As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't use WASD?

enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
The title basically says it all. I'm self-proclaimed graduate of the Old School of gaming, started off back in the early 80s on the Atari 2600 and C64.

So when FPSs arrived on the scene I seem to have adopted the QWES control scheme. I want to blame this on Catacomb 3D which was the earliest true FPS I remember playing (I remember 3Demon and a couple others which had rigid corridor type architecture but I don't count those) though I'm not 100% sure if this was the default control scheme.

I know WASD is the generic standard, although I know people who use ESDF or IJKL. I however have settled into QWES (where Q and E replace A and D for strafing), then I use A for jump, CTRL for duck and SPACE for use. I've never known this to hinder me in any game...I consider myself a slightly better than average FPSer. I can hold 1:1 ratios on my worst days and hit the top 3 on my best.

I'm just curious to know if I'm alone out there or if there are other QWES misfits out there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
enderwiggin13 on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    WASD4LIFE

LewieP on
  • earthlessearthless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use the arrow keys....

earthless on
    earthless.png
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does this win nerdiest thread evar?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Generally I prefer to use WASD over the arrow keys because its more relaxing to have my arms spread out further from each other then having them closer in when using a mouse/arrow keys.

If that makes sense. So mainly its personal comfort for me.

Loathing on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I didn't even switch to mouse control until I played SiN, where it was virutally required. I played through most of quake 2 on just keyboard. And even when i switched to mouse, I used the keypad (instead of wasd), until games like deus ex and system shock required a lot more immediately accessible buttons than the ones on the keypad.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Your control scheme confuses and angers me.

WASD(or WASD style "triangle" formations) is the best because it not only fits the natural ergonomics of the hand, it leaves plenty of open utility keys around the movement fingers and you never have finger conflicts when trying to move in complicated ways.

For example, how in the name of god would you jump while strafing left using your control scheme? I don't even want to know how you'd crouch jump while strafing left.

Arrow keys are stupid because on most keyboards they are on their own little island with no utility keys near them, not to mention having your hands so close together.

Scosglen on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I know WASD is the generic standard, although I know people who use ESDF or IJKL. I however have settled into QWES (where Q and E replace A and D for strafing), then I use A for jump, CTRL for duck and SPACE for use.

There is much evil in you.

Lewisham on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use QWES as well. It stems from my Tribes 1 days, which was my first major mouselook-driven FPS. At the time, I was still getting used to these things, and since the game had keys for strafe as well as turning, I thought I'd need those as well. So, I stuck strafe on Q and E, and turn on A and D. Since you needed the jetpack button, my Zoom was on tab. In later games I just stuck with it, and even continued to map other game's functions to the corresponding item keys that were used in Tribes.

Personally, I've tried WASD a few times, but I always go back. I just find QWES more comfortable, which I think is due to the fact that you use forward more than back, so resting your fingers in one line feels more natural, while still letting you hit other keys. QWES is also nice in more advanced FPSs, with things like leaning, or in-game vehicles with separate turning keys (like the Battlefield games).

Edit: Speaking of keybinds and what I did in Tribes, I want to know why most multiplayer games have Global chat as T and teamchat as Y. I always reversed the two: Teamchat and Global Yell not only make more sense, but T is easier to reach with your left hand on the keys.

Dartboy on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My control scheme is even more bizarre than the the OP's. I have a FVAD setup going. It's because it's the same scheme I used back when I played Descent, which had four strafing keys instead of two. So, I had WAXD for strafing, and FV for going forwards and back. I used a joystick on my right for looking. When 3D FPS games came about (DN3D and Quake where the first), I used the exact same damned keys, using X and W for jumping and crouching. I still kept on using that stupid joystick for the longest time before switching to a mouse. (This also explains why I play with inverted mouselook.)

In retrospect, it's a pretty stupid control scheme, even for Descent, but it's been hardwired into my brain, so I said "fuck it" when WASD became the norm. Rebinding keys for new games is a bitch.

