I'm pretty sure every major MMO does this, though obviously some more than others, and some with greater success. It's also going to obviously be much more pronounced if the server is very busy.

Rend on
    edited May 2014
    It's using basically the same mechanics as SWG for combat but giving it a childish level of simplicity with the 'dont stand in the square when it fills up' mechanic.

It's muuuuch less simple later on. The devs have talked about this specific complaint before, in adventures and dungeons it can be practically bullet hell.

I believe this is due to phasing, to keep the world from being too crowded. When you group up you can join the rest of the group in their instance of the world.

UncleSporky on
    Every time I hear people talk about the low level combat in WS I just laaaugh and laugh.

I agree on early presentation however. The game kinda just throws you into the deep end all of a sudden and tells you to deal with it. From the arkship's point of view, in the AMA Friday, Gaffney explained that they meant the arkships to be for people that have never played an mmo before and they're looking to make the skippable in the (hopefully) near future.

The amps used to be really janky and all over the place. Now you have all your stat point modifiers in tier 1 but in tiers 2 and 3 is where you build how you play your class. It's basically a lot of passive utility and conditionals with the bonus of a new ability at the end of the Assault/Support/Utility lines.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Every time I've tried to make a new class to see what their skills are like, the arkships have caused me to commit heinous crimes in the name of Khorne.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Takes me 10-minutes tops to breeze through it, though just being dumped into the world would be nice I suppose. (Just remember to give us the levels we'd gain in the Arkship+the gear)

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    and they're looking to make the skippable in the (hopefully) near future.

Wait, what ? You're the danged developer, don't you have control over your own game ? If you want it to be skippable, make it skippable.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    and they're looking to make the skippable in the (hopefully) near future.

Wait, what ? You're the danged developer, don't you have control over your own game ? If you want it to be skippable, make it skippable.

That, unfortunately, is not how Game development works when it comes to games of this caliber.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Time, release schedule and priorities.

Glal on
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Don't understand why the Explorer gets all their locations marked with an arrow pointing to them and Scientist actually has to explore.
    To make them different. You like digging around, be a Scientist, you like chasing dots, be an Explorer. Personally I enjoyed having to look into nooks and crannies to find stuff.
    I'll pass on the almost-inevitable "but Explorers have explore in the name!" discussion, we've had that a million times before.

The thing that I think people forget is that Explorer stuff is way more not obvious in comparison to Scientist stuff. Explorer Stuff is normally somewhat out of the way, where Scientist is mostly found while doing questing. Because of that you need some kind of marking, otherwise you'll never find them.

Plus, in about a month after release there would be an add-on that does what the current explorer stuff does already if it didn't exist, so they may as well do it now in the base game.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

The thing that I think people forget is that Explorer stuff is way more not obvious in comparison to Scientist stuff. Explorer Stuff is normally somewhat out of the way, where Scientist is mostly found while doing questing. Because of that you need some kind of marking, otherwise you'll never find them.

Plus, in about a month after release there would be an add-on that does what the current explorer stuff does already if it didn't exist, so they may as well do it now in the base game.

Same argument applies to scientist stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    That 25 adventure was a little disappointing. It just seemed much too easy though the structure was there. I think maybe if the veteran version is beefier it will be sweet.

I really wanna do the 30 adventure on my slinger now. That constant killing tower defense style seems like a blast.

How many people here are planning to play the moment head start begins?Been thinking about it and I want to try to go bed early and wake up a set 3am to do it myself.

Edit:easy not ready ugh autocorrect

Seeing as it starts on a weekend, I'd be totally down for doing something like starting right at launch. Do we know that they're actually going live that early? I'd think they'd keep up with the 7am thing.

I'm still debating on if I should request and extra day off to play on Monday too.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    The thing that I think people forget is that Explorer stuff is way more not obvious in comparison to Scientist stuff. Explorer Stuff is normally somewhat out of the way, where Scientist is mostly found while doing questing.

