As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    As I stare at SWAT 4 on my bookshelf, I pine for it on Steam or GOG, and wonder if mods can save its doomed multiplayer.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »

I'd pay $4 for Force Unleashed.

I most certainly would NOT pay $5 for AC3.

not even for the sake of curiosity? That bad, huh?

Yeah, I'm kind of curious at this as well. I never got the impression that it was a shitty game, just a one with very divided opinions about it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What's the listing of the Humble Bundle today? I'd check myself but it's blocked at work.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    napolean 2 I believe, for beat the average. if you don't it's just an art pack.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

Wait, so the Mac code will let me play it on my PC? I take it because it's a Steam code the platform doesn't matter? Cuz I never played FU.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah, I'm kind of curious at this as well. I never got the impression that it was a shitty game, just a one with very divided opinions about it.

I don't think it was a shitty game...it just wasn't good either. Mediocre seems like the most apt description for it. The problem for me anyway was that parkour is the highlight of the AC games, however in AC3 I found myself in the unable to do that through the woods. You could go from tree to tree a few times, but you always inevitable came to a point where there wasn't another tree close enough in the direction that you needed to go and you had to jump back onto the ground and run. Another problem with it is that Conner (the assassin) is certainly not Ezio, or even Altier, in the personality department.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I bought Assassin's Creed III on release for my 360 and was pretty disappointed, but it was one of those rare games where I paid full price for it. At $5 I would have still been disappointed, but it wouldn't have stung as much. My main problem with the game was that I didn't like the main character as much as Ezio from AC2.

I did feel seriously burned out from the series after that one, though. I never got around to AC IV, although I've heard it's significantly better. The ship combat was probably the best part of the third game, so hearing that it's been fleshed out is kind of exciting.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I've never enjoyed a single entry in the Assassins Creed franchise.

But then again looking at my backlog. The only games i've completed on steam are

FTL, The Binding of Isaac, Super House of Dead Ninjas, and Deadlight

so maybe it's just not for me.

steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I think $5 is the perfect amount to pay for AC3. I think I paid $7.50 or so for it, and thought it was worth it.

Probably never going to get around to finishing it, unless Uplay has decent cloud saves and my progress is still there, because there is no way I'm doing all that bullshit again. I was on my way to 100%-ing it when my harddrive crapped out on me....so much random tedious bullshit.

But the setting is neat, gorgeous, and the sailing just about makes up for all the shitty UI decisions.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's AC4 I think. AC3 was redcoats and bad AI.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

Wait, so the Mac code will let me play it on my PC? I take it because it's a Steam code the platform doesn't matter? Cuz I never played FU.

@Fawst

The game is a steamplay game. If you look at the steam store, you'll find SteamPlay on there somewhere. A SteamPlay title means, if you buy it on any platform(MAC, PC, or Linux, that is, assuming the game has Mac, PC, and linux versions), you'll be able to play it on all the platforms. Buying the game for MAC, will unlock both PC and MAC versions for you to play on steam.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    Also just a heads up. I just tried the steam key for the sega genesis thing and I uh

I think the only game that showed up for me was toe jam and earl. I can't remember if I already had Sonic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    That's AC4 I think. AC3 was redcoats and bad AI.

They introduced sailing in 3, then focused on it in 4 with the pirates. Haven't played that one yet.

But then again looking at my backlog. The only games i've completed on steam are

That's fair. I've personally never gotten into certain popular series games too. Splinter Cell comes to mind. Except for Splitner Cell Conviction. That one seemed a bit more my style...but I never did get more than 1/3rd of the way through it.

That being said, all the games you listed just now are awesome (well, Deadlight is just OK).

Also just a heads up. I just tried the steam key for the sega genesis thing and I uh

I think the only game that showed up for me was toe jam and earl. I can't remember if I already had Sonic.

"First of all, this is all going to be managed through Steam. When you buy the pack Amazon will give you a steam code. Enter it and it will download the Sega Interface. It will appear as though it's only given you one game: Toejam and Earl. DON'T PANIC - CHECK YOUR E-MAIL"

steam_sig.png
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Svevin wrote: »
    A couple of giveaways for you fine folks:

signature.png

signature.png

Good luck!

