As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Amazing Race 2 - RACE COMPLETE!

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
amazingrace_logo-755603.jpg

Welcome to The Amazing Race 2!

This game will simulate the popular and multiple Emmy winning reality show of the same name. If you've never seen it, watch this video from 3:52 until the greatest line in the history of television, and it pretty much justifies the whole show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oj2nf3GVsPE#t=234

(Also, the Guido edit in season one)

The previous "season" is here.

Teams!

When you sign up to play, you will need a teammate. You may sign up with a partner already chosen or sign up waiting for someone to be your partner. Once you have a teammate, you will need a gimmick. Something like "twins," "father and son," "best friends" or whatever. You can check out the last thread for examples. It just has to be some kind of pre-existing relationship. You can choose characters from popular culture, fictional creations, or even be yourself if you have such a pre-existing relationship. If you are a returning racer, you must select a new character (I'm saving the fun ones for TAR: All-Stars in... a long time). Keeping the same team as last time is permissible.

SIGNUP PRIORITY:

First come, first serve, with caveats.

People who did not race last time but read the thread (@Phyphor @MrBlarney for example) are more likely to get in, and the longer you lasted in the previous race the less likely it'll be for you to get in, unless we absolutely need the people. If you are a returning player who signs up with a new teammate who also raced last time, your average placement will determine how likely you are to get in. For example, Sir Fab (9th place) and TehSloth (3rd) place would have the same priority as a returning team of Buddha73 and Grunt's Ghosts (6th place). For these purposes, new racers will be considered to have finished 11th.

There will (hopefully) be 12 teams of 2 running this race. Every 2 days one will be eliminated, meaning this could potentially be a 20 day commitment, something like a PbP game. Be aware before signing up!

Legs

Each leg will consist of a flight to a new city followed by a series of tasks. Various choices will be presented during each leg by the host and it will be up to you and your teammate to make them.

Each leg will have a series of tasks to perform during them. Specifically, each leg will have a Detour, a Roadblock, and a Fast Forward.

A Detour is a choice of two tasks, each with its own pros and cons. Teammates will discuss which task they would like to perform and then do it together. For example, you could be offered the choice to walk down the stairs in a building or rappel down the side of the building. Or choose between solving a puzzle and mining coal. It's really anything, but what you'll be doing will be explicit in either option.

A Roadblock is a single task that only one team member performs. Teammates will decide who should perform the task based on location and a small clue. For example, if you were at the CN Tower and the clue says "which of you is ready to take a dive?" you should expect something like a bungie jump. Each team member can only do five roadblocks on the entire race, so keeping them balanced is a good idea.

The Fast Forward is a special clue that can appear at any point during the leg. It is an extra task that both team members perform, much like either side of the detour. Each team may only do one Fast Forward for the entire race, so you must choose when it's most advantageous to go for it. Upon successfully completing the Fast Forward, teams may skip ALL remaining tasks, and proceed directly to the pit stop (the end of the leg).

Performing the tasks and navigation will be handled by rolling based on arbitrary mean times and standard deviations assigned by me. These should reflect reality for travel. The rolls will be adjusted based on your character's traits (see below) so teams who choose the right tasks and the right person to do them should go quickly. There is some luck involved, but that's the Race! At the end of each leg, the slowest team will be eliminated.

Time IS cumulative, so the first place team in the first leg will leave before all other teams for the second leg. However, due to the nature of international air travel, other teams will probably be able to catch up at the airport.

The 10th and Final Leg will have three teams remaining. The winner of that leg of the race will be declared the winner of The Amazing Race!

LEGS END AT MIDNIGHT, EASTERN

So What, Exactly, Will Teams Do Each Day?

Each leg will be split into two days. On the first day of the leg, you will go to the airport, fly to a new destination, receive the fast forward clue, and get either the roadblock or the detour. You'll decide if you want to go for the Fast Forward, how to get to the places you need to go, and which Detour choice you're doing or which player will perform the Roadblock. On the second day, you'll get the standings after the first half of the leg and the clue to second task. Again travel and task decisions will have to be made.

Functionally, each day will consist of discussing your options with your partner and filling out a Google Form.

Characters!

(see the next post)

Encouraging/Determined

Encouraging and Determined were both perks in the previous race. However we found them to be generally too powerful, but the decision making process created by them was interesting enough that players thought everyone should have access to them. So:

Once per leg, you may improve a stat of your choice on the player of your choice (in your team) by TWO points. However, this extra effort will create an extra killer fatigue roll for that player at the end of leg, even if you finish in first place.

