As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    The nice part is they pretty much give you an out for every actual assholish action in the game. Some guys handcuff you and are gonna fuck with you? you can just kill yourself by logging out or whatever.

The dickest thing I can think of that you can really do is break some one's legs and then bandage them. In the mod you could respawn, but not any more. Still, unless you're in the middle of no where you can probably find something to fall off or a zombie to finish you.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Reminds me of the time on DayZero Podagorsk when I found a guy who needed blood, told him I had plenty and I'd blood bag him if he'd bag me.

So I bagged him, then he put 3 rounds from his shotgun into the back of my head.

and why I kill almost everyone now, Unless there is doubt that they could be one of the mumble crew.

To bad OTHER people in the mumble crew don't have the same standards cough @Hamuel‌ cough.
    :heart:

Buttcleft on
    I'm nicer than I've ever been in the SA. Even to the point of getting people killed, like Ham, because I give dudes a chance to surrender.

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I'm nicer than I've ever been in the SA. Even to the point of getting people killed, like Ham, because I give dudes a chance to surrender.

On the flip side I've become more ruthless.

Like that time you wanted the guy to surrender and I just blasted him with the mosin in the face :disagree:

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Generally speaking, if you're unarmed, I'll tell you to get lost. If you go away, we're cool. Keep following me and I'll assume you're trying to punch me out and *bang*

If you have a gun, you're fair game.

That's generally my policy as well any more, where as in the mod I happily shot every unarmed dude I saw =P

However, if we're in a superior position to some one that's sort of hunkering down, like say in the jail or atc or whatever and no one's in immediate danger I've taken to trying to talk guys down instead. The added benefit is that, especially in the case of something like dudes in the jail, if you can talk them out it saves you the headache of having to try to breach the place. Usually people don't really go for it though, which is totally fine by me, but there have also been a surprisingly amount of people who comply as well and that always feels a bit more interesting of an interaction to me than straight up shooting.

I'd say it's probably close to like 80% of the time we straight KOS though.

the jail is why I miss grenades the most.

Even though I never killed a enemy with one.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Incoming 16 minutes of video footage. Sniped a bunch of dudes with just my PU scope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0sxHpRby1g&feature=youtu.be

Hamuel on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, Buttcleft, even if they implement some sort of explosive you can throw I don't think the way throwing is currently set up would lend itself to attacking people inside buildings.

Held down three people in the jail, then died to what must have been wall-glitching.

Oh well! If they had agreed to surrender, that would have been pretty sweet - I made the attempt because they didn't seem too experienced.

Held down three people in the jail, then died to what must have been wall-glitching.

Oh well! If they had agreed to surrender, that would have been pretty sweet - I made the attempt because they didn't seem too experienced.

Quantity has a quality all its own.

Surprisingly had three more instances of mostly peaceful interactions with other people in the last hour - maybe I should switch to the male model because I'm always a bit concerned that people might be weirded out if they hear my accented voice coming out of the female one (it's a game about gun-toting survivalists, after all). But the male model feels too bulky and I kinda like that other people are able to quickly identify me.

You can switch models!?

Playing DayZero, managed to shoot a guy in the face and take his RPK without even being shot.

Then, being the big brave man that I am, I quickly ran off, hid, and logged out.

Xaquin wrote: »
    You can switch models!?

If you click on the "character" tab on the starting screen, you can choose your gender and ethnicity and other stuff, if you didn't know about that already. However, you have to die and respawn before any changes take effect.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    I've been playing as a black female since day 1, and it has produced some... varied results. People use such colorful language.

I want more player customizations than just white guy, black guy, Asian guy..

I want to be me my DayZ mod character. Elderly whiteguy with a beard!

I basically want black Gandalf

I never knew LMGs had tracer rounds in DayZero, until just now.

When the earth around me exploded with ricochets and two tracers literally passed like a foot in front of my face at the north east airfield.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    I never knew LMGs had tracer rounds in DayZero, until just now.

When the earth around me exploded with ricochets and two tracers literally passed like a foot in front of my face at the north east airfield.
    That's how we usually identified certain groups were on. If there were tracers flying around the NW or NE, one of two groups who conveniently ALWAYS had LMGs were on.

Come play DayZero with me.

