As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. [Godzilla] HAIL GHIDORAH!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Pacific Rim didn't have monster fatigue, but the Hong Kong fight was definitely the high point of the film. Which is a problem because there's still the rift fight after that which should be the climax of the film. But I'm don't think that the rift fight was not as good because of monster fighting overexpose, I'd put it down to the boring location and it's shortness. It also doesn't have the same character impact.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I almost started crying after the first big closeup of Godzilla.

It was so perfect.

For me the perfect scene was...
    When you see the glowing tail in the shadows as the glow travels up the spine revealing Godzilla charging up his first fuck you beam

Definitely. I think my exact reaction was, "If what I think is about to happen happens, I'm going to suddenly have a monster erection."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Just got back from taking my Mum to see this, which was really weird because this is WAY outside her usual wheelhouse, movie wise. But she really wanted to see this so off we went. I really liked it.
    The cut aways from the monster fights didn't bother me. I thought they would have. Fire breath was really well done, the beam throwing off blue fire was a great choice. The Muto's were really great monsters, and I'm super pumped to see more new monsters or their version of classic monsters in the sequel. I liked the human cast pretty well. Ford's voice work could have been better, but I think he did a good job with his body language. None of the human characters felt needlessly dickish which was a nice change of pace.

I asked my mom what she thought of it after we left the theater. "I liked Godzilla, he saved that military guy. He seemed nice."

There you go folks. Godzilla is "nice". :D

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Legendary put out a statement that is basically HEY YO GARETH IS STILL DOING GODZILLA 2 YOU GUYS

Apparently he was planned to do a non-Godzilla movie between now and Godzilla 2, he just lucked out and managed to get goddamn Star Wars

It also means we probably won't get Godzilla 2 until 2017-18 at the earliest.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    If not him, we could always get Gareth Evans to do the sequel right? I mean they almost have the same exact name, that's how that works right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Argh, the Red Letter Media guys didn't like Godzilla! That bums me out.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Look young lady, there's a lot you have to learn about many things besides brainwaves

• Options
    I just love the smooth radio announcer quality of every dude who did voiceover work in the 60s

• Options
    I think they got the Brooklyn kid from the English dub of Prince of Space to voice one of these kids

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I love the big crowd moments where it's just like 5 dudes going "oh ho yeah grr hmm" for like 20 seconds.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Speaking of giant monsters, did I mention I saw Gamera Vs. Zigra a couple nights ago?

Because that film is Stupid. As. Fuck.

Also, 2 irritating kids! Because the Gamera films with one irritating kid just aren't bad enough.

The aliens have a ray or... something that makes 13.5 earthquakes. Somehow, this doesn't even completely level Tokyo.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I saw this last night and easily my favorite part of the climax was
    Godzilla holding MaMuto's head as a trophy for a little bit after the kill

That whole scene just had me quietly saying "yooooooooo"

Also, Muto courtship was 100% adorable okay

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The only complaint I have right now is that when
    Godzilla suddenly appears at the airport to confront one of the MUTOs, the moment of awed silence did not last long enough.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I love how most of Godzilla's encounters with Rodan just boil down to Rodan pecking his face while Godzilla flails around, presumably screaming "Stop fucking pecking me you flying fuck".

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Godzilla vs most flying Kaiju

"Stop this shit or I'm going to smack you so hard, Mothra will try to stop the hate crime I'm going to commit to your face"

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    You forgot the part where he throws like fifty boulders at them.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That amused me about
    the flying Muto too - every time he would attack, he'd kinda peck at the front a bit before he managed to get around to the back of Godzilla's head, and just start clawing at his face from there.

Well. Almost every time.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    That amused me about
    the flying Muto too - every time he would attack, he'd kinda peck at the front a bit before he managed to get around to the back of Godzilla's head, and just start clawing at his face from there.

Well. Almost every time.

and every time
    godzilla just forgot he had hands

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. It's a movie I would absolutely recommend seeing in 3D IMAX. I wouldn't have minded a leeeeetle bit more screen time for the big guy but overall I liked it.
    I did have to laugh a bit at how many time it seemed like an unimaginably enormous creature kinda sneaks into the frame or isn't seen at first.

