As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tech question, building/buying a small media pc/server

KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding setting up a small media PC, but first THE PREAMBLE! I'm fairly tech savvy (I have built most of my pc's and can handle moderately difficult tech-tasks) but I have zero experience with micro/all-in-one systems. I've recently built an entertainment centre that takes up an entire wall and has a wall-mount tv, full surround system, 360, receiver and apple tv wired into it (in a large cabinet, wired through the walls and mantle).

What I'd like to do is put a small/micro pc in that I can dump files onto via my homegroup (windows 8/7), have a wireless mouse/keyboard set up with it, and basically just run hdmi/power to it via my receiver.

Ideally the system can run to the tv on one of the HDMI settings on the receiver and to my families devices via airvideo server HD.

I have a large external HDD, so internal space isn't a huge concern, but I need wifi/hdmi/processing power to run to a TV and I have no idea what I'm looking for. A perk would be if it cooled fairly quietly as it's in a fairly contained space and might kick up a bit of noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Bnet - Khraul#1822
Gamertag - Khraul
PSN - Razide6