As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If you're still not quite ready to jump into Gaim, note that the head writer is Gen Urobuchi, whom you may have heard of from such shows as Psycho-Pass, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

If it seems a little silly at first, stick around a bit. Don't be put off by the first glimpse of the pastry chef.

Mister Dangerous is awesome and damn anyone who says otherwise.

He's a goddamn professional. If it can't be done with flair it ain't worth doing!

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I initially thought that Yasu would end up being the most evil character in the show considering the way he
    screwed over Hase, which then led to Hase's downfall and eventual death
    but so far he's been written off as a comic relief foil. That would probably be my biggest gripe with the series.

As it stands, the worst character so far is
    Micchy, who seems to be getting progressively unrepentant with each episode

As much as I became a quick fan of Urobuchi, even I had doubts his works of misery could translate to live action, let alone a series featuring Banana Arms.

But...

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    I started watching Kamen Rider about two months ago and still really hooked on it. Haven't finished Agito/Faiz/Ryuki/Wizard yet (or Decade) but I've watched most of the Heisei stuff and Black. My favorite series right now are probably Kiva, OOO, and W in no particular order.

It's hard to wait for new episodes of Gaim.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

I love the line by the end of that episode that goes roughly...
    ..."Why'd I do it? Because I'm a hero and that's what heroes do; destroy monsters attacking people." Just a big ol' slap to fans who watch Kamen Rider (and to a lesser degree Super Sentai) shows just for that.

• MattypeeMattypee Brisbane, AUSRegistered User regular
    I've only just learned that Japan has an entire genre of power rangers.
    and i am not surprised

Yeah, Super Sentai's been around a long while now. BTW, here's what we could have gotten as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers instead of the initial series they took the footage from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjzsA3WkbTo

Wasn't Zyuranger one of the less popular shows?

No clue. I think the show that supplied Power Rangers Zeo wasn't too hot but that was I think due to plot rewrites over a real-life domestic terrorist attack on the Japanese subways and an earthquake in the same year, to the point that some people claim it nearly killed Super Sentai as a whole. Ironically, the series they got the footage for Power Rangers Turbo, which supposedly nearly killed Power Rangers, saved Super Sentai. Guess it's all how you adapt it.

• CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    gVfcSGV.png
    Oh no the parallels are TOO GOOD. Though I think Mami deserves better than Acorn Guy XD

Other Opinions:
    Bravo is the shit. I love how he's both the Dangerous Overbearing Military guy and the Goofy Camp Guy. I seriously love him and I will fight ya about it.
    Micchi is a SOB, but I think his slow transition from Crafty Goodguy to Actual Villain was handled in a really cool way. Though you'd think we could get a little more justification for why these guys are so hung up on Boring Female Lead.
    And Takatora Melonface is SUPER HOT. Like, TOO MUCH. It's a big problem.

@CubeWatermelon are you going to start collecting the figures? Or better/worse... buying the lock seeds?

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I think I will try to watch Gaim once I finish RPM, though I still need to see the Fourze movies.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    @CubeWatermelon are you going to start collecting the figures? Or better/worse... buying the lock seeds?
    Haha I don't have the kinda disposable cash or space for too many, but I already got this guy:
    03166d8gclbd.jpg

The 7-11s always have a bunch of little toys and every visit is a BATTLE OF WILLS.
    Sometimes a student randomly walks by as I'm slowly turning over a box containing a tiny plastic orange sword. I hope they appreciate how cool and mature I am.

On the topic of adaptations, it's funny how before Disney sold PR back to Saban, RPM could be seen as another franchise-ender. Same deal with taking a comedic Super Sentai show themed around vehicles and making it more serious but it seems like RPM's adaptation actually worked in comparison to Turbo. And while that SS show Go-Onger could get serious at times, it was pretty goofy too. I mean, half the good guys were the sentient Zords which came from another dimension and gave the Go-Onger team their powers simply because Earth's atmosphere rusts them out in a short period of time if they stay Zord-sized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-YCYUeaKg

It has a nice intro BTW.

edited May 2014
    Owenashi wrote: »

I love the line by the end of that episode that goes roughly...
    ..."Why'd I do it? Because I'm a hero and that's what heroes do; destroy monsters attacking people." Just a big ol' slap to fans who watch Kamen Rider (and to a lesser degree Super Sentai) shows just for that.

