As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Well, the only Assassin's Creed I ever played was the first one, ages ago. I have it and 2 for Steam, but I'd like to finish at least Legend of Grimrock and maybe get myself to Hardmode in Terraria before I go for starting yet another game. Once I hit those ones, I'll see if I want the others, unless they go on a superb sale before I get to playing number 1 again and 2 for the first time.

But what really confuses me is this: didn't Desmond have any female assassin ancestors? When are they going to make a chick lead Assassin's Creed game? I think it's be fun to see, and to play, provided they didn't just make her a sexy eye candy chick.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Too funny. Conviction was probably the weakest game in the series (IMO).

Yeah, it wasn't really like the other ones I played, which is probably why I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't try any games after that one though.

It was pretty different, but I liked it, as a 3rd person cover shooter kind of way. I mean, it wasn't actively bad (and super buggy) like Double Agent was.

Blacklist did a great job combining it's systems with the older style of gameplay

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    But what really confuses me is this: didn't Desmond have any female assassin ancestors? When are they going to make a chick lead Assassin's Creed game? I think it's be fun to see, and to play, provided they didn't just make her a sexy eye candy chick.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation says hi.

Edit:
    Assassin%27s_Creed_III_Liberation_Cover_Art.jpg

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

Yeah, it wasn't really like the other ones I played, which is probably why I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't try any games after that one though.

The only one since then is last year's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, which (IMO) keeps what was good about Conviction (primarily its much more brisk pacing and the ability to use speed for stealth) and marries it to the best features of the old games, so you get back things like gadgets, non-lethal options, the iconic goggles, and so on. It's got an excellent and chilling antagonist, a very solid plot that even includes a few deft nods to some of the real-world concerns of the last couple of years, and has some truly amazing settings across its levels. It's got a ton of side-missions, most of which are co-op or solo playable and a few just co-op. Its scoring system makes it extremely replayable. And it brings back Spies vs Mercs multiplayer.

I cannot recommend Blacklist enough if you ever liked any Splinter Cell game. I picked it up (on 360) last year kind of on a whim and it ended up being my GOTY, no joke. It's by far the best one since Chaos Theory, at the very, very least.

- - - - -

The Wolf Among Us Episode 4? Okay, let's fire up the 360. Yup, there's the download link from in the game (got the season pass) and let's get it... oh.
    a8QWwS1.png

I guess I'll be getting "In Sheepÿÿÿs Clothing" tomorrow.

Nice one, Telltale.

(I know, it's not Steam, but I thought it was funny and wanted to share it with you guys.)

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Revelations pissed me off because after the villainous pimp that was Cesare Borgia, we get......someone? Who the fuck was the bad guy in Revalations?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Wait, is the Force Unleashed the one that has a massive install size and has that weird Star Destroyer bug?
    It wasn't a bug it was just terrible command prompts. It took what should have been one of the coolest moments in the game and made it the most frustrating.

And, yes, iirc it was something like 30gb install.

So glad to hear that other people had problems with that too. I've felt like an idiot for that one scene taking me like 20 mins. for years since playing it.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    What's the listing of the Humble Bundle today? I'd check myself but it's blocked at work.

@Madican‌

It looks like the Daily Humble Bundles are over. There is a new Humble PC/Android Bundle.

$1 Tier:
    Symphony
    Draw a Stickman: EPIC
    Galcon Legends:

BTA Tier(currently $4.73):
    Skulls of the Shogun
    Metal Slug 3
    Fieldrunners 2
    Breach and Clear
    More coming soon.

steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

Edit:

The frustrating thing about Liberation is that it's this third-string offshoot game that they shoved out for the Vita (later ported elsewhere because it's the Vita). Having a female protagonist is too weird and experimental, obviously, so we'll keep on using dudes for our big-budget tentpole entries of the franchise. It wasn't a terribly good game regardless.

At least they tried, I suppose, but it'd be better if they tried it on one of their Big Boy­ games.

Zxerol on
    Spoit wrote: »

It was pretty different, but I liked it, as a 3rd person cover shooter kind of way. I mean, it wasn't actively bad (and super buggy) like Double Agent was.

Blacklist did a great job combining it's systems with the older style of gameplay

I want to hit agree on this several times. After Double Agent being such a let-down, and Conviction being frankly an entirely different type of game, I'd largely written off what had at one point been one of my favourite series. Blacklist is an astonishing return to form.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Wait, is the Force Unleashed the one that has a massive install size and has that weird Star Destroyer bug?
    It wasn't a bug it was just terrible command prompts. It took what should have been one of the coolest moments in the game and made it the most frustrating.

