As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I enjoy the game, but I really dislike dying for no reason. If I don't see a guy and he kills me or if I foolishly tab out and a zombie gets me fine.

But when you're basing a game off of survival and you can be killed essentially by poor programming (that I highly doubt will ever be addressed) well ....

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    There's ups and downs to dayz, that's frustrating. Like Ham says though, it's helpful to not get too caught up on each life or the gear. Easy come easy go. But if the game isn't fun for you right now, there's nothing wrong with a break. I've taken more short breaks with the SA than I probably did with the mod.

Right now the only survival aspect of the alpha is whether you can put up with playing with the bugginess =P

Oh and in other news, Arma 3 is on sale and also a free weekend I think?
    DayZ is also 15% off.

Ash of Yew on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/bohemia-servers-hacked-dayz-source-code-possibly-stolen

rut roooooooow

And we are running weekly zeus arma 3 coop missions over in GandT. all welcome. We may throw a free weekend mission together.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Most of the stuff is run server side any more so I'm not too concerned about that in terms of increased hacks. If anything I suppose it could potentially speed up the process of finding loop holes for the devs. It's also so early in development that tons of stuff is going to change.
    It's a bit disconcerting for sure, but all we can do is wait and see what happens with it.

I need to start practicing sniping dudes in DayZ again. Been sniping suckers in arma 3 and I've always enjoyed it, just DayZ ballistics are so wonky right now and lag is such a huge factor I haven't really been into it. Think I'll have to remedy that soon though and get a feel for it.

Ham and I were playing. Got hold of a scope, but couldn't find a bipod or compensator. Managed to get the first dude in a group of two that I shot at with relatively few shots, at about 685m. Then missed a bunch of others guys =P

Forgot about the current bug where you can't even see your shot impacts past 100m. Sniping is in a pretty shitty spot right now, hopefully they work some of this shit out soon. Supposedly they're going to make it so you can hold a button or something to stall the reload animation which would be nice too. Looking forward to the pso scope, as the lack of mildots blows and being able to range people easily in game would be cool. I don't mind some extra challenges as sniping in arma is typically just page up/down, but the bugs are not particularly interesting for that purpose =P

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    What a buttholeeee

Nice shots though.

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Ham and I were playing. Got hold of a scope, but couldn't find a bipod or compensator. Managed to get the first dude in a group of two that I shot at with relatively few shots, at about 685m. Then missed a bunch of others guys =P

Forgot about the current bug where you can't even see your shot impacts past 100m. Sniping is in a pretty shitty spot right now, hopefully they work some of this shit out soon. Supposedly they're going to make it so you can hold a button or something to stall the reload animation which would be nice too. Looking forward to the pso scope, as the lack of mildots blows and being able to range people easily in game would be cool. I don't mind some extra challenges as sniping in arma is typically just page up/down, but the bugs are not particularly interesting for that purpose =P

?

I can see mine at 400m regularly

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hamuel wrote: »
    guys, no matter how many points the Sporter earns you in battle, it's pretty terrible. Across approximately 30 confirmed hits on 3 separate targets, I can safely report zero kills.

I dumped that shit for a Blaze with zero ammo. that's how much I wanted to get rid of it.

Gun damage is in a really weird place right now, I think it mostly has to do with the way how clothing protects you from damage. Even a t-shirt functions as some sort of vest you have to punch through.

edited May 2014
    Everything is currently heavily skewed in favor of the M4 - I think what bothers me most at the moment is how you seem to find more ammunition for it than any other guns, maybe because there are more varieties of magazines. I would really love to use other guns, use pistols, but I seem to find an M4 and a mag before I even find a magazine which fits in my pistol. Also wish they hadn't introduced 60 round magazines.