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    @Fawst‌

For clarity, I've grabbed a screenshot. The circled part shows the title is a Steamplay title, and that it supports Windows and Mac.

q9cVs35.jpg

Talus9952 on
    steam_sig.png
    SteevL wrote: »

That's fair. I've personally never gotten into certain popular series games too. Splinter Cell comes to mind. Except for Splitner Cell Conviction. That one seemed a bit more my style...but I never did get more than 1/3rd of the way through it.

That being said, all the games you listed just now are awesome (well, Deadlight is just OK).

Too funny. Conviction was probably the weakest game in the series (IMO).

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I thought Force Unleashed was pretty good. Fun times with Darth Vader being the worst stepdad ever.

Had the most unnecessary and rushed feeling sequel I've ever seen in my life though. If they were going to continue the series, it should have been about something completely different.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    @Fawst‌

For clarity, I've grabbed a screenshot. The circled part shows the title is a Steamplay title, and that it supports Windows and Mac.

q9cVs35.jpg

Thanks, I just looked it up using Teleglitch as an example and saw that logo :) Bought the Mac code off Amazon and am installing it now on my PC.

I'm getting a better grasp on this whole "serve the Newell" thing.

SteevL wrote: »

Except toward the end of Deadlight

it's like they ran out of money or time or i don't know.

steam_sig.png
    Fawst wrote: »
    Too funny. Conviction was probably the weakest game in the series (IMO).

Yeah, it wasn't really like the other ones I played, which is probably why I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't try any games after that one though.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, is the Force Unleashed the one that has a massive install size and has that weird Star Destroyer bug?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    TFU 2 is worth it just for Ewok punting.
    http://youtu.be/luV_BWywZaQ

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Wait, is the Force Unleashed the one that has a massive install size and has that weird Star Destroyer bug?
    It wasn't a bug it was just terrible command prompts. It took what should have been one of the coolest moments in the game and made it the most frustrating.

And, yes, iirc it was something like 30gb install.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The new Bundle Stars bundle for $2 is:

Tropico Trilogy
    Hard Reset Extended Edition
    Combat Wings: Battle of Britain
    Inquisitor Deluxe Edition
    Zeno Clash 2
    The First Templar

bought it for Inquisitor, Zeno Clash 2 & First Templar, one of those has to be worth £1.49

I already have the rest so if anyone wants one of these PM me

Tropico Trilogy

I also just had Dead Island: Epidemic show up in my inventory and I can't see myself playing it, anyone want it?

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    New Humble Mobile bundle is pretty good. Probably getting it just for Breach & Clear.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ezio was the Renaissance Batman...Deathstroke.....Question? A hero that swoops from rooftops, murders people, and protects the week.
    Bitchy blog post in spoiler.
    It was going to be hard to top him, and yet they did with Liberation. So its a real question of what went so wrong with AC3 and so right with AC:BF.

I want to engage you on a game by game basis, but I remember the slog that was AC1 and how bland the Story was in AC:R, the former lacking game elements, the latter lacking good Antagonists.

If the open world gameplay didn't seem so fun for me personally, I'd say you were wrong.

The main problem with the assassin's creed games is that they vary wildly in consistency.
    • AC1->AC2, big leap in quality in gameplay, more female characters but most of them are prostitutes of some kind. Bonfire of the Vanities was a fun DLC.
    • AC2->AC:B Better gameplay and evironment, less female characters, less prostitutes, but now your sister is a the Madonna of Rome and both your romantic conquests are shuffled offscreen in fairly short order.
    • AC:B -> AC:R Better gameplay with the hook and bombs but I'm already a bad ass, I don't need the latter, the former should have come earlier in the series, where's my cool villain, and at least we get to see Altiar one more time

I enjoyed the series but am well aware of its flaws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loF8Q15b2-I&feature=kp
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loF8Q15b2-I&feature=kp

these end in a few hours. i've never played sonic 3D blast. somehow. i was too slow in my youth to pick it up. now's your chance.

steam_sig.png
    Ezio was the Renaissance Batman...Deathstroke.....Question? A hero that swoops from rooftops, murders people, and protects the week.
    It was going to be hard to top him, and yet they did with Liberation. So its a real question of what went so wrong with AC3 and so right with AC:BF.

