As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    We like playing with you!

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you don't mind occasionally getting shot (and we're all sorry when it happens!) we want you to stick around.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    I'm gonna go on an adventure to the NWAF, I think.

You should come with me, Chuwero.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I swear to god I hate stand alone.

Sneak up on a guy at the NEAF, shotgun him in the back.

Of course, this ruins literally everything he is holding but his mosin. So I'm looting him, doing the inventory shuffle to take his gun and his ruined backpack when Ham chimes in on Mumble that my desync is like 10,000 or something, Which is wonderful and explains why a guy suddenly appeared infront of me and instantaneously fired 3 shoots into my face.

So just going to post some mod related stuff maybe i'll spur some interest :stuck_out_tongue:

Epoch Napf is a very huge map. Kind of hard to solo, but better for a group. Once you get a base and a cheap cesna I think it'd be a lot of fun. Seriously the map is so huge, and theres so many open fields and stuff that airplanes are pretty much the best transport.

Epoch Panther is a very cool map, very hilly and with lots of windy roads that can make ambushing players a blast.

The AI on both maps really livens it up. In my opinion the AI is a whole lot of pluses and only one negative, and that negative being if you get into a firefight with another player in the 1/1000 chance that AI come rolling by they might dismount and get involved, but even that negative is really a bonus because more intense firefights!

Also spent some time on a really good DayZ 1.8 server this morning. Which was fun.
    @vsove holy shit I just only now realized you wanted to go to the NWAF and not the NEAF. I am totally down for that, and that explains a lot cause I was kinda confused yesterday all like wait we were just there..weren't we? confusion

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I would also totally be up for going to the NWAF btw

Speaking of 1.8.

Earlier today, spawned in Balota, got a backpack and a PDW and made the run to cherno. I lowered my guard cause I had several encounters with nice people who didn't try to shoot me, and sidechat seemed to generally be full of nice people, so when I found someone trapped in the cherno hospital (logged out in it before restart, old break in hospital, not the dayzero walk in type hospital) I unloaded half a mag of bizon ammo into the glass to break him out.

He profusely thanks me, asks if I need a bloodbag, as soon as I turn my back to loot a medbox he whips out a crowbar and bludgeons me to death. Was annoyed, but not mad. Just signed the death warrants for everyone I come across in the future :smiling_imp:

I blasted a lot of dudes with my shotgun last night, it was pretty satisfying. Shot a dude at like 40m who was aiming at us, had a double barrel vs double barrel shoot out in the stairwell of the apartment which is always fun.
    Even killed some fresh spawn who had a bright blue check shirt I wanted. I shot him in the legs first, then the head, taking special care not to ruin my new shirt =P

Shot a bunch of other dudes too.

edited May 2014
    I'm having a lot of fun with the mods, I wish you weren't to good for mods :disappointed:

edit

Okay, so if you ever wanted a reason to play one of the life mods in arma 2..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV2BQu8jHT8

Buttcleft on
    edited May 2014
    We've tried doing those Life things before, the problem is that it takes a ton of boring work to do anything worthwhile. All these videos are by "famous" youtubers who jump on servers, and automatically get accepted by the bandit crews or whatever. Like the one above, "name your own price" that's just because he's devildog gamer.

Without the cooool hook ups, you just end up getting harassed by the cops and it's like playing DayZ or something except you don't even have a chance to pick up a gun/fight back.

So while I like the concept, in my experience the reality is kinda lame.

Ash of Yew on
    I can confirm that with close to default FOV, the range finding lines on the acog for the m4 function properly. Line up the width of the horizontal lines with the target's shoulders, fairly decent estimate.

So I imagine the PSO scope will work fine if you haven't fucked up your FOV.
    Sorry Fyndir.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I can confirm that with close to default FOV, the range finding lines on the acog for the m4 function properly. Line up the width of the horizontal lines with the target's shoulders, fairly decent estimate.

So I imagine the PSO scope will work fine if you haven't fucked up improved your FOV.
    Sorry Fyndir.

Fyndir on
    edited May 2014
    I don't know how you play with an insane FOV Fyndear.

