As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Dawn of the Final Day: 24 Hours Remain. GET. HYPE.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the badge on the Exile guild symbol sitting a bit farther to one side on all of those examples?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is. Remember that there are a bunch of symbols, so they can't be centered for every background and vice versa.

Trust me, it bugs me too.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    I'd have thought that there could be a way to make slight adjustments to a symbol; size and alignment, etc.

Oh well.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Me: "Awesome, the google doc tells me the Esper Amp I want is in Whitevale for Esper, so let's just head over there and quest a few levels early."
    Me: "Yup it sure is here, now to quest some and get that 8000 zone rep to buy it"
    *4 hours later and 3 quest hubs completed*
    Me: "None of these quests are rewarding zone rep T_T"

I'm tempted to call this one a bug, as it's not been my experience from the other zones I've run through so far.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If you can only reserve one name, who cares if it holds it for 90 days?

Most games let people reserve like 8 names on level 1 characters who then never get played and sit there, holding those names for-fucking-ever.

And people will defend their right to hold names on unplayed level 1 characters in mmos they no longer play to the death.

I care because it's just not the same if you have to play without the name you've been using in every single RPG for the last 24 years. My character name has been my alter ego for longer than some Wildstar players have been alive. It's part of my identity.

Reserving it globally for 90 days is a ridiculous system that's going to upset more people than it will please. Were I the Wildstar devs, I wouldn't have even bothered with this system. It would have been better for everyone overall to just let chance reign.

I would have been okay with it, if it were per server... or if your reservation was "used up" the moment you create a character on a server. As is... I'm scared that I'm gonna get screwed. In other MMOs, I would just try different servers until I got the name I wanted and that's largely how I picked a server.

Hopefully they post a time for when name reservation goes live sometime today. I work nights so if I have to get up early, it'd be nice to know what time I should be hitting the hay. Going to bed early is no easy feat for me. It's like going to bed at 6PM for a normal 9-5er.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apparently GMG is sold out of Wildstar.

That bodes well for the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I was unaware that GMG could sell out of a game...

am I the only one who didn't know !?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well shit guess I put off using that coupon to preorder a little too long.

Ho vell.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Huh. Maybe I should get around to pressing preorder. Or maybe not - I'm just logging into beta right now for the bonuses at launch. I haven't decided on a class, but that's because they all feel workable at the moment to me.

I'd do stalker, but I'm worried it'll be massively popular at launch (because stealth class). What is everyone seeing the most of?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I thought you already preordered, 3clipse?

Nooooooooooo

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I'm loving the stalker too - stunning an enemy during a telegraph, then unloading two impales from behind with the position bonus and the moment of opportunity bonus and watching them literally explode into pieces just doesn't seem to get old.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    I was unaware that GMG could sell out of a game...

am I the only one who didn't know !?

I found this out when they had a coupon that worked for Guild Wars 2. So a pretty good sign.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Huh. Maybe I should get around to pressing preorder. Or maybe not - I'm just logging into beta right now for the bonuses at launch. I haven't decided on a class, but that's because they all feel workable at the moment to me.

I'd do stalker, but I'm worried it'll be massively popular at launch (because stealth class). What is everyone seeing the most of?

Stalkers are most assuredly going to be popular, but personally I've never cared what is or isn't popular when I choose a class, I play what seems like it will be fun to me. :)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Stalkers are most assuredly going to be popular, but personally I've never cared what is or isn't popular when I choose a class, I play what seems like it will be fun to me. :)

I usually care if it impacts my ability to find a group, but unless this game is special I'm sure I'll find plenty of work as a stalker tank.

InfamyDeferred on
  • Options

I usually care if it impacts my ability to find a group, but unless this game is special I'm sure I'll find plenty of work as a stalker tank.

True - and the best part is that every class can heal or tank (sheer genius, honestly), so I can just have a leveling spec and dungeon spec and get lightning queue times.
    I'm loving the stalker too - stunning an enemy during a telegraph, then unloading two impales from behind with the position bonus and the moment of opportunity bonus and watching them literally explode into pieces just doesn't seem to get old.

Yeah, they are undoubtedly the fastest levelers, since you just stealth>impale every fight.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    I thought you already preordered, 3clipse?

Nooooooooooo

Oh I mean I'm going to without question, I've just been busy at work lately and I procrastinate on things.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, GMGalso was the only way to get the game for $45. I imagine a lot of sales that would have gone to any other store went there instead.

I'm sure it's still a great sign, but I imagine it's "sold out" in that GMG sold all the copies they wanted to at $45. I wouldn't even be surprised if they get more and don't discount those.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You can still, and have been able to, buy the game through Amazon without any trouble.

Or direct from Carbine, I believe.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    If their previous statistics were correct, all the classes were nearly even for popularity. Spellslingers were like 1% more popular than the next highest.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    If their previous statistics were correct, all the classes were nearly even for popularity. Spellslingers were like 1% more popular than the next highest.

