As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Intergalactic Shaft confirmed!

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Szechuan wrote: »
    This game comes out 2 days after me and my girlfriend's two-year anniversary. Yesterday at the mall, she handed me a preorder slip for this. She's paid it off for me.

See, I bought my boyfriend a 360 for his birthday so that I would then have an excuse to pre-order this.

...Don't look at me like that :(

Okay, so I had a dream last night in which I got to play a demo of this and then I was all excited to come online and assure everyone here that the combat had indeed been improved from the videos and was very smooth to play.

Unfortunately that was all in my imagination.

...or was it? Perhaps Bioware has teamed up with real-live aliens to perform random abductions, making people play-test Mass Effect, then returning them to their homes and altering their minds to think it was a dream.

If that is true, please put me on the abduction list, Bioware/Alien hive-mind people...
    You only wish for it to happen until they reach for the anal probe.

do I even need to bother putting in the 'sounds dangerous...' bit here? Nah, I don't think it's necessary...

I prefer the 'someone up there needs by boot up their ass' line.

Jesus, Shepherd is both a complete fucking badass and the smoothest pilot in this galaxy.

I just killed fifty bodyguards to get in here. What do you think I'm going to do to you?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Keith David needs to stop being in so many games.

WRONG.

Quite the opposite. He needs to be in every game ever.

Quality of a game is directly proportional the the amount of Keith David in it. Fact.

Except Saint's row. Bleech.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game comes out 2 days after me and my girlfriend's two-year anniversary. Yesterday at the mall, she handed me a preorder slip for this. She's paid it off for me.

See, I bought my boyfriend a 360 for his birthday so that I would then have an excuse to pre-order this.

Okay, so I had a dream last night in which I got to play a demo of this and then I was all excited to come online and assure everyone here that the combat had indeed been improved from the videos and was very smooth to play.

...or was it? Perhaps Bioware has teamed up with real-live aliens to perform random abductions, making people play-test Mass Effect, then returning them to their homes and altering their minds to think it was a dream.

If that is true, please put me on the abduction list, Bioware/Alien hive-mind people...

do I even need to bother putting in the 'sounds dangerous...' bit here? Nah, I don't think it's necessary...

I prefer the 'someone up there needs by boot up their ass' line.

Jesus, Shepherd is both a complete fucking badass and the smoothest pilot in this galaxy.

I just killed fifty bodyguards to get in here. What do you think I'm going to do to you?

Im going to fuck you in the ass then go to work on you if you gont get the fuck out of my way. you see this, this is a fucking six ton alien with a frog face and an eight foot gun, and he's following my orders buddy. what the hell do you think im capable of?

this is actual dialog from the game, or so i hear.

The_Scarab on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Keith David needs to stop being in so few games.

Fixed that for ya.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Children wrote: »
    Keith David needs to stop being in so many games.

WRONG.

Quite the opposite. He needs to be in every game ever.

Quality of a game is directly proportional the the amount of Keith David in it. Fact.

Except Saint's row. Bleech.

I had fun times with Saints Row.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

"Greetings, Spectre. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Saren and the Geth armada. "

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Greetings, Spectre. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Saren and the Geth armada. "

"Teriffic. I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax."

Dracomicron on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what think that I've been worrying about with Mass Effect being a trilogy and all is carry over. I forgot if they said anything about it yet but I wonder how they're going to do it. Are they going to allow levels and all that to be carried over or are they just going to do somekind of "load up old data and get easter eggs" type stuff. Because at this moment I don't know which would be better.

I mean I don't want to start the sequel kicking butt, but I would want some kind of carryover items and all that.

Dragkonias on
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think carryover would happen. The protaganist will most likley be different as well, unless they have some thing to load the face from your old game.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You mean like a hard drive? hmm.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alternately, you could always have your previous character be an important one but no longer the protagonist, though I suppose the tracking of alignment would get a bit complicated if you tried to do that. Hm. Yeah, I could see them just saving your face to the HD with the rest of the save info. I mean, assuming they use the same engine, it's pretty much just a 10-item list.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alternately, you could always have your previous character be an important one but no longer the protagonist, though I suppose the tracking of alignment would get a bit complicated if you tried to do that. Hm. Yeah, I could see them just saving your face to the HD with the rest of the save info. I mean, assuming they use the same engine, it's pretty much just a 10-item list.

They are going to be using the same engine. To put it in a BioWare employee's words:
    Bob McCabe wrote:
    Baldur's Gate II was a joy because the engine was done and the designers could go crazy with a finished engine/toolset. The two expansions packs (and all of the DD modules) for Neverwinter Nights were nice for the same reason - even if we didn't make a full-fledged sequel. Knights of the Old Republic? Jade Empire? Mass Effect? All of these were brand new games where we had to start over from scratch. I think, as a company, we're ready to focus more on the design side.

I thought I'd read that every other game in the trilogy is going to feature Shepard as its star too, but I can't seem to find it. I am lazy, though.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Companies are being inclined more and more to develop an engine that will allow expansion in the future so, like I said earlier, I'd imagine the engine Bioware has customised/created is ready for them to drop in a bunch of new missions and character models and still function while they tighten the engine up for better graphics and the like. It won't take anywhere near as long to make the sequel as it did this one.