Like the scene when the female MUTO is charging through Vegas and they show a person looking through binoculars and he's looking at open desert only to move his gaze a little bit to the right and see the giant monster.

Also when they find the sub on land and male MUTO is just chilling on the other side of it.

And when the group of soldiers has to open a little door to realize half of a mountain has been destroyed.

And to a degree when Godzilla "sneaks" up on the female MUTO at the end.

It all reminded me of the scene in Shaun of the Dead where they peak out the mail slot and think the coast is clear, only to look a few feet over and see the complete disaster in the street.

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    When will movies understand emps?

Also what evolutionary advantage would an emp offer a prehistoric monster? You know... Before electricity...

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Also what evolutionary advantage would an emp offer a prehistoric monster? You know... Before electricity...

actually, considering a lot of animals use earth's natural magnetic fields for a lot of things, a creature having the ability to unleash a disorienting EMP at will doesn't sound so far fetched.

also, we know other kaiju have existed in the past that interacted with the MUTOs. who knows what the hell they're capable of.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

actually, considering a lot of animals use earth's natural magnetic fields for a lot of things, a creature having the ability to unleash a disorienting EMP at will doesn't sound so far fetched.

also, we know other kaiju have existed in the past that interacted with the MUTOs. who knows what the hell they're capable of.

This is true.

Now I imagining giant sea monsters with electric powers.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

One of them gave it a B+ and the other one likes Lars Von Trier films and shit

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    yti0ttE.jpg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Also it would be very reasonable to say it is less a defense mechanism and more a natural bi-product of digestion.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

broke my hand and nose facepalming at this post

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So are the MUTOs new to the Godzilla mythos?

The movie made it sound like they were parasites that killed other kaiju so I was just wondering if it would be possible for a future Godzilla and pals vs MUTO gang battle.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The MUTOs are new I think yeah. They didn't seem very parasite-y to me though, I know they said they were but it's not exactly like the female tried to lay her eggs in Godzilla or anything. I guess the eggs just need a strong nuclear source to survive and other Kaiju are the best source of that when there are no warheads lying around.

So yeah, I finally saw this, it was alright, I wasn't exactly blown away by it but it was fine.
    It did a pretty good job of building tension considering I didn't particularly care for any of the characters.
    And I'm not sure that choosing to focus so much on these human characters and then have them acheive basically squat throughout the film was such a great choice. I get that it's trying to get across these Kaiju as some vast primordial force which humanity is powerless against, which is fine, but if you're doing that then maybe you want a little more focus on the monsters themselves?
    I dunno, I'm not a scriptwriter.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I thought the scientists said the reason the snake kaiju died was because of the parasites laying eggs in it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They did. But the MUTOs never really showed any other parasitic tendencies for the rest of the film that I can recall, and were quite happy to lay their eggs in a cave rather than a giant snake. In fact I guess the female digs that crater herself to lay her eggs in, so they must not need a host to survive.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    They did. But the MUTOs never really showed any other parasitic tendencies for the rest of the film that I can recall, and were quite happy to lay their eggs in a cave rather than a giant snake. In fact I guess the female digs that crater herself to lay her eggs in, so they must not need a host to survive.
    the centerpiece was the stolen nuke though, which they might have thought was some kind of stunned or immobile prey animal.

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

broke my hand and nose facepalming at this post

Why would you do that to yourself

• Options
    I mean

I like Lars Von Trier films and shit

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    There's a difference?!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    aight I thought it was some kinda reverse snobbery

• Options
    That said I kind of thought Udo Kier was the only thing that got me through Melancholia, but I feel the same way about Barb Wire

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Also it would be very reasonable to say it is less a defense mechanism and more a natural bi-product of digestion.

EMP farts that come out of your elbow.

I like it.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Just saw this this weekend and I loved it but what was up with Godzilla being some shadow stepping ninja?

Like 2 or 3 times in that movie you have no idea he is anywhere near you until you see him lol

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Just saw this this weekend and I loved it but what was up with Godzilla being some shadow stepping ninja?

Like 2 or 3 times in that movie you have no idea he is anywhere near you until you see him lol

350 feet tall is huge but he also seems to move much lower than that a lot more often