I wouldn't call it a slap, per say, just as how Madoka Magica was not a slap against Magical Girls (though it tends to get wrongfully criticized for it).

In Gaim's case, I feel like Urobuchi's saying "There's nothing wrong with being a hero....just be prepared to accept the consequences and not save everyone."
    gVfcSGV.png
    Oh no the parallels are TOO GOOD. Though I think Mami deserves better than Acorn Guy XD

Sayaka fits Orange far better than Madoka does. Madoka should be Mai. Homura as Melon and Kyouko as Banana are perfect. A suitable counterpart for Mami has yet to be discovered (maybe Durian since they're both veterans with combat experience?).

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zyuranger was just a middle of the road show, I think, nothing too memorable. Most Japanese fans don't have the attachment to it that Americans do.

They fucking love S.P.D. though.

uyvfOQy.png
    Yeah, I've seen a few episodes and while Zyuranger does have a more coherent plot, MMPR ultimately made it more entertaining.

Plus some of the best Sentai footage was ironically created solely for the American broadcast.

Reynolds wrote: »
    They fucking love S.P.D. though.

Yeah, SPD was pretty cool. It's SS-counterpart Dekaranger seems pretty neat too. They had a nice roll-call, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JcME0NkfQw

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    From what I remember, sentai is usually aimed at elementary school boys, and Kamen Rider at middle schoolers.

Is that what the difference is? I honestly thought all...Tokusatsu's.... were aimed for elementary kids.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    If you're still not quite ready to jump into Gaim, note that the head writer is Gen Urobuchi, whom you may have heard of from such shows as Psycho-Pass, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

HOOKAY! I wanna see this show now...where can I check out these Kamen Rider fruit rangers?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    But I think we can all agree the little hat on Kyubey is perfect.

• mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    From what I remember, sentai is usually aimed at elementary school boys, and Kamen Rider at middle schoolers.

Is that what the difference is? I honestly thought all...Tokusatsu's.... were aimed for elementary kids.

If you wanna get technical, tokusatsu basically means shows that use special effects. A lot of the costumed hero series are aimed towards kids but a few are more general like Kamen Rider specifically and stuff like Godzilla. Garo, mentioned earlier, is also a toku show that fits in with the "costumed hero" theme but has a focused adult demographic (with gore and nudity instead of sparks and colors). It kinda blew my mind learning that tokusatsu wasn't JUST spandex and sparks. :P

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    Incidentally, the thing that drew me into Garo wasn't even the boobies. Garo has some of the best out-of-suit fight choreography I've seen. If you like Castlevania, you'll like the aesthetic too.

One thing I appreciate about Gaim is that while they have a lot of tongue-in-cheek, the whole fruit thing is played fairly straight. Outside of I think Kouta's first reaction to the Orange Arms descent onto his head, everyone has been all "Aight fruit, cool"

I knew Durian arms was gonna be an antagonist cuz durians are goddamn disgusting.

Inx wrote: »
    One thing I appreciate about Gaim is that while they have a lot of tongue-in-cheek, the whole fruit thing is played fairly straight. Outside of I think Kouta's first reaction to the Orange Arms descent onto his head, everyone has been all "Aight fruit, cool"

Actually, Baron's first henshin got a reaction too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPthgvuVrp0

Hm, I'd forgotten about that.

Still, it's nice that there hasn't been a ton of "tee hee fruits" going on.

Also, is it me or is the guy who runs the...fruit...ice cream...bar place (?) the guy who played the lawyer's butler in Ryuki?