DarkWarrior on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The reason why the character creation is character rebuilding is because it is the first game.

In a sequel it will look for character data and find it instead of being corrupted, and will load your player from the first game. Not sure whether stats will remain, or skills. But certainly appearance and class.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2007
    Though I'm sure you'll still be able to give Shepard a whole new face in the sequels if you so choose.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Though I'm sure you'll still be able to give Shepard a whole new face in the sequels if you so choose.

If they could work "I thought he was black" into the conversation because you shifted your Shepard that way in the sequel, I'd buy it.

DarkWarrior on
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

If they could work "I thought he was black" into the conversation because you shifted your Shepard that way in the sequel, I'd buy it.

"I heard you were a woman..."

Also: reused save games would be sweet. Continuality over 3 games is always fun (maybe they can just up the difficulty so you can keep your stats). Or maybe you could just meet Shepard, and it'll load one of your previous saves and that'll be him/her.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would prefer the starting from where you left off in sequels, higher level usually means more fun.

For me.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited September 2007
    High levels, with a good leveling system, shouldn't be much of a problem. Look at BG2/ToB. And I mean, DnD is actually not that great of a leveling system. I'd hope that what they've built will allow you to become progressively more epic without making the challenge dip, or the complexity skyrocket.

Also that you fight a dragon a few times.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited September 2007
    But I'm not sure they can do that. Standard business practice means most developers make sequels to still be very accessible to people new to the franchise. Sequels are different from expansion packs.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited September 2007
    But I'm not sure they can do that. Standard business practice means most developers make sequels to still be very accessible to people new to the franchise. Sequels are different from expansion packs.
    Well, exactly. So not so much ToB, but BG2 certainly. I know I played 2 and... well, never 1. I'm pretty certain a lot of players did the same. It also doesn't really require you to know the entire first story, there are new characters, and the old ones explain themselves within minutes, and can be sloughed off. I mean, you're always going to have a certain amount of avoidance by new people, simply because they want to follow the whole story, but it's not impossible.

durandal4532 on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I assume making/remaking shepard/new character is going to be intertwined with a tutorial, probablu along the lines of "Hello Commander Shepard, welcome to the TX-1413 Training module. With this training process, we input a hologram of yourself into the training area. In order to do this, we will need you to create an accurate model of yourself." Cue Character Making screen.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I assume making/remaking shepard/new character is going to be intertwined with a tutorial, probablu along the lines of "Hello Commander Shepard, welcome to the TX-1413 Training module. With this training process, we input a hologram of yourself into the training area. In order to do this, we will need you to create an accurate model of yourself." Cue Character Making screen.

There are videos out of the character creation/intro video.

Character creation screen, it is like using a computer terminal. It says "Accessing records... records corrupted. Please reconstruct." or something to that effect.

DarkPrimus on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There are videos out of the character creation/intro video.

Character creation screen, it is like using a computer terminal. It says "Accessing records... records corrupted. Please reconstruct." or something to that effect.

Ah well that works.

Odd that I never even saw that part and I thought of an idea so close to it.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the way they've integrated even the character creation into the universe, rather than having it as some sort of abstract thing separate from gameplay/story. It reminds me of how you had to answer those questions about yourself with the fortune teller in one of the old Ultima games.

Also, importing your character into the next games would be awesome! Flashes of Quest For Glory!

devoir on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not really reading this thread because I'm attempting to do a media blackout, so if you guys want the thread title changed or whatever (noticed it's been the same old news for a while) shoot me a PM

bruin on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to make Christian Bale for my second play-through.

It's time for space marine Batman.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Make Christian Bale from Newsies instead. Save the galaxy by singing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I swear a Mass Effect video I saw the other day featured one the devs saying they're shooting for November 23rd, not the 20th.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited September 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Make Christian Bale from Newsies instead. Save the galaxy by singing.

Or maybe CB from the Prestige. Saving the galaxy with sleight of hand. Also getting fingers shot off.

Or maybe some glorious combination of all three roles, I shall call him God.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited September 2007
    Bioware announced today that they would be implementing a male homosexual love interest due to popular demand by fans of their upcoming game Mass Effect. Sources in the key content design team have gone on record to say that Christian Bale will be a romantic partner of choice for all genders, due to his enormous mancrush popularity.

devoir on
    edited September 2007
    I find myself laughing.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So if you create Christian Bale, and then later get it on with Christian Bale...then you've got Bale on Bale action? Pretty sure that leads to one of those 'rift in space/time, end of universe' kinda deals...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's what killed the Protheans.

Nartwak on
    edited September 2007
    So if you create Christian Bale, and then later get it on with Christian Bale...then you've got Bale on Bale action? Pretty sure that leads to one of those 'rift in space/time, end of universe' kinda deals...

But you'd die happy.

devoir on
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

"I heard you were a woman..."

Also: reused save games would be sweet. Continuality over 3 games is always fun (maybe they can just up the difficulty so you can keep your stats). Or maybe you could just meet Shepard, and it'll load one of your previous saves and that'll be him/her.

Love interests would be a hassle though.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

But what if they give birth to a Super-Bale?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bale Prime.

DarkPrimus on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Optimus Bale.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg