As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    So @CorriganX‌ has piled Dead Island: Epidemic on top of my burgeoning moba addiction. DOTA 2 is becoming an obsession but I can definitely see myself playing DI:E for a more chilled out experience.

edit: Oh yeah. Thanks. Jerk.

I usually hate MOBAs, but I liked epidemic. It felt more like a ARPG to me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Huzzah, house internet cut off. Can't wait to flounder in the labor pool and start paying bills with reckless abandon.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    So @CorriganX‌ has piled Dead Island: Epidemic on top of my burgeoning moba addiction. DOTA 2 is becoming an obsession but I can definitely see myself playing DI:E for a more chilled out experience.

I haven't had a chance to check out all of the modes. I haven't gotten to the full blown moba gameplay yet. The coop stuff that I've played is a lot like a small action RPG and it was pretty fun and isn't as high pressure as Dota 2. I'm looking forward to getting to the meatier stuff, but I've enjoyed what's there so far.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I finally had some backlog success last week and I managed to knock off Mass Effect 1 and Bastion. I'm not 100%ing them. I don't have the time for that and I don't care about achievements. ME1 was expectedly awesome. I really liked it and I'm looking forward to getting around to ME2 sometime soon.

For Bastion, I really like the look, the soundtrack and the narrator but, to be honest, the gameplay was pretty repetitive. And I'm glad I had it on the mode where you just hit start to get back up because there were times where I was being mobbed by bad guys and there was nothing I could about it. Then I would revive and they would one shot me. Also, the reflection sections were really long. All that said, I'm definitely interested in checking out Transistor as I think the people who made Bastion have shown that there is some real talent there.

Now a quick question: I decided to fire up The Last Remnant the yesterday and is it just me or is the battle system really confusing? Has anyone else played it and can say if it's worth my time? I only paid a couple of bucks for it a while ago and every time I try to get into it, I just get so confused that I lose interest and put it down for too long. It makes it hard to jump back in where I left off.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Now a quick question: I decided to fire up The Last Remnant the yesterday and is it just me or is the battle system really confusing? Has anyone else played it and can say if it's worth my time? I only paid a couple of bucks for it a while ago and every time I try to get into it, I just get so confused that I lose interest and put it down for too long. It makes it hard to jump back in where I left off.

It's confusing because there's really no tutorial (or it's pretty barebones, I can't remember.) If you're into JRPGs in general it's worth your time, just keep in mind that it takes a while for the battle system to click into place. For example: ranges and the like are important, maybe not so in the beginning but later on you'll have fights in bigger areas where you'll end up splitting and unable to fire assists among your units.

Extra tip: If you have a decent machine (mid-range of today, for most accounts) you can *really* make the game shine with a few .ini edits.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I finally had some backlog success last week and I managed to knock off Mass Effect 1 and Bastion. I'm not 100%ing them. I don't have the time for that and I don't care about achievements. ME1 was expectedly awesome. I really liked it and I'm looking forward to getting around to ME2 sometime soon.

For Bastion, I really like the look, the soundtrack and the narrator but, to be honest, the gameplay was pretty repetitive. And I'm glad I had it on the mode where you just hit start to get back up because there were times where I was being mobbed by bad guys and there was nothing I could about it. Then I would revive and they would one shot me. Also, the reflection sections were really long. All that said, I'm definitely interested in checking out Transistor as I think the people who made Bastion have shown that there is some real talent there.

That's why I never finished it. The battle system is ridiculously obtuse. There's so much information being thrown at you, and the game doesn't tell you what ANY OF IT MEANS.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    After playing last remnent, FFVIII shines.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Iji's on steam? But yeah, fantastic game.

No, it's still stand-alone; I think it was mentioned in reference to metroidvanias or something (though it's not a metroidvania).
    Now play it again
    except don't murder anyone for the first quarter of the game and try to keep some rebels alive at the end.

I got all the ribbons, luckily, but 2/10 was my poster count. Found the hidden skill entries, never used 'em. I plan to hit it again later for a pacifist run, which apparently will consist entirely of running past enemies screaming and the reflector when it's off its half-hour cooldown.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I always like seeing this. My deep love for the series verges, I fear, on the slightly deranged. Glad you dug it. :)

(And you're right, it doesn't need 100%-ing, there's too many inconsequential collectathons in it for that; toned down a lot in the sequels. But I hope you had some fun with sidequests. They'll come back at you in 2 and 3, often in awesome ways.)