Platy on
    Everything is currently heavily skewered in favor of the M4 - I think what bothers me most at the moment is how you seem to find more ammunition for it than any other guns, maybe because there are more varieties of magazines. I would really love to use other guns, use pistols, but I seem to find an M4 and a mag before I even find a magazine which fits in my pistol. Also wish they hadn't introduced 60 round magazines.

my weapon of choice is the 1911

LOVE that gun.

shame finding clips for it basically requires godly intervention or a trip to NWAF.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Everything is currently heavily skewered in favor of the M4 - I think what bothers me most at the moment is how you seem to find more ammunition for it than any other guns, maybe because there are more varieties of magazines. I would really love to use other guns, use pistols, but I seem to find an M4 and a mag before I even find a magazine which fits in my pistol. Also wish they hadn't introduced 60 round magazines.

my weapon of choice is the 1911

LOVE that gun.

shame finding clips for it basically requires godly intervention or a trip to NWAF.
    I have to agree. The 1911 sounds like a MAN's gun, and I'm sad I only got to fire it twice last night before it got ruined by M4 spray. BO-RING.

it just took me all of 30 minutes to get a blaze, sks, taloon pack, and up to healthy status, with my cool-ass riders jacket and rocket shades. game2ez

edited May 2014
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Ash of Yew wrote: »

?

I can see mine at 400m regularly

Did they fix it? I couldn't see mine still. It was a bug not too long ago so figured it was still the deal. Maybe I was just unlucky.

New devblog
    http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/85919354781/the-challenge-and-saga-of-zombie-pathfinding

ahhhh yeah
    RkKyCB6.jpg

Cool stuff imo. Fishing and also lumberjacking and basically "mining" (wack'n stones with pickaxes for rocks) all are coming.
    I look forward to all the QQ about "wahhh why are they focusing on fishing in my zombie game???"

Ash of Yew on
    edited May 2014
    Everything is currently heavily skewed in favor of the M4 - I think what bothers me most at the moment is how you seem to find more ammunition for it than any other guns, maybe because there are more varieties of magazines. I would really love to use other guns, use pistols, but I seem to find an M4 and a mag before I even find a magazine which fits in my pistol. Also wish they hadn't introduced 60 round magazines.

Totally agree with this, but don't worry, soon it will be replaced by AKMs with 75 round drums and pso scopes =P

It does make me sorta wish they'll throw in some more military grade weaponry though. As terrible as the AKM sounds as an alternative to the m4 in terms of it likely being as good or better, at least it will be an option I suppose instead of everyone just only using m4s. So throw in some more assault rifles like L85s, FAMAS, AK variants, even a straight m16 or something to round it out some more. Would like to see some proper sniper rifles added as well, the SVD is coming soon but an m24 or cz would be rad.

As much as I love the more obscure stuff like the blaze or the incoming longhorn, I just wanna see something to give the "boring" types of players some variety as well so fights are more interesting for those of us who choose not to just grab the best gun in every situation.

Ash of Yew on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If done right AKs wouldn't increase the amount of assault rifles but they would halve the amount of assault rifle ammunition.

ashwood stick + rope = fishing rod, I hope

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    THat fish totally looks like it'll suck your dick if you don't eat it.

Definitely can't see my shot impacts still past a set distance. Makes sniping pretty interesting to say the least.

Hammy and me killed two more guys on the school roof, one was a cheater with stupendous amounts of ammunition in his backpack. Then we had a fight against another pair, one ran straight at Hammy and killed him. I shot that one, but the other guy broke my leg and afterwards retreated into a house to shoot at me from cover. Also saw two other people doing that today, I think one of them shot Guy.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Just got back into the game after a good friend picked it up. First thing that happened was we got mugged. Then I shot a new spawn because he spooked me.
    I missed you DayZ.

edited May 2014
    Killed two people (Possibly 3)

Spent 40 minutes unconscious because I listened to ham.

Got shot in the face by ham.

Then got gang molested by a bunch of clones with green hardhats and fire extinguishers.

Just another DayZ day.

Buttcleft on
    I killed at least ten people today! That's pretty good for my standards, I think it might even be a personal record.

I know I was somewhere around that number on the day. Happy things were so eventful, even if the server was laggy.

edited May 2014
    Had my first legit hacker encounter today.