Zxerol on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As long as you don't use the arrow keys, you're fine.

kitch on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    QWES doesn't sound terrible, but having A as jump in addition sounds rather awkward, because you have to take your hand off of the movement keys to do it. A would make much more sense as "use" because most of the time you have to be standing still to do it anyway.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • earthlessearthless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    kitch wrote: »
    As long as you don't use the arrow keys, you're fine.

O_o

earthless on
    earthless.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    My control scheme is even more bizarre than the the OP's. I have a FVAD setup going. It's because it's the same scheme I used back when I played Descent, which had four strafing keys instead of two. So, I had WAXD for strafing, and FV for going forwards and back. I used a joystick on my right for looking. When 3D FPS games came about (DN3D and Quake where the first), I used the exact same damned keys, using X and W for jumping and crouching. I still kept on using that stupid joystick for the longest time before switching to a mouse. (This also explains why I play with inverted mouselook.)

In retrospect, it's a pretty stupid control scheme, even for Descent, but it's been hardwired into my brain, so I said "fuck it" when WASD became the norm. Rebinding keys for new games is a bitch.

Man, I am trying to wrap my head around using FVAD and it just boggles me.

Inquisitor on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In games that call for it, I use QWEASD, with strafing (AD) and turning (QE) both mapped. WoW and CoH, for example. For FPS's, though, I'm happy with the standard WASD.

I'd like to see someone try to use the old System Shock controls on a modern FPS, though... ASDX movement with a bunch of other really weird stuff bound around it.

Dehumanized on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use <AOE because I type in dvorak.

But really it's just WASD.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Man, I am trying to wrap my head around using FVAD and it just boggles me.

Bizarrely, I can actually see why you would do that. If you rest your hand on the keyboard, little finger on the A key, and then the next three on the DFV and thumb on space, it's actually quite a natural position, all your fingers bend at the same sort of angle. I'm pretty sure you can get used to it, but I expect it would give you hand cramps while you were getting there.

The reason why QWES is so weird is that it's not natural.
    Dartboy wrote:

Personally, I've tried WASD a few times, but I always go back. I just find QWES more comfortable, which I think is due to the fact that you use forward more than back, so resting your fingers in one line feels more natural, while still letting you hit other keys.

Place your hand on the QWE buttons. To do it, your fingers have to bend. When you place the middle finger on the w without bending, where do your other fingers rest? Either on, or very close to, A and D. That's why WASD is more comfortable. You only have to bend in order to hit S.

Can o' worms:
    All Y-axis' should be inverted always. When you move your head forwards, it goes DOWN. Non-inverted is all wrong.

Lewisham on
  • Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I used to play with number pad. I actually prefer it to wasd, but ever since getting a laptop it just isn't a possibility. Also, certain games were a pain in the ass to rebind (BF2 has 5 different control schemes for diff vehicles, and EA makes it hell on earth to rebind buttons).

First of all, everything felt right. Second, you could hit Num lock and the buttons could all have different meanings. I would just press num lock to switch from key bindings for different gametypes (ex: I used different key bindings in onslaught in UT2k4 than for death match). I wish caps lock would make 1-->! so I could bind more stuff, but alas WASD is inferior.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    WASD, and people who use QWEASD boggle me, especially in WoW. I don't have enough keys near my fingers AS IT IS for all the billions of spells and hotkeys I want available at a moment's notice. I even use shift and control in combination with the keys near my hand, and seven buttons on my mouse. NOT ENOUGH KEYS, DAMMIT. WHY WASTE TWO ON ACTIONS THAT CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED BY MOUSE?

I've considered switching to ESDF to make more keys accessable, but comfort is paramount, and ESDF is just a little more cramped.