Example: Rend is facing a chess roadblock. He and El Skid will improve Rend's intelligence for this task only. Rend will have one extra killer fatigue roll at the end of the leg.
Example2: Same situation. They instead increase Rend's endurance for this task only. This is not helpful with the task, but you will still face the extra roll. Make sure you get the right trait!

Killer Fatigue

The race is EXHAUSTING. Not enough sleep, too little and too low quality food, 24 hours a day with the same person for a solid three weeks. Eventually your decision making process will start to decay, your body will break down, and generally you'll be having a rough time. As such, after each leg there will be rolls at the end of each leg. This roll will be an ENDURANCE check. If you fail the roll, you will lose a stat point of your choice or a point of Team Chemistry. The winning team on each leg will be immune from Killer Fatigue (except any caused by Determination).

The Thread
As I learned last time, the more people posted in the thread, the more I could get a feel for the characters during narration. Which in turn made those more fun to read. So role play as your character. Any conversations via PM and in the thread will be reflected in your overall characterization. For example @CesareB was always terrified they were going to be eliminated (they finished second) so I made his character, Leah, nervous about all of their decisions in the narrations. If you pick a character from pop culture, you get a crap shoot as to how well I know them. For example, I was familiar with @crimsoncoyote playing Barney Stinson, so he was prominent from the start. Or everyone knows the winners, Holmes and Watson, so I was familiar with them.

The Prize
Winners of the last leg will be involved in designing the course and evolving the rules for TAR 3, assuming people remain interested.

Clarifications

As is tradition, clarifications should be requested in dark orange

Roster

1. Auralynx and schuss (Frat brothers) - eliminated in Macchu Pichu in 4th place
2. premium and Iron Weasel (Twins???)
3. TheRoadVirus and Megafrost (Male models) - eliminated in Kuala Lumpur in 9th place
4. Sir Fabulous and CesareB (Pokemon Trainers)
5. Gizzy and Zombie Hero (Not Spies) - eliminated in Johannesburg in 5th place
6. Zonugal and MrBlarney (Father and Son) - eliminated in Seoul in 10th place
7. discrider and Phyphor (Co-workers) - eliminated in Almaty in 8th place
8. Kirindal and MrTLicious (Friends, Pilots)
9. ObiFett and SaberOverEasy (Lord and Mercenary) - eliminated in Prague in 7th place
10. jdarksun and kime (Best Friends, Doctors) - eliminated in Venice in 6th place

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Once players have a teammate each player will create a character. I would prefer if you don't min/max this with your partner and have tried to hose that strategy with the design of the race course. But it'd be best if you just do what seems fun.

You will have 35 points to distribute among several traits (10 points maximum in any single trait):

Strength - Useful for brute force challenges like "move this heavy thing or paddle the boat."

Agility - If it requires general athleticism, this is a thing you want to have. Also good for walking quickly.

Bravery - More bravery = better performance on daredevil tasks and dangerous/unfamiliar tasks.

Intelligence - Smarter contestants do better with puzzles.

Endurance - Works at holding off Killer Fatigue. Also, if a task is not particularly difficult but will take a long time, it's probably an Endurance task.

Charisma - Useful for anything to do with people or animals

Navigation - For all your drive yourself/taxi cabbing needs!

Teams may opt to spend two fewer points each in exchange for one point of Team Chemistry. Each point of Team Chemistry will improve performance on Detours by one in the primary trait required for that Detour.

(That is the tradeoff is two generalized points from each person for one guaranteed point in the Detour)

Additionally, you will select a perk.

Fluency in _________ (PM me the language you want) - +2 Nav in countries which speak the relevant language

Mechanic - +2 to the relevant trait on building tasks

Meticulous - +2 to the relevant trait on tasks which require attention to detail

Stomach of Steel - +2 to the relevant trait on eating tasks

Animal Lover - +2 to the relevant trait on all tasks involving animals

Cartographer - 3% time bonus to "drive yourself"

Taxi Master - 3% time bonus to "take a taxi"

Jokester - Your teammate gets +1 on Killer Fatigue rolls

If teams want Team Chemistry, just have stats that add up to 33/31/29/... for 1/2/3/... points in it. Both players must have the same number of points or I'll have you edit your responses.