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Remember Me is on sale at Greenman Gaming for $/€10.19 . That means the "spend over 10 bucks/euros" coupon (ZMMIEX-EW1476-0PNL11) works, making it just $/€8.16.
    Great deal, one more off the wishlist! :smiley:

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Aww man, Dawn of War 2 isn't on sale anymore? I knew I shoulda bought it yesterday. Dangit.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If it's any consolation, Dawn of War 2 has frequently been as cheap as $5 according to isthereanydeal.com

That's what I'm holding out for.

EDIT: Although if you're really interested, it seems it's still $10 at Amazon

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular

The Last Remnant is somewhat infamous for not explaining much of anything to the player. I haven't played it myself in a long time, but give the Wiki a look, if you haven't done so already. I think I got about a third through the game, before I quit in frustration.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My wife is currently using her holiday to play Long Live the Queen. So far her first "ending" was to be captured and imprisoned forever. It took her over an hour to get to that ending. I'm wondering if that's normal.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Dust: An Elysian Tale
    Loading...?

Fuck this gay earth, I hope this works.

@Gear Girl‌, you are listed in steam as both owning the game and wishing for it. So are several other people who I can't remember right now.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Gear Girl, you are listed in steam as both owning the game and wishing for it. So are several other people who I can't remember right now.

It's the bug that if you didn't actually purchase it through Steam it doesn't take it off your wishlist. Had the same problem with my sister when I gave her the Banner Saga humble bundle.

Not that you yourself needed to be reminded of this Royce.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    If you have Enhanced Steam, it adds a button to your wishlist at the bottom that will remove any games your already own.
    Handy if you have a large wishlist and an even bigger backlog

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    So LaCabra posted a link over in the Game Dev thread but I don't think we've talked about it in here. He's got a really meaty blog post up about sales figures for InFlux: http://impromptugames.com/

Fascinating stuff. I'm always grateful when devs pull back the curtain and share sales figures.

I was playing it tonight - beautiful game - because I saw that it has Steam cards. Is that new? It's not even listed on the store page. Very few of my Steam friends have the cards. I hope he'll follow up on this post down the line and share any impact Steam cards have had on revenue and or actual game sales.

Also this:

signature.png

HXxJbR7.png

Just under an hour a day? to get in on this, folks.

Or you could just buy it.

Or if you have it you could play it and get the new Steam cards and then buy the cards you need to complete the badge.

Lots of options, here, people.

EDIT: Plus how can you not love this badge title:

CQKbVXC.jpg

Boom: Congrats, @Talus9952!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Whoops! I knew I forgot to do something today. To be fair, my plans for the whole day were kind of messed up when I brought my car in for repairs at 7 AM after scheduling an appointment online, only to find they were actually closed today (and I am sure I've brought my car in for service there on Memorial Day before!). I completely forgot about my Steamgifts giveaway as a result and just barreled through the last stretch of Mass Effect 3.

Anyway:
    signature.png

Congrats to @Jeix!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Wife got an ultrasound yesterday for our 3rd child. Turns out it was also an ultrasound for our 4th child.

signature.png

4 copies up for grabs.
    Reposting my "Get a 4-pack, give a 4-pack" giveaway

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

Boom: Congrats, @Talus9952!

An influx of class, thanks to our classy emperor!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    Loading...?

Fuck this gay earth, I hope this works.

@Gear Girl‌, you are listed in steam as both owning the game and wishing for it. So are several other people who I can't remember right now.

Whoops, fixed that thanks!

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Whoops! I knew I forgot to do something today. To be fair, my plans for the whole day were kind of messed up when I brought my car in for repairs at 7 AM after scheduling an appointment online, only to find they were actually closed today (and I am sure I've brought my car in for service there on Memorial Day before!). I completely forgot about my Steamgifts giveaway as a result and just barreled through the last stretch of Mass Effect 3.

Anyway:
    signature.png

Congrats to @Jeix!

Thanks @SteevL! This certainly looks like an interesting game, how did you enjoy the end of the Mass Effect trilogy? I heard they added more to it after I had beaten the last one but I never got around to trying the extra stuff.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So Watch Dogs. If you bought it on Uplay you get to play already! So I did! And it runs!