And yet, I wonder if there's more. Let's consider my brand-new scheme: ERG. It's comfortable, left, right, forwards, and backwards (F) are analogous to the way your fingers are positioned. It allows an unholy amount of button availability - QAZ can all be hit easily by the pinkie, WS with the pinkie if you cramp a little and move your wrist, TAB is a bit of a stretch, but whatever. D23 can be hit by the ring finger, but this gives up left strafe. 5D can be hit by the middle finger, but this gives up forwards and backwards. T6YHBV can be hit by the index finger, though strangely V is easier than B. However, with this configuration, you give up multi-button combos like SHIFT-E, which is simple under WASD.

Am I insane, or might this be decent? I may have to try remapping WoW tonight.

Imperfect on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It seems I have a rather odd scheme...I use MouseLeft to move forward and MouseRight to move backward. This allows all movement and looking to be done with one hand. Ctrl becomes standard fire, Alt secondary, a strafe left d strafe right. Other buttons can be mapped in that general area like c for crouching etc.

twmjr on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Imperfect wrote: »
    Let's consider my brand-new scheme: ERG. It's comfortable, left, right, forwards, and backwards (F) are analogous to the way your fingers are positioned. It allows an unholy amount of button availability - QAZ can all be hit easily by the pinkie, WS with the pinkie if you cramp a little and move your wrist, TAB is a bit of a stretch, but whatever. D23 can be hit by the ring finger, but this gives up left strafe. 5D can be hit by the middle finger, but this gives up forwards and backwards. T6YHBV can be hit by the index finger, though strangely V is easier than B. However, with this configuration, you give up multi-button combos like SHIFT-E, which is simple under WASD.

Hmm, the concept behind these intrigues me. It makes perfect sense if you tilt the keyboard at a 45 degree angle, and it's surprisingly comfortable this way. Tilting the keyboard also lets you put your mouse much closer, which could be nice depending on your setup. The problem is it's rather difficult to hit any other keys with it, though. You can hit the row directly above it no problem, along with the key's "inside" this setup, but the keys to the right of it are much harder. Still, we could be onto something here. When I get home from work I shall do some tests.

Lewisham wrote: »
    The reason why QWES is so weird is that it's not natural.
    Dartboy wrote:

Personally, I've tried WASD a few times, but I always go back. I just find QWES more comfortable, which I think is due to the fact that you use forward more than back, so resting your fingers in one line feels more natural, while still letting you hit other keys.

Place your hand on the QWE buttons. To do it, your fingers have to bend. When you place the middle finger on the w without bending, where do your other fingers rest? Either on, or very close to, A and D. That's why WASD is more comfortable. You only have to bend in order to hit S.

This must be a difference in hand size, but I just can't get that to be comfortable. If I lay my fingers flat, yes they do hit WASD, but my thumb can't reach the spacebar. Plus, I'd be hitting S with the middle of my finger, which doesn't work. If I want to hit it with the fingertip, I have to bend it anyway. Like I said, I like having my fingers in a line, which QWES does.

Dartboy on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Any left handed person with an ounce of self-respect uses the arrow keys.

Turkey on
  • XanariosXanarios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This reminds me of one of my friends who uses the letters (not keys) "HJKL" for most of his needs... except his keyboard is mapped to Dvorak. :| It can be hypnotic to watch, especially in fast paced action sequences.
    Turkey wrote: »
    Any left handed person with an ounce of self-respect uses the arrow keys.
    Don't most lefties mouse right-handed anyway? Or is there another reason to this?

Xanarios on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Once upon a time I used right shift, A, Z, and whatever that button between it is in your layout.

Echo on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not left handed, but if I was, I would think PL:" would work a lot better than the arrow keys.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Being left handed is no reason for using the arrow keys. There is no excuse.

Dehumanized on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Being left handed is no reason for using the arrow keys. There is no excuse.