To make your character, use the form I have made here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QxjjzNzXznBTbW1ah1ww2HsvijFCwtmMdTFAn56nxTg/viewform?usp=send_form

Roster
    Signed Up Teams
    Auralynx and schuss
    SaberOverEasy and ObiFett
    Sir Fabulous and CesareB
    premium and Iron Weasel
    MrTLicious and Kirindal
    Phyphor and discrider
    Gizzy and Zombie Hero
    kime and jdarksun
    TheRoadVirus and Megafrost
    MrBlarney and Zonugal

Results

Leg 1 - Seattle, Washington to The Shire, New Zealand
    Part 1
    Part 2

Results:
    1. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 23 hours, 9 minutes, 7 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. Phyphor and discrider - 1 day, 38 minutes, 42 seconds
    3. schuss and Auralynx - 1 day, 57 minutes, 35 seconds
    4. ObiFett and SaberOverEasy - 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute
    5. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 1 day, 1 hour, 20 minutes, 8 seconds
    6. premium and Iron Weasel - 1 day, 1 hour, 21 minutes, 17 seconds
    7. Megafrost and TheRoadVirus - 1 day, 1 hour, 25 minutes, 38 seconds
    8. MrBlarney and Zonugal - 1 day, 1 hour, 42 minutes, 54 seconds
    9. jdarksun and kime - 1 day, 1 hour, 44 minutes, 20 seconds
    10. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 1 day, 2 hours, 20 minutes, 37 seconds (saved by non-elimination leg)

Leg 2 - The Shire, New Zealand to Seoul, South Korea
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results:
    1. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 2 days, 13 hours, 1 minute, 24 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. SaberOverEasy and ObiFett - 2 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes, 7 seconds
    3. Phyphor and discrider - 2 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes, 11 seconds
    4. premium and Iron Weasel - 2 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes, 12 seconds
    5. TheRoadVirus and Megafrost - 2 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes, 38 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    6. schuss and Auralynx - 2 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes, 8 seconds
    7. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 2 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes, 8 seconds
    8. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 2 days, 14 hours, 26 minutes, `10 seconds
    9. jdarksun and kime - 2 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes, 28 seconds
    10. MrBlarney and Zonugal - 2 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes, 12 seconds (eliminated)

Leg 3 - Seoul, South Korea to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results:
    Results
    1. Auralynx and schuss - 3 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes, 43 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. SaberOverEasy and ObiFett - 3 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes, 41 seconds
    3. Phyphor and discrider - 3 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes, 29 seconds
    4. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 3 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes, 49 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 3 days, 17 hours, 42 minutes, 26 seconds
    6. jdarksun and kime - 3 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes, 19 seconds
    7. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 3 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds
    8. premium and Iron Weasel - 3 days, 18 hours, 1 second
    9. Megafrost and TheRoadVirus - 3 days, 18 hours, 9 minutes, 8 seconds (eliminated)

Leg 4 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results
    1. SaberOverEasy and ObiFett - 5 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes, 59 seconds
    2. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 5 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes, 58 seconds
    3. MrTLicious and kirindal - 5 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes, 26 seconds
    4. schuss and Auralynx - 5 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes, 5 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. premium and Iron Weasel - 5 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes, 38 seconds
    6. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 5 days, 6 hours, 50 minutes, 28 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    7. jdarksun and kime - 5 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes, 42 seconds
    8. Phyphor and discrider - 5 days, 7 hours, 31 minutes, 32 seconds, eliminated

Leg 5 - Almaty, Kazakhstan to Prague, Czech Republic
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results
    1. premium and Iron Weasel - 6 days, 18 hours, 27 minutes, 49 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. jdarksun and kime - 6 days, 19 hours, 34 minutes, 13 seconds
    3. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 6 days, 19 hours, 34 minutes, 46 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    4. schuss and Auralynx - 6 days, 19 hours, 41 minutes, 34 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 6 days, 19 hours, 44 minutes, 57 seconds
    6. kirindal and MrTLicious - 6 days, 19 hours, 46 minutes, 16 seconds
    7. SaberOverEasy and ObiFett - 6 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes, 4 seconds - eliminated

Leg 6 - Prague, Czech Republic to Venice, Italy
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results
    1. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 8 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes, 25 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 8 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes, 28 seconds
    3. kirindal and MrTLicious - 8 days, 3 hours, 4 minutes, 23 seconds
    4. schuss and Auralynx - 8 days, 3 hours, 5 minutes, 46 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. premium and Iron Weasel - 8 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes, 19 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    6. jdarksun and kime - 8 days, 4 hours, 6 minutes, 12 seconds (eliminated)

Leg 7 - Venice, Italy to Adwa, Ethiopia
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results
    1. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 9 days, 11 hours, 49 minutes, 26 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 9 days, 12 hours, 4 seconds
    3. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 9 days, 12 hours, 13 minutes, 52 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    4. premium and Iron Weasel - 9 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes, 12 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. schuss and Auralynx - 9 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes, 34 seconds - saved by non-elimination leg (Fast Forward exhausted)