Also, how the fuck does DayZero expect to survive? Apparently the only servers for it in the whole world are the 3 hosted by zombies.nu

Buttcleft on
    this Vanilla dayZ server I found sure is reminding me a lot of our dayzero adventures.

sniping is sooo easy in arma 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECSytD8ESE&feature=youtu.be

I'm looking forward to when they fix it in DayZ.

u

jst

wont

e
    z

moad

you could get awesome sniping..in the mod!

edited May 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    you could get awesome sniping..in the mod!
    been there done that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqwAJr8zY8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toppeXC3KDs

I miss gatts! Where is that guy

Ash of Yew on
    Where did Gatts go..

That's a good god damn question.

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    @SamuraiGatts‌ where the hell are ya

@SamuraiGatts what the fuck why did you go radio silent man.

Look when a submarine goes radio silent you gotta just chill out and wait, it may be in hostile waters, there may be a destroyer sitting on top of it and the crew and nervously clenching their cheeks to hold in their farts until it moves.

Just gotta trust them, bros.

I bought a black toothbrush

It's tactical

found the worst sniper in history in cherno just now. Not just because of his inability to hit, but his poor choices at hidden low probability targets.

I was at the far north of cherno, past all the builldings when shots started impacting around me. They had to be coming from a long distance away because the sounds of the shot being fired were a good second/second and a half behind the impacts around me. I could not see where he was or get an idea on direction, all I could do was serpentine along the edge of the city before running up to the white barn.

He must have fired like 30 rounds at me, and the only time he hit me was when I got stuck on a bush and couldn't move. Hell I lost more blood from bleeding on the run for cover than I did from his shot.

Ya gotta practice some how man.

Yeah, but presumably trapped on a tower in the middle of cherno announcing to the world your position by firing several dozens shots to hit one person at the extreme edge of your range who is actively dodging and moving across your field of fire is probably a poor choice for practice.

Maybe he relished the challenge!

Yeah, but presumably trapped on a tower in the middle of cherno announcing to the world your position by firing several dozens shots to hit one person at the extreme edge of your range who is actively dodging and moving across your field of fire is probably a poor choice for practice.

In all seriousness, this is actually how I used to practice. Grab a gun, climb the cherno tower or whatever, and go at it.
    I'm of the opinion if you never try for the hard shots you're never going to get better at it, so I like to try shooting at moving targets at range. It's easy to hit stationary people.

That said, the guy probably was just shitty and not actually actively practicing =P

I was checking out the tweeters for information and was looking at Hicks's (DayZ Producer) and he was going on about Ultima Online again. I've seen him in the past trying to get in contact with Richard Garriott and such.
    Makes me happy, UO was the best game ever so any inspiration they can take from it the better imo. I've always said that while DayZ is obviously quite a different genre, I think it shares the same fundamental spirit of UO and that's one of the major appeals to me.

Some one mentioned DayZ should have IDOCs and he said that's not a bad idea =P

To explain what an IDOC is: UO had player housing, which you had to refresh once a week or it would slowly start to deteriorate. It would have several stages of decay until it collapsed, which you could tell by reading the house sign. The last stage before it collapsed read "in danger of collapsing," hence idoc. It would fall I think 48 hours from the point it changed to idoc, but you were very unlikely to randomly happen upon a house and click the sign to see it change (no outward appearance on the house for changing states). What this lead to was people would happen upon an IDOC, not know exactly when it was going to fall, and word would get out about it so tons of people would come around. Resulting in massive fights and people camping and what not, until the thing finally fell which would then result in a mad scramble for all the loot as well as trying to place your own house (there was limited usable property in the world). It was a lot of fun.

I don't think DayZ intends to have the same sort of "secure" housing UO did (you couldn't really break down doors or anything, though you could sneak in or steal their door key or whatever), so idocs probably wouldn't even be necessary as you'll likely be able to just break into places like Epoch, but who knows what sort of inspiration it could add to the systems they decide on.

I looooved UO.

And yeah, I agree, there's a similar feeling between the two.

I had a three room house (the rectangular ones, with the big main room and two smaller rooms in the back) just between Britain and Vesper, in the swamp.