And, yes, iirc it was something like 30gb install.

So glad to hear that other people had problems with that too. I've felt like an idiot for that one scene taking me like 20 mins. for years since playing it.

The TFU thread was flooded with problems back at release. The command prompts seem to be telling you to press LS-right and RS-down, but were meant to tell you use LS for horizontal, and RS for vertical.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Revelations pissed me off because after the villainous pimp that was Cesare Borgia, we get......someone? Who the fuck was the bad guy in Revalations?

You know what? I can't even remember either. What I do remember were some neat Altair-Ezio-Desmond bits. And throwing smoke bombs everywhere to double assassinate everyone.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I want to hit agree on this several times. After Double Agent being such a let-down, and Conviction being frankly an entirely different type of game, I'd largely written off what had at one point been one of my favourite series. Blacklist is an astonishing return to form.

I haven't played blacklist yet but Conviction was frankly my favorite game of the series with an amazing evolution of the stealth gameplay. The only thing I would have wanted more of it more chance to be a complete ghost. There were a lot of times where you had no choice but to deal with enemies which I usually hate but at least the game made that part awesome with the mark/execute system.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

You know what? I can't even remember either. What I do remember were some neat Altair-Ezio-Desmond bits. And throwing smoke bombs everywhere to double assassinate everyone.

Exactly, the antagonists in the rest of the AC games had presence, they had power, even if you only battled with them for a short arc, you feared them. AC:R....did not.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Much thanks to @chocobolicious for the Oniken key. NES looking game maybe you'll run on Toaster 200!

Hey, doesn't look like Steam had any weekly deals this week unless I am missing something.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Hey, doesn't look like Steam had any weekly deals this week unless I am missing something.

It does, it's just Tuesday. :p

SkutSkut wrote: »

It does, it's just Tuesday. :p

I too thought it was Monday. When I saw the midweek madness come up, I remembered it was Tuesday!

steam_sig.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Edit:

OH! I didn't know about that one.

Is it any good?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited May 2014
    Okay, guys. I've been very fortunate over the last few weeks to have won a surprising amount of your giveaways, but have also been in some financial bother so haven't really been able to reciprocate. Thankfully now, I'm able to give at least a little something back. So here, I hope some of you guys want these:

signature.png
    (This is the Complete Edition of XCOM, including Enemy Within and the other DLCs)

signature.png

Open to Adventure Team as seems to be the standard.

Jazz on

I haven't played blacklist yet but Conviction was frankly my favorite game of the series with an amazing evolution of the stealth gameplay. The only thing I would have wanted more of it more chance to be a complete ghost. There were a lot of times where you had no choice but to deal with enemies which I usually hate but at least the game made that part awesome with the mark/execute system.

Blacklist lets you ghost about 95% of the game. The scoring system rewards that as one of its three main playstyles. Mark & Execute is still there, although nerfed hard at higher difficulty settings; but you can use it with non-lethal takedowns as well. You NEED to play Blacklist.

Need.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs downloaded. Off work in a bit. Going to see if it makes my poor, outdated, under-min-spec computer cry alligator tears.

I should probably grab a bottle of wine on the way home... in case it turns into a sob fest...... ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Man that Painkiller HD deal is pretty tempting.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Still got a copy of Thomas was Alone for anyone who wants it. The squares are getting lonely!

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

The only one since then is last year's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, which (IMO) keeps what was good about Conviction (primarily its much more brisk pacing and the ability to use speed for stealth) and marries it to the best features of the old games, so you get back things like gadgets, non-lethal options, the iconic goggles, and so on. It's got an excellent and chilling antagonist, a very solid plot that even includes a few deft nods to some of the real-world concerns of the last couple of years, and has some truly amazing settings across its levels. It's got a ton of side-missions, most of which are co-op or solo playable and a few just co-op. Its scoring system makes it extremely replayable. And it brings back Spies vs Mercs multiplayer.

I cannot recommend Blacklist enough if you ever liked any Splinter Cell game. I picked it up (on 360) last year kind of on a whim and it ended up being my GOTY, no joke. It's by far the best one since Chaos Theory, at the very, very least.

- - - - -

The Wolf Among Us Episode 4? Okay, let's fire up the 360. Yup, there's the download link from in the game (got the season pass) and let's get it... oh.
    a8QWwS1.png

I guess I'll be getting "In Sheepÿÿÿs Clothing" tomorrow.

Nice one, Telltale.