Relish in awesome weaponry and vehicle hijacking, you know you want to.

I uninstalled the mod after three months of not playing it. Precious, precious SSD space.

Well, reinstall it!

edited May 2014
    I think ya guys playing as females are weirdos but to each their own!
    Bahahahaha

At least you guys don't claim to be RPing like Fyndir, who then proceeds not to do a female voice. Claiming that making voices has nothing to do with RP. Worst rper ever.

New faces are confirmed as a thing they're working on. I think a few new ones are coming fairly soon even, but maybe it's just another ethnicity and not variations of the existing ones yet.

Actually on that topic some bozo was suggesting name tags again on the DayZ forum which I've always felt is a bad idea. But he brought up the point again that you can differentiate people pretty easily in real life, and it lead me to consider that it sure would be nice to have an actual character customization system, being able to pick height and build and what not. I don't think we'll ever get that though, all the models and animations they've done seem to be created specifically for the current models. They even pulled a vest that wasn't fitting quite right.

Would have been another nice form of identification though, because I do agree that pretty much everyone ends up looking the same, especially with how boring dudes are in always choosing the military/hunting gear =P

At least you guys are always able to recognize me!

Ash of Yew on
    As much as I want name tags, all they are really used for is xray vision.

There should be some kind of global friends system where if two people tag each other, then whenever they are within 100 meters of each other, on any server, they get a friendly green dot above there head.

and make it so you can opt out at any time, and opting out removes both yours and your friends dot. So you don't have checky bastards trying to be untrackable while killing friends.

I don't like that sort of thing because there's nothing else in the game like that, no floating text/displays. The less hud the better imo.

I'd rather they do something like armbands or allowing you to dye/color your clothes and what not. More customization.

edited May 2014
    Hammy and me used our fists to knock out two guys who were carrying an M4 and a Mosin. Too bad Hammy wasn't recording because he had to leave at any second!

Platy on
    Chuwero also killed a guy who glitched into a wall on the first floor of the jail and then fell out of it.

Had my first encounter with a wall walker today. Was towards the end of an NEAF adventure with platy, who was covering me since I had a shitty shortrange gun, guy packed himself up in the east jail and started yelling over direct I'LL BLOW YOUR MOTHER FUCKIN BRAINS OUT OF YOU OPEN THAT DOOR.

I didn't realize at the time how he knew I was at the door, until he fell out of the wall above the door. apparently his glitch glitched, and I loaded him with .22 until he died.

Plus side was platy got a bunch of M4 ammo for his nifty gun.

edited May 2014
    So one of these is supposedly coming soon
    mp133-1.jpg
    MP-133 Baikal

I'll still prefer the double barrel because that's my thing, but I know Fyndir especially dug the 870 which this thing seems similar to.
    It's interesting because they'd previously said they'd have to redo the way ammo loading works to be able to create a pump shotgun (I assumed in reference to not being able to add more ammo without unloading current ammo) but either they fixed that or said fuck it and it'll be like the other guns where you gotta eject all the current rounds to add new ones any ways.

Ash of Yew on
    GIVE ME THE BIZON KOBRA SD

Tuesday nights suck for dayzing. We joined like 5 different servers and they all went down within 10 mins. They do maintenance on wednesday mornings/tuesday nights.

I did get to shoot some fucking clown-faced idiot though. That felt good. Real good.

has anyone played with the crossbow yet, and know if its decent/actually works?

edited May 2014
    I carried it on my back a few times, but on those occasions never found any bolts for it.

I just killed two bad guys who logged in onto me while I was looting the jail. I don't know if I would have survived if the moto_helmet_lime error message didn't warn me.

c6m25vv4.jpg

Platy on
    Lesson? Stop wearing stupid helmets. Problem solved!

edited May 2014
    I spent like an hour server hopping trying to get myself an M4 and better gear.

I found nothing but pants, a pristine acog scope, and ammo for Platy.

Which makes me question even harder how so many people have M4s without cheating.

Buttcleft on
    where are you looking? I've had surprising success in school buildings. third floor, back room.

Hamuel wrote: »
    where are you looking? I've had surprising success in school buildings. third floor, back room.

Seriously, M4s spawn in schools?

Silly me, I was looking in the goddamn military bases