During my presentation, I made sure to point out that two of the most popular tokusatsu programs in Japan at the time were Dr. Who and Red Dwarf.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited May 2014
    I watched a few episodes of Garo a while back but haven't been keeping up. But man, the episodes I did see... the fight choreography was awesome and the CGI was way better than I'd expected.

I kind of stopped watching it because I found out I'd basically have to go back and watch the previous series to understand anything going on?

DarkPrimus on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I started watching Gaim at this threads recommendation and I was honestly expecting it to be just fruit based monster of the week.

What I got so far is basically inner city gang violence, conspiracys and family drama. This show is so good.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hm, I'd forgotten about that.

Still, it's nice that there hasn't been a ton of "tee hee fruits" going on.

Also, is it me or is the guy who runs the...fruit...ice cream...bar place (?) the guy who played the lawyer's butler in Ryuki?

You are correct. And Sid is Lion Maru G. Professor Ryoma is from the previous Garo series.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    I KNEW I RECOGNIZED RYOUMA - He's the one with the bow, thank you for that it's been bugging me.

Hey, is the guy playing Raiga in the current season of Garo the same guy who played the villain in the Blade movie? The white Joker?

edited May 2014
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So I started watching Gaim at this threads recommendation and I was honestly expecting it to be just fruit based monster of the week.

What I got so far is basically inner city gang violence, conspiracys and family drama. This show is so good.

Inner city gang violence through card battles and interpretive dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0u86cTsjzM

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoC5Oyf_ss

Edit: Okay, I know they're using lockets, not cards, but Yugioh is literally the only not-Pokemon show I know.

I KNEW I RECOGNIZED RYOUMA - He's the one with the bow, thank you for that it's been bugging me.

Hey, is the guy playing Raiga in the current season of Garo the same guy who played the villain in the Blade movie? The white Joker?

The guy with the scimitar in Garo 2013, Zen the Flame Sword Knight, was also GokaiSilver.

Raiga was in Kiva briefly as Megumi's brother. White Joker/Kamen Rider Glaive is Yuki Kuroda and hasn't been in anything else.

Yeah I knew about GokaiSilver being the best Makai Knight yet, that was awesome. I really enjoyed The One Who Shines in Darkness, it felt a little different from the other seasons.

Do we know what the next KR show is gonna be? They usually start making those announcements around this time, don't they?

A trademark for 'Kamen Rider Drive' was made by Toei not too long ago.

Can't wait to buy a Drive Driver.

uyvfOQy.png
    No clue what he looks like yet, I'm assuming?

I can't be the only one hoping he wears a scorpion jacket.

edited June 2014
    Today's episode of Gaim was the premiere of his (presumably) last Arms. Video clip of it in action is in the box.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMmi_efJZ28

According to released stats, Kiwami's weaker in the punching and kicking department then Kachidoki, trading off the latter's power for combat versatility due to it's ability to use all the Arms weapons (well, all but Sukia most likely due to the sheer size of it's blades).

Owenashi on
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Today's episode of Gaim was the premiere of his (presumably) last Arms. Video clip of it in action is in the box.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMmi_efJZ28

According to released stats, Kiwami's weaker in the punching and kicking department then Kachidoki, trading off the latter's power for combat versatility due to it's ability to use all the Arms weapons (well, all but Sukia most likely due to the sheer size of it's blades).

Yeah, it's a Liner Form (reference to Kamen Rider Den-O, where the mid-grade Climax Form was actually the more powerful form).

• AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    Switch on (Your Famicom.)

http://youtu.be/K0n-ED3ZYrE

These are quite delightful.

Think we'll ever see Kachidoki again outside of the Kiwami transformation sequence? I'll miss that suit, it's awesome looking.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You guys this thread has been around for a while and I know what it's actually about and all but I STILL want it to be about tonkatsu

I keep going oh the pork cutlet thread

So... pork cutlet anyone?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.