As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running a D&D 5e/Next campaign?

interlocutorinterlocutor Registered User new member
I'm a long-time lurker who was recently coaxed out of hiding by the prospect of running a campaign. This would be my fourth time running a PbP online-only campaign (and about my tenth time running a campaign), so I think I have most of the basics down. I've had the good fortune to have the others go pretty well, lasting around 3 months each.

However, this time around I'd like to try playing with (1) more-or-less Internet strangers from the PA forums rather than people I know well, (2) DnD Next because I haven't played with it before, and (3) taking better advantage of the online tools that are out there.

So my questions are:

(1) I assume it's not just "post it, and they will come", so I'd like to do a little more than my usual campaign prep work. What's the right way to maximize my chances of attracting enthusiastic players in Critical Failures, and ultimately running a fun campaign for everyone?

(2) What tools, besides the forum dice roller, should I be availing myself of? (Mapmakers, character sheet trackers, etc., that sort of thing -- anything that'll make player life easier and create a fun experience.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'd recommend just posting a recruitment thread in CF. If people are interested, they'll respond. You could also make a post in the Roleplaying Games or D&D Next threads.

Next doesn't have many online tools currently available; as far as die rollers are concerned, there's Invisible Castle and Orokos, both of which are commonly used here. For maps, a lot of people use MapTool (both for live games & PbP map-making). There's a fan-made character builder available for Next here.

Best of luck with your campaign.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d6+9 for chance in ten that the story is what matters most.

chance in ten that the story is what matters most:
    1d6+9 13 [1d6=4]

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    For PbP roll20.net beats the pants off of Maptools IMO. Roll20 will give you a continual map that will always be accessible online without you having to have Maptools always open on your computer.

I'll second asking in the general RPG thread and the D&D Next thread for players. I...uh...would make it clear you're trying to run a serious game, at least in the latter thread. We are generally down on the system but don't let that stop you. I don't think we're jerks enough to really get in the way of actual discussion if somebody tries to have some.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    For PbP roll20.net beats the pants off of Maptools IMO. Roll20 will give you a continual map that will always be accessible online without you having to have Maptools always open on your computer.

I'll second asking in the general RPG thread and the D&D Next thread for players. I...uh...would make it clear you're trying to run a serious game, at least in the latter thread. We are generally down on the system but don't let that stop you. I don't think we're jerks enough to really get in the way of actual discussion if somebody tries to have some.

...Wow.

I have learned something important today.

*Bookmarked*

Now I feel like the well intentioned HTML instructor who tell everyone to use Geocities as a CMS. :|

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, roll20 is way better for a lot of games (it even has an Edge of the Empire plugin somewhere for rolling the new Star Wars dice). I still use MapTools for my One Roll Engine and Shadowrun games (when playing in real time, NOT play by post), though, because the scripting engine in roll20 is not as robust as I would like it to be (in my Shadowrun framework, I can automatically calculate glitches, limits, extended tests, and process soak/defense rolls automatically while keeping track of the increasing penalty for defense mods/extended rolls, etc. You can do some of this in Roll20, but not all of it).

For PbP forum games, however, I actually suggest using pyromancers.com and using their forum scene viewer option (which is designed specifically for DnD play by post games):
    http://pyromancers.com/rpg-forum-scene-viewer/

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Roll20 is the best thing ever.