(I know, it's not Steam, but I thought it was funny and wanted to share it with you guys.)

there's a joke here somewhere.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Word is that Ubisoft grossly overestimate/blatantly lied about the minimum specs.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Sega Sporty Pack $4,89:
    SEGA Bass Fishing
    Jet Set Radio
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Virtua Tennis 4

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Word is that Ubisoft grossly overestimate/blatantly lied about the minimum specs.

I'll go with the blatantly lied option.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So my 13 year old daughter is totally obsessed with Assassin's Creed 2 right now. What would you all say should be the next game from that series for her to play?

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Black Flag is the first AC game to pique my interest since playing AC2. I liked AC2, but fresh off a Mirror's Edge high the snap-to freerunning felt ungainly and often Ezio would abandon a pursuit to leap off a roof and ruin some peasant's day. It didn't help that he didn't know how to lead throwing daggers so the frequent pursuits were all repetitive until the gun. Then the overarching story with the Apple (Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple) and the modern timeline bored me to tears, and the time skips were vague and barely indicated, and every time a cutscene rolled around Ezio turned into a moron.

AC2 was really pretty and I loved seeing Venice in all its glory, but it was also really long and I was so fatigued of it by the end that I've just flat out avoided the series since.

s7Imn5J.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    So my 13 year old daughter is totally obsessed with Assassin's Creed 2 right now. What would you all say should be the next game from that series for her to play?

It's sequel, Brotherhood. And after that, Revelations.

Houn wrote: »

Yeah, the AC story really does necessitate chronological order. Brotherhood also happened to be my favorite game in the series (still haven't played black flag yet).

Yep! She will definitely want to play Brotherhood after AC2. Revelations is less required, but still fun in some areas.

edited May 2014
    Black Flag is the first AC game to pique my interest since playing AC2. I liked AC2, but fresh off a Mirror's Edge high the snap-to freerunning felt ungainly and often Ezio would abandon a pursuit to leap off a roof and ruin some peasant's day. It didn't help that he didn't know how to lead throwing daggers so the frequent pursuits were all repetitive until the gun. Then the overarching story with the Apple (Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple) and the modern timeline bored me to tears, and the time skips were vague and barely indicated, and every time a cutscene rolled around Ezio turned into a moron.

AC2 was really pretty and I loved seeing Venice in all its glory, but it was also really long and I was so fatigued of it by the end that I've just flat out avoided the series since.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the Desmond stuff, and thought it would have benefitted greatly if it had been more of the focus of AC3 to give a more full end to the trilogy. I mean it's not like the Conner storyline was a huge step up, it really only set the stage for Black Flag by introducing his dad.

LostNinja on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

Yep! She will definitely want to play Brotherhood after AC2. Revelations is less required, but still fun in some areas.

Agreed. Though if she's into Ezio's story, well, AC2+Brotherhood+Revelations is the Ezio Trilogy; and as much as I hate Ubi for effing up the Desmond Story, the Ezio Story was pretty good, and I LOVED the way it ended.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Some new info about the Street Fighter 4 Steamworks transition that will happen in a few days: http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2014/05/27/ssfivae-gfwl-to-steamworks-transition

edit

Oh, and here's some info about the pricing for the Ultra edition: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/15/ultra-street-fighter-iv-release-dates-console-pc/

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That's weird; random Dead Island Epidemic in my inventory.

Anyway, has anyone given FFIII a go yet? I'm curious how the port is.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Gamestop are selling The Mass Effect Trilogy for $9.98 download, seeing as some people was talking about it earlier. The first two are probably Origin only though instead of a Steam key and I'm not sure what, if any DLC is in the trilogy pack.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Gamestop are selling The Mass Effect Trilogy for $9.98 download, seeing as some people was talking about it earlier. The first two are probably Origin only though instead of a Steam key and I'm not sure what, if any DLC is in the trilogy pack.

Not much, sadly. It should include everything, IMO.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Bump for the evening crowd.
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    My cakeday approaches! In keeping with tradition, I bring presents!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png
    3x copies of skullgirls! Let's see some PAGT matches!

signature.png

signature.png

Unfortunately, I've reached my maximum gift listing, and I have leftovers. I will add another round once these finish! Open to PAGT, ends on Friday noon. Good luck to all!

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    Drovek wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Not much, sadly. It should include everything, IMO.
    It should, but only actually would on the PS3.

For PC, though, expect Bring Down the Sky (ME1; free anyway if not included) and Cerberus Network (ME2; includes Zaeed, Firewalker, Normandy Crash Site, etc). ME3 has its multiplayer expansions for free. Expect to pay for everything else and it will be, sadly, much more than $9.98. But, as Tali would say, "totally worth it".

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.