Somehow I read that as "using left hand on arrows" and was all o_O

Echo on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my control scheme will fuck your world up

a-forward, z-backward
    q-strafe left, w-strafe right
    s-jump, x-crouch

I have edrfcv all available for binds, and I'm good at reaching to the right of all that as well

This was developed when I started playing my first fps seriously (super competitive quake 2 1v1 leagues)

I think it's very intuitive because a is ahead of z which is backwards, q is to the left of w which is strafe right
    s is ahead of x which is crouch (but after playing WoW now I usually use space bar as jump)

If I had learned on WASD I can understand why you would have a tough time contorting your hands into this scheme, but I'm smooth as silk like this baby

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Me and my mousing hand have gotten pretty close, lately. We're going to Aruba in March.

Just don't tell my W A S D hand.
    I don't understand why people use WASD. You're wasting your pinky.

The fuck do you use??
    RDFG

ESDF all the way.

All right. That's it. Strip. We're fucking.

DarkPrimus on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Back when I played (read: was really good at) Tribes, I used the numpad, actually. 4, 6, 8, 2 as directional controls, which gives you a lot of utility keys, too.

These days I used WASD, and I suck at first person shooters.

Hrm...

s3rial one on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use AZ-SX for first person shooters. Descent is to blame here. For "lite" 3rd person games (World of Warcraft) WASD is my prefered control scheme.

Descent default mapping:

A - forward
    Z - backpedal
    S - strafe left
    X - strafe right

Usually I use C for duck and SPACE for jump. If there 360° controls are required (Drakan), I use D for up and C for down.

Dratatoo on
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For example, how in the name of god would you jump while strafing left using your control scheme? I don't even want to know how you'd crouch jump while strafing left.

I have no problem at all pressing both Q and A with my ring finger to jump left, then I can hit CTRL with the first joint of my pinkie to throw a crouch-jump. It may sound weird, but after probably 15 years of doing it, it's all muscle memory now.

Place your hand on the QWE buttons. To do it, your fingers have to bend.

My fingers actually rest in basically a straight line across QWE. Granted, I'm striking Q and E towards the bottom of the key and W in the center. The slight triangle though is not nearly pronounced enough for me to reach WAD. My right hand feels more comfortable in that triangle position however, so maybe my left hand is slightly deformed from breaking it as a child.

Interesting range of answers though, glad to know I'm not the oddest of the bunch :lol:

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember a time when I had no mouse and had to play Quake II with the keyboard only. I used the arrow keys for forward/backpedal, and turning, and AZ for looking up and down. I held down shift to strafe. Now that I recall it, it seemed unwieldy. The funny thing is, I owned my friends for a good long time with that control scheme, and they were all mouse users.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use a weird mutant control scheme that I developed between Duke3D and Quake.

A - forward
    Z - backward
    left mouse - strafe left
    right mouse - strafe right

Cntl - shoot
    shift - alt fire

slash000 on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I use a weird mutant control scheme that I developed between Duke3D and Quake.

A - forward
    Z - backward
    left mouse - strafe left
    right mouse - strafe right

Shoot - Cntl
    alt fire - shift

She's a witch, burn her!

Inquisitor on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use the arrow keys like a real man. WASD is for you lesser fools.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my AZLMRM is the key to my unbelievable success at twitch-fps games.

slash000 on
  • alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My CS setup I've been using for 6+ years now:

Right Click - Forward
    Left Click - Fire
    Mouse 5 - Last Weapon Used
    A - Strafe Left
    S - Backward
    D - Duck
    F - Strafe Right
    Q - Use
    W - Secondary
    E - Jump
    R - Reload
    Space bar - Walk

I've been able to incorporate this into every FPS ever and will never, ever use WSAD again.

alivatna on
  • FizicsFizics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Left-handed and a proud arrow key user.

You do realize we have the entire num-pad next to it for utility keys and shortcuts don't you?

Fizics on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I use arrow keys.

JUST to annoy Dehumanized.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fizics wrote: »
    Left-handed and a proud arrow key user.

You do realize we have the entire num-pad next to it for utility keys and shortcuts don't you?

But then why not just use numpad 8-456? It's the same spaceing as the arrows, and the utilities are right there.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png