Have you played both? Datacubes can be way out of the way, and even if they're not too far off the beaten path they take a ton of wandering around to find manually.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Huh, my Engineer's UI changed again. Admittedly, I've not been doing much in the open beta except logging in, however when 2.0 went live I could swear the volatility bar was still the same (metal hexagon with a black/yellow striped bar), where now it's the same swish stylised look as everything else.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I think I'd be more okay with the Dom Arkship if any of the plots from it were resolved.

There was stuff going on about saboteurs being on-ship, systems going crazy from tampering, people's memories being altered and re-written to be Exile sympathizers, etc.

And none of that actually comes up as you're pushed through a testing system to demonstrate basic aptitude for killing Exile holograms.

Like, if you actually did something to deserve the Big Damn Hero ending other than not be a mouthbreather, that would make it feel better.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    The scientist helm is better than the explorer one.

Actually there's already an addon which puts Path stuff on your map.

Qanamil wrote: »
    The scientist helm is better than the explorer one.

Clips through my Draken's forehead/brow :(

@PMAvers‌ I think the whole "ooooh brainwashing!" thing was just a load of bull thrown at you, actually.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    All I know is that when I was an explorer, I found a door that needed a scientist to open, and when I was a scientist, I scanned a purple crystal and got a buff that let me jump like a mile into the sky and I died from the fall damage and it was awesome.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    For our Exile guild, here are some holomarks. I don't think you can really have such a guild name without the sheriff badge symbol.

1 4r9lVGI.png2 c8xSkXu.png3 WLo7KtA.png

4 ktKzrF8.png5 hs7Shpa.png6 6TKzvyn.png

7 DfxzZei.png (you know you like it)

Are we voting on this? I really like 1 and 4.

It's a bit rough, I think (1) might look the coolest in-game. I like the badge quality of (4) and (3) has a great shape but the melding could be a little off-putting.

Egos on
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, I think I'd be more okay with the Dom Arkship if any of the plots from it were resolved.

There was stuff going on about saboteurs being on-ship, systems going crazy from tampering, people's memories being altered and re-written to be Exile sympathizers, etc.

And none of that actually comes up as you're pushed through a testing system to demonstrate basic aptitude for killing Exile holograms.

Like, if you actually did something to deserve the Big Damn Hero ending other than not be a mouthbreather, that would make it feel better.

I feel like this might be intentional for if/when they wanted to make it skippable later. Don't put in anything crucial that people could miss.

Also did I miss something in the Dom intro or does the emperor reveal kind of fall flat on its face? "Yes, now you learn this deadly secret...the emperor isn't really here in this room! He's appearing via hologram! Don't worry, he's alive, I saw him 30 years ago! Don't tell anyone!"

Ok...? That's only logical, I didn't expect that I would actually meet him in person, it's much safer to just appear via hologram. What does it matter?

Now if he was only a hologram, only an AI, that might be a noteworthy secret, because then who knows who is actually in power.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2014
    The secret is that nobody has seen him in person for 50 years, and people were expecting him to travel to Nexus considering it's the Eldan homeworld and whatnot. Imagine if nobody has seen Obama or Harper their entire terms except for the head of the Secret Service and whatever the fuck Canadians have.

Remember that one Emperor personally beat the shit out of a draken in a duel, so it's not a position of royal isolation.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Now if he was only a hologram, only an AI, that might be a noteworthy secret, because then who knows who is actually in power.

That is exactly the point, is she telling you the truth when she says she met the Emperor 30 years ago ? And if she is, what's been going on during those 30 years ? I haven't played the Dominion storyline any further than the starter zones, but I would expect (hope ?) that the theme of "Wait, just who is running the Dominion ? " is developed throughout the game. Similar to the Imperial storyline in SWTOR, where you learn all sorts of frightening stuff about just how brittle and corrupt the Empire really is.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    That 25 adventure was a little disappointing. It just seemed much too easy though the structure was there. I think maybe if the veteran version is beefier it will be sweet.

I really wanna do the 30 adventure on my slinger now. That constant killing tower defense style seems like a blast.