This is good.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to congratulate the Wildstar team on achieving my fastest uninstall in... I don't know how long, actually. Spoon-feeding me "kill X mobs" and FedEx quests right from the start was a sure way of never getting me as a customer! If there is something different about this game, I'm now never going to see it.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Well, GMGalso was the only way to get the game for $45. I imagine a lot of sales that would have gone to any other store went there instead.

I'm sure it's still a great sign, but I imagine it's "sold out" in that GMG sold all the copies they wanted to at $45. I wouldn't even be surprised if they get more and don't discount those.

My guess is they simply ran out of codes and will likely eventually get more (though I guess that's more dependent on NCSoft sending them more). I bet they'll be back in stock before launch and there'll likely be at least a 20% discount running.

Also GMG tends to just discount pretty much everything. I'm not sure how they stay in business but I don't think I've seen them end a discount prematurely due to stock and then sell without a discount before so I hesitate to think it has anything to do with the price (aside from a lot of people buying from them due to discount and actually just ran out of codes).

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Has there been an MMO yet without "kill x mobs" quests?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Has there been an MMO yet without "kill x mobs" quests?

Well there was ...

But what about ...

... Yeah, I got nothing.

Ah, well. Back to dodging lasers and not standing in red.

*entire floor turns red* Dangit!

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I can't help but chuckle at the telegraphs later on that do their initial telegraph animation that's easy to stand out of, and then immediately followup with a split-second secondary telegraph that's usually placed at the locations the player would likely have stood in to avoid the initial one. Until you learn the pattern you almost always get hit by the second blast.

It's like the mobs are learning and are trying to kill me.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I can't help but chuckle at the telegraphs later on that do their initial telegraph animation that's easy to stand out of, and then immediately followup with a split-second secondary telegraph that's usually placed at the locations the player would likely have stood in to avoid the initial one. Until you learn the pattern you almost always get hit by the second blast.

I've also been impressed that not all the telegraphs are just lazy "Fuck you melee characters!" in nature. I've always been wary of playing melee characters cause they always seem to be the ones who get to suffer when people want to make boss encounters "interesting". Which usually means they give them a 50 ft horrible death radius and call it done.

• Options

I would assume stalkers + spellslingers are the most popular at first. It may change once people try out different classes. Personally I've come across a surprising variety, but that ITT is partly because of what I just said.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I have to ask the question again: are the PA exiles going to be on an east coast server?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    With so many people trying everything cause they know there will still be a wipe it's hard to get a good read, honestly. The first weekend I played I saw nothing but Medics.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I have to ask the question again: are the PA exiles going to be on an east coast server?

My understanding is that the PA Exiles and Dominion will be on the same server.

No idea what time zone though.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Unless they've changed things, there's no such thing as an East Coast server. It's just America, and then the EU ones.

They also haven't even announced the servers yet.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    eobet wrote: »
    I just wanted to congratulate the Wildstar team on achieving my fastest uninstall in... I don't know how long, actually. Spoon-feeding me "kill X mobs" and FedEx quests right from the start was a sure way of never getting me as a customer! If there is something different about this game, I'm now never going to see it.

You must not like any MMOs released in the last 15 years then...

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I don't think there are east or west coast servers?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey Exile guys on Mike Ross server, I made a dude, names Skragg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I have literally never played an MMO that doesn't have those quests right from the get-go. I just really don't understand how someone can jump into an MMO and be all "I have to kill six snow moose? Well, count me out." If anything, Wildstar is weird because you they don't even hand you a weapon until like five minutes in, which is Carbine being REALLY hand-holdy but whatever.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

I've also been impressed that not all the telegraphs are just lazy "Fuck you melee characters!" in nature. I've always been wary of playing melee characters cause they always seem to be the ones who get to suffer when people want to make boss encounters "interesting". Which usually means they give them a 50 ft horrible death radius and call it done.

In Ellevar or whatever we called a explorer-path boss mob in that had all sorts of crazy telegraphs at level 15. Lots of bars that would go out straight then bend at right angles, or boxes that would essentially chase you, by continually spawning and expanding just about at the same amount of time as you get away from the first one while strafing.

Was a lot of fun and difficult for people just questing about.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

You must not like any MMOs released in the last 15 years then...

eobet hates everything, don't mind him

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Giving this a try after Gabe's post.

While I am excited to play I have to say I thought we'd seen the light with GW2 allowing surnames and am a bit disappointed this uses just one word.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Also, Wildstar isn't claiming to offer anything "different". They are trying to package up some familiar elements of theme park and sandbox mmos into an arrangement that is challenging and enjoyable.

But it's not mold-breaking, it's not a WoW-killer, and it's not "the next evolution in online gaming11!!!11"

If you don't like mmos, you will not like Wildstar. It is an mmo.

This discussion has been closed.