I want to engage you on a game by game basis, but I remember the slog that was AC1 and how bland the Story was in AC:R, the former lacking game elements, the latter lacking good Antagonists.

If the open world gameplay didn't seem so fun for me personally, I'd say you were wrong.

The main problem with the assassin's creed games is that they vary wildly in consistency.
    • AC1->AC2, big leap in quality in gameplay, more female characters but most of them are prostitutes of some kind. Bonfire of the Vanities was a fun DLC.
    • AC2->AC:B Better gameplay and evironment, less female characters, less prostitutes, but now your sister is a the Madonna of Rome and both your romantic conquests are shuffled offscreen in fairly short order.
    • AC:B -> AC:R Better gameplay with the hook and bombs but I'm already a bad ass, I don't need the latter, the former should have come earlier in the series, where's my cool villain, and at least we get to see Altiar one more time

Also I found the plot to be incredibly frustrating.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    New Indie Gala has Oniken in the $1 tier.

edit: though purchasing doesn't seem to be working currently

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

I played through it on 360. As soon as the story was completed, I took the disc out, and sold it at work for what I paid for it. As others have said, as a game, it's merely mediocre, not bad or broken, just... not good. As an Assassin's Creed game, though, it commits a number of sins against it's forefathers:

1. There are almost no assassinationings.
    2. There aren't enough tall structures to make it worth climbing them.
    3. The main character is a completely unlikable angsty dick. He has reason to be, but c'mon, you have to give us a reason to give a shit.
    4. They completely flipped the bird at everyone interested in the Desmond story.
    5. Everything, and I mean everything, that AC3 does ok, AC4 does better.

Wiki the story if you really want, but move on to AC4.

Well, now I feel bad for giving out a couple of copies of AC3 :neutral_face:

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    But isn't the AC3 DLC supposed to be the bombdiggity?
    he wrote ironically, not at all in any way indicating that he was a completely out of touch dad

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Revelations felt more like an epilogue, and that's the only reason I slogged my way through it. Every now and then some little interesting tidbits would be reward enough.

After that I was (am?) burned out on AC.

Doesn't help that many Ubi-games do the same collect-a-thon in almost the same way and that doesn't help matters either.

Syberia is also awesome... just weird that it's the second one only.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    But isn't the AC3 DLC supposed to be the bombdiggity?
    he wrote ironically, not at all in any way indicating that he was a completely out of touch dad

The single-player DLC is you drinking magic tea, becoming a Metal Gear Solid boss and destroying the God-Emperor of Mankind America.

The story really was a middle finger. I looked it up online and remember thinking "OK, I didn't actually like Desmond as a character, but this storyline is just shit regardless."

The lore was interesting, but it's like they had a cool concept that just sort of went stupid then faded out. I don't even know what I'm supposed to think about the "real world" portion of ACIV. It's kiiiiiiiinda cool, I suppose, but I just don't know what they're doing any longer. I'm not sure if they do, either.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

You should never feel bad for gifting. Class is class, sir.

You should never feel bad for gifting. Class is class, sir.

Tell that to the recipients of bad rats! Not that I'm guilty of giving out bad rats. Just sayin ;)

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    The new Bundle Stars bundle for $2 is:

Tropico Trilogy
    Inquisitor Deluxe Edition
    Zeno Clash 2
    The First Templar

What's the word on a Inquisitor? I seem to remember it was...divisive?

Divisive between 'meh' and 'not good' maybe. I don't think the game had a champion the last time we heard from folks who had played it.

I've tried getting into Inquisitor. I want to love the game for it's Metalocalypse approach to setting and story. I have same problem getting into this that I do getting into Divine Divinity, and that's the incredibly tedious combat. I just keep bouncing off of that portion of the game. Occasionally I'll get the urge to go back to get more of the story and setting but then the grinding combat just turns me off. So if you can get through the early game combat in Divine Divinity without any problems then you can possibly get to the fun stuff in Inquisitor, which is all of the conversations, investigations and of course putting supsects to The Question.

Drake on
This discussion has been closed.