As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Dawn of the Final Day: 24 Hours Remain. GET. HYPE.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Leveled my spell slinger up to 10, tried pvp for the first time. I have to say, wildstars pvp is a significant improvement over what has been provided by games like it.

I can only wonder what the high end content will be like, amazing from what I've seen so far I'd wager.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the dominion terrible? I just played the first few missions and felt like a bad person. I wish it wasn't so much these guys are good and these guys are bad, because I really like the exiles as a group, but the dominion has cooler characters. Choices.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    kafziel wrote: »
    Is it me, or is the launcher not doing right today? I cannot launch or patch the game, it just sits at the tiny window with the bar that precedes the actual launcher.

@kafziel‌ you're not a verizon fios customer by chance?

My problem yesterday was a fios problem. Looked like there was an error with downloading the files that tell you if you need to patch. Turned out it was just fios.

What is fios actually doing that's causing the problem?

Apparently there is some on-going problem with DNS resolution of the Wildstar patch servers.

I finally eliminated this crap by flushing DNS and adding the patch servers to the Windows hosts file....

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Don't worry, the Exiles commit plenty of heinous warcrimes too.

Its murder, mayhem and biological warfare for everyone!

Besides, Chua is just misunderstood.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    kafziel wrote: »
    Is it me, or is the launcher not doing right today? I cannot launch or patch the game, it just sits at the tiny window with the bar that precedes the actual launcher.

@kafziel‌ you're not a verizon fios customer by chance?

My problem yesterday was a fios problem. Looked like there was an error with downloading the files that tell you if you need to patch. Turned out it was just fios.

What is fios actually doing that's causing the problem?

Fios just blows. I have Fios here in Virginia... it was great about a year ago, now it just blow donkey balls. They throttle shit or put traffic on low priority paths without any regard to wtf they are doing. Sometimes I just use a VPN when I want to actually get the bandwidth I'm paying for.

Its actually impossible to get the wildstar installer through Fios for me. I have to put the URL into a proxy avoidance site... and it downloads almost instantly. Without it, the download gets about 1 meg done and then slowly the download goes to 0 KB/sec.

It almost just as bad with the actual game download/patching, but adding the DNS entries to my host file fixes it. Of course that isn't Fios directly throttling shit like the installer.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    On Boom Boxes, you get them on launch day and you get 1 for every day of the beta you simply logged in right?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you get THREE per day you logged in, actually. Can only open one of them per day.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I'll be at work D:
    lemme know how it goes
    10PM PDT? I'll be sleeping.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    there is always the Op before the actual head start :smiley:

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone wanted a rundown on classes that wasn't fluff and PR speak, so here we go...

To start, Focus is a healing resource shared by three classes. You start with 1000 and deplete as you cast heals. Focus regenerates very slowly in combat unless you have some focus-regen gear, so healers much keep an eye on this resource throughout the fight. Note that classes without focus do half some limited healing capability (typically self-targeted), but it's not link to any resource except for whatever class resource they may have.

9IIYXGn.png
    Armor: Light
    Weapon: Psyblades
    Roles: Ranged DPS (Assault), Healing (Support)
    Resources: Psi Points and Focus. Psy Points are more or less like combo points from WoW: build them up and use finishers that get a boosted effect with more Psy Points.
    Innate: You gain an absorb bubble, one Interrupt Armor, and you generate 1 Psy Point every second for five seconds. During this, you cannot move.

How does it play? Espers are largely known as immobile casters with REALLY long range. Their damage potential is very high if they're allow to just sit and act like a turret firing off their rotation. Even in PvP this isn't terrible, as I have topped damage meters when enemies let me sit and do my thing. As you level up, you do gain a variety of more mobile spells but these tend to require the Esper to give up their range for it. Esper healing is mostly targeted compared to the telegraphs that other healers use. They do have pets, but these tend to be cooldowns rather than permanent entities like Engineers.

MXIiZFH.png
    Armo: Light
    Weapon: Pistols
    Roles: Ranged DPS (Assault), Healing (Support)
    Resources: Spell Power and Focus. Spell Power is depleting by casting spells while surging, and slowly fills over time.
    Innate: Spell Surge, which gives your spells additional effects and boosted potency, but only lasts while you have enough spell power.

How does it play? Spellslingers are similar to Espers in that they play from a distance, only they possess more mobility at the cost of using narrow cones for many of their telegraphs. Unlike other classes, they don't really have a builder/spender dynamic like other classes. Instead you carefully spend your spell power and then wait for it to regenerate. Slingers also use a lot of charged skills, where you start casting a spell and can finish early for a diminished effect (and cost) or wait the whole duration for the maximum. Healing is a mix of telegraphs and targeted skills, with some absorbs thrown in for fun.