My specs are a dual core i3 cpu and 8GB ram with a 2GB 6950 (thanks again @minor incident‌!). In theory, it shouldn't run but I get to play it on high at around 20-30 fps or reduce it to medium for a more stable 30-ish. Looks about on par with gta IV maxed out when you're playign on medium but it's good fun enough that I don't mind it.

• Options
    Jeix wrote: »
    Thanks @SteevL! This certainly looks like an interesting game, how did you enjoy the end of the Mass Effect trilogy? I heard they added more to it after I had beaten the last one but I never got around to trying the extra stuff.

I enjoyed the Mass Effect trilogy quite a bit. I missed out on the original ending since I played the game after they had added a bunch of stuff. The first ending I got was pretty bad because I did something dumb, but I went through the ending sequence again and came away satisfied.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I don't keep track of where my games came from - today that probably is a good thing. Because if I knew which one of you people gave me Super Hexagon I would have to unfriend you and post rumors about you all over the internet. I booted it up for the first time today and not only is it hard, but when it reverse direction it makes me more nauseous than my Rift ever has!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    I don't keep track of where my games came from - today that probably is a good thing. Because if I knew which one of you people gave me Super Hexagon I would have to unfriend you and post rumors about you all over the internet. I booted it up for the first time today and not only is it hard, but when it reverse direction it makes me more nauseous than my Rift ever has!

I suck pretty badly at that game, although I did pass 60 seconds once or twice on the first level. The music is pretty good, assuming you live long enough to hear it. Someone did a pretty good guitar cover of the third level's music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljxyEHTihdw

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    The whole review embargo thing on Watch_dogs makes me super wary. Not letting people say whether or not your game is good or bad REALLY seems to indicate that its going to have some issues.

• Options
    I think they are more worried about this being the first time they tap into Rockstar's territory to this degree. Yes, Ubisoft has created open world games before, created beautiful cities and environments in ways that different from the Grand Theft Auto series. Watchdogs has the potential to do what GTA has done, and so much more.

They also know that Rockstar and other companies are going to watch what they do and take note. Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row have matched the "GTA genre" well. Watchdogs, however it does, will be emulated in one way or another, either in design, UI, or style. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and everyone will do so to Watchdogs if it means they take the next big market share.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So Watch Dogs. If you bought it on Uplay you get to play already! So I did! And it runs!

My specs are a dual core i3 cpu and 8GB ram with a 2GB 6950 (thanks again @minor incident‌!). In theory, it shouldn't run but I get to play it on high at around 20-30 fps or reduce it to medium for a more stable 30-ish. Looks about on par with gta IV maxed out when you're playign on medium but it's good fun enough that I don't mind it.

So basically their recommended specs are a load crap...

Why lie about that, it has to negatively affect their sales?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Maybe they didn't want to hurt the perception that Watch_Dogs is the super amazing next gen shit you ain't never seen before that only runs on the best future machines and latest consoles.

haha

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    For the record, if I had any money for a birthday giveaway, I would give away Space Marine because that is an awesome game that more people should play.

Someone give away Space Marine for me.

I gotcha, Ceno:

signature.png

;)

@Masume wins! Happy Birthday, @Ceno!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I am playing on ULTRA SETTINGS.

Okay so there was some artifacting but only in cockpit view mode.

Also, it doesn't look next gen at all. In fact, I'll go out further and say it looks meh.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Probably to help boost hardware sales. I bet people bought new video cards and cpus just for Watch Dogs. I think it's the most hype game from last year's E3, right?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Watch Dogs doesn't really look like a super next gen game (certainly no Second Son) yet its recommended requirements are absurd. And then they say if you want to do ultra settings you need even more absurd hardware. I really don't get it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, you mean to tell me that a game that looked amazing for a next-gen console at E3 doesn't look amazing any longer? Color me shocked.

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    For people that own Paranautical Activity, they just released the 1.8 patch that added 2 new super weapons, 11 new items,3 new bosses and tons of other new stuff!

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

DI:E has hooked me pretty hard.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Watch Dogs doesn't really look like a super next gen game (certainly no Second Son) yet its recommended requirements are absurd. And then they say if you want to do ultra settings you need even more absurd hardware. I really don't get it.

It's a bad port.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Loading...?

ANyone know how to use Tilemill? It won't import my CSV file.

edit: I REALLY should have mentioned this was for Dust: An Elysian Tale after someone misclicked earlier.

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.