How many people here are planning to play the moment head start begins?Been thinking about it and I want to try to go bed early and wake up a set 3am to do it myself.

Seeing as it starts on a weekend, I'd be totally down for doing something like starting right at launch. Do we know that they're actually going live that early? I'd think they'd keep up with the 7am thing.

I'm still debating on if I should request and extra day off to play on Monday too.

12am pst. So 3am est or my time.

I just asked beezel cause I wanted to see if he would be around to get the guild going. The sooner get it the sooner we get influence. And it takes awhile to get influence. We need to get that bank tab

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

12am pst. So 3am est or my time.

I just asked beezel cause I wanted to see if he would be around to get the guild going. The sooner get it the sooner we get influence. And it takes awhile to get influence. We need to get that bank tab

I'll be up, no doubt

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I might be able to too, just depends on how much hype and insomnia I'm suffering from.

I can't do all-nighters like I use to...well I never did that many. I'm not that old but I certainly value my beauty sleep.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Personal pet theory is that he's actually on Nexus, or somewhere nearby watching everything. I'd swear I remember reading that the travel time to Nexus is similar to how long he's been gone, hence the need for the Arkships.

He's in the background monitoring to see what his nobles would *do* in such a case. Would they continue to put the Empire's stability first? Or would they set off and only worry about their personal agendas.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to echo Kai's sentiments that Wilds is way too easy. Riot isn't hard, exactly, but you can get in over your head if you aren't careful. The main problem is that I get the feeling that the devs were worried that Wilds could easily stagnate into a stalemate if players weren't good enough to beat the AI. In a normal encounter, you eventually die because the healer ran out of focus or something. In a mode like Wilds it's definitely possible to not fail but be incapable of taking the last few totems to push and win.

The end result is a mode so easy that the AI opponents were dying to our minions while we took down a Roshan-esque boss. The only positive thing is that the mode seems like it could be real easy to convert into a battleground, and I'd love to see that.

YL9WnCY.png
    What's the best way to get influence? Just standard grouping with other guild members to level up, running adventures mainly? Are there other ways that are less obvious? Can I buy influence somehow?

PMAvers wrote: »
    Personal pet theory is that he's actually on Nexus, or somewhere nearby watching everything. I'd swear I remember reading that the travel time to Nexus is similar to how long he's been gone, hence the need for the Arkships.

He's in the background monitoring to see what his nobles would *do* in such a case. Would they continue to put the Empire's stability first? Or would they set off and only worry about their personal agendas.

The relationship between Nexus, The Eldan and the dominion is...well let's just say some shit's about to go down when it's all said and done. Dominion actually got kind of a raw deal in all this.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Since I've held off on reading a lot of back story, do they explain what -race- the emperor is? He surely isn't one of the four playable Dominion races. He looks like a space elf, (go Eldar!) so maybe he's secretly an Eldan?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    He's a Luminai, A human/Eldan hybrid and descendant of Dominus the Half-Blood who was the son of Tresayn Toria; A Cassian swordmaiden of immeasurable skill

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Since I've held off on reading a lot of back story, do they explain what -race- the emperor is? He surely isn't one of the four playable Dominion races. He looks like a space elf, (go Eldar!) so maybe he's secretly an Eldan?

There was at least one more of those crazy elf lookin' guys so far that I've seen in questing stories. I have no idea what the lore is as they definitely aren't one of the playable races.

• AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    So a friend and I tried one of the level 20 dungeons last night and I definitely liked it. Had a bit of trouble here and there, some people said some mean things about my tanking, and my friend ended up tanking the last stretch but we finished it.

I gotta say the biggest problems I had were: knowing if I had aggro and knowing if the healer had focus. I'll probably need an addon like tidyplates from WoW to feel comfortable with aggro and is there anyway to see your parties resources? I keep pulling when the healer had like half or less since I was so used to the breakneck speed of WoW.

Minor quibbles I suppose, I think I'll try the other dungeon tonight.

This discussion has been closed.