Having a mosin and the works with an ammo crate of ammo from today's adventures I decided to go get my long range sniping on. Went to Klen, some where around 119, 036 which is pretty low on the hill where it starts to meet the first of two open fields south of the airfield. I was back from the treeline, still in the main woods of Klen, under a pine at about 875m out with a clear shot on the eastern jail doors, the atc, and basically all that south side of the airfield. A pretty sweet spot!

First server I join, see 2 guys who just killed a third on the jail doors. Perfect setup to hopefully take some shots, that was my plan to shoot dudes trying to breach the jail etc. Unfortunately, server restarts.
    After trying to settle on a new one I find one with a high pop and low ping. I notice a familiar name in the player list, SiSi, one of the a group of 3 wall glitchers we encountered there before. It was a dude from that group where they started playing music and dancing inside the walls, the friend of the guy who told me it's ok to cheat because the game is unfinished.

I think, well whatever, they'll be in their fucken walls and it will mean people entering might provide me with shots as they hesitate to go in or whatever. Or best case I figure, maybe they'll even kill a guy in the hall and come to loot and I can pop the fucker. Sure enough the jail doors are closed even though its a full 40 man server.

I'm sitting under my tree, in the middle of the woods and start getting shot at. No sound of the gun, just the sound of rounds around me. No fucking way did some distant sniper spot me, I haven't fired a single shot or anything, so I'm already hugely suspicious. I get up and run, and I'm looking over my shoulder the entire time. Don't see shit. Then I see a dude literally teleport in right behind me.
    Sooo, while I figured such things existed and have heard as much I hadn't really encountered anything definitive up till this point. If it had been one thing or the other, I could attribute it to bad luck and lag, but it was just too coincidental.

Currently uploading the video, it starts right after I've already been shot at under the tree and I'm getting up to run. You can see the guy, when he tps in, look disorientated for half a second which further leads me to believe it wasn't just lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmuv4slNnVg&feature=youtu.be

My mic on my headset wasn't down because I was playing alone but I'm just calling him a scumbag and such =P

Ash of Yew on
    Wow, that's pretty despicable. I'm even willing to bet it was one of those fuckin guys in SiSi's party.

I really don't understand the motivation to cheat like that.

I mean, its an unfinished game, you don't get any ranking or boost or reward, theres nothing to be gained from it. I mean, dicks gon' be dicks, but they usually don't put the effort in unless they get something tangible in return.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    People cheat because they're assholes, basically.

They want to have -their- version of fun, even if it fucks over everyone else's version of fun. Not really any other explanation, unfortunately. Just assholery.

Something I discovered and subsequently made peace with in Dark Souls. Some people are just assholes, and you have to just shrug and keep playing.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    "Fun" is a subjective term, and if your definition of fun doesn't fall in line with someone else's, there will be conflict. Unfortunately, their version of fun is hot garbage.

Haha yeah, I will be the first to admit I've played like a total dick in games before, and I often say I care about my own fun and my friends' fun more than anyone else's in an online game. But I think the line is drawn at out right exploiting/cheating. If it's fair play within the game, whatever floats your boat, if you're cheating I've got no tolerance for that.

Whatever though, while I wouldn't doubt we've run into similar stuff before just without really realizing it, it's still not as bad as the shit that went on in the mod.

Yeah, to me that's the difference. What we do is 100% legitimate - and even then, dude, you're not a dick in DayZ. I've never seen you do anything that made me think 'whoa this guy is a complete asshole' - shooting people is not playing DayZ like a dick. If other people didn't shoot me or try to kill me I would never enjoy DayZ. That's a big part of the game - the everpresent threat of other people.