DYAOfL0.png
    Armor: Medium
    Weapon: Resonators
    Roles: Melee DPS (Assault), Healing (Support)
    Resources: Actuators and Focus. Actuators are built using specific skills, and other skills spend a specific amount of them to go off. Again, to put this in WoW terms, think the Monk's Chi.
    Innate: Energize, which passively gives any player who gets their shield healed by the medic to gain +25% shield mitigation. Above 30% HP, the Medic can activate to restore all Actuators and gain a temporary boost to Assault and Support Power. Below 30% HP, the Medic restores a portion of their shields in addition to gaining back the Actuators.

How does it play? "Melee" is a bit of a fuzzy for Medics, who do possess a few ranged moves but have to be up close to be at their most effective. As a result, Medics enjoy very generous telegraphs for both healing and damage, with short but wide sizes. Unlike the other two healers, Medics have NO targeted heals, meaning you have to nail those telegraphs but they are very mobile with no heals requiring them to sit still. Medics also prefer to repair shields in additional to healing. As for DPS, they have a lot of aoe that does damage in a static area in addition to dots.

lgVV8UP.png
    Armor: Medium
    Weapon: Claws
    Roles: Melee DPS (Assault), Tanking (Support)
    Resources: Suit Energy, which is just like a Rogue's energy bar. Many skill require it, and it quickly replenishes over time.
    Innates: Three suit modes: DPS, PvP, and Tanking. They all provide passive role-relevant buffs, and gain be activated to enter stealth. Stealth is usable in combat and each mode has its own perk when you leave stealth.

How does it play? Stalkers are the more mobile of the traditionally melee classes and unlike other games you frequently use stealth throughout combat. It's all about efficient using stealth to maximize whatever it is you're doing. As you imagine, they have a variety of CC such as stuns, tethers, and knockdowns. They seem to be more limited than Warriors or Medics at range, relying on their mobility and CC to stick to targets. Similar to the Spellslinger, Stalkers don't have the builder/spender paradigm in case you dislike that playstyle.

jjrxjjh.png
    Armor: Heavy
    Weapon: Greatswords
    Roles: Melee DPS (Assault), Tanking (Support)
    Resources: Kinetic Energy, which is built by attacks and required by other attacks. This is NOT similar to rage from WoW warriors: Kinetic Energy rapidly depletes and moves that require it do not consume it: skills just have a threshold of required energy before you can use them.
    Innates: Two stances: juggernaut and onslaught. One gives you tanking passives and the other gives you dps passives. Both can be activated to halt Kinetic Energy decay and give you further stat-relevant boosts for a few moments.

How does it play? Warriors are basically chunky melee machines that give up the Stalker's mobility for being beefier and having better ranged options. They can use their arm cannons to fire some light ranged attacks, pull enemies in, or taunt. Warriors also seem to lean a bit more on the AoE side of things than Stalkers, and you might consider them a happy medium between the more single-target Stalker and AoE happy Medic. Some find the Warrior's resource to be rather annoying, as it depletes FAST, but a Warrior at max energy can dish out a variety of damage and effects in a short duration.

UKFDqvu.png
    Armor: Heavy
    Weapon: Heavy Guns
    Roles: Ranged DPS (Assault), Tanking (Support)
    Resources: Volatility, which is basically is rage from WoW.
    Innates: Two modes: Eradicate and Provoke. As you might expect, one is for tanking and the other is for DPS with all the relevant passive buffs and both can be activated for even more buffs. Both innates also give you passive Volatility generation when activated. I should mention this also puts your character in a badass looking exo-suit.

How does it play? Engineers are the "pet class" but it's a very scaled-down version. A pet requires an action slot to use, and while it's out that action slot then becomes a unique action for that bot. That's it: each bot has one skill instead of pet talent skills and six additional abilities. You can also use every single bot if you really, really wanted to (it's not effective though). The Engineer doesn't always have the longest ranges, but it does sport some rather wide conal telegraphs to facilitate tanking a bit more. They build and burn volatility, although some AMPs give you bonuses for being "in the zone" which is keeping volatility within a specific range.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    As usual, Raz goes that extra mile for the community with something as simple as custom header text and non-marketing BS writeups.

488W936.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Also, it's quite polite to ask your healer how they are on focus after a big fight, since they might be low and would appreciate a break to regen it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    What is focus? Tank classes don't have focus so I didn't know that healers need to restore it between fights until they told me.