Leg 8 - Adwa, Ethiopia to Johannesburg, South Africa
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results
    1. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 11 days, 6 hours, 58 minutes, 34 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    2. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 11 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes, 20 seconds
    3. premium and Iron Weasel - 11 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes, 40 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    4. schuss and Auralynx - 11 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes, 17 seconds (Fast Forward exhausted)
    5. Gizzy and Zombie Hero - 11 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes, 14 seconds (eliminated)

Leg 9 - Johannesburg, South Africa to Macchu Pichu
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Results:
    1. CesareB and Sir Fabulous - 13 days, 3 hours, 47 minutes, 13 seconds
    2. Kirindal and MrTLicious - 13 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes, 35 seconds
    3. premium and Iron Weasel - 13 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes, 41 seconds
    4. schuss and Auralynx - 13 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes, 20 seconds (eliminated)

enlightenedbum on
    As for timing goals, I have no particular goals with regards to a start time. I have six legs to write, which is about six hours of my time. I should probably finish most of those before we get going, as the first few legs will be nuts for me if we get a full roster. In an ideal universe, Monday would be great, but I don't expect 24 signups over the weekend. So we'll shoot for Wednesday-ish to start the first leg.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Looking for a partner!
    Preferably someone who is willing to U-turn some of the not signed up teams before they get a chance to enter!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Hm hmm... thanks for the @, enlightenedbum. Maybe I'll try this out this time.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Reserve up pending anyone pming me about a silly team to rp. Especially if it's @premium‌ or @schuss

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I'll play again!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'm in

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    This time for sure.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    This looks interesting, I'm willing if you'll have me.

Second post has reserved players and their finish last time for priority purposes.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Reserve up pending anyone pming me about a silly team to rp. Especially if it's @premium‌ or @schuss

Return of the bro team?

Brooooooooooooooooooooo

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

Return of the bro team?

Brooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes. ebum, I will team with schuss, this time as ultra-bros.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Oooh another!

(I don't have time to play this one, but I will follow it)

(this reminds me, I should also change my avatar since HIMYM has ended (((((poorly))))))

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I am also watching this with interest

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    We'll need considerably more. I'll start @ ing tomorrow probably.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    sign-up need a partner unless @SaberOverEasy‌ wants to do this again as partners

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Sure Obi, I'll get the bounty band back together.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I mean obviously

Assuming I can snag a space, of course. Anybody want a partner who has what it takes to (almost) win?

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Cesare, do you have it in your heart to partner with a poor, destitute squid-thing like me?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I am now accepting applications to be my partner

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Cesare, do you have it in your heart to partner with a poor, destitute squid-thing like me?

I thought you'd never ask.

CesareB on
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'll try this out

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    premium wrote: »

Bro, you were totes too slow to hang with the Chadster. Good luck finding someone else who can score three goals against Sacred Heart to team up with.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Dear Premium,

I like you. Do you like me?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    [ ] Maybe

Signed,

IW

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Need six more for me to be happy, ten for me to be very happy and remove non-elimination legs.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I will partner with anyone, because I can carry anyone. Around the world. Boo ya.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular

Dear Premium,

I like you. Do you like me?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    [ ] Maybe

Signed,

IW

[X] Hmm. Yes. You will do.

MrTLicious wrote: »
    I will partner with anyone, because I can carry anyone. Around the world. Boo ya.

An bold statement! Let me take you up on that then.

TV show note: moved to Fridays, which means it will actually get to air on time in the Fall for the first time since like 2002.

edited May 2014
    Upkeep notes:

If you've been moved to the teams section in the second post you can create characters/discuss role options and what not. I'll make y'all race discussions sometime tonight if you don't.

@Grunt's Ghosts
    @Buddha73‌
    @undergroundmonorail‌
    @‌NotoriousBEN
    @TehSloth‌
    @Invictus‌

I think that's the old racers who haven't signed up or posted/agreed with being too busy to do so this time. If anyone has someone they think would be interested, go ahead and @ them.

enlightenedbum on
    @The Anonymous

Also him.

edited May 2014
    OK, if you guys could start @ ing anyone you think might be interested, that'd be great. We need at least 9 teams (3 more people), though I'd prefer a full 12. That doesn't seem super likely at this point.

enlightenedbum on
    Assuming no new signups by Wednesday, I'm going to have to go ahead and call it. I could maybe make a shorter version after some consideration of which legs to cut.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    YOLO

Now need one more team to run it.

So @MrTLicious‌ what sort of team-up did you have in mind?

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    @zombie hero come be my partner

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    How are killer fatigue checks done?

edited May 2014
    END < D10 = fail.

Rolls with Orokos, obviously.

enlightenedbum on