We may be aggressive, we may be almost always hostile, but we're never doing things with the mindset 'this will ruin someone's day'. Cheating just does that. You gain literally nothing except the satisfaction of having ruined someone else's fun.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    hacking galls me in a way that say, banditry does not because you know what

with banditry we're all playing with the same deck of cards, y'know?

we could all do that, anybody could do that. it's within the scope of the game. if you're a PK in the old days of Ultima Online (which I was), that was fine because hey

that was part of the game

if you're a zero-sec pirate scumbag in EVE, that's fine because hey

that's part of the game

everyone playing the game knows it's part of the game, and if they don't want it to be part of the game experience for them they have options. if the individual game has options that enables them to avoid that experience (like high-sec space in EVE) then they can avoid it if they don't want to engage in it, or if it's a game where it's an intrinsic and known quantity that is considered part of the challenge of playing the game (like DayZ is) then their option is to not play it at all.

they know what they're getting into, and they have the option of choosing how much of that style of gameplay they want to engage in themselves. if you want to be a hero or a bandit is your call but you know bandits are out there and are a part of the game and you know they're playing the same game with the same rules as you, they don't have any advantage over you aside from being "morally unrestricted"

with hacking, you're not playing the same game. it's not the same rules, it's not the same deck of cards. you're not doing the same things everyone could do. it's worse than broken game mechanics or pay-to-win or unbalanced level-up systems, because you're using secret techniques available only to you and yours to fuck with people playing the game in a way they can't deal with or respond to.

that's what pisses me off about it, not just that they're having fun at someone else's expense. because shit, bandits do that and lord knows i engage in some banditry

it's that they do it in such an unapproachably unfair way, in a way that cannot be overcome or responded to or dealt with, that's what pisses me off. you can never "get one over" on a hacker, because they're literally not playing the same game with the same rules as you

Its not the fact that they are dicks, its the fact that they are lazy dicks.

They cant even spend the time to get the m4 and the 2-4 60 round mags to be dicks, they just magic it up so they can get right to popping their hateboners.

edited May 2014
    vsove wrote: »
    Yeah, to me that's the difference. What we do is 100% legitimate - and even then, dude, you're not a dick in DayZ. I've never seen you do anything that made me think 'whoa this guy is a complete asshole' - shooting people is not playing DayZ like a dick. If other people didn't shoot me or try to kill me I would never enjoy DayZ. That's a big part of the game - the everpresent threat of other people.

We may be aggressive, we may be almost always hostile, but we're never doing things with the mindset 'this will ruin someone's day'. Cheating just does that. You gain literally nothing except the satisfaction of having ruined someone else's fun.

Haha yeah I was more referring to years ago in UO, I used to grief dudes pretty hard. Me and my buddies basically ran some guilds off the server we were on. We never cheated though, we were just immature buttholes.

In arma 3 news, I went 20-0 sniping guys and then ran out of ammo and they don't give ya a pistol any more. So I threw my gun on the ground and ran into town, and snuck up on a dude and tossed one of my grenades on him. Blew him up, got his machine gun and killed 5 more guys before I died. My best record yet!

Ash of Yew on
    Sooooo Bororm is the bastard child of Jason Statham and Rambo

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

They want to have -their- version of fun, even if it fucks over everyone else's version of fun. Not really any other explanation, unfortunately. Just assholery.

Something I discovered and subsequently made peace with in Dark Souls. Some people are just assholes, and you have to just shrug and keep playing.

Well it's a game about killing people and stealing all their stuff. It's Asshole Simulator 2014.

Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Well it's a game about killing people and stealing all their stuff. It's Asshole Simulator 2014.

Like Pony said - assholery in a game where said assholery is implicit and everyone knows what they're in for is not really assholery? I mean, it's a fundamental part of the game and you know what kind of game it is. It makes no bones about that.

Assholery by being a hacking piece of shit is not something I should expect when I click that DayZ shortcut. If someone murders me and steals my shit, fine. That's cool. If they do it because they're teleporting and invincible, that's a lot different.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    Legit dying is annoying but fair.

Dying to some jackass who keeps teleporting around the map so you cant see him and end up with him putting 50 rounds in your back, that's just bullshit

Ov3rcharge wrote: »

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I rarely care about what other people are carrying, because more often than not, the folks we kill are all cookie-cutter carbon copies of one another, decked head to toe in olive drab banality, usually carrying M4s and other garbage I don't care for. If I'm killing out of necessity, it's probably just for the ammo they're carrying or for survival's sake.

But mostly, I'm killing other players because it's a whole hell of a lot of fun.