As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are coop MMOs are thing of the past?

2»

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    WoW is going the way of everquest, a very long and slow decline.

Also consider that a lot of games are coming out with the b2p or f2p models which cant compare 'subs' to wow.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I would probably be mostly on FFXIV if it wasn't for my wife playing WoW as well. She's not going to make the jump to a new MMO, probably ever. I'm really gonna be struggling with the 40k MMO is out.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Hell, my mom and her husband STILL play Everquest, so I doubt that WoW's going to be closing servers anytime soon.

Unless they get bought a major Asian corporation and due to budget restructuring, was found lacking in profits and so the parent company decides to change the locks on the office the following week.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Wow and everquest will probably close when the companies they run under fold.

Which means most likely not anytime soon or ever.

Thanks to moores law the hardware those services run on gets cheaper and cheaper, while less and less people play it meaning you need fewer and fewer servers. Running lets say Planetside (the original) probably costs far less than it does now. They can probably run it on a single server. And planetside even though its far less popular than everquest or WoW is still running, and right now its practically free.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I don't know where I got the information, but my understanding is that SOE uses EQ1 as a training grounds for new designers. So even if it's not turning a huge profit, it is useful as a training tool, and worth keeping around. If it does make a few bucks, all the better.

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    EQ1 paid for itself many times over, and I bet the server requirements to run it are far less than modern games, so might as well keep it running as long as people are willing to sub. They just consolidate servers as need-be, etc.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    For old software though cost to run might have an opposite effect.

Lets say EQ1 could only run on 16 bit processors for example, costs can skyrocket because who makes that anymore?

Were going to see the same with 32 bit at some point where its effectively depreciated.

Draygo on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I suppose. But I imagine they mothball all of the old hardware and just swap it out then? :)

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Most people want to progress on their own time and at their own pace. In short, most people prefer to solo when not doing dungeons.

Developers have responded in kind. It's basically as simple as that.

Yep. I played Everquest back in the day. You could solo(some classes were better at it then others) but it was slow and tedious and that only got worse as you leveled. The game was intended for group play. However, sitting around for a couple hours trying to find a group was not fun. There was no automated process for it so you sat around advertising in zone chat. It was really rather aggravating at times. You might spend the bulk of your play time for that evening not actually playing the game. God help you if you were the redheaded stepchild class no one wanted.

That's a game that would have really benefited from some public quest type system that you sometimes find in newer mmos. And really, if you're going to make a game that's group centric you really need to have an automated matching system to put people together.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    JediNight wrote: »
    I suppose. But I imagine they mothball all of the old hardware and just swap it out then? :)
    Um that's not how it works.

Just try to get a 16 bit piece of software to run in a 64 bit OS.

• Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    If you want a game that requires co-op some games that come to mind are Dungeons and Dragons Online. It is all instanced but every one pretty much requires a well constructed group of players. It's kind of hard to find a group sometimes though, but its still out there. Vindictus is another game that requires several real players to get a game going that is going to have a successful outcome. If you want a themepark mmo that requires co op for most content I suspect you are out of luck.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2014
    Draygo wrote: »

Lets say EQ1 could only run on 16 bit processors for example, costs can skyrocket because who makes that anymore?

Were going to see the same with 32 bit at some point where its effectively depreciated.

VMs with hypervisor essentially makes this argument moot. As long as we stick with the x86 architecture, VMs of multiple deprecated servers on a single modern blade is where that all goes, easily and effectively.

Ultima Fucking Online still has shards and a community, and I doubt EA dedicates a full rack's worth of hardware to that game across all of their datacenters. It's probably a rounding error's worth of cost to keep that game running.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    vhzod wrote: »
    If you want a game that requires co-op some games that come to mind are Dungeons and Dragons Online. It is all instanced but every one pretty much requires a well constructed group of players. It's kind of hard to find a group sometimes though, but its still out there. Vindictus is another game that requires several real players to get a game going that is going to have a successful outcome. If you want a themepark mmo that requires co op for most content I suspect you are out of luck.

DDO is pretty much the perfect MMO to play Coop. The AC overhaul made it easier to get decent protection from armor, but made it pretty much impossible to be an invulnerable ACmonster.
    DDOs drawback is that it's tough if you don't have a group you regularily play with. Ideally you'll be 4-6 friends and you'll stick together all the time (or perhaps almost all of the time. It's a good idea to split into two groups when you're grinding lower difficulty runs to open up for those tougher Elite runs).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

VMs with hypervisor essentially makes this argument moot. As long as we stick with the x86 architecture, VMs of multiple deprecated servers on a single modern blade is where that all goes, easily and effectively.

Ultima Fucking Online still has shards and a community, and I doubt EA dedicates a full rack's worth of hardware to that game across all of their datacenters. It's probably a rounding error's worth of cost to keep that game running.

Um I don't see how it makes it moot. When I was specifically arguing that when 32 bit is depreciated cost to run the old software might skyrocket. We should still be a long way off from that point but I do see it happening eventually. I would say blizzard/soe is more likely to fold before that happens.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Um I don't see how it makes it moot. When I was specifically arguing that when 32 bit is depreciated cost to run the old software might skyrocket. We should still be a long way off from that point but I do see it happening eventually. I would say blizzard/soe is more likely to fold before that happens.

Uh... that's what the VM is for.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Numbers! I like that I can play WoW solo, and if I want I can queue for group content. Having played EQ in its prime, it was no fun to get on and not be able to do anything but kite (if your class could) if you just wanted to putter around by yourself. Last time I levelled a char some, I was running Ashenvale quests on my wee rogue and wound up doing them with three other players. I didn't have to, but it was fun enough to plow through with others and queue for dungeons at the same time. Last call was they had dropped about 350/400k subs; I really can't understand how they let themselves fall into the year without a patch trap again and again.

EDIT: They're down 200k - "Blizzard had their Q1 2014 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.6 million subscribers. This is down 200k from the Q4 2013 call that listed WoW at 7.8 million subscribers."

tb437x5x287m.png

Nosf on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I just resubbed for SW:TOR and am having a blast.

I forgot how much I enjoy the game. It's a good leveling experience and with a friend and each of your companions you can have a full group of 4.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837