• Options
    any 17+ wanna run a dungean here around 8 cst ? id still like to atleast attempt the first one before OB is over.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Jakorian wrote: »
    What is focus? Tank classes don't have focus so I didn't know that healers need to restore it between fights until they told me.

On my little Esper-rat it basically shows as a bubble above my abilities with a % on it telling me how much I got left.

• Options
    focus is below the actuator bar for healers, and it will give you a %# so you know how much you got.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are there way too many ranged dps so far in beta?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I'm looking at the poll results for the Exile guild name, and I hate you all.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I almost would say to ignore the poll and just use Dont Mess With Nexus cause c'mon, we were all so riled up about possibly not getting it reserved.

• Options
    DMWN would easily win if it wasn't for the apostrophe.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »

It's kinda disappointing to charge into a group of enemies as a warrior and have them all blink away and hit me with max range spellslinger crap

Actually it feels like any class can just walk away from warriors whenever

• Options
    Are you PvPing without grapple?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have grapple, a slow, and a knockdown. It just feels like a herculean task to stick to spellslingers in full run away mode

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »

I feel like part of that is the fact that Chua can't be warrior or stalker :( I'd be a Chua Stalker if it were an option.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    DMWN would easily win if it wasn't for the apostrophe.

The pro-Russian election observers vouch for the integrity of the ballot box.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I have grapple, a slow, and a knockdown. It just feels like a herculean task to stick to spellslingers in full run away mode

I know you also have a charge to close in, but the question of kiting is eternal...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So, dungeans are worth the price of admission. Holy shit, thats exactly what I want in a run. Ok, the game can release now so its for reals.

• Options
    Friar ChuggsFriar Chuggs Registered User regular
    Thanks for that awesome class summary Raz

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular

So.. are we Big Damn Heroes?

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Not actually planning on playing with the guild because I'll be on a PvP server, but DMWN is much much better than Big Damn Heroes for a guild name. Almost embarassingly so. 40-50 of you guys done goofed.

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »

So.. are we Big Damn Heroes?
    It's a tie. In fact, every time I check it's ALWAYS a tie.

But Dont Mess With Nexus should clearly win because it compliments our Dominion guild so well.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well, crud. My Esper hit 26 and had seen most of the content, so I started up a Stalker to see what tanking's like (I was also getting annoyed at random tanks in dungeons, so I wanted to make my own). Pre-15, I wasn't too thrilled with it, since soloing Prime mobs isn't really that possible, but around 20 or so the class has really taken off. All you need is to supplement your gear deficiency with crafted stuff and you start tanking like a boss.

They also have the benefit of requiring so few core support abilities in the rotation (Whiplash, Nano-Field, & Decimiate; though once you unlock the T4 upgrade to Nano-field, the Stalker tanking rotation literally becomes: Press Nano-Field, Press it Again, Keep Pressing It, etc.) that I can put two CC's on my bar in order to strip interrupt armor all by myself (since sometimes you run a dungeon like 5 minutes ago where only one other DPS has an interrupt on their bar T_T ).

So I...think I'm going Stalker tank for my main release character now.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Warrior tanking in kel vorath is so much more fun.

so many ways to control my destiny

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeesssss, come to the tank side

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I ran Stormtalon just now with a slightly undergeared healer, and boy do you quickly learn your Stealth + Nano-Field rotation in order to keep up the 15+11% damage reduction as much as possible, because shit hurts. Air Elemental boss in particular, when he splits, having all three of those adds on me was a nightmare. Had to space out my knockdown, stun, pray I'd get deflects so I could keep up Decimate's debuff, and then Pounce in the other direction to kite as much as possible.

I thought keeping threat would be hard to do, but it turns out that's the easiest part of tanking, really. Though, to be fair, Stalker's taunt is still bugged.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah I found out I was able to stay ahead in threat pretty easily after a point. Mitigation started becoming my top priority after I ran KV

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    stop telling me how awesome tanking is. I've lived that life. I've buried it under so many corehounds, trolls, and dragonkin, and bugs, and undead horrors.

I want to be the mind taker, the fire starter, the handsome fellow because he isnt getting his face smashed in by a shovel all the time...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I used to heal, and tank, and DPS. I have no qualms about any role anymore. Only the people with me. Unless they are PA.

488W936.png
  • Options
    There's also something incredibly satisfying of being a tank and then just stealthing past the mobs I don't want to kill.

Characters
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Raz, your class summary is making me rethink Stalker. Warrior and Spellslinger sound more unique in terms of MMO resource mechanics.

(She/Her)
This discussion has been closed.