My buddy decided to give a random person a key because 'he seemed cool'. Next day it was completely cleaned out. He did not agree with my suggestion that it was perhaps that dude who did it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    vsove wrote: »
    I looooved UO.

And yeah, I agree, there's a similar feeling between the two.

I had a three room house (the rectangular ones, with the big main room and two smaller rooms in the back) just between Britain and Vesper, in the swamp.

My buddy decided to give a random person a key because 'he seemed cool'. Next day it was completely cleaned out. He did not agree with my suggestion that it was perhaps that dude who did it.

Hahaha nice
    My brother had a small house north of brit, near the graveyard. One day he lost one of his keys, so he kinda just stopped giving a shit and went and made a bunch of copies of his other key and started just handing them out. I don't think he actually told anyone where it was, and I'm not even sure he got looted but it was pretty goofy.

Eventually they made it so containers in houses were secure though, only accessible by the owner/friends which is less fun. Though that doesn't stop my buddy who I've been UOing for years with, from infiltrating enemy guilds when ever we get the UO itch again on free shards, and slowly cleaning them out. Guy won't even tell me he made some character in our enemy's guild, I'll be fighting him for like a month without knowing it, telling him stories about how I had some fight while he was offline, only to have him go "hey, you know what? I'm (insert goofy ass name here)."

edited May 2014
    @Vsove what kind of base did you want to make, fortify an existing structure or build a whole new one somewhere? In the middle of the wilderness or taking up a whole block in a major city?

We're going to have to get some tents, hatchets, crowbars, toolboxes and a vehicle before doing anything, imho, because the only sane way to amass the amount of cinderblock needed for either of those is hit a building supplies mission and, if we win, claim all the sweet sweet cinderblock and mortar for ourselves, for free.

Buttcleft on
    There was a tiny patch last night

"security enhancements" I'm just gonna assume they fixed all hacking, forever, yaaay. =P

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    There was a tiny patch last night

"security enhancements" I'm just gonna assume they fixed all hacking, forever, yaaay. =P

If you hack, you are permanently turned into a rabbit.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    So the patch also introduced a bunch of terrible new spawns. Such as, Dolina, Pollana factory itself, Dubrovka, Khelm etc.

Now, some of these aren't inherently bad, but the thing I don't like about these inland spawns is what's going to happen in the future? When vehicles are implemented and Pollana factory becomes an important location again, it's gonna suck balls having people spawning right in on it. Being in the middle of a fight, or refueling your car or whatever, just to have fuckers running around getting in your shit.

Also, what about when barricading and base building becomes a thing? Putting spawns in some of these more out of the way towns, which could have served as decent positions to barricade a house and make a base or whatever just means you're going to have dudes at your door.

I mean, the thing is, we don't know how the game is going to turn out and they're adding new towns and the map is constantly changing. Maybe places like Pollana won't be important any more, maybe the warehouses out at Komorovo are going to be the new cool place to get parts. That's fine, but I still think that's all the more reason to wait on changing spawns. Spawns are an issue of balance, so why fuck with them now when they don't care about balance in any other aspect of the game.

They should have left all coastal spawns until they got this shit figured out imo.

Theres always the mod.

Theres always the mod.

Chuwero I already beat the mod!

I think maybe they're trying to get people used to the whole map over the course of alpha. Change spawns every so often so people eventually see the whole thing, and then build out proper spawns once there's more to the game - ie, end of alpha.

I mean, -personally- I enjoy the centre/NW of the map, so it's all just meh for me right now, but it sorta makes sense. If you make sure everyone has experienced the map as a whole, you make sure they've seen everything there is to offer.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited May 2014
    I really don't think that's the case. I've seen in a video, and maybe some posts, where the devs have said they want you to spawn on the east and travel west for loot.

They're basically doing what the mod did, with the NW and NE (so north in general) being where you go for loot, except since they fucked up balota by making it such a big mil spawn place, they've changed it to the east and west, instead of south and north.

I mean, maybe they are doing what you suggest, I know Ham has suggested the same thing, but I just don't think they're even putting that much thought into it.
    Also, all the new spawns are still in the NE that they've added, at least that I've seen so far.

Ash of Yew on